Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

RillAkBea posted:

Also everyone hoping for a tournament arc, prepare to have your balls sharply tugged in the post credits sequence. It's another big bad and they're after Sara oh em gee. Hell maybe she'll get lucky and new big bad will treat her like an actual person.

:sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

Yup, it was another barely unique 00 clone. Does Riku just not own any other colors?

To be mildly fair, that's par for protagonists in all the Build series. Even the Star Build Strike was just the Build Strike with some pink crystals stuck in it and a new backpack.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ayame should have been a 40 year old fat dude playing a anime girl ingame. :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Bandai, you motherfuckers better come through with HGBC BearGguy parts or you are leaving money on the goddamn table :shepspends:.

I actually like the 00 Sky's design. Compared to like the Try Burning Gundam and Star Build, it looks like it's actually a fairly extensive customization. The run of various Forces (and tertiary characters) in the OP is also somewhat in favour of something tournament-like if not a major Force vs Force event thing. Also I'm guessing the green-haired girl is gonna be Nanami.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I actually like the 00 Sky's design.

I can't say as I do; the shoulders look like an overcomplicated mess that's too wide for it's own good and the difference in size between the stomach and waist makes it look like it accidentally pulled on a pair of pants about 3 sizes too big for it. I think the ugliness of the new design and implication this is introducing a new bad guy with an ebil plot somehow involving Sara, one of the dullest and least interesting members of a cast chock full of dull, un-interesting characters has basically killed my interest in the show though.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

It was played for laughs during the episode but thinking about it now, Riku was kind of a dick to all the people who helped him.

"Hey Riku, good to see you buddy. That mass diver incident was pretty crazy huh?"
:spergin:"Shut up and give me new gunpla ideas"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

It was played for laughs during the episode but thinking about it now, Riku was kind of a dick to all the people who helped him.

"Hey Riku, good to see you buddy. That mass diver incident was pretty crazy huh?"
:spergin:"Shut up and give me new gunpla ideas"

One thing I'll give it credit for is they at least try to lead the audience to he's replaced the dual blades with a single big sword instead of the generaal upgrade coming straight out of nowhere (crazy-mindtrip "inspiration" non-withstanding); Every major kill he's made has been with using one sword instead of both.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Gotta say it's a super smart move. Putting all the animation into the op, since it plays every episode they'll get a lot of milage out of it. The actual episode can just be a clip show with lots of scenery shots.

The cardboard kid and his teammate gundamwiki have done one and a half force battles, probably not even enough matches to get a ranking. And a handful of fights that end in talking most of the time. Yet GBN's top players are so loving thirsty for a fight. I wish I understood what they see in him.

That bullshit line "if we ever met I wanted to tell you." You carry 00 Diver in your pocket. It goes with you everywhere. Just loving talk to it if you really want to.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know this got harped on a lot after last episode, but this episode added that GPD allows for anime martial arts communication-through-fighting. GPD is just so much better than GBN

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Wait how old is Ayame supposed to be? I thought she was supposed to be around Riku's age but Koichi looked like he was ready to start macking on her in this episode.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raxivace posted:

Wait how old is Ayame supposed to be? I thought she was supposed to be around Riku's age but Koichi looked like he was ready to start macking on her in this episode.

High school, I think. She was a lot taller than Riku and his classmates.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I know this got harped on a lot after last episode, but this episode added that GPD allows for anime martial arts communication-through-fighting. GPD is just so much better than GBN

I forget. Is GBN the mmo and GPD the console arcade? Or is it vice versa? Did build fighters have a name for their game?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Gundam Build Fighters: It's just called Gunpla Battle (Using tech by PPSE)
Gundam Build Fighters TRI: Still called Gunpla Battle (Using tech by Yajima Trading)
Gundam Build Divers: Gunpla Battle Nexus Online (GBN: MMO), and GunPla Duel (GPD: totally-not-the-tech-from-BF-and-TRI)

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

So Ayame is going to be the main token girl member now? The lack of Momoka in the new OP is disturbing. At least MageeXRommel looks promising.

The kid from Ayame's old force has its own chibi force, huh?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zedd posted:

Ayame should have been a 40 year old fat dude playing a anime girl ingame. :colbert:

I think we all know the best real life ID for MMO girls is a six foot college student with a love for p 90s.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lurking Haro posted:

So Ayame is going to be the main token girl member now? The lack of Momoka in the new OP is disturbing. At least MageeXRommel looks promising.

The kid from Ayame's old force has its own chibi force, huh?

Ayame seems to be pretty popular(possibly because the show has actually given her screentime, imagine that), so it wouldn't surprise me if she got more focus.

Speaking of Ayame, I don't know what the point of having the game take place in a VR MMO with avatars is if all of the protagonists' avatars are the same as they are in real life, but with different clothes. I really wanted one of them to have a random animal person avatar or something just for variety's sake.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kanos posted:

Speaking of Ayame, I don't know what the point of having the game take place in a VR MMO with avatars is if all of the protagonists' avatars are the same as they are in real life, but with different clothes. I really wanted one of them to have a random animal person avatar or something just for variety's sake.

