Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Guy Goodbody posted:

What's the episode about the guy who tried to travel across Australia with a bathtub?

Was that the Burke & Willis expedition, where they set out with an ungodly amount of unnecessary gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

exploded mummy posted:

tbh I'm willing to give Feinstein a pass on restarting her political career after deciding she was going to quit on the basis of Harvey Milk and the death cultist protecting mayor getting assassinated

also that was only a week after the death cult the mayor protected because they got him elected offed themselves

70s San Fran was a weird place

to be fair, a ton of people supported jim jones peoples temple for awhile because they were actuality did good progressive poo poo. the issue was Jim was a pill popping control freak fuckhead and poo poo got worse and worse until everything leaked and suits came in. thats when he went to Guyana and poo poo hit the fan. by the time of that, most of the big progressives pulled support.

https://www.amazon.com/Road-Jonestown-Jones-Peoples-Temple/dp/1476763828

here is a fantastic book on it and it was the main source for the Last podcast on the left multipart series on them.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

JethroMcB posted:

Was that the Burke & Willis expedition, where they set out with an ungodly amount of unnecessary gear?

that's it! thanks

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

to be fair, a ton of people supported jim jones peoples temple for awhile because they were actuality did good progressive poo poo. the issue was Jim was a pill popping control freak fuckhead and poo poo got worse and worse until everything leaked and suits came in. thats when he went to Guyana and poo poo hit the fan. by the time of that, most of the big progressives pulled support.

https://www.amazon.com/Road-Jonestown-Jones-Peoples-Temple/dp/1476763828

here is a fantastic book on it and it was the main source for the Last podcast on the left multipart series on them.

Moscone continued to shield Jones and the Temple from prosecution even after after the poo poo came out and Jones fled to Guyana.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

exploded mummy posted:

Moscone continued to shield Jones and the Temple from prosecution even after after the poo poo came out and Jones fled to Guyana.

lol, gently caress him then.

dougdougdougdoug
Jun 10, 2016

Snowy posted:

For those of you not into ads you can go to 9:40

For those of you not into ads, go sign up for Patreon and get the ad free version instead of being an rear end.

dougdougdougdoug
Jun 10, 2016

fool_of_sound posted:

Dave is also kinda an insane person, politically. He's really bad about conveniently forgetting details that disprove his point, and gets furiously mad when corrected. It's mostly still good, but just take his political stuff with a grain of salt.

"I don't agree with Dave"

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

dougdougdougdoug posted:

For those of you not into ads, go sign up for Patreon and get the ad free version instead of being an rear end.

ok grandpa

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

dougdougdougdoug posted:

If I'm never going to buy the poo poo they are advertising then what's the difference? It's not like anyone has a way to tell that ads were skipped.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Harminoff posted:

If I'm never going to buy the poo poo they are advertising then what's the difference? It's not like anyone has a way to tell that ads were skipped.

Your conscience knows.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
If you don't listen to it how do you know you won't buy it?

I hate the ads on dollop, particularly the ones for online therapy.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Basically the only cardinal sin dollop ads don't commit is midrolling. Otherwise: they go on forever, they don't have any distinguishing music to mark the segment, and they roll in after the there song. And christ almighty it's often 10 minutes an episode.

dougdougdougdoug
Jun 10, 2016

Rodyle posted:

Basically the only cardinal sin dollop ads don't commit is midrolling. Otherwise: they go on forever, they don't have any distinguishing music to mark the segment, and they roll in after the there song. And christ almighty it's often 10 minutes an episode.

Imagine the horror of getting an hour of free content and having to skip forward a a couple of times.

dougdougdougdoug
Jun 10, 2016

Riptor posted:

ok grandpa

Oh noes. I want the people who make content I like to make money.

I'm old.

dougdougdougdoug
Jun 10, 2016

Harminoff posted:

Because the latest tech can tell when people skip ads.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

dougdougdougdoug posted:

I'm old.

Yeah, seriously. It's ten minutes of relatively funny stuff. It helps Dave and Gary. I can skip it if I want. Complaining about it is very silly.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Harminoff posted:

If you use a dedicated podcast app, they do actually.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Nothus posted:

If you use a dedicated podcast app, they do actually.

