Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Maltloaf posted:

Paid $10 to post this sloppy GIF, but the for hours of laughter I hope it's well spent. Thank you all.

what an entrance

I wonder if croberts has seen a crobear yet. I hope so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Titanic posted:

4) Jonny , Sys Designer
Q: What kinda of NON Combat equipment are planned?
A: Multitool, a pocket switcharmy knife thing. Multiple attachments, Cutting attachment, pocket welder and cutter. Can cut through surfaces! Repair and salvage attachment, go to the damaged part and fix your ship! Superficial damage only. Mini tractor attachment! In Zero G, can push and pull things, pull yourself towards objects heavier than yourself. So... COD IW's grappling hook? (ok i'm not going to listen to the rest)

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

big nipples big life posted:

what an entrance

I wonder if croberts has seen a crobear yet. I hope so.

You know drat well both of those narcissistic bastards read this thread.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Maltloaf posted:

Paid $10 to post this sloppy GIF, but the for hours of laughter I hope it's well spent. Thank you all.

hahaha niiiiiiiice

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

It's fake as hell

^^^ This.

Also, RedBull got a look at a playable Pre-Alpha of “Beyond Good & Evil 2”.

The Star Citizen mentions occur throughout. I’ve excerpted a lot below.

quote:

Is Beyond Good and Evil 2 more ambitious than Star Citizen?

It's a weird comparison, but they have a common (ground?) upon which they stand -- real-time, geometry-based space travel. So of the two, why do we think Beyond Good and Evil 2 is more ambitious?

Key passages:

quote:

There’s an impressive video that was released a while ago showcasing the true geometry and real-time finesse required to understand, and master, Star Citizen, of a planetside entry, ship-landing and then third-person exit into a fully populated interior. And there’s no question this was an impressive display of raw design and technology. But the content we saw behind closed doors at this year’s E3 for Beyond Good and Evil 2 easily trumped that. Largely because Beyond Good and Evil 2 isn’t taking its space-faring overly seriously. Theirs is an action-RPG sci-fi future where rules can be written on-the-fly to accommodate artistic vision and fun gameplay.

Well if it’s fun to play it isn’t a space game, smarty pants!

quote:

But it’s time to head to the surface via the players’ spaceships -- (which look drat cool, we might add), and it’s in this real-time transition that the gravity of the game begins to present itself, because once our players emerge into the larger game-world outside, the scene is breathtaking. Imagine cinematic worlds and marvels like Blade Runner, The Fifth Element and Ghost in the Shell, but remove the dark neon edge -- that poo poo’s for Cyberpunk 2077, anyway -- and replace it with a GTA-esque world that isn’t so much horizontal in its potential traversal, but super-vertical. Flying cars of varying design move like blood cells through a vascular system, which is poignant in metaphor, because they all also look to serve a function to the heartbeat of Ganesha City, which is the name of the place our BCD is taking place.

quote:

It needs to be noted that at this point, the game is very impressive and shows a lot of promise, but outside of the planetside freedom, the game’s gorgeous visuals, the RPG content and some information on the social structure of Ganesha City we’re not seeing a huge amount of game-changing content. You can upgrade your spaceship, and I take note to list the modular components up for customisation and tinkering in: Modules, Gear, Cosmetic, Cabin, Energy and Engine. And rightfully at this point, it’s not a stretch to just start thinking of Beyond Good and Evil 2 as a GTA-like game in the future and in space (or Watch Dogs, to keep Ubi happy). But we’re about to be thrown a cosmic curveball that flips the script on that analogy and Beyond Good and Evil 2 goes beyond even my wildest expectations...

quote:

“We've done many, many engines in the past and this one is by far the most ambitious that we are creating.”

The allusion here is to “game-space”. Let’s pick up where we left off before Guillaume Brunier gave us some information on their new game-engine. Our demoers have finished off the Ganesha City Police (to liberate captured pirates, for context) and now after upgrading our spaceship, we head upwards, towards the vacuum of space. Our vehicle is fighting gravity and the planet’s atmosphere and a blanket of fire engulfs the nose of our ship. It’s glorious, and behind us the view of the city shrinks -- in real-time. This isn’t a cleverly hidden load screen, either. It’s all true geometry, and before we know it, we break through the planet’s atmosphere and escape its gravitational pull. In front of us, in orbit around the planet is our Mothership -- a 500-metre long home for you and your crew.

