Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
link the full script plz

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

link the full script plz

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/17r7dJ1xjGQfzCJpyXlqNVH33C8fFZ3uhpMPjuk1Uy60/

Scripting the crowd reaction to a lovely joke was pretty great tbh

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
ok yeah this is basically exactly what i would expect. light notes interspersed with terrible jokes that probably had awful delivery. 1. this is dumb, 2. why are people so upset about it

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Unironically still saying "fedora tip" for the purposes of comedy.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
gdq is basically a week of awkward nerds trying to make video game jokes and failing and thats the only reason i watch

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

ok yeah this is basically exactly what i would expect. light notes interspersed with terrible jokes that probably had awful delivery. 1. this is dumb, 2. why are people so upset about it

mouthbreathers love any excuse to crow about how fake and sellout-y gdq is now

so one bad script in an otherwise fine run isn't just about one run, it's evidence of how terrible and bad the entire event is

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

I had fun following along with the script on a second monitor. I think it's more telling of the crowd that yells "cringe" at everything than the scripting itself.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Suspicious Dish posted:

2. Because they expected more from their stream 'friends' and now the magic is broken. They overreact by being upset by it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mostly just thought it was stupid and weird to script jokes for a charity videogame speedrun

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i think it's fine and good to script out relevant stuff like talking about glitches and movement tech but scripting jokes only really works if like, actual comedians are involved

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
Is the pastebin about a list of hygiene rules at gdq which have like 8 out of 10 rules about diapers true?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Odd posted:

Is the pastebin about a list of hygiene rules at gdq which have like 8 out of 10 rules about diapers true?

I'm going to need a link

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Brother Entropy posted:

i'd say 2, maybe 3 war crimes tops imo

keep stacking war crimes until they overflow the counter to the negative

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

2. Because they expected more from their stream 'friends' and now the magic is broken. They overreact by being upset by it.

Also remember a good number of gdq fans are literal, actual children (as opposed to actual, literal manchildren, less ok)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I've only started to pick through the GDQ games but I wanted to give a mention that the kid (actual kid) who did Half Life had his dad doing commentary and it was pretty :3:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Johnny Joestar posted:

i mostly just thought it was stupid and weird to script jokes for a charity videogame speedrun

It's pretty normal for telethons to have scripted performances.

I think they had the right idea, they've just got a long way to go to get on Jerry Lewis' level.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

It's pretty normal for telethons to have scripted performances.

I think they had the right idea, they've just got a long way to go to get on Jerry Lewis' level.

Or you know, not leak the script.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Johnny Joestar posted:

Why? Several other runs have done it already, I'd bet you anything. It's not like it's an improv event, you know like 90% of what's going to happen (unless you're NESCardinality, in which case it's 100%). The only problems were with the writing and the delivery, which are pretty fundamental, sure, but nothing is wrong with the basic concept.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Doc Hawkins posted:

The script is a powerpoint containing at least 1 clipart and gdq is technically a convention so there's a 90% this was made the night before the run.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it was kinda lame but it wasn't something to actually care about probably

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Foldable Human went out to run Amy with his script in his lap and nobody gave a poo poo.

Most runs where the runner isn't staring into the screen in complete silence are scripted in some way, so I'm guessing most of the people complaining have no idea what goes into a speedrun and just want entertainment.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I doubt anyone is losing sleep over it, it was just embarrassingly bad.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it was pretty embarrassing that's true

I love Odyssey runs and I couldn't finish it

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Foldable Human went out to run Amy with his script in his lap and nobody gave a poo poo.

Even better was his co-commentator reading off the involved gameFAQs walkthrough of a section of the game that he casually skips by.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

eonwe posted:

it was pretty embarrassing that's true

I love Odyssey runs and I couldn't finish it

i'm conflicted; it was my first odyssey run so i didn't get to see how cool they normally are but it's also a game i haven't played yet so it's probably for the best the commentary got me to pay more attention to my other monitor for big chunks of it

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ullerrm posted:

That's gonna be the case for nearly any MGR run -- jumping is faster than running, and Sky High allows you to clip OOB in a lot of places and skip some of the long scripted "waves of grunts" fights. It's still a fun run, though, and you're still hitting all the bosses, which are the best parts of MGR.

