Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

Luke can see the future all.

It’s just, that future happened because of him. The Force does some hosed up poo poo to create balance.

It's idiotic to explain it away by energy field God trying to create "balance".

This is what happens when nerds internalize quasi-morality from fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
Because a threat of violence or actions which would reasonably be taken as such are sufficient for an assault charge in many jurisdictions, Luke could be said to have committed assault with a deadly weapon despite not having swung.

In this case, if I understand correctly, the fleeting nature of his intent is not relevant because he could reasonably be expected to know that Ben would understand his actions as a threat of violence.

In England, for example:

quote:

Assault (or common assault) is committed if one intentionally or recklessly causes another person to apprehend immediate and unlawful personal violence. Violence in this context means any unlawful touching, though there is some debate over whether the touching must also be hostile.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 3, 2018

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I would have liked to see Ben sue Luke for tortious assault.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

euphronius posted:

I would have liked to see Ben sue Luke for tortious assault.

Snoke shows him the unlimited legal power of "Tubal Cain."

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Luke will also use this in the court to show that yes, Ben Solo is a monster and must die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaOSCASqLsE

just a reminder that true canon consists of this and movies that have episode numbers

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Ingmar terdman posted:

just a reminder that true canon consists of this and movies that have episode numbers

That's actually what Luke saw when he looked into Ben's heart.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Just wanted to pop in to mention Ahmed Best is a pro Twitter follow (he's not even verified!) and he's been talking pretty personally about his TPM experience and wants to do a one-man show. Also because Star War fans are trash he was almost driven to suicide

https://twitter.com/ahmedbest/status/1014222723764162561

Best is good, TPM is good and Jar Jar is good.

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene

No Mods No Masters posted:

For the Luke did nothing wrong crowd, why then did he go into exile? Abandoning the republic, the Jedi, family and friends, the kid in your care who you just colossally hosed up mentally, etc. becomes even more reprehensible if there was basically no reason for him to do so.

It's because he is a flawed character whose main issue has ALWAYS been pride and he hosed up huge. I don't see anyone saying he did nothing wrong.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Kazoo Reverb posted:

I don't see anyone saying he did nothing wrong.

Gonna have to agree to disagree with you on that one, on the last page alone.

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene

No Mods No Masters posted:

Gonna have to agree to disagree with you on that one, on the last page alone.

I see a lot of stupid legal debate on a legal charge, but I don't see anyone saying none of his actions were wrong.

I also see you accusing him of actual murder so....

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Luke feels he did something wrong and could no longer be trusted. That's why he sent himself into exile.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bongo Bill posted:

Luke feels he did something wrong and could no longer be trusted. That's why he sent himself into exile.

Pretty much this.

"Luke didn't walk in there planning a murder" ≠ "Luke did nothing wrong". He hosed up, big time. But the people parroting "hurr durr Luke tried to kill his nephew" are absolutely 100% incorrect

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene
I wonder if the "handful of students" Ren took with him are the guards in Snoaks throne room

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Kazoo Reverb posted:

I wonder if the "handful of students" Ren took with him are the guards in Snoaks throne room

Rian Johnson has said that no, those are not the Knights of Ren. He said he didn't want to use the Knights, because he knew he would kill them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kazoo Reverb posted:

I had assumed the students were his Knights of Ren who Snoke mentions in Force Awakens but someone else in the thread mentioned that canonically they're just "some dudes." :wtc:

Edit: Beaten like those guys everyone thought were the Knights of Ren.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
What people don't comprehend is how bizarre Luke Skywalker's and Kylo Ren's arcs are in the might of the former planning to murder the latter.

When they reunite on salt planet Kylo Ren is treated as a crazy man for wanting to kill Skywalker... Even though it's completely sensible for him to exact justice. Instead Skywalker them coolly owns him and then peaces out because he's the better man. Who tried to kill his nephew.

jivjov posted:

"hurr durr Luke tried to kill his nephew"

Thank you for the ableist language.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 3, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ben is scared shitless of Luke, and with good reason; he's on the verge of panic throughout that scene. Luke is leaning hard into that because he is trying to intimidate him.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

jivjov posted:

Pretty much this.

"Luke didn't walk in there planning a murder" ≠ "Luke did nothing wrong". He hosed up, big time. But the people parroting "hurr durr Luke tried to kill his nephew" are absolutely 100% incorrect

Luke did try to kill Ben.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think if Luke had tried, he would have succeeded.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

And, like, no. Vader says very clearly that his goal is to recruit Luke.

