Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

mllaneza posted:

The divers had to stage tanks to get in, so to SCUBA the kids out they'd have to change tanks. That's dangerous.

From my reading, it sounds like they're only preparing for getting the kids out like this if there is no other choice, which is probably the right call, as terrible as it is for them to have to survive down there for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

mobby_6kl posted:

Holy poo poo. I just recently did a PADI open water diver course and the thought of diving in a cave like that is loving terrifying. It's still not really clear how long and deep the flooded parts are but the air tanks have pretty limited capacities even at low depths so it could be quite challenging to make it through if it's really like 2km long. Good thing I never had the time to get into those caves when I was in northern Thailand a few years ago.

I'm PADI certed in Search and Recovery, Wreck, and Ice diving and you can not pay me enough to cave dive. That poo poo is insane.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

okay, go 1 foot, and leave the coach and fat kids in there.

When I think "fat kids" I definitely think destitute sports athletes trapped in a cave with no food for weeks

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

People are neutrally buoyant so you have to be really fuckin dumb to drown

All those people who ever drowned? Morons, every one of them and it's good that they're dead

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

The Bloop posted:

When I think "fat kids" I definitely think destitute sports athletes trapped in a cave with no food for weeks

You're right, the fat kids would be the first to be eaten

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

aphid_licker posted:

People are neutrally buoyant so you have to be really fuckin dumb to drown

All those people who ever drowned? Morons, every one of them and it's good that they're dead

Fat goon spotted

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
An underground stream that measures no more than a couple feet wide counts as a cave right? I bet these maniacs could do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtlwoX1YEmg

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1iaa04rCf0
"If I'm scaring you a bit, good."

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

An underground stream that measures no more than a couple feet wide counts as a cave right? I bet these maniacs could do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtlwoX1YEmg
:stonklol:

Here's a bigger map of the cave, supposedly they're around point 39:

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Seems like a reasonable place to take a bunch of children without any kind of protective gear or adequate training. mmmm yep.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Powershift posted:

okay, go 1 foot, and leave the coach and fat kids in there.

It's been 10 days. They probably ate the fat kids.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Someone has to be the keeper

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Seems like a reasonable place to take a bunch of children without any kind of protective gear or adequate training. mmmm yep.

Under normal conditions plenty of caves can be pretty easy to walk through and look cool. It probably wasn't something really technical to navigate until the water level rose, at which point the way out is no longer as straightforward. Here's part of a rad cave I got to check out in Japan and there were a whole bunch of children and olds walking through it.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 3, 2018

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

This is only tangentially OSHA, but all this talk of cave diving reminded me of Shadow Divers, a book about a group of wreck divers who found an unidentified U-boat off the coast of New Jersey in 1991 and tried to dive into the wreck to identify it.

It's an interesting read, and deals with not only the challenges and dangers of wreck diving (especially deep water diving on air, the wreck was at a depth of 70m, nitrogen narcosis territory) but also touches on cave diving, and the very OSHA method one of the divers used to make his own breathing gas mixes since this all happened before gas mixtures like Trimix were readily available.

I'm a very infrequent recreational diver, but I think would be an interesting read even for non-divers, it builds a compelling narrative around the central subjects, uses accessible language, and explains all the core concepts and principles of diving well.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm a white guy from the south and can't swim and know almost no one who can, it's an extremely reliable marker of parental income around here.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Since we're talking about cave diving, I might as well post about Bushman's Hole.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm a white guy from the south and can't swim and know almost no one who can, it's an extremely reliable marker of parental income around here.

If I hadn't grown up across the street from a neighbor with an inground pool, my parents probably would have had to pay for swim lessons for me. And I don't know if they would have been able to.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
they could just form some kind of mole society if the girls' volleyball team also gets trapped

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
No discussion of trapped cavers would be complete without mentioning the guy who got stuck in Utah's Nutty Putty cave.
This story makes me claustrophobic every time I read about it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/nK4Y9

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
what ever happened to ted?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

SniperWoreConverse posted:

what ever happened to ted?

He's here I think: http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Ted_the_Caver

I think the worst part is that picture of him on a very narrow hole, otherwise eh.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

xergm posted:

No discussion of trapped cavers would be complete without mentioning the guy who got stuck in Utah's Nutty Putty cave.
This story makes me claustrophobic every time I read about it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/nK4Y9

Got him loose. Gave him some water, some pizza, let him call his wife. Dropped him back in the hole.

Jesus gently caress.