I'm assuming it's because they figured it would confuse kids. But yeah it's way disappointing

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm assuming it's because they figured it would confuse kids. But yeah it's way disappointing

Rommel irl turns out to actually be an erskine that logs in while his owner goes out.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

AtheistMantis posted:

Rommel irl turns out to actually be an erskine that logs in while his owner goes out.
Reminds me of a book I read as a kid.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That is a rad dog.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
100% somebody came up with that title first and wrote a book to match it

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

chumbler posted:

That is a rad dog.

Rastafy him by about 10% or so.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Reminds me of a book I read as a kid.

Please don't doxx me.

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
I like Ayame because she actually has something akin to a personality, nearly two whole dimensions to her character, and her transforming SD suit is actually cool. I wish this show were her, Koichi, and Hacker Guy in a weird june-july-edgetober romance triangle via the medium of giant robot fights in Gundam Breaker Online, which I also wish was a real game.

At least this show's given me a bunch of cool looking model kits and the wishful hope of a Daughtress kit at some point maybe so it's not a total waste of potential.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who here is excited for Gimm & Ball's World Challenge?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't like the look of the new Gundam 00.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Still waiting for a force to take on the Cucuran Doaz's Island BBQ mission.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

IronCastKnight posted:

I like Ayame because she actually has something akin to a personality, nearly two whole dimensions to her character, and her transforming SD suit is actually cool. I wish this show were her, Koichi, and Hacker Guy in a weird june-july-edgetober romance triangle via the medium of giant robot fights in Gundam Breaker Online, which I also wish was a real game.

Everyone on the main crew should have gotten an episode to themselves like Koichi and Ayame did, because that did wonders for both of their characters and made it so I give one tenth of a poo poo about the two of them. Yukki and Momoka have gotten literally nothing and it's actually becoming really weird. I think Magee has had as much or more screentime at this point than Yukki and Momoka.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kanos posted:

I think Magee has had as much or more screentime at this point than Yukki and Momoka.

You say that like it's a problem. The show could, if anything, use more Magee.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

But imagine a world where the cast that hangs out 90% of the time had a little bit of development.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Imagine a world where the Momokapool and Gabaldy Rebake got screentime.

Imagine a world where Yukki had some personality.

Instead we get a world where Riku mentions how much his friends helped him, even though he went off on his own to solo the big bag in both GBN and GPD. And everyone else can't help but tell him constantly how great he is.

I skipped like 1/4 of this last episode (all the clipshow parts) and I might be done with it altogether.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I have to agree this show has consistently done it's best to stomp on any good will I had towards it. We're over half way through and I'm having trouble believing how much screen time they've managed to waste. The prelogue alone was a better show than the show in its entirity.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Guy Goodbody posted:

High school, I think. She was a lot taller than Riku and his classmates.

And how old is Koichi? Because there still might be an issue.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kuroyama posted:

And how old is Koichi? Because there still might be an issue.

I think in this case you've all taken the wrong end of the stick and assumed a lot worse than a brief passing thought of "wow, she's cute", because the rest of the episode (still frames and all) he just treats her like normal.

Don't forget he's a recovering goony shut-in.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
I'm not going to lie, but Ayame is my number one favourite character among the main team, followed by Koicchi. She's got a personality with multiple aspects to it, (well, 2. Stoic ninja roleplayer and repressed lover of the fluffiness) a past and was actually connected to the plot up till now. Koicchi also has a past, but after his introductory episode he was quickly shuffled off to the background and fixed all his personal hangups, only coming back into the plot at the last minute. "Wait, the bad guy was my best buddy all along? I am shocked!"

Momoka comes in third as she used to have football and aggressive recruiting practices to make her stand out, but right now she's become the provider of slapstick comedy.

Riku is the protag, Sarah honestly hasn't been up to much beyond talking about the soul of gunpla and handing out deus est machina though this arc looks like it will be all about her so she may get more to her.
And yukki...well I guess his role pretty much ended when he introduced Riku to Gunpla in like the first scene of the show. He's the sidekick is how I'd best describe him. Which is like no description at all.

I knew the whole episode would be a setup for the reveal of the new and improved 00-diver, so when the opening started with it front and center, they kinda spoiled the surprise. Then again, it was there in the preview last week, wasn't it?

The first scene was on the rooftop garden of the Gunpla megastore, I believe. Speaking of which, wasn't there a tomato-patch around here and didn't the shopgirl have the habit of handing out tomatoes to customers? What happened to that?

"You look just like your avatar!" Oh, be quiet. You all look just like your avatars! At this point it's not a surprise anymore.

As for the opening, the new song hasn't gotten in my head yet like the previous one, so it hasn't wowed me. As for the theme, I'd sum the opening up as "You get an upgrade, and you get an upgrade, you two both get upgrades! You get a new paintjob and you get...to use the upgrade you already had all this time." Also, I just noticed that the forehead gem on Magee's ride is heartshaped and that's absolutely perfect.

Yukki gets...something with two over the shoulder cannons. It's also got wings, what's possibly a torso-cannon and a visor. So a touch of Double X there, mass-production machine instead of Gundam but fed-style, not Zeonic. I don't recognize the head, the wings or anything else so I can't tell what machine it's based on. It doesn't look like a GM to me though. His upgrade also kinda vanished in the rest of the opening, to be replaced with the old GM III. So I may just have imagined it.

