Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hey China thread. What's the difference between a chinese kitchen and a western kitchen?

https://www.ft.com/content/3557750e-c559-11e3-89a9-00144feabdc0

quote:

European furnishings may be in vogue but interiors still cater to Chinese functionality. Many villas, for example, are built with both a western and Chinese kitchen – the former is for show and the latter to do the cooking.

Two kitchens? :aaa: Some googling lead me to a strange website with an assortment of chinese kitchens. But the website looks straight out of 1995 so these may not be contemporary.
http://www.paulnoll.com/Oregon/Chinese/kitchens-optic.html

Okay a Chinese kitchen has no oven. And a hotplate with 1 or 2 burners instead of a 4 burner stovetop. And a much smaller fridge than you get in american kitchens. Includes a rice cooker but maybe no microwave?

So why not cook in the westerns style kitchen if you have one? To my round eyes the Chinese style kitchen doesn't seem to have any functions that are missing from a western style kitchen. Most of the examples are small and cluttered, which saves steps I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
China has a few thousand years' lead on us when it comes to kitchens, it's not something you would understand.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If you had like a jet wok burner and a big ventilation thing it might make sense I guess.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Ups_rail posted:

But why dump on chaingmai when they got the tiggers.

Also why is Thailand viewed as some kinda sexual Disney land?
When they have WHAT?

Your second question is that it only recently became a place for families and tourists. For many, many decades (from Vietnam War times), it was a US Navy shore leave sex land (particularly Pattaya) and the "best" place in Mainland Asia to pick up a cheap Asian wife. It was extremely cheap, hookers were included with hotel room prices, and lonely men from all over the world retired there to get cheap beer and sex until they died of heart attacks. It was also a great place to get drugs, and tons of backpackers flocked there for "exotic" year-long holidays where they taught English to little kids and got super rowdy and wasted at night, or just lived in a haze since the cost of living nicely was like $100 a month a couple decades ago. Back when weed was still an important reason to go somewhere (like how Amsterdam was famous), Thailand was one of those places where weed was everywhere and cops were easily bribed, not to mention all the drugs easily found there. Even when I was a kid meth was a popular problem people didn't want to talk about much.

The prostitute scene and culture surrounding catering to foreigners has never stopped, has become more ingrained than ever no matter what the government pretends to do, because those same type of guys never stopped coming (lol), and people there in the countryside are as poor as ever. Even with all the glitz and "international destination" monikers and Chinese tour groups now, you can still find whatever seedy stuff you want.

Basically, like 40+ years of Thailand being a place where a guy could bang whores and get drunk every night for 1/5th of their pension, or cheap holiday away from home will probably to do the same, will always be part of its reputation, especially since all of that is still part of the package.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Facebook Aunt posted:

So why not cook in the westerns style kitchen if you have one? To my round eyes the Chinese style kitchen doesn't seem to have any functions that are missing from a western style kitchen. Most of the examples are small and cluttered, which saves steps I guess.
Move into new house.
See kitchen.
Oil splatters go all the way up and around the ceiling and walls.
Kitchen is like 2m square.
"This is fine"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Facebook Aunt posted:

Hey China thread. What's the difference between a chinese kitchen and a western kitchen?

Two kitchens? :aaa: Some googling lead me to a strange website with an assortment of chinese kitchens. But the website looks straight out of 1995 so these may not be contemporary.

Okay a Chinese kitchen has no oven. And a hotplate with 1 or 2 burners instead of a 4 burner stovetop. And a much smaller fridge than you get in american kitchens. Includes a rice cooker but maybe no microwave?

This is a pretty normal kitchen in an older apartment. I've never heard of this two kitchen thing before.

Standard is two burners (not particularly strong), small fridge, no counter space, small sink. My apartment's kitchen is fairly large by Asian apartment standards and is still tiny. That one in the pic has a lot more counter space. You get used to it but it's in no way superior.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Are you really thinking that big mansions that have two kitchens have some tiny grungy 90's Chinese style kitchen because you found it on some dudes old rear end Geocitiesesqe website

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

LimburgLimbo posted:

Are you really thinking that big mansions that have two kitchens have some tiny grungy 90's Chinese style kitchen because you found it on some dudes old rear end Geocitiesesqe website

I don't know that's why I'm asking. The article was criminally short on pictures as it described the villas.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Just picture the tackiest thing you can possibly imagine. Someone blew up Liberace with a grenade inside of Versailles, but it's all cheaply made trash. Rich Chinese apartments all look like that.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
One is for show so you don’t want to get it dirty. The other one is the one the help actually uses.

I mean it’s weird that they describe them as “a Western kitchen and a Chinese kitchen” but I would guess that yeah the Chinese one doesn’t have an oven

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its like Versailles and Neuschwanstein gave birth to your house.

That chinese kitchen is also uniquitous and universally awful and sweet god why doesnt anybody install elbows/u-bends in the plumming

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I dunno I can kinda see the appeal of cooking in an enclosed, smaller, mostly tile room with a big vent hood and a couple wok burners, especially for vigorous stir-frying that loves to spray a thin film of oil droplets all over the place.

Wouldn't necessarily HAVE to be a tiny grungy broom-closet to have some advantages over the ridiculous open-plan great rooms that tend to be popular in expensive western houses, especially ones decorated with a bunch of crushed velvet and gold tassels and whatever the gently caress.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've never seen a Chinese apartment with a wok burner in the kitchen. I have a little adapter thing that will hold a wok to my burner, but it doesn't have anything remotely close to the heat needed for proper stir fry.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Pro PRC Laowai posted:

https://youtu.be/f4hUZwdZKqg

This one is for you fellas so quick to assume the worst of people

This is good, but it’s also humanizing, and therefore does not belong in this thread.