Should have broke his legs.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

maybe exploring caves is some kind of fetish, trying to relive that experience when you got pushed out of the birth canal.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

mike12345 posted:

maybe exploring caves is some kind of fetish, trying to relive that experience when you got pushed out of the birth canal.

more like going in in your mom

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
wasn't there some case of a dude going cave diving and dying, then the guy who went in to get his body out got stuck as well and died

I have no idea why the gently caress you'd ever want to cave dive

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ATP_Power posted:

This is only tangentially OSHA, but all this talk of cave diving reminded me of Shadow Divers, a book about a group of wreck divers who found an unidentified U-boat off the coast of New Jersey in 1991 and tried to dive into the wreck to identify it.

It's an interesting read, and deals with not only the challenges and dangers of wreck diving (especially deep water diving on air, the wreck was at a depth of 70m, nitrogen narcosis territory) but also touches on cave diving, and the very OSHA method one of the divers used to make his own breathing gas mixes since this all happened before gas mixtures like Trimix were readily available.

I'm a very infrequent recreational diver, but I think would be an interesting read even for non-divers, it builds a compelling narrative around the central subjects, uses accessible language, and explains all the core concepts and principles of diving well.

I really like that book, it's got a lot of really fascinating information on diving and the divers themselves.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Want to win yourself an easy Darwin Award? Go cave diving.

I'm a misanthropic poo poo and as far as I am concerned, the more people who go down a hole and never come back up again the better. Too many motherfuckers out there getting in the way and voting for Imbeciles like Trump.

Fewer mouths to feed, fewer asses to clean up after. Always a good thing!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Do it ironically posted:

wasn't there some case of a dude going cave diving and dying, then the guy who went in to get his body out got stuck as well and died

I have no idea why the gently caress you'd ever want to cave dive

9 posts up my dude.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Mozi posted:

blow up the goddamn mountain!

Ah yes the North Korean Nuclear Option...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

LostCosmonaut posted:

Since we're talking about cave diving, I might as well post about Bushman's Hole.

Worth reading if you want to shout at the screen for a guy who killed himself for absolutely no good reason.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
gory fireworks PSA

https://imgur.com/gallery/5KPsNoI

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

mike12345 posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZNSaq

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

spog posted:

I glazed over this graphic a few times:

Then I noticed the scale in the bottom corner. It's insane that they managed to even find them.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm PADI certed in Search and Recovery, Wreck, and Ice diving and you can not pay me enough to cave dive. That poo poo is insane.

Look, the big signs telling people they will die if they cave dive here, those are just for show. Now force your dumb rear end through this 18 inch wide crevice with 0 visibility and 1 hour of oxygen and find that child corpse!!!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

tactlessbastard posted:

Doesn't seem like much of an obstacle to slapping a mask on them and dragging them behind a diver back to safety.

We should get you on a plane asap to Thailand because those guys clearly need your expertise.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

LostCosmonaut posted:

im glad you posted this because i was trying to find it and couldnt for the life of me remember which deadly sinkhole cave it was about

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ATP_Power posted:

I'm reminded of a quote from Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson when the guy was talking about a flight plan in comparison to a diving plan. "it takes a whole briefcase full of books and tables and specialized calculators, and access to weather forecasts above and beyond the normal consumer-grade weather forecasts, to come up with even a bad, wrong flight plan that will surely kill you". And then he realises that a deep-sea diving plan is significantly more difficult to figure out.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

That necrotic finger will be in my nightmares. He's permanently giving the shocker sign.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Memento posted:

I'm reminded of a quote from Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson when the guy was talking about a flight plan in comparison to a diving plan. "it takes a whole briefcase full of books and tables and specialized calculators, and access to weather forecasts above and beyond the normal consumer-grade weather forecasts, to come up with even a bad, wrong flight plan that will surely kill you". And then he realises that a deep-sea diving plan is significantly more difficult to figure out.

Yeah, even shallow, open water recreational diving has a lot of hazards that are invisible to the untrained, any penetration dive has all those risks, coupled with a ton more new hazards - and that's when nothing goes wrong. Add to that the risks and challenges of deep water diving on compressed air, and you've got a situation that can kill even highly experienced divers. On air, at those depths, you have to drop down multiple secondary 'stage bottles' of air, and you still only have about 20 minutes of bottom time on the air in your tanks, those stage bottles are for the hours of decompression you have to do going back to the surface to avoid getting the bends. Additionally, while you're down there, you're also dealing with nitrogen narcosis loving up your perceptions and judgement, in addition to entanglement hazards, and an errant flipper kick could stir up muck that reduces your visibility to zero. The Shadow Divers expedition claimed the lives of two highly experienced cave divers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Rescuers want to get boys out within a week, before monsoons worsen.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2018/jul/04/thailand-cave-rescue-divers-may-attempt-to-free-trapped-football-team-this-week-live

Includes this amazing quote from a cave diving expert:

quote:

He suggested that if rescue divers could fit the boys with full-face masks and air bottles “and perhaps restrain them so they can’t move and struggle”, they could be removed “as inert packages”.