Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I love that I can dream about butts to turn them into different butts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Somberbrero posted:

I ended up using rites only twice? I'm not particularly sure what they accomplish. Summonings aren't really needed for stat values if you have a developed cult. Potentially I can see them being awesome early game, but you're probably not going to have them early game.

Even a developed cult is only going to have 5 in all stats other than the core lore (ha) - a summon can have 8 or 10.

I've had games fall apart because two 5 Edge Minions disappeared while trying to get rid of evidence; once I'm able to regularly summon minions with Edge, then it a) doesn't matter if they fail, because they were short-time anyways; and b) they're more likely to succeed anyways. Likewise, going out adventuring with a Maid-In-The-Mirror (10 Edge/10 Winter) leading means they go faster because I'm sending fewer minions to support.

ETA: It may help to have found a ritual that consumes the influence that was going to disappear anyways, and it's a lot easier to go Manse-dreaming for Secret Histories and throw the influences you pick up on rituals for neat monsters rather than let those influences fade into Fascination or Despair.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 2, 2018

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You shouldn't be having Edge minions try to destroy evidence anyway, the only thing they're good for is kidnapping or killing.

I think 10 is the most you *need* to beat any particular expedition challenge, or at least, that's when the messages stop changing and they all say "yeah we got this" when you hit 10 in a needed aspect.

An Edge cult is pretty great for either a sensation or enlightenment ending because 10 Edge cultists are pretty good for kidnapping more sacrifice victims. Ditto a Grail cult.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

skeleton warrior posted:

I've had games fall apart because two 5 Edge Minions disappeared while trying to get rid of evidence; once I'm able to regularly summon minions with Edge, then it a) doesn't matter if they fail, because they were short-time anyways; and b) they're more likely to succeed anyways. Likewise, going out adventuring with a Maid-In-The-Mirror (10 Edge/10 Winter) leading means they go faster because I'm sending fewer minions to support.

Moths destroy paper (and fabric, probably), Edge destroys people.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

I ended up using rites only twice? I'm not particularly sure what they accomplish. Summonings aren't really needed for stat values if you have a developed cult. Potentially I can see them being awesome early game, but you're probably not going to have them early game.

You can get four rites from the auction house (at least one is actually part of the shared "auction OR Morland's" pool). The two best rites (for practical use) in the game are among them. One of them doesn't require you to go on any expeditions, and comes with the lore needed. It's a full on occultist starter kit. So, I mean you can spend your talk verb time developing your cult into disciples and go without summons. Or you can rely on the Mansus and use the talk verb to cultivate a crop of acquaintances and believers who can be shoved into the cupboard as you need.

In my last games I promoted a Moth disciple, a Winter disciple, a Knock disciple, an Exalt for the achievement, and believers handled everything else cultists were useful for.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Is there a place with all the tarot cards they made on Twitter?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Glagha posted:

I love that I can dream about butts to turn them into different butts.

are they butts with the skin flayed off or with frilly garments on? :v

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Hey look, a roadmap for future updates!

More follower stuff will be neat, and advanced victory! Can't wait for the Talk verb to be even more clogged up!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Awesome, new beginnings, including apostle of a fallen cult leader? More uses for Talk? A use for Scholarship Skill? yeaaaaaah lay it on me

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Higher scholarship letting you combine influences and lore of the same variety to level up the lore would be neat.

Also, autogenerates fascination or dread, because I mean, cmon

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Just used the Wolf-Word on a Grim hunter and not only did it not work he also became an Idealist and... double Grim? So I just poisoned the motherfucker. Honestly as much as the Weary Detective is my friend, any hunter who doesn't have Erratic or Meticulous is basically just as good. Connie Woods is absolutely fine, for example. I tried the Wolf-Word on her as well, just for kicks, and she also became Grim and an Idealist instead of dying. I don't know if I just have phenomenally bad luck or if Winter lore doesn't work quite how I think it does.

I'm really glad the road map shows that there's gonna be a bunch of updates and DLC for this game because I'm totally in love with it. I've now completed all three current victories, Forge twice because the cheevo didn't fire the first time and now I'm trying to see what kind of treasures are about. The Frangiclave makes getting to Port Noon infinitely easier, my god. Weirdly I still only have like five Rites in this game, even though I've got about thirty Tools and Ingredients and multiple level 14 lores.

Lore talk: Any theories what the Crime Against the Sky might be? Apparently it was bad enough that the Forge of Days had to destroy the Sun-in-Splendour rather than actually have sex with it, and that royally hosed everything up, bringing the Worms into existence and everything. There seems to be a couple of cults based solely around making sure that anything approaching an Hour - like, Know and above - never have heterosexual sex because of how bad the Crime is. I assume it's something like blowing up the Glory for some reason, although who knows why that might happen.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dont you usewinter/lantern lore on an adversary to give them grim/idealist, then you use either dread or fascination against them?

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Doodmons posted:

Lore talk: Any theories what the Crime Against the Sky might be? Apparently it was bad enough that the Forge of Days had to destroy the Sun-in-Splendour rather than actually have sex with it, and that royally hosed everything up, bringing the Worms into existence and everything. There seems to be a couple of cults based solely around making sure that anything approaching an Hour - like, Know and above - never have heterosexual sex because of how bad the Crime is. I assume it's something like blowing up the Glory for some reason, although who knows why that might happen.