You can dock your spaceship here and customise the poo poo out of it, too. In fact, we’re told that while the spaceship-to-spaceship combat (or “dogfighting”) in space, and in-atmosphere is cool, we’ll also engage in massive naval-esque space battles Mothership-to-Mothership, with the 360-degree battlefield that is space, playing an important part in tactics.

And right now we’re thinking “holy poo poo”.

Holy poo poo.

Only 500 meters. Phht!

quote:

In Star Citizen, conversely, while we’ve been shown impressive demos, they’ve been modular; there’s no seamlessness to the overall game-world. Or, “game-universe” in both games’ cases. Geometry is fast becoming a new platform for tech wares to be championed, and Star Citizien’s game-universe, while equally ambitious, currently doesn’t have this on-show. At least not to the level Beyond Good and Evil 2 has revealed. And again, they’ve had seven-odd years to expose the traversal nature of the game, on the whole. And in saying that, we reunite with Ubisoft and their increasingly impressive real-time, in-game demo.

Because they’re still not done. Each space pirate will have access to a special armour that protects the wearer in space, only it’s like a clear force-field type of armour. And having flicked it on, our character alights from her ship and walks across the wing to look back at the planet below. We bust out our trusty spyglass and zoom in on Ganesha City -- through it, we can literally see the original subterranean space the demo began in. But right now we’re in space. Standing on the wing of our spaceship, wearing a special clear space armour dealie. Our 500-metre long Mothership is behind us. And nothing has loaded. It’s all played out in absolute real-time and, for repetitive impact, in true geometrical space. Right now, we’re struggling to find our jaws on the floor, especially with eyes glued to the screen. Surely this is it, right?

Wrong.

While in space, with no air friction, no gravitational pull and no atmosphere, our personal spaceships can travel at great speed, and we see this play out. The planets around us get smaller and the gas giant they orbit, Dyaus, looms larger. And Ubisoft is very quick to remind us this isn’t a 2D image, or a separate part of the game, we’re witnessing a game-engine capable of populating a world with intricacy and density, where missions, artwork, character interactions and more are as fleshed out in real-time as the solar system in which you live. And you can travel freely throughout all of it, because you’re a goddamned space pirate, with your own Mothership, your own cool-AF spaceship and your own hover moped.

Conclusion posted:

So is Beyond Good and Evil 2 more ambitious than Star Citizen? Well, we ask you this: does Star Citizen have hover mopeds? Does it have geoglyphs as planetary points of interest? Does it have funky monkeys piloting huge Motherships? Does it have Beyond Good and Evil 2’s charm? Probably not. So right now, we’re firmly entrenched in the tantalising “space opera” that Ubisoft is crafting, and realistically, at this rate Beyond Good and Evil 2 will officially launch before Star Citizen anyway.

Mic.

Drop.

I’d rather see it than read about it and am not especially hyped by their cinematic trailers, beautiful though they are. But it is interesting that Ubisoft is going for an ARPG space fantasy game with an ambitious engine, space flight and combat, big rear end motherships and what not. And interesting too that RedBull seems eager to poke explicitly at CIG’s glacial pace and lifeless space vision. I’d not be surprised if the demo and interview had a lot of off the record (crap)talk about Star Citizen or if Ubisoft was more explicitly inviting the comparisons that carried through to the article narrative. If nothing else, the author seems to be enjoying taking the piss.

Maltloaf posted:

:five::five:

G0RF fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 4, 2018

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

G0RF posted:

Awww, there's no comments section

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Foo Diddley posted:

Awww, there's no comments section

Thank goodness — we’d have a full novella from Joe Blobers there already by now...

Maltloaf
Jul 3, 2018

Colostomy Bag posted:

Welcome, what's your story.

In regard to SC, backed but due to extremely poor internet only ever got it installed the once and only after much "delete your user folder" hassle. Basic reaction to the "game" was "lol wut" especially as I was enjoying Elite in small doses, and still do. Playing both and the faults just get clearer -- it's a bizarro world hare and tortoise fable. Frontier are clearly ahead and like to take naps, but the tortoise isn't going to win because Chris kicked it down the hill and it's stuck on it's back.

