Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
My jealousy of the Finesparks tag reminds me that I've been meaning to start practicing Zero Mission. Maybe a Castlevania too, but I'm not sure which one. PoR or OoE maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

i'm thinking of running bionic commando 2009 and i don't know what's wrong with me

I mean aside for the last 10 minutes with the final boss and the QTE-fest that follows it's a legit speedgame with great movement tech and some amazing glitches so small wonder you're considering runnin. Game good run good, community smol

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kikas posted:

I mean aside for the last 10 minutes with the final boss and the QTE-fest that follows it's a legit speedgame with great movement tech and some amazing glitches so small wonder you're considering runnin. Game good run good, community smol

:hmmyes:

mostly it's just my apprehension of "my first speedrun game" being something that at best is still a bit over an hour long. also i still have a sour taste for the story in the game being dumb and bad-- parts of it hilariously so but most of it just being ughhhhhhhhh.

that said it's a game i played a lot when it first came out because of how fun it was. mostly just hate the story even though i'd be skipping the whole thing lol

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It's cool to see the WR Progression Video idea branching out to more video makers and more games. Here's a couple I ran into recently from sources other than Summoning Salt:

Pokemon Snap any%:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhesU1gVI-I

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door any%:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD5EUpsZNCA

This one I think was linked before but Super Mario Sunshine any%:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oudZMniib08

This is a really cool concept! I’ll have to watch these when I get home

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

mostly it's just my apprehension of "my first speedrun game" being something that at best is still a bit over an hour long. also i still have a sour taste for the story in the game being dumb and bad-- parts of it hilariously so but most of it just being ughhhhhhhhh.

that said it's a game i played a lot when it first came out because of how fun it was. mostly just hate the story even though i'd be skipping the whole thing lol

An hour is really okay for learning speedrunning, even with full attemps, you can fit a lot of those in a day.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.
So obviously Im a bit biased here but still gonna post thoughts.

Ultimately, speedrunning is about getting good at something you like doing. The timer isnt really anything other than a convenient measuring tool. If you play games you like and just set goals incrementally, you can have a ton of fun with it.

As far as an hour being too long, I find an hour to be a pretty convenient length as someone who works filltime. Its short enough that it doesnt tank my entire evening after work, but long enough to discourage just resetting the moment anything goes wrong since Ive got a limited window anyways.

The story is definitely bad but sometimes dunking on a terrible story can be part of the fun too.

Kaubocks posted:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

Its short enough that it doesnt tank my entire evening after work, but long enough to discourage just resetting the moment anything goes wrong since Ive got a limited window anyways.

this is actually a really interesting perspective i hadn't considered. thanks!

sometime this week i'll almost certainly replay the game casually just to see how i feel about it. the swinging in that game is so good and the item fly you pulled off in your run seemed fun as hell. also the way you guys mentioned how inconsistent the game could be made me think it'd be a funny game to race if i ever got good at it, haha

since i've got your attention, you know of any info i should check out if i decide to start speedrunning it? i doubt there are many resources/guides or a discord channel out there for the vibrant biocom2k9 scene

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Kaubocks posted:

I'm going to agree with Murph on this one, given that most of the runs I really like doing are about this length. When you're starting out fight the urge to just reset constantly, getting in full game runs is just as important as practicing individual sections (and if you reset a lot you're really just practicing the first part a ton).

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.

Kaubocks posted:

sometime this week i'll almost certainly replay the game casually just to see how i feel about it. the swinging in that game is so good and the item fly you pulled off in your run seemed fun as hell. also the way you guys mentioned how inconsistent the game could be made me think it'd be a funny game to race if i ever got good at it, haha

since i've got your attention, you know of any info i should check out if i decide to start speedrunning it? i doubt there are many resources/guides or a discord channel out there for the vibrant biocom2k9 scene

Im not really aware of any resources except maybe my very dated notes on SDA. A vast majority of the game is just learning to move intuitively and then figuring out the best way to use your resources, so just playing through is a great way to make progress for a while.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

