Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

It's a meat wall. Come back later or use all your resources.

What people who poo poo themselves to praise prey. They forget to say the combat sucks. That never changes.

combat reflexes + shotgun makes fools of all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

beep by grandpa posted:

I literally can't think of anything else to do in yak0 but blitz the story (I think I'm on chapter 10? kiryu is about to go to sotenbori for the first time). Except maxing out CP and unlocking the rest of the final tree but that'll be like farming enemies and playing lots of minigames which doesn't sound worth my time

The plot is about to get insane for the next 15 hrs

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Over There posted:

I'm still pretty early in the game and getting killed instantly by the bigger enemies. Am I supposed to just be shooting them with the freezing gun then whacking them with a crowbar or do I need to find another weapon?

There are several explosives in most areas that will help. There's no need to be stingy with Neuromods either.

Bombadilillo posted:

It's a meat wall. Come back later or use all your resources.

What people who poo poo themselves to praise prey. They forget to say the combat sucks. That never changes.

Yea, blasting everything around me with my mind was a bore :rolleyes:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Combat is one of the possible specialty paths so yeah, it sucks until you spend some skill points. It'll still suck if you choose to specialize in non-combat, but then you have options other than personally firing guns at the enemies to accomplish your objectives.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Does Prey run well on a pspoor?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m wondering about this too. I loved the weird as gently caress plot, environments and the monster design in the first but the gameplay was 100% the opposite of everything I like in a game.

The action is very similar to The Evil Within 1, however the pacing is totally changed for the better overall. Basically it's a semi-open world game, and while it still has a lot of sudden holy poo poo moments of enemies popping out at you, it's much less oppressive than Evil Within 1 where you'd turn a corner and suddenly have tons of durable foes in your face killing you in like two seconds. There's a lot of hiding behind cover and observing groups of enemies and planning out how to deal with them with the same set of tools you had in the first game, so get to actually use all your stuff and plan out cool ways to do things.

It can still be hard at times but it's impressive that it manages to have those Evil Within 1/old Resident Evil level jump scares and oh poo poo I'm trapped now feelings going on in it despite a lot of the game being in much more open spaces or just being straight up outside more often. Plus it manages to still feel weird and moody despite you knowing why stuff is the way it is from the first game which is impressive. They wisely have some long stretches of time where there's almost no enemies and you're just seeing unusual stuff/figuring poo poo out.

tldr: They kept the core of how Evil Within 1 works intact while better balancing a lot of the stuff that made it bad.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Samuringa posted:

Yea, blasting everything around me with my mind was a bore :rolleyes:

Yeah

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

nachos posted:

You're going to suffer with the loading times on the last 15% of the game or so.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The Evil Within 1 is one of my favorite horror shooters and imo its faults are overstated. But I guess the game just clicks for me.

I havent played TEW2 because it looks kinda... bad? Plus I liked that TEW was a pretty linear experience

I should just get on with it and get it anyway

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

nachos posted:

Yes, besides some lengthy loading times.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Prey got patched several times and it's now much better than it was at launch.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The only thing that Evil Within 2 shares with Evil Within 1 is the third person perspective and some of the crafting. Everything else feels different.

It keeps some of the wacky stuff - like I'll spoil something that's revealed in the first 5 minutes - the entire thing takes place in a collective hallucination stored on a computer and managed by a psychic host.

So they have license to just gently caress around and be weird and create tension, and after a 30 minute setpiece they pretty much do just that. In a pretty open world. Which really impressed me.

I liked Evil Within 1 a lot. I loved Evil Within 2.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Evil Within 2 gives up some of the quirky and interesting stuff from the first, but it plays so much better. The open world stuff is pretty well done, sneaking through environments is tense and side challenges are interesting, and there are plenty of linear sections to keep things varied. The original is for people who are willing to put up with a lot of bullshit to get a unique horror game, but I'd recommend 2 to anyone.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Is it tedious as in like how the silent hill games were? because those were really annoying but really good

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

WaltherFeng posted:

The Evil Within 1 is one of my favorite horror shooters and imo its faults are overstated. But I guess the game just clicks for me.