Also for everyone who was thinking or hoping that Magee was Nanami all along (I admit, I was one of them because it would have been funny.), the new opening pretty much torpedoes that theory. Unless some stranger really decided they just had to make their avatar look like a green-haired Nanami in spray-can-fairy getup. But I don't think it's that kind of show.

On to more important stuff. I have to admit I half-tuned out most of the episode. It was after all a recap/clipshow framed under "Hey there, remember that time we met and did things? Yeah, good times.".

In hindsight, it amuses me how quick the 00 diver is shuffled off for the new gunpla kit (preorder now!) after achieving its full potential. Riku is freed from his self-imposed no trans-am promise, unlocks the full potential of the 00 and in two episodes he proceeds to break all his weapons on the invulnerable Zam without accomplishing anything, then wreck the 00 Diver next week and make it look like outdated junk. Oops. Also, I think he used its super-special finisher like...once? I'm talking about the A-shaped cut he used against the Rommel-team. And given that he's searching for his super-special finisher this week, I guess that one didn't count.

So the 00 Diver Sky, it isn't the kind of design that catches me from the first scene but then again, neither did the 00 diver or its Ace version. It's still a 00 in 00 colours, now with bits stuck on. The GN-drives have gone back to pointy and gotten some blue stuck on to make the whole thing look even wider. As in, have to go through doors sideways wide. The back-weapons at first made me think F91, but Riku isn't a gun-guy. Seeing as how the backguns detach and also function as a switchblade with a single-beam edge, along with the beam-wings, I'm getting more of a destiny-vibe from it now. The lineart makes it look more armoured in general. The hips are covered by the front skirts now, for example. The sword-guns are two rectangular blocks while stowed which clashes with the pointyness of the rest of the machine.

I do genuinely like the clear piece over the cut torso. It makes it feel less like "I dressed up a new 00 and claim it's got the old one's heart", and more "I dressed up my old 00." I've looked at a preview photo of the kit, but I can't tell if that piece is also clear on the model but if it is, I doubt the underlying piece will have the cut. Or be white for that matter. Ah well, nothing a knife can't fix/break. Overall, I think I like the sky better than the ace. The new bulk really makes it look beefier and integrates the gn-drives better even though they've ironically gotten even bigger.

And there was this accessory set that was announced a while back. The angel-wings? The Sky-High wings. I wonder if the 00 Sky comes with a set given the name.

Finally the new ending is adorable and I must know. Chinaguy and 00-sky...how much glue would it need?

maninthesuit fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 4, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

maninthesuit posted:

So the 00 Diver Sky, it isn't the kind of design that catches me from the first scene but then again, neither did the 00 diver or its Ace version. It's still a 00 in 00 colours, now with bits stuck on. The GN-drives have gone back to pointy and gotten some blue stuck on to make the whole thing look even wider. As in, have to go through doors sideways wide. The back-weapons at first made me think F91, but Riku isn't a gun-guy. Seeing as how the backguns detach and also function as a switchblade with a single-beam edge, along with the beam-wings, I'm getting more of a destiny-vibe from it now. The lineart makes it look more armoured in general. The hips are covered by the front skirts now, for example. The sword-guns are two rectangular blocks while stowed which clashes with the pointyness of the rest of the machine.

One of the blink-and-miss-it shots is of Riku holding a Destiny Gundam box. The lineart also shows the new weapons aren't identical; The left one is a heavy beam cannon, the right is a two-hander beamsaber.

edit:

Gundam Kits Collection has some of the new models from the OP. We have;

HG Build Diver Girl Model (tentative)

Jegan Blast Master (Aka; Yukki's probable new gunpla), and it has twin Satellite Cannons.

Impulse Gundams in Ark and Ransche flavour.

Gundam 00 Sky [Higher Than Sky Phase], which is a lighter blue than the regular version and has a bunch of effect parts.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jul 4, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah the Sky's flippy giant sword and beam cannon are straight off the Destiny with some modifications. The Destiny racked its anti-ship sword and anti-ship cannon almost the same way.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm still waiting for the reveal that Sarah is actually an NPC that Riku and Yukki have been dragging around without realizing she's not a player.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
So Yuki's new Gunpla is his original Gunpla, but with extra bits on the shoulders, and two big back-mounted weapons, and he's even got a clear panel over the top of the chest.

Are the creators of the show now admitting that Yuki and Rikku are basically the same person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

So Yuki's new Gunpla is his original Gunpla, but with extra bits on the shoulders, and two big back-mounted weapons, and he's even got a clear panel over the top of the chest.

Are the creators of the show now admitting that Yuki and Rikku are basically the same person?

Nah, it’s an all-new kit - it’s a Jegan rather than a GM III, with scratch-built gun-feet, a Strike Freedom-style chest cannon and hip-mounted rifles, and the transparent panel is there as a receiver for the pair of satellite cannons it’s got strapped to its back. it’s actually pretty impressively insane.

• Locked thread