Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

spankmeister posted:

Realtalk though, while the infosec field is very diverse and has lots and lots of great people, there are a lot of lazy and incompetent people (like any industry I guess). I've had to deal with my fair share of lazy rear end "pentesters" who run OpenVAS and scream bloody murder at ridiculous non-issues, like OMG YOU RUN APACHE 2.4.something THAT IS SO OLD". Yeah buddy I run CentOS ever heard of backporting? geez.

Qualys currently flags apache 2.4.x in our environment as an openssl vulnerability because the default header says 0.9.8. Even though 1.0.2k is installed on this particular box, and only that. So it hits http, sees the text of the header and screams OpenSSL!

gently caress you, scanner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

AlexDeGruven posted:

Qualys currently flags apache 2.4.x in our environment as an openssl vulnerability because the default header says 0.9.8. Even though 1.0.2k is installed on this particular box, and only that. So it hits http, sees the text of the header and screams OpenSSL!

gently caress you, scanner.

Do you run scans on your own? At a previous job I had to have a 3rd party come in once a year and give me the same report.

Thinking of budgeting so I can run these on my own just to keep other people out of my current place.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I wound up just putting all of our stuff behind nginx proxies just to get Nessus to stop flagging stuff that doesn't matter.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Moey posted:

Do you run scans on your own? At a previous job I had to have a 3rd party come in once a year and give me the same report.

Thinking of budgeting so I can run these on my own just to keep other people out of my current place.

We have an infosec group. This consists of 2 (maybe 3) people who have any idea what the gently caress they're doing and a few people who can only follow instructions exactly as written even when incorrect, and are incapable of independent critical thought.

The latter group run the scans and ask for responses to the results.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Another loving scam email came in. I mean seriously, two in 3 business days. I need to get something infosec related on my title at this rate.

If youre on o365: Take this with a grain of salt but /r/sysadmin is speculating that a tenant worm is doing this. From the sounds of it MS is spam rating their own servers lowly. Also tenants are only using the built in o365 spam filter service (no 3rd party cloud or box based spam filtering)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That matches what I've seen - really random organisations sending email and the MX on all of them is *.protection.outlook.com

Hopefully MS find a way to filter inbound messages regardless of whether another Office 365 tenant sent them, because they were pretty obvious junk messages - though obviously DKIM and SPF would all have been perfect.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

ticket posted:

Come on England !!

Copier Systems World Cup incentive !!

Any brand new Konica Develop Device purchased before the World Cup Final on 14th July will receive the first month of service ABSOULETY FREE.
NO hidden penalty’s
Forget VAR it’s all about GDPR
Give your old devices the RED card
Come on England !

loving blocked. :scotland:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My local council has put up a temporary LED traffic sign that reads "If you drive drunk you'll suffer a penalty" which is just about the worst tie-in I've ever seen.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So an email came in...

Project Manager: Hey , do you know if the vendor has made the requested changes and are they in production? See attached form

The form is a quote for work to be done. It says on the form that work will commence when payment is received. The copy of the form does not have anything listed for approvals or anything on our end.

The quote was also sent late Friday afternoon.

So project manager, I read the form for you. It appears we have to give the vendor money before they start working through our dev/preprod/prod process. No it can't be done by end of day. No I'm not paying for it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It must be that kind of week. So far we’ve had one follow-up ticket from someone who never sent in a ticket, one follow-up ticket requesting an update on a ticket we resolved last week, and one trying to hurry us to get something done when they never answered a question we had on it. And that’s all in the first half of the day.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So, today was my second to last day at my current job.

I suppose for all intents and purposes, I'm trading one helldesk for another, but here's the thing:

Currently I'm T2 for a software dev, and have been that way for 3/4 years I've worked here. No upward movement unless someone leaves or gets fired (extremely rare, at this point) unless you move into another department or get lucky enough to get put on another project. This is a 45m drive.

I'm going to another job where I'd be a T1, but make more money and be within walking distance of home. At this point, I feel like this will probably be the better position for me. It seems waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more disorganized comparatively, but being able to nullify the commute, force myself to walk more, and work in an even smaller team on a "sort of" military base as their helpdesk seems way more rewarding for me. They framed it something like (I don't remember the exact verbiage) "doing password resets for old guys trying to get into their account" or other general helpdesk stuff I've done for years at this point anyways.

It also seemed like I could eventually move into other roles, the benefits package looked like a slight step down, or a sidegrade.

