Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

fun hater posted:

i would also love to read that story but instead its someone who gets rejected from like, a skull and bones society but with magic and makes it their mission to ruin their club meetings every week out of petty revenge

e: actually dibs

Jack and Maxine ruin W's day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If it's supposed to be the skull and bones society, you gotta insert a cameo from George Bush, John Kerry, or Taft

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I'd support a comic that is basically Paranatural but from Suzy's pov

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'd support a comic that is basically Paranatural but from Suzy's pov

I'd support a comic that's basically Paranatural but with an editor. How does a single chapter somehow go on for four and a half years and still not be anywhere near close to wrapping up? :psyduck:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

nine-gear crow posted:

I'd support a comic that's basically Paranatural but with an editor. How does a single chapter somehow go on for four and a half years and still not be anywhere near close to wrapping up? :psyduck:

The latest strip had a payoff that I still don’t quite understand its significance because it was set up like five years ago, halfway through the current chapter

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

avshalemon posted:

if you could snap your fingers and your perfect dream webcomic would pop into existence (with a reliable update schedule, non-jerk creator, all those good things). what would it be?

big american titties

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
have you heard of moon over june

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

thatbastardken posted:

big american titties

Ease up there, cousin Roman

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont actually know enough about moj to know if it specifically involves big american titties

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

nine-gear crow posted:

There's been enough material and shifts in objectives that this last chapter could reasonably be split into three chapters by now, and yet it continues on. Honestly, I'm expecting the next chapter break to just lead into chapter 5.5. We've joked about Ava's Demon's timeline, but Paranatural long ago beat it on the amount of time (in irl years) spent on three days of story since the start of the comic.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

what is a chapter when you really get down to it

and have you ever really just sat down and LOOKED at your hands

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whoa dude

honestly though i kinda feel like zack would maybe be better off having not had discrete chapters

but on the other hand i love their chapter title pages

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I was going to complain I had vowed to never read a story webcomic that wasn't finished until someone linked Check, Please! here and I got bamboozled again when it went into hiatus but I just checked and it seems it'll be getting regular weekly updates for a while so I guess sometimes things turn out okay.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i'd like to see some older characters in webcomics too. webcomics have the same issue as any other form of media, where everyone's under 25 with the occasional wise octogenarian but there's a whole forty-odd years of life that is just never represented. i don't think it's due to creator demographics; webcomic writers skew young because it's online media but most of the ones i've spoken to are in their 30s rather than fresh-faced teenagers, and i know there are plenty who are older than that (they just generally don't talk about their age). it could be because people get harder to draw as they get older, but i'm not sure about that either. nor do i think it's because older people aren't marketable, because from what i've seen the online market is kind of clamouring for hot sad dads. most webcomic makers are aspiring to break into a traditional market eventually and that's still definitely prejudiced toward the young and nubile for obvious reasons, but i really don't think the traditional market is where it's at anymore.

i guess i'd just like to see some slices of life / fantasy that focus on something other than young love and rebellion and the bildungsroman. those stories are good but they're not the only stories. i'd like more struggling single parents, long-term married couples having difficulties, middle-aged masters of their craft whose personal lives are a mess, directionless 40-somethings desperately in need of a mission, or the point of view of the merciless unseen powers persecuting the sassy teen mages for the common good, rather than the teen mages themselves (although they can still have a voice). there is definitely a "webcomic generation", but we're not actually kids anymore and some amazing things could happen if people started writing what they knew instead of trying to tailor their work to a market that may or may not exist (or creating questionably legal jerk-off material about bright young things, which is its own problem)

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

anyway that's my two sincere posts for the year out of the way, now here's my real suggestion: oh joy sex toys for rear end bum

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

avshalemon posted:

anyway that's my two sincere posts for the year out of the way, now here's my real suggestion: oh joy sex toys for rear end bum

Always a pleasure, darlin' :patriot:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Literally everyone should read Dr. McNinja. It takes a little bit to find its feet, but once it does, it avoids being monkeycheese because even though the setting's totally ridiculous, it never stops playing by the rules it establishes.

Also, it ended and it ended well.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Samuringa posted:

I was going to complain I had vowed to never read a story webcomic that wasn't finished until someone linked Check, Please! here and I got bamboozled again when it went into hiatus but I just checked and it seems it'll be getting regular weekly updates for a while so I guess sometimes things turn out okay.

wait, it's back now?

good

i needed more tiny gay hockey boys in my life

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, she was taking a break between "years" (read: volumes), A. to build a buffer, and B. to work on the 3rd volume kickstarter

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Phy posted:

Ease up there, cousin Roman

let's go bowling

no i don't care that you are driving a tank right now

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
My dream comic: a dream journal comic executed properly. The more hosed up the dreams are, the better.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'd like a comic like checkerboard nightmare again, that just dunks on other web comics. Except meaner.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Scaramouche posted:

I'd like a comic like checkerboard nightmare again, that just dunks on other web comics. Except meaner.

