Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Cabe what's that data SIM you're always talking about and does it work in the US?

Hello it’s just buying from Chinese Internet

But you can get Mexico T-Mobile and it’s waaaaay cheaper than domestic US plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Also just found out the only remaining pre-dreadnought in the world is in some park in Yokosuka, gotta hit that.

It's right next to Fleet Activities Yokosuka, so if you have any friends posted there you can make a day of it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

caberham posted:

Hello it’s just buying from Chinese Internet

But you can get Mexico T-Mobile and it’s waaaaay cheaper than domestic US plan

Explain?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bloodnose posted:

It's right next to Fleet Activities Yokosuka, so if you have any friends posted there you can make a day of it.

Yeah I was surprised how close it is to the base. I do not know anyone posted in Japan tho.

Is there anything else in the area that's cool for history nerds? I'm thinking I might as well check out Kamakura while I'm down there, but given it's East Asia I presume all the historical places are long since bulldozed.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Kamakura has a lot of preserved history. You're also a ferry ride from Nokogiriyama if you want to see a different very large Buddha, but on a mountain this time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've seen enough Buddhas for one lifetime. I will look up non-Buddha things.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Is there anything else in the area that's cool for history nerds? I'm thinking I might as well check out Kamakura while I'm down there, but given it's East Asia I presume all the historical places are long since bulldozed.

Yokosuka doesn't really have anything except that park and the old navy arsenal but it is kind of cool to see the town that is completely made to serve the US military these days, and the shrine that the servicemen aren't allowed to go.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
For just regular restaurants (not super high end places) in Tokyo, how should I deal with reservations for lunch and dinner? I read that a lot of popular places will crowd up and I don't want to burn too much time waiting in line.

I see lots of places accept reservations through tabelog so I was planning on doing that, but most of them say they'll call you to confirm and I don't speak Japanese. If they don't book up until the day before, I could ask the hotel concierge to book the next day's meals when I come back at night...

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Richard M Nixon posted:

For just regular restaurants (not super high end places) in Tokyo, how should I deal with reservations for lunch and dinner? I read that a lot of popular places will crowd up and I don't want to burn too much time waiting in line.

I see lots of places accept reservations through tabelog so I was planning on doing that, but most of them say they'll call you to confirm and I don't speak Japanese. If they don't book up until the day before, I could ask the hotel concierge to book the next day's meals when I come back at night...

I emailed my hotel for August in English asking for a couple and they took care of it.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

The places that make you wait in line often don't take reservations.
For lunch on a weekday, try and arrive either before 11:30AM or after 12:45PM, you should be able to get into most places easily.
Also when I used opentable.jp no restaurant has ever called me to verify anything. You only get a call if there's a problem.

politicorific posted:

I'm looking for some advice/perspective, possibly to talk to someone over electronic message/phone call.

I'm a Taiwan goon (3.5 years), and formerly Korea goon (6 years) and am thinking of taking a corporate job in Tokyo. I have some concerns about this as I currently work for a western company and wonder what the corporate culture will be like. I was already poisoned by Korea and like my job, so I regularly put in 60+ hours a week.

Is there anyone else similarly situated as me; came to Japan in their mid-30s, single, worked an office job, and then made Japan their oyster? I'm not super concerned about the language as my Chinese is pretty decent and as is my Korean.

In my experience there's a lot of layers to the experience of working in a Japanese corporate. For starters, if you don't speak Japanese, people generally won't expect you to be familiar with "corporate Japan" culture either. So if the company has enough resources you'll probably find them hand-holding you a lot. At the same time, if you don't speak Japanese, it's pretty easy to get stone-walled with one sentence responses like "it is difficult" when asking why. As a new joiner to the company and Japan you'll also be interacting with HR a lot, and HR departments can be great or complete poo poo. Whatever corporate hierarchy you roll up to, there's also going to be an element of how strict the department, section, team, even your own direct manager is in following the rules. Some managers are pretty traditional stereotypical Japanese bosses bordering on abusive, while others may have a more international background, and others who just give no shits either way. If at all possible, speak to your actual future boss as part of your interview process, and ask plenty of questions.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I'll be going to Kanazawa after Fuji Rock this year, first week of August. Thinking about spending two days there and looking for suggestions on where to go after for another two days. Going to be back in Tochigi for Saturday for the fireworks. Yay, fireworks.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Has anyone taken a vacation to Yamaguchi, Shimane, or Tottori and have any cool recommendations?