As the days wind down, I am realizing that while I feel like this is kind of like leaving highschool or college (I'm 29) due to how long I've been here, it is kind of cathartic. My current company is in a stage where it doesn't seem like it fully knows what it wants to do with the consumer/business products it's had for a while, and it's clear it has its eyes on the midmarket business instead. I don't blame them. I just dealt with one of our resellers who thought it was OK to keep me an hour and a half past close because he wanted me to speed up his server restore. I get it, you're under the wire, but why rope me into this? You should have done testing to see if this would fit your needs in a crisis instead of shuffling the blame onto support. These are the kind of reasons I'd look at from a business standpoint and go "yeah, gently caress those guys who end up being a sunk cost because they run up the bill on labor, whereas these midmarket guys who actually know what they're doing rarely if ever have to contact support because they can self manage." No wonder they'd want to eye the midmarket consumer base.

I digress, I realize that this part won't change in going to another helpdesk. It's a little weird and scary to move to a new job. I'm sure I'll be fine, but yeah. Here's hoping the new job will be less facepalming than this current one.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'd always take similar pay at a walking distance location over an massively long trip.

You're saving tons in fuel and time. You're getting back over an hour a day that was just spent travelling, entirely worth.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
However good you think a walking commute is... It's so much better.

I don't know if I can ever go back.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

However good you think a walking commute is... It's so much better.

I don't know if I can ever go back.

Agreed. I work from home 3 days a week and now I feel like I have two Mondays and two Fridays, one where I start/stop working for the week, and one where I start/stop working in the office midweek.

It also costs me £100/day to commute.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jaded Burnout posted:

Agreed. I work from home 3 days a week and now I feel like I have two Mondays and two Fridays, one where I start/stop working for the week, and one where I start/stop working in the office midweek.

£100/day? What do you drive a Ford GT or Bugatti to work?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

£100/day? What do you drive a Ford GT or Bugatti to work?

Drive to work? This is London mate, car parking at the station, extortionate train fare, then tube fare, plus lunch costs.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I only go in once a week but I'm looking at either £140 train fare or ~£70 in fuel and parking. I've asked if I can expense any of that and have basically been told to go gently caress myself.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:cripes:

A month's fare with NSB (Norwegian railways) from my home (about 70km from Oslo) to Oslo is £265 including local mass transit within zone 1 (all subway lines, most bus lines).

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaethela posted:

I only go in once a week but I'm looking at either £140 train fare or ~£70 in fuel and parking. I've asked if I can expense any of that and have basically been told to go gently caress myself.

I work for my own company so I expense travel and food, but that only saves me about a quarter of the cost because it's my own money eventually.

Wibla posted:

:cripes:

A month's fare with NSB (Norwegian railways) from my home (about 70km from Oslo) to Oslo is £265 including local mass transit within zone 1 (all subway lines, most bus lines).

When I used to work there 5 days a week I would get the monthly ticket, which was about £800 all-in.

Edit: 2 or 3 days per week is in the "gently caress you" zone for fares:

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 10, 2018

Mammalian
Nov 9, 2011

Not just any Jesus Mammalian Jesus

Jaded Burnout posted:

Drive to work? This is London mate, car parking at the station, extortionate train fare, then tube fare, plus lunch costs.

To be fair it really isn't much cheaper outside of London either, driving to work is easier but trains and buses are much more expensive (£2.90 one way for bus fares average)

Less hectic commute, way more expensive. As a 20-something just moved out of London, it's time to do something I thought I'd never do... Get my driving license.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
https://twitter.com/TSAmedia_SariK/status/1016433783774633985

PC is making strange hissing sounds please advise and do the needful

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I actually posted that because I can't tell what's going on. Is that an external hard drive enclosure with the hard drive removed? Awfully small for a snake, isn't it?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They format them when they're small

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwTqC2T6q4E

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Renegret posted:

I actually posted that because I can't tell what's going on. Is that an external hard drive enclosure with the hard drive removed? Awfully small for a snake, isn't it?

I guess it's a baby. That's a yellow screwdriver on the left, right?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jaded Burnout posted:

Cripes, when I used to commute from the burbs to the Loop (Chicago), I’d pay approximately $50/wk. $1/day parking at the commuter lot and about $45 for a 10 ride pass. I worked enough from home at the time that a monthly pass was never the best deal cost-wise. Also, my gas cost was negligible since I lived 2 miles from the commuter lot.

Now, I work from home the majority of the time and when I do drive in, it’s about 15 miles (15-25 mins by expressway or 20-35 mins using surface streets depending on time of day)

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Holy poo poo. Back when I had a 100+ mile commute, my total monthly cost for public transportation was US$500. I didn't have to go in every day, so it was closer to $400 but still.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mammalian posted:

To be fair it really isn't much cheaper outside of London either, driving to work is easier but trains and buses are much more expensive (£2.90 one way for bus fares average)

Less hectic commute, way more expensive. As a 20-something just moved out of London, it's time to do something I thought I'd never do... Get my driving license.