Oh, I want to change my answer to this

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
My ideal comic:
- Has a planned end
- Has interesting, relatable (if not necessarily likable) characters
- Has good character interactions that further their relationships and the plot
- The right amount of humor for the set tone
- Good worldbuilding (which applies even in a contemporary/realistic setting)
- Hits the right pace for the plot
- Has art that neither makes me want to claw my eyeballs out, or make me wish the artist went back to school (though I'm fine if the art undergoes clear progression from alright to good)
- Updates regularly and predictably
- Doesn't have an archive too deep for me to be able to catch up easily

Honestly though, "is interesting/funny to read" and "regular consistent schedule" are generally enough.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tollymain posted:

whoa dude

honestly though i kinda feel like zack would maybe be better off having not had discrete chapters

but on the other hand i love their chapter title pages

On the third hand; I find it hilarious how mad people get about it and I hope they just get increasingly more arbitrary about chapter beginnings and endings.

Anyway, if we're still doing the ideal comic thing; mine would be me learning to actually draw so I can make a comic that isn't garbage.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im p sure ive seen a comic or two floating around about middle-aged people

trying to remember the loving names lmao

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 4, 2018

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

there's o human star

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

avshalemon posted:

there's o human star

Did that ever get out of flashback hell

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dogwood Fleet posted:

My dream comic: a dream journal comic executed properly. The more hosed up the dreams are, the better.

Slow Wave was exactly that for a long time, but it looks like it got taken down

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Burkion posted:

Did that ever get out of flashback hell

Flashback hell just ended.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nuebot posted:

Flashback hell just ended.

Jesus Christ

Did we learn anything useful in all of that or is it still mostly the same just with some more explanation about how sad things are

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Burkion posted:

Jesus Christ

Did we learn anything useful in all of that or is it still mostly the same just with some more explanation about how sad things are

history of the two male lead's relationship followed by the realization of a.i. as people

re-reading the the thing in one go, the pacing is fine, i think, it's just been been dragged out over a huge stretch of real time

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nuebot posted:

On the third hand; I find it hilarious how mad people get about it and I hope they just get increasingly more arbitrary about chapter beginnings and endings.

The chapter divisions in Paranatural aren't arbitrary, is the thing: each chapter lasts one day. One extremely eventful day.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

avshalemon posted:

if you could snap your fingers and your perfect dream webcomic would pop into existence (with a reliable update schedule, non-jerk creator, all those good things). what would it be?

Homestuck, but more of it, and again.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I always thought that A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible felt like a dream journal

and

Android Blues posted:

Problem Sleuth, but more of it, and again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Android Blues posted:

Perry Bible Fellowship, but more of it, and again.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

VG Cats but erotic

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

avshalemon posted:

i guess i'd just like to see some slices of life / fantasy that focus on something other than young love and rebellion and the bildungsroman. those stories are good but they're not the only stories. i'd like more struggling single parents, long-term married couples having difficulties, middle-aged masters of their craft whose personal lives are a mess, directionless 40-somethings desperately in need of a mission, or the point of view of the merciless unseen powers persecuting the sassy teen mages for the common good, rather than the teen mages themselves (although they can still have a voice). there is definitely a "webcomic generation", but we're not actually kids anymore and some amazing things could happen if people started writing what they knew instead of trying to tailor their work to a market that may or may not exist (or creating questionably legal jerk-off material about bright young things, which is its own problem)
How about Alchemilla: http://alchemillacomic.com ?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

avshalemon posted:

i'd like to see some older characters in webcomics too. webcomics have the same issue as any other form of media, where everyone's under 25 with the occasional wise octogenarian but there's a whole forty-odd years of life that is just never represented. i don't think it's due to creator demographics; webcomic writers skew young because it's online media but most of the ones i've spoken to are in their 30s rather than fresh-faced teenagers, and i know there are plenty who are older than that (they just generally don't talk about their age). it could be because people get harder to draw as they get older, but i'm not sure about that either. nor do i think it's because older people aren't marketable, because from what i've seen the online market is kind of clamouring for hot sad dads. most webcomic makers are aspiring to break into a traditional market eventually and that's still definitely prejudiced toward the young and nubile for obvious reasons, but i really don't think the traditional market is where it's at anymore.

We'll definitely get more comics about adults living middle aged life/raising kids as more webcomic-makers move into those adult milestones. You see it slip into mainstream comics occasionally, when editors let Superman have a moment with his kid or whatever, since writers and artist there trend older. There a good family comics in syndication, but obviously that comes with it's own pacing and structure issues (Cul De Sac and its creator were too good for this world).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The ideal webcomic was already made and it was Demon

We weren't ready for it