yeah...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yamaguchi has an amazing cave!!!!
Tottori had a lot of soaplands, lol.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Tottori is reminding me of why it's one of the last few prefectures I haven't been to.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

So this is an embarrassing one, but one of our days in Tokyo is set aside for shopping. I think I've filled out every genre of store to visit with the exception of a bath store. Somewhere that specializes in high end bath salts, soaps, bubble bath, etc. Like a Basin store in the US. Any suggestions for what might pass? I've found lots of beauty stores in Ginza that would have products like this, but I was wondering if there's a dedicated store to just bath items, no cosmetics or anything else.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Richard M Nixon posted:

So this is an embarrassing one, but one of our days in Tokyo is set aside for shopping. I think I've filled out every genre of store to visit with the exception of a bath store. Somewhere that specializes in high end bath salts, soaps, bubble bath, etc. Like a Basin store in the US. Any suggestions for what might pass? I've found lots of beauty stores in Ginza that would have products like this, but I was wondering if there's a dedicated store to just bath items, no cosmetics or anything else.

We’re probably going to do this in a month and a half so let me know if anything stands out for design or clothes or any weird cool stuff.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Despite the fact that Japanese people use the bath more than many other cultures, bath salts, and especially fragrance related once, are not very common in Japan. You can find some salts/essences in the tourist sections of onsen districts, but nothing comes to mind from me for Tokyo.

If you're looking for general things, check Tokyu Hands, which will have a large section dedicated to bath items. If you are looking for cloth, then perhaps anything tied to Imabari would work.

http://imabariyokkin.jp/ Here's a shop for towels and stuff in Ginza.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bath salts are so common, most people use cheap poo poo from the drug store. Nice products will be sold directly at tourist souvenir shops in onsen areas. Most regions will have something with a ~famous local ingredient~ like orange peel or sea salt, or a mascot face mask. The only all-bath stores I've seen are international chains like Bath & Body Works and Lush.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Hmm, that explains why I was coming up empty when researching.

Any advice on checking out the Sumida river fireworks later this month? I won't be buying a spot, but if wanted to catch a glimpse without getting stuck in pedestrian traffic nightmares, can I do it?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Richard M Nixon posted:

but if wanted to catch a glimpse without getting stuck in pedestrian traffic nightmares, can I do it?

Nope.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
You could make friends with someone who lives on the Sumida River and get invited over to drink and watch fireworks from their house/apartment. Good luck.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Richard M Nixon posted:

Any advice on checking out the Sumida river fireworks later this month? I won't be buying a spot, but if wanted to catch a glimpse without getting stuck in pedestrian traffic nightmares, can I do it?

Basically no, but if you decide to try anyway, go to Minami-senju station and follow the crowds there. It's still quite crowded there, but not as nuts as the area around Asakusa. The trade-off is that you'd only really be able to see one of the two shows,, not both.

Other option is to go to Tachikawa or Urayasu and watch their shows instead. Sumida is actually pretty overrated as far as fireworks go. Adachi's show the week before and the Itabashi/Toda show a week later are both better in a lot of ways.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Richard M Nixon posted:

The Sumida fireworks festival around the Asakusa area is one of the biggest human nightmares I’ve ever encountered. Others have mentioned alternatives, but that many people multiplied by the inevitable heat and humidity is miserable.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Has anyone ever been to tokyo game show? Thinking of going to Japan for a trip anyway and maybe hitting it up this year but unsure if it's worth it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Magna Kaser posted:

Has anyone ever been to tokyo game show? Thinking of going to Japan for a trip anyway and maybe hitting it up this year but unsure if it's worth it.

I've been on a press day and a regular day, but it was over ten years ago. The press day was incredibly crowded, the regular day was 100x worse. The smell in the monorail car arriving on the regular day was a uniquely nauseating miasma of body odor, halitosis and fried combini food. The lines for poo poo nobody wanted to get/see were twenty minutes long. Every flat surface in the place was covered by some nerd either eating or flipping through their booth loot.

I suppose it has some value as a spectacle, and it certainly puts dealing with normally sized crowds into a healthy perspective, but I can't recommend it for much else. That said, I was there for work and am not a huge video game fan, so there may have been some cachet to the whole thing which balanced the points I mention that I missed.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
It was much worse than Comiket (which I've also been to exactly once), if that offers any perspective.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Stringent posted:

The smell in the monorail car arriving on the regular day was a uniquely nauseating miasma of body odor, halitosis and fried combini food.

Yeah but what did the other attendees smell like?