I havent played TEW2 because it looks kinda... bad? Plus I liked that TEW was a pretty linear experience

Evil Within 2 owns, there are a few things in the first one that I do like more (I love Evil Within 1 also :hfive: ) and honestly I think I'd go as far as to say I like Evil Within 1 more overall, but definitely give 2 a shot. If you're not sure with how often it's on sale I'm sure it will be super cheap at some end of the year sale or whatever. They make great companion games to each other.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Over There posted:

Is it tedious as in like how the silent hill games were? because those were really annoying but really good

Not at all, it plays like a stealth-action game like TLOU.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Evil within 1 played terribly from what I remember, was it patched/better PROformence?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

acksplode posted:

Not at all, it plays like a stealth-action game like TLOU.

oh no

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Any opinions on STEEP? Ssx3 is my favorite game of all time, and I liked SSX 2012(?) A lot. I heard steep was not well reviewed when it came out, but that the general opinion has changed over time due to patches + added content. Thoughts?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I don't mean that the presentation or setting is anything like TLOU, but you can pretty much do anything Joel can. Crouch, hide, craft, shoot, set traps, etc. You'll spend your time stealthing past enemies or fighting them, and they're both fun.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Absolver is fun like heck. Customizing my fighting still is great and now I want another God Hand. Finding the 'marked' enemies is a pain but I've spent most of my time dueling other players. Try it if you have PS+!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

beep by grandpa posted:

I literally can't think of anything else to do in yak0 but blitz the story (I think I'm on chapter 10? kiryu is about to go to sotenbori for the first time). Except maxing out CP and unlocking the rest of the final tree but that'll be like farming enemies and playing lots of minigames which doesn't sound worth my time

if you've done all the substories (i think they all get unlocked by chapter 10?) you might as well power through. however i would explore the gently caress out of sotenbori as kiryu. you've still got some worthy poo poo left to unlock that you should do there. i am being vague because i cant remember if you've unlocked it by chapter 10

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I never got to play 2 so maybe it would be worth it. Certainly sounds like a big improvement.

you gotta play through 2 now we're finally getting 3.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

Renoistic posted:

Absolver is fun like heck. Customizing my fighting still is great and now I want another God Hand. Finding the 'marked' enemies is a pain but I've spent most of my time dueling other players. Try it if you have PS+!

Wish I knew what I was doing in PvP. Its just been a constant parade of my character never seeming to do what I want, as I get whittled down by the same rapid fire punches.

I can't even reset my combos to their default settings, so I'm unsure if it's my choices or some other screwy element.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'm pumped to spend my independence day tomorrow finishing a game where it's certain my dude will go to jail at the end :911:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Vikar Jerome posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE_xPfHP0dY

gently caress yes. also physical edition comes with a poster and reversible cover.

This rules.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I just logged into my PSN account from my PC - which I've done numerous times over many years - and for the first time I'm getting a prompt to update my account info. Name, residential address etc. My first name has two names in it, and this is also how it's written on my credit card. However, I'm getting an error message saying that there can't be a space in the first name column and it won't let me log in unless I change it. I've had this account, with the same name registered, since more or less the launch of PSN. And with all the problems reported about payment options suddenly not working I'm really hesitant to change anything.
No problems logging in on the console, btw. Browser only.

Have any of you experienced this?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

WaltherFeng posted:

2 is very good (at least the first half imo) and dont worry, they squander the open world really hard. Follow the objective markers and youll be trapped in a sewer corridor in no time. Most of the game is linear aside from 2-3 explore sections

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

2 is very good (at least the first half imo) and dont worry, they squander the open world really hard. Follow the objective markers and youll be trapped in a sewer corridor in no time. Most of the game is linear aside from 2-3 explore sections

Yeah, I'm maybe 2/3 of the way through the game and while the open sections are great, the rest is a disappointment by comparison.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Renoistic posted:

I played 30 minutes or so and thought it expected too much from me. There are intricate, customized combos, timed hits, stance switching on the fly, feints, defense, guard, evade, abilities...

Feel like a Fighting Game in the amount of stuff you're supposed to learn, but applied on a Brawler game.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Safeword posted:

Wish I knew what I was doing in PvP. Its just been a constant parade of my character never seeming to do what I want, as I get whittled down by the same rapid fire punches.

I can't even reset my combos to their default settings, so I'm unsure if it's my choices or some other screwy element.

It's important to know which stances the various attacks will put you in. This will decide which combos you can create. My favorite combo is a combo that does two quick attacks (square x 2) and then a large leg sweep (triangle) that dodges middle and high attacks, and then goes back to the original stance. I also have a combo that resets my stance after two square attacks which means I can just press square and do the same two punches infinitely, which has worked great as pressure against enemies who wants to be in my face.

