Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
So, I caved and got the starter set for $57 from the Ebay 20% off sale. I like the look of the game in the videos I've seen, and there are a few people who play in the area, so we'll see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Seems like a stationary turret would take some confidence in your ability to intelligently select the battlefield cards and deploy. My meaningless kneejerk reaction is that the imperial version is better and cheaper.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I'm wondering if a stationary turret might suffer from being alpha striked before it gets chance to be cool in a game as fast and killy as legion is from my limited experience of one whole game. Is it going to live or die in a sniper duel type situation depending on who gets the first shot off?

In which case, does it synergise strongly with the 0 pip Han Shot First ability?

Regardless its a cool thing and I wasn't expecting to see it so good job FFG!

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The half-hidden card on the Rebel gun looks like you can tap it and it gains suppressive, that'll be a good trick out to range 4. Deployment will be everything, and at least they made sure that the Rebel one can withstand a Scout biker volley. The low visibility condition will suck if you take the Rebel one.

Even if you have cumbersome, you can move and ready, right?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Thank God rebel players now have a reason to ditch all the horrible cards Imps hate playing.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

hoiyes posted:

The half-hidden card on the Rebel gun looks like you can tap it and it gains suppressive, that'll be a good trick out to range 4. Deployment will be everything, and at least they made sure that the Rebel one can withstand a Scout biker volley. The low visibility condition will suck if you take the Rebel one.

Even if you have cumbersome, you can move and ready, right?

They actually show the upgrade cards, and they're the same in both boxes. One gives the attack pool suppresive AND two extra white dice, the other gives Impact 1 and an extra black die (so the Rebel one can be Impact 3), and the third upgrade card allows the turret to issue an order to itself (so being immobile is less of an issue)

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Veers' command card Imperial discipline seems like a good match for the teams. Definitely thinking adding Suppressive is the better effect, especially with trooper spam being the key strat at the moment.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Orvin posted:

Nope. For ranged attacks, both the attacker and defender must not be in melee. Also, you form all dice pools before resolving any of them, so no killing off the troopers in melee range, then shooting at something.

Just getting back to this, today FFG posted an official ruling thread, and this is answered that you can in fact stomp and shoot.

I think their rules writing left it unclear (:ffg:) as "During a ranged attack, the attacker and defender are not in a melee..." is meant to mean "not in a melee with each other".

Edit for link:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/277344-star-wars-legion-official-rulings/

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Can anybody help me out - looking for a size comparison between Legion models and old school Space Marines. Particularly whether a bolter would look too small for a stormtrooper.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Would this game work as a 2v2 with each player getting a commander and a few units, I wonder?

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Would this game work as a 2v2 with each player getting a commander and a few units, I wonder?

I played a 2v2 Grand Army game where each player brought 800. Worked pretty well. Make sure you can work together with your buddy.

Edit: Wrote up a bunch of Legion strategy articles (and my buddies did too). Check 'em out: http://www.steelstrategy.com/p/legion.html

Val Helmethead fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 9, 2018

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I think I'm done with this game until Imperials get a commander that isn't a straight downgrade to it's rebel counterpart. Playing against Luke with his infinite amount of bullshit is about the most unfun thing imaginable I knew this game would end up being a giant force user jerkoff fest.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

banned from Starbucks posted:

I think I'm done with this game until Imperials get a commander that isn't a straight downgrade to it's rebel counterpart. Playing against Luke with his infinite amount of bullshit is about the most unfun thing imaginable I knew this game would end up being a giant force user jerkoff fest.

Veers so good, though!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Literally worse than Leia in every stat what a bargain!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Literally worse than Leia in every stat what a bargain!

He costs less, you ninny! And hands out aim tokens like candy on halloween!

Run these guys with him:

Stormtroopers - 44 points
- DLT-19 Stormtrooper - 24 points
- Targeting Scopes - 6 points
Total: 74 points

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
Veers is longer ranged than Leia and a bit tougher defensively "by default", though Leia can mitigate this with Nimble. Vader is much stronger than Luke but also much slower than him. Boba Fett isn't out yet but is one of the overall strongest single models in the game.

At present, the Rebels have better commanders, the Empire has better vehicles, and the troops are pretty even on both sides.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I can't find a battlemat that's a good urban/industrial theme for a "city planet" terrain setup that isn't either too conventionally terran and/or has English writing on it.

It's a shame because Corvus designs makes some great generic sci fi city buildings.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I got bored with painting white stormtroopers.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
Man, that picture really goes to show how comically oversized 40k guns are, especially when you consider that Legion is actually in a larger scale!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

head58 posted:

I got bored with painting white stormtroopers.

Cobraaaaaaaa!!!