I think it's as simple as conception, and it somehow warps the parents into terrible, monstrous beings. There's an island in the Western Sea that has a bunch of former Long who broke some occult taboo, and now they're basically harpies. Damaon speculates on the horror of Hours turned "alukite." Whatever that means, the question, "What then would they devour?" is raised. So, my guess is having sex carried the risk that the Forge of Days or the Sun-in-Splendour would become half as awful as the Red Grail. And instead of maybe making a Sun God that desires the end of all things they divided the Sun and created a Winter God that desires the end of all things, a Winter-Sun God that desires the end of all things, and an infestation of Worms, which desire the end of all things and have succeeded at ending at least one History already.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Hell yeah, advanced victories!

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Is all of this lore you guys are talking about actually in the game and I'm just completely not paying attention (or haven't gotten far enough yet), or is most of this all from Fallen London/Sunless Sea?

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's all in the game, though you do need to piece it together from the text snippets, item descriptions, conversations, the individual results on research, dreams, expeditions and all that. There's no real explicit exposition. It's also totally unrelated to fallen london/sunless sea, and there's no external game lore dump - you do just have to read more and closer :)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Dont you usewinter/lantern lore on an adversary to give them grim/idealist, then you use either dread or fascination against them?

using Fascination or Dread also has the same effect. Notably using very high-level Lantern or Winter lore seems to have a greater effect.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
My read on the Crime of the Sky is not in what it does to the parents, it's what it does to the children. Worms bred in the corpse of the Sun. What worse could have come from a life nurtured within? The Forge of Days, Power and Shaping and Strength and Perfection, who by all accounts was down with getting her celestial freak on with the Sun-in-Splendor, decided it would be better instead to murder the fucker and cause the Intercalate, because the Children of the Sun would have been an unspeakable monstrosity. As opposed to now. Where they are speakable monstrosities.

The Forge cannot regret. The Watchman cannot show mercy. But there is a crime the Watchman might forgive. And there is a thing the Forge would regret, if it could regret.

I really want Winter to be the next cult to get an ascenscion. Because I have questions about the Egg Unhatching, which fled to Nowhere when the Grail drank the Tide, when Moth broke the Wheel, when the Forge shattered Flint, and the Colonel slew the Seven-Coiled.

there is a secret of birth the Grail really wants to get to the bottom of. and there is a God-From-Stone who is not dead and has not made peace, to whom even the Watchman might show mercy.

Winter is the lore of things that are dead. And of things that are not quite dead.

Shame about the silence.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

Grail drank the Tide

drat millenial hours

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I have finished my third run, completing the three ascension paths, and now I have to hide/destroy the notebook I was using so people won't believe I'm mad.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fat Samurai posted:

I have finished my third run, completing the three ascension paths, and now I have to hide/destroy the notebook I was using so people won't believe I'm mad.

The notebook I used is proudly on display.

It's full of lovely doodles and bad notes.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I'm actually kind of impressed how many clues to game mechanics are hidden in flavour text, now that I know what I'm looking for. Obviously there's the out-of-character hints on certain lores, and you can trial and error different cards in Rites to get hints, but there's a bunch of books which pretty much outright tell you some summoning recipes and partially explain how summoning even works as part of their flavour text. The book which is a goonlord writing a screed against the Obliviates explains the recipe for summoning a Caligine and also lets slip that actually recipes are variable, and it's the aspects involved that are important. That's probably not something you would get just from reading the hints on the lore cards.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

drat millenial hours

i suspect more applicable than you know. one of the books says, though it may be bullshitting, that events in our world reflect what's going on with the Hours. the Grail is a god-from-blood, one of the things we sacrificed to create. it is of Thirst and Sensation, and it drank the Tide.

you could, if you were inclined to look at things in an allegorical light, call that the transition from the hunger of subsistence farmers, whose ability to not starve to death is dependent on vast forces beyond their comprehension (i.e. the tide) to the hunger of civilized peoples who can have all they want, but still want more. both Tide and Grail are cruel gods, but Tide's is a vast and unfeeling cruelty. the Grail gets off on it.

drat kids these days and their eldritch hungers for couplings that should not be

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm pretty excited about the roadmap, but I have to say it makes me less interested in playing for now since it looks like the game's going to get so much deeper. Honestly it kind of feels like the game's still in Early Access.

Edit: Just want to be clear that I'm not complaining. I feel good about backing the game on kickstarter and I'm glad it's sold well enough to ensure a lot of post-release content. I do think it feels a bit unfinished it its current state though, and the roadmap basically acknowledges that.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 3, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah i'm going to put the game down and revisit it in a year or so.

Hopefully by then i've forgotten all about it and can experience it again for "the first time".

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I'd like to beat it once before giving it a rest.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, I want to finish my current run but then I’ll put it down. I’ll probably pick it back up again whenever they add new victories.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
That's been my one quibble with the roadmap, too. I'd much rather have a big expansion pack block of content to feed my life to again, instead of this planned drip of upgrades every couple months. Especially since it means avoiding spoilers from the first drop until such time as Fascination overtakes me.