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

Stringent posted:

It was much worse than Comiket (which I've also been to exactly once), if that offers any perspective.

Anything worse than Comiket is objectively and impressively bad.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Stringent posted:

I've been on a press day and a regular day, but it was over ten years ago. The press day was incredibly crowded, the regular day was 100x worse. The smell in the monorail car arriving on the regular day was a uniquely nauseating miasma of body odor, halitosis and fried combini food. The lines for poo poo nobody wanted to get/see were twenty minutes long. Every flat surface in the place was covered by some nerd either eating or flipping through their booth loot.

I suppose it has some value as a spectacle, and it certainly puts dealing with normally sized crowds into a healthy perspective, but I can't recommend it for much else. That said, I was there for work and am not a huge video game fan, so there may have been some cachet to the whole thing which balanced the points I mention that I missed.

yeah but I live in China so it's probably just a normal day on the Shanghai metro.

sounds bad though, and it's during a Chinese holiday so I'll probably just come another rando time.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Magna Kaser posted:

yeah but I live in China so it's probably just a normal day on the Shanghai metro.

sounds bad though, and it's during a Chinese holiday so I'll probably just come another rando time.

I go every year, but never on the public days as those look too crazy. People have to queue just to move from hall to hall.

But if you can come on the two business days, it's actually quite a good event. That said, if you only want to play only the hottest new square/Nintendo/PS4 titles, expect to be in long queues the whole day, but if you have less mainstream tastes, are happy to watch panels, stage events, tournaments, etc. or are looking to find lesser known titles, you won't feel the crowds nearly as much.

It's not hard to 'qualify' for a business pass but it typically costs 5,000JPY (public days are around 1,000). But this works out at 2,500 a day if you can go on both.

And for the record, the venue has changed since whenever Stringent went. Not saying the public days don't stink (i don't know whether they do or don't), but that post was about a different place.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Oh, where are they doing it now?

*edit*
Oh they moved it up to Makuhari. Yeah that'd be a lot better.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I went to one of the public days a few years ago. Everything had an hour-plus line, except a couple things that were already out (like Killer Instinct on Xbox One) and Pro Evo Soccer. Unless you really want to go to say that you have, or get merchandise, or really want to go to Chiba to stand in lines all day, I’d give it a pass.

Plan a trip to Kyoto/Osaka in the spring and go to BitSummit instead, that’s full of indie games and is much more relaxed apparently.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

This was more a "I was planning on going to Japan around that time anyway, ¥1000 is cheap" than my whole plan to go to Japan. I was mostly curious about if it was a complete garbage mess or just crowded.

BitSummit I wanted to go to this year but the timing didn't work out. Maybe next year.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The public days are a complete mess; I think the Sega merch booth had an hour long wait. It's interesting from a spectacle point of view, I guess.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Sounds like I'm skipping the fireworks

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Richard M Nixon posted:

It's been a couple years since I've been but here's a few tips:
-Arrive after it starts, and if taking public transport, get off at a station prior to the ones that are closest. Walk the rest of the way on the least crowded streets you can -- the entire area is closed to regular traffic.
-Do NOT plan on crossing the river
-Don't try and leave until long after the show is over. Think like 10PM or later. Even if the area near you is relatively empty, the subway/train station won't be
-Buy all necessary food/drink/ice before you leave your local area, take a cooler if necessary
-Don't expect to be able to sit and watch it
-Keep an open mind about viewing spots, many of the surrounding stairwells, shops, etc. have standing spaces available

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I'll be traveling with a total of four suitcases for 2.5 weeks of travel. I don't need them all at once so I'd like to send them ahead to other hotels with takyubin.

Should I worry at all about hotels not accepting it or being able to ship? I'm staying in higher end hotels in Tokyo and Kyoto so I would expect full service, but I can't find any references to it on the hotel website.

Also, did I read correctly that I can schedule delivery up to a week in advance? I won't be in Kyoto until day 8 or so of my trip and my hotel certainly wouldn't hold a bag that long, but if I could schedule delivery for day 7, it would just wait overnight for me.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Wtf you need 4 suitcases for

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You should be able to schedule a delivery day when you mail your suitcase. The delivery company can just hold it in limbo for a week.

...Is it some kind of special equipment or do you just have a lot of poo poo?
Or 4 lil rolly cases instead of 1 big one, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Well it's my girlfriend and I, so it's really two suitcases each. 18 days of clothes, climbing gear for fuji, a suit with a few pairs of dress clothes, and a bit of extra room for bringing home stupid poo poo I don't need.