After the tenth crash in an hour and sixth time clipping into a dimension where we don't need eyes (and also, it seems, bones) I gave up. Never managed to install it again because delta patching was at tier-minus 1 status. Refund followed and I've kept track of it ever since because it was immediately clear they had broken the engine, and broken engines are hilarious.

So now I'm invested ten bucks into SC, just not in the way Chris Roberts would like.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Also it should be mentioned, that Cyberpunk 2077 and Beyond Good and Evil 2 will both be $60

And even if they have micros or dlc, adding it all up will not remotely approach $27k. And they're not accepting pre-dlc purchases (what in the gently caress) before its even done.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Maltloaf posted:

In regard to SC, backed but due to extremely poor internet only ever got it installed the once and only after much "delete your user folder" hassle. Basic reaction to the "game" was "lol wut" especially as I was enjoying Elite in small doses, and still do. Playing both and the faults just get clearer -- it's a bizarro world hare and tortoise fable. Frontier are clearly ahead and like to take naps, but the tortoise isn't going to win because Chris kicked it down the hill and it's stuck on it's back.

After the tenth crash in an hour and sixth time clipping into a dimension where we don't need eyes (and also, it seems, bones) I gave up. Never managed to install it again because delta patching was at tier-minus 1 status. Refund followed and I've kept track of it ever since because it was immediately clear they had broken the engine, and broken engines are hilarious.

So now I'm invested ten bucks into SC, just not in the way Chris Roberts would like.

quote:

Sounds like you just don’t understand game development, friend! Frontier started work on their game in the 80s, Chris Roberts only started this year. He had to build a company first. In fact, like the UberDev he is, he went ahead and built 17. And furthermore...

(MoMA? Can you pick it up from here?)

But seriously welcome to the thread!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

G0RF posted:

^^^ This.

tbf star citizen does have hover mopeds, they just don't work and flip over every time you try and get on one.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I am sorry to inform you guys that 2 MoMAs have been let go. We wish them the best in any future endeavors they may have in their respective fields.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Foo Diddley posted:

There are a few videos where they stream the game on Egosoft's site. It looks like they listened to everyone's complaints about Rebirth, so X4 is actually looking pretty good

I'll check those out, thanks :)

Also these GIFs are a nice way to pop back into this thread after a few months off so well done citizens

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
https://imgur.com/28OZkbd

all that hollywood-grade mo-cap and ground-breaking animations are really paying off, not now, this is tier 0, obviously

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Hover Moped sale in 2 weeks.

Calling it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
/\/\/\they could ban these fuckers so easily and like 90% of our laughs would stop and their community would be levels of better, yet here we are/\/\

So if a high level director has to sign off every stupid thing, how the gently caress does a company, who spends so much time talking about their fps guns, gently caress up something so simple, like did nobody try aiming with the gun, like where is the oversight that's slowing everything down

Morphix fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 4, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Morphix posted:

https://imgur.com/28OZkbd

all that hollywood-grade mo-cap and ground-breaking animations are really paying off, not now, this is tier 0, obviously

Why would you even have a scope if you're wearing a space helmet?

Why not have like a camera that sends and AR feed into your HUD or something

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Zaphod42 posted:

i think its because like many much more eloquent posters have pointed out, space worms have infested Roberts brain and he hasn't actually had an original or interesting or well thought out idea since the 90s., possible ever.

Because lets be honest, stealing star wars poo poo and putting it into a video game when cinematics were becoming a thing in the industry isn't exactly high concept poo poo.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hold on a second, is that whole thing going down because Gremlich believes the action of ejecting casings is what causes muzzle climb?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Maltloaf posted:

With today’s avatar purchase i’m now deeper into lowtax than Star Citizen.

I like that imagery.

Beet Wagon posted:

Hold on a second, is that whole thing going down because Gremlich believes the action of ejecting casings is what causes muzzle climb?

He’s going to take a couple of days to figure it out.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hav posted:

He’s going to take a couple of days to figure it out.