Im not really aware of any resources except maybe my very dated notes on SDA. A vast majority of the game is just learning to move intuitively and then figuring out the best way to use your resources, so just playing through is a great way to make progress for a while.

cool, thanks!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It's cool to see the WR Progression Video idea branching out to more video makers and more games. Here's a couple I ran into recently from sources other than Summoning Salt:

Pokemon Snap any%:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhesU1gVI-I

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door any%:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD5EUpsZNCA

This one I think was linked before but Super Mario Sunshine any%:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oudZMniib08

these are all great, i love these world record history videos. i think i may have posted the sunshine video originally.

edit: my biggest speed regret is probably that the work I started doing on TIE Fighter last year never came to much other than a few IL runs. It's got some real interesting tech but the prospect of being the first runner and doing all the routing on top of all my other irl obligations made me re-think trying.

All my stuff is still out there though so hopefully some day someone picks up the mantle.

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 3, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hey post-sgdq-2018 people who are looking to get into speedrunning

come speedrun Ultionus with me!!

https://www.speedrun.com/Ultionus_A_Tale_of_Petty_Revenge

It's a fun and short game that only has a couple parts that are based around RNG (one at the very very very start of the run and one towards the middle, with the middle one being far more of a nuisance than the starting one) and the rest of it is just a case of being technically proficient enough to play the game well. There is no knock-back, you get healed to full every time you pass a checkpoint, there is a glitch that skips the only boss that has RNG, and I wish I was good enough at it to actually put out a good time. I've done the routing for it and I have lowered the time a decent amount but it is definitely very possible to reach sub 17 if you can play well and I unfortunately can't play well because the end of the game (in the good ending category) requires that you complete a shmup stage and it isn't even a hard shmup stage, I just do terrible with shmups.

There are a few other optimizations that I could probably stand to make, largely optimizations relating to the slowdown that happens when you kill a boss, but that stuff is... it's a special case. Basically, the first stage boss's death will cause the game to go into dramatic slowdown but it'll also open the exit to the level so ideally you'll kill the boss while being as close to the exit as possible to minimize the amount of time you're stuck in the slow motion part. Stage 2's boss can be skipped entirely so you don't have to worry about that, stage 3's boss is an autoscroller so you always have to sit through its slowdown, stage 4's boss is a case where the exit is behind the boss and the boss's hurtbox exists even after dying and I don't know if it's quicker to just sit through the slowdown after killing the boss as fast as possible or if I can get through faster by making sure the killing shot is when the boss isn't at the far right side of the screen so that I can just walk under it through the exit. The stage 5 boss requires that you sit through the slowdown because once the slowdown is over, you trigger a cutscene, so you need to get yourself to the specific cutscene trigger point during the slowdown and wait it out. Then the slowdown against the stage 6 boss doesn't matter because time is on the final hit.

I want to see others run the game because I want to see others take the work that I've done and actually make proper use of it and discover this hidden gem of a title.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

greeting speedfriends, I have joined the ranks.

Can't wait for ESA. and next GDQ I am going to attend.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

As a random thought, once I get my retrogaming apparatus set up I would probably love to get my start speedrunning with an old favorite - Battletech for the Genesis.

If I could rope someone else into it, it would be awesome to do a co-op speedrun of it because of how weirdly unique the co-operative aspect of the game is (one person controls the legs/movement, the other controls the torso/weapons).

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Holy gently caress, I just looked at the schedule for ESA, and they are gonna have 2 streams going at once, so basically 2 marathons at the same time. :drat:

AND it is 9 days long.

:getin: speedfriends.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Holy gently caress, I just looked at the schedule for ESA, and they are gonna have 2 streams going at once, so basically 2 marathons at the same time. :drat:

AND it is 9 days long.

:getin: speedfriends.
The second stream isn't running 24/7, but pretty much yeah.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Hey, do you wanna hear Trihex comment on his scripted commentary for an hour and a half?