The routes for NG and NG+ runs converge after the Mistral fight, IIRC, since that's when Sky High becomes available for purchase on the NG route.

Eh, maybe I'll just give it a try and see how it goes.

At the very least, I love the game so it's a good excuse to play it a few times!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Eh, maybe I'll just give it a try and see how it goes.

At the very least, I love the game so it's a good excuse to play it a few times!

didnty see the post you quoted the first go around but man that sounds a lot better than when i first saw an mgr run years ago. Gonna hunt for one on yt

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

been playing some bionic commando 2009 the past couple days. only in like 30 minute bursts though because oh my god i am much rustier at this game than i remembered and my swings aren't nearly as clean as murphagator.

got stuck in the caves for like five minutes where you have to throw a rock at a wall to proceed. spencer kept throwing rocks behind him :|

also the game doesn't use scroll wheel to switch weapons? but seems to bind every separate weapon to different numbers even though you can only hold one non-pistol weapon at a time. ALSO i need to figure out what to bind these two separate melee buttons to lol

this game is much more of a mess than i thought it was but i guess i originally played on x360 back in the day

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Just chiming in to say I would prefer it if they did have a script because I've sat through GDQ runs where the runner sat in stony silence and there either wasn't a couch or the couch had nothing to say either and that is 10,000x worse than some cheesy jokes on a Mario run (and them getting leaked). I'm no fan of public speaking, it's what's holding me back from getting a teaching certificate, and if I can't stand to talk to a classroom of 3 adults learning English then I can't imagine how hard it would be to sit in front of tens of thousands of people online and shoot the poo poo for an hour without going off the rails, WHILE still speedrunning a game. Hats off to all the GDQ runners.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Kaubocks posted:

got stuck in the caves for like five minutes where you have to throw a rock at a wall to proceed. spencer kept throwing rocks behind him :|

You can punch through the wall. :D

It was only discovered about 6 months ago. Works on all 3 item throw barriers.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 4, 2018

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Are people seriously complaining that GDQ presenters use notes like literally every public speaker ever?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I think a lot of the complaints are just from people looking for something to bitch about latching on to the first thing that came their way.

That said, the script wasn't very good and the little of the run I caught it appeared as though the couch caught on to the "Don't put a novel on the powerpoint slides, just bullet points for you to talk about" rule, but completely missed the far more important "don't just read the slides" one. I did like how they scheduled gaps for donations; more runs should have a general idea of when the donation gaps are IMO. There were a lot of runs where the runner would call out time for 2-3 donations and only get through 1 because the announcer wasn't ready.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
its like how people are angry that the super mario maker guy that did the blindfolded level was actually playing an auto level where you just hold right and win. who cares, its for charity and people are having a good time.

"oh no the streaming personality i follow practices their art of being a streaming personality and plans poo poo in advance"

yes, yes they do. now stop talking.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Boogalo posted:

You can punch through the wall. :D

It was only discovered about 6 months ago. Works on all 3 item throw barriers.

:hmmyes:

i remembered murphagator saying something like that in his run but when i tried it nothing happened... but maybe i was pressing the wrong button or punching the wrong spot

will keep this in mind, thanks

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Scrip5ing commentary is fine, the jokes were just awful how is this hard to grasp

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The best commentary ever was provided by SpikeVegeta during Sega Bass Fishing. And he didn’t even have a mic.

Live entertainment is really hard to do well. Cringeworthy or not, I credit the guys for trying.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Bad scripts or poorly executed scripts are bad.

Good well executed scripts are good.

A script to post bird rear end on every page of this thread would be incredibly good.

This was not the second, nor was it the third :kazooieass:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUHK93I7UhE

EnchantressofNumbers's WR this GDQ is a hell of a run. Great couch commentary too.