The people who make policy about the cost of motoring all live and work inside London. They push public transport instead of cars.

The people who live outside London all get screwed.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

spog posted:

The people who make policy about the cost of motoring all live and work inside London. They push public transport instead of cars.

So they go " i want people driving cars to pay as much as i do riding the bus!"?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jaded Burnout posted:

I guess it's a baby. That's a yellow screwdriver on the left, right?

oh hey I totally missed the screwdrvier

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

wargames posted:

So they go " i want people driving cars to pay as much as i do riding the bus!"?

It's more they say 'People shouldn't be driving when there are lots of trains, the Underground, buses and taxis to take them around. Let's try and push them in that direction by making cars more expensive'

People outside London - who earn a lot less - look at the railway station 15 miles away, the bus stop 3 miles down the road that only has service 3 times a day, or the suicidal bike route and say 'guess I'll be driving then'

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Edinburgh public transport is great. £1.70 will get you anywhere. I got rid of my car 6 months after moving in because I used it so little I ran down the battery.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

bitterandtwisted posted:

Edinburgh public transport is great. £1.70 will get you anywhere. I got rid of my car 6 months after moving in because I used it so little I ran down the battery.

45 minutes from the airport isn't great..

Anyway yeah, the cities typically have good public transport at a reasonable rate, but if you leave the city the train companies have monopolies on certain routes and will charge you 98% of the difference between median wages between the two locations. Much like in the US, you need a car outside of cities.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

spog posted:

As somebody who lives in NYC and wishes we were as aggressive about saying "gently caress you" to cars in 90% of the city as London: Maybe you should take public transport then.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

As somebody who lives in NYC and wishes we were as aggressive about saying "gently caress you" to cars in 90% of the city as London: Maybe you should take public transport then.

I pay $146 a month for my NJ/NY commute, I can't complain about the cost. 45-60 minute bus ride then about 20-25 minutes for a mile walk.

Oh and yes, gently caress cars. Also gently caress people on bicycles that don't pay attention.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

bitterandtwisted posted:

Same. I've lived in Edinburgh for 15 years, never felt the need to have a car. £636 a year for unlimited bus travel, including to the airport and on regional buses into East Lothian and the Borders. It's one of the best public transport systems in the UK.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kalas posted:

I pay $146 a month for my NJ/NY commute, I can't complain about the cost. 45-60 minute bus ride then about 20-25 minutes for a mile walk.

Oh and yes, gently caress cars. Also gently caress people on bicycles that don't pay attention.

$121 for a monthly unlimited Metrocard for me, and a 35-40 minute Subway ride each way.

I work in the financial district and every now and then they close Broadway for something and it's an incredibly wonderful experience to not be crammed into sidewalks while people drive 60mph because they really need to get a block down to stop at the red light right loving now.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Kalas posted:

Also gently caress people on bicycles that don't pay attention.

we can all agree.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our CEO forwarded this cool spam to me.

quote:

As you were loving off in front of computer screen when you called on hard-core Web portal your device get virus as a result vulnerability the Web browser. This malware captures all the operations at your device and among other things it is informed about coockies of the sites that you browse. And the key benefit of the given malware is that it have a chance plug in front camera and remove all the contact information from your mail. At the same time I have username to your email and social networking sites. So I have video and photos where you jack off and buck-naked. In a case if you don’t want the photos to appear and to be delivered to all the guys your family members I offer you the next alternate solution. You should send to my Bitcoin number 191BhYJ8H3vcQScqgMu5jxmcAawd4xNvYv 400 U.S. dollars in BTC. On receipt of that money I will crush dirt on you and you will never again heard about this situation. Conversely in a case if I don’t receive that funds withi n 26 hours after you have opened the mail I going to deliver all that dirty black book on you to yours family and collaborates and as well across social media platforms to estimate of your behavior. P.S. My English is not very good as I am not native speaking but you have an opportunity to understand what I want to say. Can you be so kind and and make no answer to this mailing box I will never have an access to it again.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Now that i've got a car I really don't ever want to use public transport ever again.

Plus I get to drive down to Paris in a couple of months for a thing, which will be nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

dogstile posted:

Now that i've got a car I really don't ever want to use public transport ever again.

You're hardly the only person I've seen say stuff like this but it's hilarious to me, as someone who grew up where you had to drive everywhere, since now I can't even consider moving somewhere I'd have to own a car again.