It's really important to have a good mix of quick attacks which can cancel enemy attacks, and powerful ones that can avoid high attacks.

Abuse the right stick dodge. If you time it correctly it will leave enemies wide open. Don't button mash. If you time your combos correctly the character will flash and you recover stamina.

Samuringa posted:

I played 30 minutes or so and thought it expected too much from me. There are intricate, customized combos, timed hits, stance switching on the fly, feints, defense, guard, evade, abilities...

Feel like a Fighting Game in the amount of stuff you're supposed to learn, but applied on a Brawler game.

I played for about two hours and loved it. The game is basically God Hand x Demon's Souls, but with a coop system that doesn't suck, so team up with a player or two and none of the normal enemies will pose a problem. Mess around with the training mode and I'm sure the game will click.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 3, 2018

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Yeah, it's being thrown in the deep end that annoyed me a bit - as well as the lack of "go back to default combos". Kinda face rolled my way through the campaign, so this vertical difficulty drop threw me off.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

I got the God Hand vibe but I felt they just went a bit too far

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
A more thorough tutorial might have done the game good, but I've personally waited for a decent character action game for ages (don't have a Wii U / switch so no Bayonetta 2) and Absolver was just what I needed. I love figuring out systems like these. But the game is a lot nicer to new players than God Hand haha

The PVP is definitely structured like a fighting game, complete with rounds and rematches. You get some XP even if you loose a match, without ever loosing progress, so it's not bad at all IMHO.

Edit: The framerate can get really bad while exploring which is unfortunate, though.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 3, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I like how even the power of the PS4 Pro isn't enough to render the PSN store at a stable frame rate.

I always thought that was just my wireless router is that really what it is do Sony not know how to do anything except CD players and 2008 TV sets?

e: My 2008 good-panel Sony Bravia is FUKEN GREAT tho so that's enough for me.

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 minutes!
So awesome that Red Faction: Guerrilla Remastered just came out; I hadn't even known they were working on it. Yet another one of my favorite games is now on PS4. :getin:

The physics system in that game is so great and destroying buildings and bridges is way more fun than it should be. So many options. Take a sledgehammer through it inch by inch. Or blow it up with demolition charges or rockets. Or knock it down with a construction mech. Or blow holes through it within a disintegration gun. You can ram a hole through a wall with a vehicle. There are so many inventive ways to complete missions with those tools. Do you rescue your guys from prison by painstakingly going through the building and killing all the guards or do you just ram a hole through their cell then honk your horn for them to jump in then tear rear end out of there?

So, so good.

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 minutes!

beep by grandpa posted:

I'm pumped to spend my independence day tomorrow finishing a game where it's certain my dude will go to jail at the end :911:

Yeah... you're gonna be disappointed. It doesn't actually happen in 0.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
acksplode, enjoy Edith Finch! it’s so loving great. anyone who hasn’t played it already should get it on this sale.

Nier update I did the DLC and the final story was absolutely incredible. It was getting me emotional but funnily enough I didn’t come close to crying until I reopened the game and read the email. poor Plato :( Wish you’d gotten to see his freakout/how he went from being so awful to being able to gently caress everyone up, but I assume that’s a budget thing.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

...! posted:

So awesome that Red Faction: Guerrilla Remastered just came out; I hadn't even known they were working on it. Yet another one of my favorite games is now on PS4. :getin:

The physics system in that game is so great and destroying buildings and bridges is way more fun than it should be. So many options. Take a sledgehammer through it inch by inch. Or blow it up with demolition charges or rockets. Or knock it down with a construction mech. Or blow holes through it within a disintegration gun. You can ram a hole through a wall with a vehicle. There are so many inventive ways to complete missions with those tools. Do you rescue your guys from prison by painstakingly going through the building and killing all the guards or do you just ram a hole through their cell then honk your horn for them to jump in then tear rear end out of there?

So, so good.

My all time favorite RFG moment was seeing a hostage location on the map driving over to it by way of mountain taking a huge jump off the mountain and slamming my truck through the building collapsing 2/3s of it killing 2 hostages and all the bad dudes in the process.

That game owned and I had no idea there was a remaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches
Could someone comment on how the recent kickstarted rpgs like Pillars of Eternity, Torment, and Divinity play on ps4? I assume they don't play well, but I assumed the same for Diablo 3 and it was awesome.