...To serve the Emperor. The whole reason Vader tests the carbonite freezing chamber on Han is to make sure Luke would remain alive when it was used, so he can be given to the Emperor. The entire fight scene in RotJ is about Luke rejecting the Emperor's invitation to become his apprentice, and perhaps replace Vader. The Emperor and Vader are doing everything they can to goad Luke into giving into his anger and kill someone in a fit of rage, just as Anakin did with the sand people, so that Luke will turn to the dark side.

I'm hoping we're just talking past one another here.

quote:

122 INT EMPEROR'S TOWER - THRONE ROOM

Vader stalks the low-ceilinged area on the level below the throne,
searching for Luke in the semi-darkness, his lightsaber held ready.

VADER
You cannot hide forever, Luke.

LUKE
I will not fight you.

VADER
Give yourself to the dark side. It is the only way you can save your
friends. Yes, your thoughts betray you. Your feelings for them are strong. Especially for...

Vader stops and senses something. Luke shuts his eyes tightly, in
anguish.

VADER
Sister! So...you have a twin sister. Your feelings have now betrayed
her, too. Obi-Wan was wise to hide her from me. Now his failure is complete. If you will not turn to the dark side, then perhaps she will.

LUKE
Never-r-r!

Luke ignites his lightsaber and screams in anger, rushing at hisfather
with a frenzy we have not seen before. Sparks fly as Luke and Vader
fight in the cramped area. Luke's hatred forces Vader to retreat out of
the low area and across a bridge overlooking a vast elevator shaft.
Each stroke of Luke's sword drives his father further toward defeat.

The Dark Lord is knocked to his knees, and as he raises his sword to
block another onslaught, Luke slashes Vader's right hand off at the
wrist, causing metal and electronic parts to fly from the mechanical
stump. Vader's sword clatters uselessly away, over the
edge of the platform and into the bottomless shaft below. Luke moves
over Vader and holds the blade of his sword to the Dark Lord's throat.
The Emperor watches with uncontrollable, pleased agitation.

EMPEROR
Good! Your hate has made you powerful. Now, fulfill your destiny and
take your father's place at my side!

Luke looks at his father's mechanical hand, then to his own mechanical,
black-gloved hand, and realizes how much he is becoming like his
father. He makes the decision for which he has spent a lifetime in
preparation. Luke steps back and hurls his lightsaber away.

LUKE
Never! I'll never turn to the dark side. You've failed, Your Highness.
I am a Jedi, like my father before me.

The Emperor's glee turns to rage.

EMPEROR
So be it...Jedi.

quote:

Correct. Vader succeeds where Anakin fails, freeing not only himself but the entire universe from The Force.

Your mistake is a common one where people just skip over the part where Anakin is burnt alive, loses all but one of his limbs, has his entire family killed, has his nervous system literally rewired, changes his name, changes his voice, etc. This is the thinking that sees the end of Robocop as sincerely triumphant because Murphy’s back!

Again, this happens before everything else. All the suit does is externalize what was already on the inside. Anakin's clothing darkens over the course of the three films, from the sandy tan of TPM, ending with him clad in full black of the Vader suit. Vader's transformation is played as nothing but a bathetic tragedy, hence the ease with which we mock his cry of "Noooooo!" upon learning of his wife and children's deaths.

Viewing Vader as a liberating hero is simply not borne out by the text. At the end of RotS, he helps place the entire galaxy under the control of the master of the dark side of the force, who is about to construct the Death Star. At the end of RotJ, he has killed the Emperor, and given control to his son, the last of the Jedi, and we see how wonderfully that has worked out in the next two films. At no point has Vader freed the galaxy from the grip of the force. The powerful mutants are still in control.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In Empire, Vader tells Palpatine that he's got a great new idea: instead of killing Luke, I'll capture him to serve you. However, secretly, his plan was to recruit Luke so he'd have backup when he tried to usurp the Emperor.

In Jedi, after Luke made it clear he's not joining up, Vader still has to keep up the appearance of the original proposal of bringing Luke to serve the Emperor. Luke offers him a counter-proposal: why don't you quit working for the Emperor and instead help the rebels kill him.

Their two ideas have one thing in common: that Luke and Vader would team up to kill the Emperor. Where they disagree is in what comes after that, which is politics. Luke seems to want a new Republic, Vader wants a change of autocratic management.

The prequels, and to a lesser extent the sequels, are critical of the idea of the Republic, demonstrating both that it was never as good as it was cracked up to be and that it contained the seeds of its own destruction. Not that it has anything better to say about the Empire.

We can suppose either that Vader's Empire would've differed from Palpatine's in some substantial way, or that Vader's longing for a just and orderly Empire was doomed to be incapable of accomplishing anything more than propping up Palpatine's totalitarian oppression.