“drat, he’s good. It’s like staring into the sun!“

Barudak
May 7, 2007

hailthefish posted:

I dunno I can kinda see the appeal of cooking in an enclosed, smaller, mostly tile room with a big vent hood and a couple wok burners, especially for vigorous stir-frying that loves to spray a thin film of oil droplets all over the place

It also helps if you cook extremely spicy and dont want that permeating the whole house, thats a spice kitchen.

Its the forgoing the oven that always gets me

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Dunno if this has been posted before, but I hadn't seen it so: http://www.chinafile.com/reporting-opinion/postcard/bro-code

Small sample:

quote:

Group sex can also directly demonstrate a man’s relative standing in the group. A friend’s husband, formerly involved in the coal business in Shaanxi province, described this. “You’re there [in the KTV] with these jumped-up thugs. One of them picks a girl, and then he fucks her, and everybody else has to watch. The most important boss there goes first. At least it’s over quick.” Other members of the group then have to follow the bosses’ lead with the woman. Those who can’t perform in front of other men, he added, are mocked.

Pro PRC Laowai
Jun 14, 2018

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

This is good, but it’s also humanizing, and therefore does not belong in this thread.

“drat, he’s good. It’s like staring into the sun!“

The “Laowai 👍” at the end had me dying but I suppose you’re right

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bajaj posted:

When they have WHAT?

tigers (stupid auto correct)
?
how did you dad meet your thai mom?

Ups_rail fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 4, 2018

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

Ups_rail posted:

tigers (stupid auto correct)
?
how did you dad meet your thai mom?

At first I thought you were using some kind of Thai racial slur, but after conducting some research, I've discovered you're correct:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

BexGu posted:

Against China's own people? No. But if they us it against another military? Funny thing about using weapons that are considered war crimes is that then other armies don't tend to follow the Geneva Convention when fighting, capturing and dealing with war time prisoners.

... and China gives a poo poo about its cannon fodder?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Barudak posted:

Its like Versailles and Neuschwanstein gave birth to your house.

That chinese kitchen is also uniquitous and universally awful and sweet god why doesnt anybody install elbows/u-bends in the plumming

because they love the smell of poo gas.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Every kitchen I've had in China has had a burner 100x more powerful than and a hood above it way bigger than anything I ever had in the US. I think the lowest setting on my current stove is somewhere between medium and high on any I had back home.

Those are the only two differences I cant think of.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
More like a private room with small doorway and ventilated hood to keep the smells out of the house. Not an open kitchen

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
One kitchen to show off, and another kitchen for the ayi to actually cook in? Seems pretty obvious.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pirate Radar posted:

Taiwan’s cool if you like:

Museums
Mountains
One very tall building
Underappreciated beaches

And that’s just the north. We have a couple people in other parts who can weigh in

Also being able to visit #1 country

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
The head of HNA, a company in huge debt with murky Party ties, just died in France because he climbed over a wall to get a better camera shot. No word on whether he left a convenient note before conveniently falling to his death.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I almost died in France once by drunkenly jumping off a wall that I thought was not a barrier over a steep hill. It was. I think this is totally France's fault.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Escape Addict posted:

At first I thought you were using some kind of Thai racial slur, but after conducting some research, I've discovered you're correct:

They had to go somewhere after Uncle Xi banned them all from China along with Pooh :shrug:

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
so if xi is pooh who is piglet

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cry Havoc posted:

so if xi is pooh who is piglet

classic fresh off the boat emigrant to 'straya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGkxpx-O91U

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I almost died in France once by drunkenly jumping off a wall that I thought was not a barrier over a steep hill. It was. I think this is totally France's fault.

*Mimes* "Mais, non"

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Imperialist Dog posted:

The head of HNA, a company in huge debt with murky Party ties, just died in France because he climbed over a wall to get a better camera shot. No word on whether he left a convenient note before conveniently falling to his death.

Ugh, HNA, even in the context of large Chinese companies, they are shady as poo poo, I've been hoping for their demise for some time now. It won't happen though, as like you say, the murky party ties will keep them afloat like a turd you can't quite flush down. R.I.Piss

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

That's Cambodia, captain

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I wonder if the Khmer will ever have a democracy.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I'll be interested to see how China's new self-driving buses pan out.

http://news.abs-cbn.com/business/07/05/18/chinas-baidu-rolls-out-self-driving-buses

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
poo poo who left this pile of self driving busses on the sidewalk??

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Gromit posted:

http://news.abs-cbn.com/business/07/05/18/chinas-baidu-rolls-out-self-driving-buses

I'm going to guess exactly the same as their previous game-changing bus technology.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gromit posted:

they'll just build them like tanks, heavy enough to unequivocally demolish any vehicle and pastify any pedestrian they come across so they don't have to pay post-injury care reparations. and then they drive at maximum speed along their set route

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Gromit posted:

There's no way the self driving buses will be actually worse than current chinese bus drivers, right? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Even in Taiwan, the kitchens in modern apartments were fairly lovely. They just don't really put any emphasis on space or appliances. And why would you bake at home when you can get a sugary, sausage filled mess covered in mayonnaise at the local super market?

Bajaj posted:

Your second question is that it only recently became a place for families and tourists.

It's also worth noting that prostitution and compensated dating have been a deeply ingrained part of Thai culture for centuries, to the point that Chinese traders would comment on it in their letters and journals.

• Locked thread