Why would you use Stitcher/etc for anything except the few premium-only shows? Stick with Pocket Casts or whatever is good on Android

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Analytic Engine posted:

Why would you use Stitcher/etc for anything except the few premium-only shows? Stick with Pocket Casts or whatever is good on Android

Because certain podcast networks like Earwolf pay the hosts and guests for every listen, even on old episodes. It does help listening to the backlogs, as far as I know.

But The Dollop isn't on Stitcher.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m happy they get money for ads but I’m not going to listen to them and I doubt they get paid any less if I skip through them. If they actually get info from downcast I’d be surprised, especially if they can sort through all the skipping forwards and backwards I do.

I was tempted to start recurring patron donations because I also like supporting creators I like, but lately between the cuts in episodes and Dave’s general bitchiness I just haven’t felt the need to go for it.

Eh, maybe I’ll do the $1 a month.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I really wish stitcher worked better with Mental Illness Happy Hour because the archives are what I'd use it for the most.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

dougdougdougdoug posted:

I'm old.

I've bought tickets to multiple shows and I'm not going to sign up for talkspace or buy brooklinen or whatever. People skip ads. It's fine

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
They really need to do a dollop on podcast ads in the late 2000s so they can make comparisons to today's podcasts that still have ads.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
What is it about this show that attracts internet pedants like no other? When this thread is not complaining about ads it's mostly going "I can't believe Dave does not know that there are molluscs that live on land!" or "Well actually, german nationalism predates the holy roman empire". This is basically a one-man improv show and somehow a significant part of the listenership has staked it as the hill they want to die on.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Turns out there are pedantic assholes everywhere.

E: real answer: I think a lot of people can't make the distinction between "history podcast" and "podcast that riffs history". I'm sure they froth at the mouth every time Dan Carlin mispronounces something also.

Elitist Bitch fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 9, 2018

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dave's attitude invites a lot of it. Especially when he gets real smug over some incorrect conclusion he's made.

Mind, that same attitude makes it pointless to actual try to correct or criticize him so the people actually reaching out on Twitter or whatever are nuts. As for this thread, anyone should be able to be positive or negative about it as they like as long as it doesn't get super weird? It's not like Dave posts here.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I don't care when Dave mispronounces things, but, it does strike me as odd just how much Dave doesn't bother to look up pronunciations.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Doesn't really matter and pronouncing things wrong might even add humour.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

So I started listening to the podcast like a month ago so i'm picking and choosing ones that look interesting from what I do and don't know and I will say I think this podcast really does best explain the south and how the gently caress it's so the south.

No sense of why California is the way it is though funnily enough. the 49ers were allllllllllll hosed up.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Veskit posted:

So I started listening to the podcast like a month ago so i'm picking and choosing ones that look interesting from what I do and don't know and I will say I think this podcast really does best explain the south and how the gently caress it's so the south.

No sense of why California is the way it is though funnily enough. the 49ers were allllllllllll hosed up.

That's pretty much how I listened to it as well

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tell us which ones you like and we will tell you other ones that sound boring but are actually amazing like, hm. The dark secret of swimming pools.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Wow Dave is annoying in the newest reverse dollop, I had to turn it off after a few minutes.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

NmareBfly posted:

Tell us which ones you like and we will tell you other ones that sound boring but are actually amazing like, hm. The dark secret of swimming pools.

More University and One Taste Incorporated is still my favorite when it comes to "Wait, what is this one about? I've never heard of either of these things" to :stare: in record time

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

NmareBfly posted:

The Cereal Men

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Walking

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
23 - The Willie Dee
if you're looking for something lighter.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

NmareBfly posted:

Really I want to know what the gently caress is the deal with penguins, and did they ever do a hat podcast?

Also I think the winner for most mundane/insane one for me was the balloon fest it was just so :stare: on all levels.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Veskit posted:

Really I want to know what the gently caress is the deal with penguins, and did they ever do a hat podcast?

There's the Straw Hat Riots episode

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.

echomadman posted:

Wow Dave is annoying in the newest reverse dollop, I had to turn it off after a few minutes.

I think Dave tries to be gareth a little too hard but what he thinks is playful banter comes off as having a bad attitude. It didn't bother me too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Veskit posted:

Also I think the winner for most mundane/insane one for me was the balloon fest it was just so :stare: on all levels.

listen to the Macquarie Island episode for all your penguin needs

also they never did an actual hat podcast because that was literally the firs thing I ever asked in this thread and was told to go listen to Taxidermy and the Straw Hat Riots episode