Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tahirovic posted:

Expansion ideas get a boost from this but not sure it's enough to ever take them as not Portugal or Spain.
I still feel like Expansion ideas are super weak and only ever worth taking as a colonizer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
So for this Madyas achievement I have to actually own the cores in Mexico. I need to move my capital to a single province in Oceania and then move it again to Mexico and that will stop CNs from forming, correct?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
If you want to do it via shifting your capital (which you should only need to do once, why spend more monarch points?) that would be the way to go, yes.
If you want to do it without moving into Central America, you could set up a CN in California/Columbia and eat up the natives by handing over the non-achievement provinces to it.
A third option is to let the CN form, release it and reconquer those specific provinces.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

more parts of the world have winter modeled and also monsoon areas get monsoons

but most importantly.......

jake posted:

Next week we'll take a gander at the less visual but highly impactful changes we have made by way of new National Ideas and Formable Nations

christmas in july

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

:holymoley:

This is pretty cool.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m excited! So excited in fact that I won’t start a new campaign til the patch!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Will I finally be able to form "OG Real Rome 420 Blaze it" with this patch?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I hope we see a bunch of “Greater [Baltic Nation]”

edit: Meant “Balkan” but I’ll take anything tbh

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 4, 2018

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Secret Denmark or expansion is failure imo

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Zikan posted:

Secret Denmark or expansion is failure imo

Secret Denmark is already in?
Pretty sure that's one of the fantasy RNW nations

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Double secret Denmark or bust

e: can't stop laughing at the province-sized elephant.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 4, 2018

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Why is defenestration not a mechanic for Bohemia? I should be able to throw delegates out of windows!
[edit] Kingdom of Yugoslavia should be formable, tia Paradox.

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 4, 2018

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Playing multiplayer for the first time with a friend, allied with each other:
I sold him a bunch of provinces we'd taken in a war before noticing it tanked my prestige!

What's a good alternative way for us to swap provinces between each other?

I think one of the DLCs lets you transfer occupation before the peace treaty? Which one is it and more importantly can you enable a DLC halfway through a game? (probably not :( )

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

fuf posted:

Playing multiplayer for the first time with a friend, allied with each other:
I sold him a bunch of provinces we'd taken in a war before noticing it tanked my prestige!

What's a good alternative way for us to swap provinces between each other?

I think one of the DLCs lets you transfer occupation before the peace treaty? Which one is it and more importantly can you enable a DLC halfway through a game? (probably not :( )

Art of War. You can enable it halfway through the game just fine.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Sweet, thanks. Turns out we were already running with Art of War, just didn't know where the transfer occupation button was.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

adding monsoons is cool, but it looks like winters are still going to be something you just ignore? EU4 campaign season is 12 months long and whatnot.

seasons are one of those things that i'd love to see be more important in EU.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You can’t entirely ignore winter unless all the territory in question has really good supply or all your armies are really small. It’s just that attrition is a comparatively slow/inevitable killer and your manpower pool can deal with absorbing it much more easily than it can deal with a big battle with tens of thousands of casualties. You go into every war knowing that attrition won’t make a huge difference even though in total it does kill lots of troops.

Jay Rust posted:

I’m excited! So excited in fact that I won’t start a new campaign til the patch!

I wish we could get a release date already so I know if I have time for another run before it drops

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Not sure if it's the Reformed trade fervor doing it or what, but I'm playing a MP game as Ottomans and despite having twice as much land trade power and twice as many trade ships in the node, France is still able to divert most of the Malaccas trade to South Africa. Pretty frustrating, as I invested a lot in continuing the flow to Gulf of Aden --> Alexandria.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

skasion posted:

You can’t entirely ignore winter unless all the territory in question has really good supply or all your armies are really small. It’s just that attrition is a comparatively slow/inevitable killer and your manpower pool can deal with absorbing it much more easily than it can deal with a big battle with tens of thousands of casualties. You go into every war knowing that attrition won’t make a huge difference even though in total it does kill lots of troops.