No, I'm asking, because I don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32VP-8Gc0Ig

Or, if you prefer, https://pastebin.com/yjjk75Ts

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Teddybear posted:

Hey, do you wanna hear Trihex comment on his scripted commentary for an hour and a half?

No, I'm asking, because I don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32VP-8Gc0Ig

Or, if you prefer, https://pastebin.com/yjjk75Ts

Is there an actual issue at all? Like I'm sure a lot of people pre-write commentary. A lot of runners aren't funny.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i like esa

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

eonwe posted:

i like esa
I liked last summer's a lot, but didn't really like this most recent winter one. Hard to put a finger on exactly why. The tone felt odd or something.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Public speaking is hard, especially when it's not your sole focus.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

scripting isn't bad it was just
1) a bad script
2) unrehearsed enough that it came across stilted in parts anyway

bit of a disappointment for odysseys first inclusion in gdq but there's no way it's not coming back

really the only joke about the script is was all the people theorycrafting "well it was bad on purpose as a play on how gdq has become too sterile and--"

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Wait I didn't catch the Odyssey run what happened?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

fool_of_sound posted:

Wait I didn't catch the Odyssey run what happened?

literally nothing bad. It was a decent run with fairly run of the mill commentary that people went apeshit about because it was scipted in some ways.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Odyssey stuff would have been way better if they had just cracked some jokes and explained the game

scripting "OH NO YOU BONKED AGAIN, MY WALLET" was just...hard to watch tbh

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
but if anyone got mad at at it..lol.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know how, but ESA has a Geoguessr speedrun in the schedule.

E: Hmm, they have an Awful Games block too this summer.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Eonwe, why is your avatar not a pink elephant screw-attacking? :eonwe:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Every single time I watch a bunch of GDQ stuff I get the powerful urge to learn to run New Game Any% MGR. There's like.. 5 people on the leaderboard for that category so maybe it's a huge pain or something? The game is just so fun though and the boss fights rule.

Maybe this is it, this is the year..

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Every single time I watch a bunch of GDQ stuff I get the powerful urge to learn to run New Game Any% MGR. There's like.. 5 people on the leaderboard for that category so maybe it's a huge pain or something? The game is just so fun though and the boss fights rule.

Maybe this is it, this is the year..

my understanding from the one MGR speedrun i watched at GDQ a few years ago is it's pretty much you just spam Sky High over and over again

maybe things have changed?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

eonwe posted:

The Odyssey stuff would have been way better if they had just cracked some jokes and explained the game

scripting "OH NO YOU BONKED AGAIN, MY WALLET" was just...hard to watch tbh

I liked the good-guy-bowser running gag.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

my understanding from the one MGR speedrun i watched at GDQ a few years ago is it's pretty much you just spam Sky High over and over again

Yeah, I think it's not as exciting as I'm thinking of in my head sadly.

I should look into it at least and see if it looks like it'd be entertaining.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ItBreathes posted:

Eonwe, why is your avatar not a pink elephant screw-attacking? :eonwe:

not a bad idea

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
if I had a run at gdq I'd have some scripted poo poo to say so that I didn't just sit there in silence

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Kaubocks posted:

That's gonna be the case for nearly any MGR run -- jumping is faster than running, and Sky High allows you to clip OOB in a lot of places and skip some of the long scripted "waves of grunts" fights. It's still a fun run, though, and you're still hitting all the bosses, which are the best parts of MGR.

The routes for NG and NG+ runs converge after the Mistral fight, IIRC, since that's when Sky High becomes available for purchase on the NG route.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

if I had a run at gdq I'd have some scripted poo poo to say so that I didn't just sit there in silence

for sure, but there's a difference between 'here's a list of the things i want bring up for these parts' and how scripted the odyssey run was

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
that scripted mario odyssey commentary was worse than 5 simultaneous war crimes

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'd say 2, maybe 3 war crimes tops imo

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

i'd say 2, maybe 3 war crimes tops imo

Yeah, I guess, depends on which Geneva Convention Protocol we're working with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011