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

A local player made a Boba Fett and a heavy blaster team, and yeah, they are powerful. I think they're gonna be auto-include in most armies and likely the rebel cannon will be too. They can effectively tie up whole parts of the map against a rush, and Boba can hop around scenery to monster troops. If you want to give it a try, dust off your rebel assault figs and base them on card.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

xutech posted:

A local player made a Boba Fett and a heavy blaster team, and yeah, they are powerful. I think they're gonna be auto-include in most armies and likely the rebel cannon will be too. They can effectively tie up whole parts of the map against a rush, and Boba can hop around scenery to monster troops. If you want to give it a try, dust off your rebel assault figs and base them on card.

Boba seems strong but I've been very unimpressed by the E-Web, having played several games with and against both on Tabletop Simulator - the inability to move and shoot and limit of one move per turn really hurts that thing.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Boba can zip all over the place but his dmg still seems mediocre for his cost.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Boba can zip all over the place but his dmg still seems mediocre for his cost.

Sharpshooter 2 means a lot, since cover is so easy to get in this game. Boba has to get to range 2 to fire both his weapons, but once he does 4 black dice ignoring cover with surge to crit and Pierce/Impact 1 are pretty strong, inflicting 2.5 wounds without aiming on average and then ignoring the first successful save. The Hunter upgrade (free aim token when firing at a wounded trooper unit) does nothing vs. normal squads but helps vs. commanders and weapon teams, and his flamethrower adds a lot of damage at the cost of an inflexible command card. One other note is that we don't know Boba's third command card but given the other two it's probably some sort of powerful weapon, so that may further increase his damage.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

New Han Solo preview from FFG!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

loving hell that face sculpt

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

The paintjob is certainly technically better than the original one shown with the announcement articles, it's just that he went from looking like he got stung by a bunch of bees to Frankenstein's monster. Change of Plans looks annoying as gently caress since it often feels like big-deal command cards like Master of Evil are pretty predictable.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Gumdrop Larry posted:

The paintjob is certainly technically better than the original one shown with the announcement articles, it's just that he went from looking like he got stung by a bunch of bees to Frankenstein's monster. Change of Plans looks annoying as gently caress since it often feels like big-deal command cards like Master of Evil are pretty predictable.

Change of Plans is a poorly worded card that looks like you can just keep playing out on a key turn until your opponent is forced to play Standing Orders.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

hoiyes posted:

Change of Plans is a poorly worded card that looks like you can just keep playing out on a key turn until your opponent is forced to play Standing Orders.

"You may discard this card to"

Gotta lose it if you want the effect.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Strobe posted:

"You may discard this card to"

Gotta lose it if you want the effect.

My bad. Xwing has left me jaded.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

loving hell that face sculpt

It looks fine.

Just paint him as Old Han and he'll look good.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Alas, no swiveling throne:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/7/10/master-of-the-dark-side/

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Genuinely surprised to see Palpatine! He must come with a Vader-level price tag on him.

Royal Guard as a melee unit makes sense. If we dont see Chewie as an operative and a unit of Wookies soon then I dunno what FFG are smoking.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Surprised to see him this early anyway.

Not a huge fan of every galaxy/theater level commander and would love for aesthetic reasons for there to be more company-level down to Earth/Sullust/Tatooine guys.

Rogue One was an uneven movie but it's just filled to the brim with stuff that would be great to see in Legion. The titular Rogue One dudes, Saw and his Partisans, Krenic and Deathtroopers. Would own.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lol at Sheev getting personally involved in such vital missions as: Carry this box, and Stand in this area. They really are just making this game Imp Assault XL aren't they.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Owlbear Camus posted:

Krenic and Deathtroopers. Would own.

I thought this was a strong possibility for the 3rd Imperial commander and elite troop choice. As you say, it seems early to be bringing out Palpatine. Hell, does this mean Yoda is around the corner?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lol at Sheev getting personally involved in such vital missions as: Carry this box, and Stand in this area. They really are just making this game Imp Assault XL aren't they.

You're thinking too small. Think:

Carry this box (containing a Jedi/Sith holocron)

Stand in this (Force channeling) area.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If I'm going to make statuary of 3 1/4 figures sprayed with bronse paint, what's a good cheap option to look for for a nice base/plinth?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Man, Palpatine does Palpatine things for Palpatine reasons. Maybe the box is full of his favorite hentai. Or, weird Sith stuff. Or both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Ugleb posted:

Genuinely surprised to see Palpatine! He must come with a Vader-level price tag on him.

Royal Guard as a melee unit makes sense. If we dont see Chewie as an operative and a unit of Wookies soon then I dunno what FFG are smoking.

210 points base... He looks better than Vader. Anger + 1 pip command card seems real good. Getting him into position will be the hard part. Makes you wonder if there'll ever be troop transports.