I wish we could get a release date already so I know if I have time for another run before it drops

It probably won't be in July, most of the dev team is on Swedish summer vacation.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Nah I'm still at the office. Organising Office Chair races

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Groogy posted:

Nah I'm still at the office. Organising Office Chair races

I fully expect you and DDRJake to continue to do the multiplayer stream, even if it's only AIs. Gotta see what Nitra's up to.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

DDRJake posted:

New
Lots of comments about the capped attrition in the game. I am not a fan of the 5% attrition cap and would like to make attrition overall much more meaningful, however we need to do so in such a way that doesn't destroy the AI.

It won't be happening in Dharma, but it is on the "we would love to get this sorted" list.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That and the related problem of infinite mercs (because the AI needs them) are the holy grails of making EU4 into a better game and I'm extremely unconvinced that it's going to happen.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i don't think they can under their production model. it makes it hard to work with more deeply integrated systems. as opposed to bolting things on, which they've got down to an art.

oh well, maybe in eu5

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I don't understand why the ai sometimes parks 35k on a mountain suffering 5% for years on end but I'm not a game dev.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

sloshmonger posted:

I fully expect you and DDRJake to continue to do the multiplayer stream, even if it's only AIs. Gotta see what Nitra's up to.

When the Swedes are away the Dane and Scotsman will play.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I don't understand why the ai sometimes parks 35k on a mountain suffering 5% for years on end but I'm not a game dev.

AI is hard

Prav posted:

i don't think they can under their production model. it makes it hard to work with more deeply integrated systems. as opposed to bolting things on, which they've got down to an art.

oh well, maybe in eu5

Not to pick on your comment specifically but this attitude's been cropping up a lot lately and it's going way too far in the other direction. I agree there's plenty to be dissatisfied about with some of the directions EU4's gone in, but they've touched fundamental systems plenty of times before. Unrest, development, and technology were huge and fairly fundamental overhauls. With some other stuff I guess you can split hairs about what "bolting things on" is, but about the only mechanics that they've seemed to be unwilling to touch have been land combat and trade. The DLC stuff not getting its fair due after it's out has been a major problem but the base game mechanics haven't really suffered for that.

even aside from that, attrition doesn't really seem like a deeply integrated system like that, although maybe it is in how the AI'd have to work with it, I unno. I definitely was on the "this is never going to be improved" camp, but with the lead dev explicitly bringing it up, I'm now a lot more hopeful.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

If you make the AI avoid attrition too much then it can't actually do anything in high attrition situations which is also bad

They do overhaul poo poo from time to time, it's only the DLC stuff that really feels like it's just sitting on top of an otherwise complete game (which is by design I would assume so that the no-DLC experience is better; the recent change to Estates is moving in this direction as well)

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 4, 2018

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

On attrition, one simple thing you could do to make it more interesting for you, you could try out by just lowering the base reinforcement down to like 20(which is at 100 people per regiment in vanilla). The thing is attrition matters, but you don't really see it. Your reinforcement is always higher, unless of bad modifiers, than the attrition. Because of that your armies are always in pristine condition. Play around with that a bit and see what you think. The problem gets to when you are sieging a fort.... and you can't continue the siege because.... you can't reinforce fast enough to keep up with the attrition in that arid mountain province meaning you have to literally cycle armies in order to just take a lousy 3 dev desert fort. And like that is the jist of it, if we rip it our and replace it with something else, we are opening a can of worms like that.

Like someone pointed out the attrition is already potent if you check the ledger for how many actually die to attrition. But my impression is people just feel like it doesn't do anything because you don't get any real damage on your actual regiments. And I am pretty sure the second we do apply it in a manner where regiments will not be able to reinforce fast enough from just walking around or sieging a province.... people will find that very unfun. Could do what I suggested for you to try out but give like supply depots some local reinforce rate bonuses. Then suddenly we nerfed everything to force people to buy CoC.