As much as i want to give them my money, I can't see myself really diving back in until either there's a dlc that lets you make whole the Sun, or they announce they're done.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

gently caress! I thought when I used health as an ingredient in promoting a believer (I needed the Heart aspect) it would just get dimmed, not *eaten*. Dammit I'm down a health now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Speedball posted:

gently caress! I thought when I used health as an ingredient in promoting a believer (I needed the Heart aspect) it would just get dimmed, not *eaten*. Dammit I'm down a health now.

Yeah, you might want to look into Contentment for that.

Your cult setup dimming/wounding the attribute you throw into it gives the wrong impression there.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Glazius posted:

Yeah, you might want to look into Contentment for that.

Your cult setup dimming/wounding the attribute you throw into it gives the wrong impression there.

I found this out on accident when playing my Moth cult, but I had like 10 passion thanks to lucky book draws and just swimming in Glimmerings so didn't even notice.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

OscarDiggs posted:

I have spent the last 2 hours going through Morlands, buying up all the books, and writing down the information and descriptions they have in various stages. (God knows why). I've found Worms get mentioned specifically capitalised a few times but nothing on Birds. If you like I'll make a google doc.

EDIT: Also, wheres this Discord located?

Yes, pls post that google doc.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

OscarDiggs posted:

I have spent the last 2 hours going through Morlands, buying up all the books, and writing down the information and descriptions they have in various stages. (God knows why). I've found Worms get mentioned specifically capitalised a few times but nothing on Birds. If you like I'll make a google doc.

EDIT: Also, wheres this Discord located?

https://discord.gg/fGyTVFz

There's a micro-fiction contest going on right now, which is neat.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

OscarDiggs posted:

Oh, bugger, I missed this. I'm afraid there's already a google doc. Many.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Edit: Dang, beaten

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Awesome. I just got Visions killed because i just got incredibly unlucky and had 3 fascination dropped in my lap all at once right before it popped, and when went to get some Dread right away to counter it, I immediately got Despair which ate my only dread and committed me to death. I enjoy this game a lot but I hate going real deep into a run and then just collapsing explosively and feeling completely powerless the entire time.

Edit: I should say that I've died a couple times and it felt fair. This time felt completely out of my hands.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 4, 2018

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
you can cheat by holding the card while the timer searches for it and i think you can use it by throwing it into painting. that wont get rid of it but it should give you some more time

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Glagha posted:

Awesome. I just got Visions killed because i just got incredibly unlucky and had 3 fascination dropped in my lap all at once right before it popped, and when went to get some Dread right away to counter it, I immediately got Despair which ate my only dread and committed me to death. I enjoy this game a lot but I hate going real deep into a run and then just collapsing explosively and feeling completely powerless the entire time.

Edit: I should say that I've died a couple times and it felt fair. This time felt completely out of my hands.

That's an understandable frustration, but there are tools to resist it, though as is its way the game never explains them. In particular, the 'passage of time' verb tells you up to a minute in advance what the next day's event is going to be so you can know if you need to drop everything to deal with dread/fascination. The other tactic, of course, is just to never let either mind-killer get to the point where you're only one card from death.

Dread and Fascination can also be used as Influences in rituals, which completely locks them in as soon as you hit start. You can either use this as a way to tie one up for a bit to buy time, or, there's a way to reliably get a rite that consumes influences in the early game. Save your brain from the Glory by turning those skittery thoughts into skittering friends!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Just for QoL I’d like to see the Passage of Time box show me what’s next without me having to click on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Ceebees posted:

That's an understandable frustration, but there are tools to resist it, though as is its way the game never explains them. In particular, the 'passage of time' verb tells you up to a minute in advance what the next day's event is going to be so you can know if you need to drop everything to deal with dread/fascination. The other tactic, of course, is just to never let either mind-killer get to the point where you're only one card from death.

Dread and Fascination can also be used as Influences in rituals, which completely locks them in as soon as you hit start. You can either use this as a way to tie one up for a bit to buy time, or, there's a way to reliably get a rite that consumes influences in the early game. Save your brain from the Glory by turning those skittery thoughts into skittering friends!

The problem is that I did see it coming, so I tried to lock the fascination up in advance so it wouldn't set it off until i had a solution, but then I got even more fascination from other events that were already rolling. Then I started fishing for dread to counter it, and already the despair event was incoming. I also had found no rites by that point in the game so i couldn't use them. So basically I had 2 fascination incoming, with one i couldn't lock up forever so they all started piling in, and the one dread I made to fix it got eaten by despair immediately before I could do anything.

Edit: As in as soon as I saw the visions event coming I was like "oh poo poo I've got fascination I better get some dread on that quick" and my reward was more fascination and getting my dread ripped out from under me preventing any counterplay. I would have preferred it if the dread would have preferentially gone to the visions instead of despair.

Edit 2: Also on that note I'm already kinda over it and starting a new run. I like this game as it turns out.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 4, 2018