In the sequel trilogy, the new Republic collapsed into Empire in one generation instead of in a thousand, a story we've seen before, only this time the echo of Vader successfully overthrew the echo of Palpatine. What JJ has Kylo Ren actually doing with the First Order now that he's in charge of it will be pretty significant.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
That the galaxy essentially passed on in rule to Luke is a good point.

Like, most of the questions about the First Order miss the point. The First Order is able to step in because Luke went away. Snoke appeared because Luke left a void a powerful Force Person could step into.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

However, secretly, his plan was to recruit Luke so he'd have backup when he tried to usurp the Emperor.

This is an interesting theory and I'd like to hear more about it. Can you back it up with some examples from the text?

We have the speech that Vader gives to Luke in Cloud City about ruling the galaxy together as father and son, which may or may not be an attempt to deceive him, weighed against the events of Return of the Jedi. For example:

quote:

The officer and troops withdraw. Vader and Luke are left standing alone
in the oddly tranquil beauty of the place. The sounds of the forest
filter in upon them.

VADER
The Emperor has been expecting you.

LUKE
I know, father.

VADER
So, you have accepted the truth.

LURE
I've accepted the truth that you were once Anakin Skywalker, my father.

VADER (turning to face him)
That name no longer has any meaning for me.

LUKE
It is the name of your true self. You've only forgotten. I know there
is good in you. The Emperor hasn't driven it from you fully. That is
why you couldn't destroy me. That's why you won't bring me to your
Emperor now.

Vader looks down from Luke to the lightsaber in his own black- gloved
hand. He seems to ponder Luke's words.

VADER (indicating lightsaber)
I see you have constructed a new lightsaber.

Vader ignites the lightsaber and holds it to examine its humming,
brilliant blade.

VADER
Your skills are complete. Indeed, you are powerful, as the Emperor has
foreseen.

They stand for a moment, the Vader extinguishes the lightsaber.

LUKE
Come with me.

VADER
Obi-Wan once thought as you do.

Luke steps close to Vader, then stops. Vader is still.

VADER
You don't know the power of the dark side. I must obey my master.

LUKE
I will not turn...and you'll be forced to kill me.

VADER
If that is your destiny.

LUKE
Search your feelings, father. You can't do this. I feel the conflict
within you. Let go of your hate.

VADER
It is too late for me, son. The Emperor will show you the true nature
of the Force. He is your master now.

Vader signals to some distant stormtroopers. He and Luke stand staring
at one another for a long moment.

LUKE
Then my father is truly dead.

This doesn't strike me as a dialogue about someone trying to convince his son to help him kill the Emperor. The two of them are alone, (if I recall properly, the only time it is just the two of them other than the Cloud City fight and Anakin's death scene), and Vader gives no indication that there's a secret plan for the two of them to usurp the Emperor.

In fact, when Luke does try to kill the Emperor, Vader stops him, much to the Emperor's delight.

quote:

114 INT EMPEROR'S TOWER - THRONE ROOM

Out of the window and on the view screens, the Rebel fleet is being
decimated in blinding explosions of light and debris. But in here there
is no sound of battle. The Emperor turns to Luke.

EMPEROR
Your fleet has lost. And your friends on the Endor moon will not
survive. There is no escape, my young apprentice. The Alliance will
die...as will your friends.

Luke's eyes are full of rage. Vader watches him.

EMPEROR
Good. I can feel your anger. I am defenseless. Take your weapon!
Strike me down with all your hatred, and your journey towards the dark
side will be complete.

Luke can resist no longer. The lightsaber flies into his hand. He
ignites it in an instant and swings at the Emperor. Vader's lightsaber
flashes into view, blocking Luke's blow before it can reach the
Emperor. The two blades spark at contact. Luke turns to fight his
father.

Why save the Emperor's life, if it's Vader's plan to kill him all along?

I'm interested in hearing more of the alternate theory, but right now, I'm not seeing it line up with the events in the film. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, though.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Toph Bei Fong posted:

This is an interesting theory and I'd like to hear more about it. Can you back it up with some examples from the text?

We have the speech that Vader gives to Luke in Cloud City about ruling the galaxy together as father and son, which may or may not be an attempt to deceive him, weighed against the events of Return of the Jedi. For example:

This doesn't strike me as a dialogue about someone trying to convince his son to help him kill the Emperor. The two of them are alone, (if I recall properly, the only time it is just the two of them other than the Cloud City fight and Anakin's death scene), and Vader gives no indication that there's a secret plan for the two of them to usurp the Emperor.

In fact, when Luke does try to kill the Emperor, Vader stops him, much to the Emperor's delight.

I'm interested in hearing more of the alternate theory, but right now, I'm not seeing it line up with the events in the film. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, though.