TL;DR: It's complicated, but it has nothing to do with our business model really.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 4, 2018

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I get your point that it's always gonna be hard to avoid unintended side affects, but aside from for some gigaspergs, I don't think the issue is about modelling attrition so it's punishing in every single situation, like that fort example. The problem (for me anyway) is that the cap essentially negates most of the more prominent geographical features of the world. Crossing the Himalayas, attacking Russia in winter, marching across a desert with 100k men--these are the kinds of situations (I think) you should have to deal with cycling armies and so on.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

My point was literally the cap has nothing to do with it.
And it doesn't matter, if it is the Himalayas or Russia. The same will apply to anywhere since you are always taking some kind of attrition. Taking that fort in the Alps that your enemy scorched earth? Welp.

But like I said, it is super easy to mod so you should give it a spin.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 4, 2018

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

If you make the AI avoid attrition too much then it can't actually do anything in high attrition situations which is also bad

They do overhaul poo poo from time to time, it's only the DLC stuff that really feels like it's just sitting on top of an otherwise complete game (which is by design I would assume so that the no-DLC experience is better; the recent change to Estates is moving in this direction as well)

I don't mean in a war or when they need to do stuff, I'm referring to the longstanding issue of random ai breaking and just sitting 30k or more men on a mountain while at peace and bleeding manpower down to zero

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Groogy posted:

My point was literally the cap has nothing to do with it.
And it doesn't matter, if it is the Himalayas or Russia. The same will apply to anywhere since you are always taking some kind of attrition. Taking that fort in the Alps that your enemy scorched earth? Welp.

But like I said, it is super easy to mod so you should give it a spin.

"I get your (side) point that...*" -- I wasn't saying that was your main point.

And I think you're misunderstanding. It's not about you feeling tangible attrition in every situation, it's about being able to put armies in ridiculous places with relatively little consequence.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

There is though, if you are fielding a medium sized army of 100k troops spread over a ton of 5% attrition doing stuff they'll be losing 5 000 men a month. You've replaced that entire army in little more than a year. Your manpower needs 10 years to refill to 100% again.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I don't mean in a war or when they need to do stuff, I'm referring to the longstanding issue of random ai breaking and just sitting 30k or more men on a mountain while at peace and bleeding manpower down to zero

Well yeah that's just the AI literally breaking for some reason and is totally separate from the AI being generally not great at avoiding attrition while at war

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't suppose it would help to reduce the reinforcement rate based on the attrition level? Or put in some siege modifier which increases it just for that situation (since it's easier to catch up to an army sitting outside a fort for a year).

Do the new elephant models also include any new battle sounds? :v:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Poil posted:

I don't suppose it would help to reduce the reinforcement rate based on the attrition level? Or put in some siege modifier which increases it just for that situation (since it's easier to catch up to an army sitting outside a fort for a year).
I wasn't saying nothing can be done to make it better or more interesting. Just saying it ain't that simple, especially when it's something like attrition.

Poil posted:

Do the new elephant models also include any new battle sounds? :v:
Yes

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I have no idea how feasible it is but what about stealing the supply system from HOI for the purposes of determining how reinforcements get to you? That way if the reinforcements are routing through bad ground or overseas, it's a trickle, but if you're just sieging down a border province it's fine.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Groogy posted:

There is though, if you are fielding a medium sized army of 100k troops spread over a ton of 5% attrition doing stuff they'll be losing 5 000 men a month. You've replaced that entire army in little more than a year. Your manpower needs 10 years to refill to 100% again.

A year isn't much good when it only takes a few months to walk over the Himalayas or get past the worst of the snowfall in Russia (or in this new instance, for the monsoon season to end). I'm not saying attrition doesn't have a bite--I actually think it works really well mostly--but it falls flat in edge cases like these, except these edge cases in large part defined those particular regions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Groogy posted:

I wasn't saying nothing can be done to make it better or more interesting. Just saying it ain't that simple, especially when it's something like attrition.
I'm sure the internet is full of understanding people if you wish to experiment. :)

quote:

Yes
Sweet, I'm looking forward to the trumpeting from the deep.