The world of Star Citizen is fuckin bizarre, man.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

DO you think he has an uncle that works at nintendo

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
What we can see is that Elite is a raw unadulterated space game, which just happens to be empty as hell and in a way very boring while traversing those massively empty spaces. But, it does have its own artistic direction, mainly in the ships, the gameplay (FD's own versions of mining, space combat and trading are all there), the outposts and space station that give the empty galaxy some form of life. Elite has its own flavor, and niche which is why boring rear end people like me sit down after a long day just to kit out a Krait MKII and shoot stuff. Oh did I mention a tri-beam Krait is baddass af? Well I just did, the game is absolutely playable and available (on sale now!)

Star Citizen gives the illusion of direction (art, gameplay, lore) every piece of concept art has probably been used for marketing. Concept art should only be used after the game has been shipped to reiterate how close to the initial concept your product achieved. Not to market and make money from it. Its an achievement, a milestone passed when you realize, holy poo poo, we did it. This is what we gunned for and we arrived. Chris robs himself and his team of all this progress and sense of achivement, instead with each agile reiteration, he fundamentally rehashes what Star Citizen is, its gameplay, its direction, its values.

Personally, this is the reason why the old programmers and leads, left, because as a programmer, money isn't everything. Its the achievement of creating something that not only checks all the boxes on the requirement spec sheet, but surpassing it. But when you are robbed of all this, it feels like poo poo to work at places like these.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beet Wagon posted:

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 4, 2018

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Beet Wagon posted:

I've been known to fire many many machine-guns, people are always telling me, "wow mister, you look like you've fired a lot of machine-guns"

if you have any machine-gun related questions, I can answer them all

http://www.kulturemedia.org/itemimage/GatoradeMocksAsianWeaklingimg-gatorade-flexes.png

(the url is something else)

e- apparantly the site stopped the image from showing up, jerks now this half working joke completely fell apart

Morphix fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 4, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

tbf star citizen does have hover mopeds, they just don't work and flip over every time you try and get on one.

Advantage: CIG.

trucutru posted:

I am sorry to inform you guys that 2 MoMAs have been let go. We wish them the best in any future endeavors they may have in their respective fields.

Advantage: CIG

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beet Wagon posted:

I don't get that either. Nor that it would be explained by the direction of the ejection. If anything, that would mean the climb was in the exact opposite direction. I know that physics is a horrible anathema and heresy to anyone championing SC, but what the hell?! :eng99:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Gremlich is giving me Skinly flashbacks...

https://twitter.com/LeonardSkinly/status/709147958520913920

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Having a mansion and millionaire lifestyle is not a matter of money, it's just a personwall. All you have to do is marry a celebrity.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Also, before the rest of that thread is screen-shotted, I just want to make it clear that laser weapons do indeed have recoil. So of course, he calls BS on that too, because physics and reality is the enemy.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I still can't decide if Skinly or Sandi's favorite number is peak thread. It's probably Skinly but they are both hilarious.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

I don't get that either. Nor that it would be explained by the direction of the ejection. If anything, that would mean the climb was in the exact opposite direction. I know that physics is a horrible anathema and heresy to anyone championing SC, but what the hell?! :eng99:

Just a friendly reminder for the sake of your sanity: Gremlich is retarded

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

I still can't decide if Skinly or Sandi's favorite number is peak thread. It's probably Skinly but they are both hilarious.

The Skinly Incident went on for pages and pages. When I revisit it, there's always something I forgot... Like #nofear.

It's not peak thread for me but it's Top 5 for sure. It just went on and on and on...

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I love the Gremlich, I still remember when he mistook French with motherfucking German while claiming to be a linguist.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

It's a thousand years in the future, why are people even using their arms to fire those guns? Just look at the stuff you want to waste, and let the actuator mounted on your shoulder aim and fire the stupid gun.

But this is the retro-future and a game so whatever!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mein gott! Full body rubs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

no_recall posted:

Personally, this is the reason why the old programmers and leads, left, because as a programmer, money isn't everything. Its the achievement of creating something that not only checks all the boxes on the requirement spec sheet, but surpassing it. But when you are robbed of all this, it feels like poo poo to work at places like these.

Chris doesn't only rob developers of their sense of accomplishment by destroying what they create. He also robs them of credit when they create something good despite him.

See: anything that ever actually released with his name even tangentially linked to it.