Vader gives up on the plan to usurp the Emperor between TESB and ROTJ (for not entirely clear reasons--I guess because Luke still believes in the Republic). I don't know how you can interpret Vader's dialogue in TESB as anything but "let's kill the Emperor and take over."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Bongo Bill posted:

Ben is scared shitless of Luke, and with good reason; he's on the verge of panic throughout that scene. Luke is leaning hard into that because he is trying to intimidate him.

This is true. Ben's terrified of Luke. Sounds pretty weird for a Jedi to go and trigger someone with obvious trauma when you think about it, though.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Toph Bei Fong posted:

You obviously don't understand that ol' Sheev isn't ever actually in danger. Vader stops Luke's killing blow because he has to. Otherwise, Sheev would probably kill Luke then kill Vader for betraying him.

Like, Sheev isn't actually defenceless when he says he is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wonder if Disney will ever get desperate enough at some point in the future to bring Palpatine back from the dead.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder if Disney will ever get desperate enough at some point in the future to bring Palpatine back from the dead.

The'll just make a new character, "Snoke II."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

sponges posted:

Luke did try to kill Ben.

He literally explicitly doesn't.

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

jivjov posted:

He literally explicitly doesn't.

We see it happen on screen. He stops himself, but he literally explicitly does. He draws a weapon on an unaware target with the intent to kill.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Astribulus posted:

We see it happen on screen. He stops himself, but he literally explicitly does. He draws a weapon on an unaware target with the intent to kill.

He never swings. He never actually makes an attack. He has a temptation to kill, and doesn't do it. There's never an attempt made. Actually WATCH the film.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

What people don't comprehend is how bizarre Luke Skywalker's and Kylo Ren's arcs are in the might of the former planning to murder the latter.

When they reunite on salt planet Kylo Ren is treated as a crazy man for wanting to kill Skywalker... Even though it's completely sensible for him to exact justice. Instead Skywalker them coolly owns him and then peaces out because he's the better man. Who tried to kill his nephew.

the last jedi really has no idea what it wants to be, it's a movie really at odds with itself. i initially chalked it up as 'rian johnson wanted to do his own thing but disney was holding him back from doing anything too out there' but i don't have any hard evidence and i doubt rian will be saying a bad word as long as that trilogy is still planned

it's no wonder that it ended up so divisive, no matter what you feel about star wars as a whole there's stuff in there to either please you or piss you off

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

jivjov posted:

He never swings. He never actually makes an attack. He has a temptation to kill, and doesn't do it. There's never an attempt made. Actually WATCH the film.

It's a lightsaber. It doesn't take a swing. It takes lowering the blade roughly two feet to execute his nephew. We see how little force is required when a lightsaber later ignites directly through Snoke.

I'd turn your argument right back at you, except its nonsense. Both of us have watched the film. You are just choosing to be extremely charitable in your interpretation of on-screen events.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

would we be having this conversation if luke had a gun? 'yeah he pulled it out and pointed it at his sleeping nephew, but he didn't technically fire it'

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I think that would make it even easier to see that no actual attempt to kill was made.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

pointing a gun at someone whether or not you intend to fire is considered assault in many states in america, as it should be

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

would we be having this conversation if luke had a gun? 'yeah he pulled it out and pointed it at his sleeping nephew, but he didn't technically fire it'

Likewise, if you were to describe the situation but not name the perp as Luke I bet most people would call the individual a lunatic who should be in a padded cell.

Ultimately I can't really read Luke in star wars 8 as anything but some kind of apathetic narcissist/sociopath. Most of his actions seem to be motivated by the desire not to look bad, but in the laziest way possible. I'd hate to tell Han and Leia that I abused their child, better go hide from them for years while I wait for them to die off. Better die a hero, but too lazy to actually get off my rear end in the process. And so on.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td4AQZMTkTQ

Surprised no one bothered to post the scenes, handy that someone cut’em together. Luke's recollection of the memory is interesting for the story he tells himself. Initially he doesn't even remember having his weapon drawn, but it's only after Ben tells the truth about what happens that he alters his story.

brawleh fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 4, 2018

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Love his little cry of "Ben, no!" at the end. As if Ben is the one being unreasonable in this situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

really the greatest problem with that whole scenario is the same problem with a lot of the ST so far: this really weird reluctance to show off or discuss the time period between ROTJ and TFA.

all we have to go off of that ben was being seduced by snoke and the dark side was luke going 'hey i had a bad vibe' at the exact time period where we're supposed to be most skeptical of luke's pov(as noted by brawleh above). there's no scene of ben being too violent during lightsaber training or emotionally lashing out against luke or leia or a scene where luke finds a snoke fanzine and some tortured womp rats under ben's bed. it's weird and sloppy