Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
In my experience power transmitters did horrible things to my game. I also found it easier to just connect the geothermals though foundation plates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Great game for 20 bucks.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mason Dixon posted:

just think it could've been made a bit clearer in-game.

Tenzarin posted:

Great game for 20 bucks.

These two sentences sum up the game pretty well

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Joke’s on them, I would’ve paid 30

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

So, the game has started freezing and then crashing consistently on me, and I'm not sure why. I installed the QMods Manager and EasyCraft earlier today, to save myself a lot of time running back to the Cyclops while building a new base in the lost river by the egg tree. Game had mostly (with the exception of semi-frequent, brief periods where it would randomly not recognize any keyboard inputs and the occasional sudden teleporting out of the Cyclops into a no-water ocean) been running fine until then. I installed the mod, it seemed to work fine for a few minutes and then the freezing started. I removed the EasyCraft mod, got more crashes, then uninstalled QMods and still got crashes. Did a file verification through Steam which told me a few files weren't recognized and would be recovered, verified again and got the message they were fine, and still get crashes. If anything, they seem to be happening quicker now (if I leave the base, within seconds, otherwise maybe a minute or two). Also just tried clearing the game cache via some directions I found for troubleshooting Subnautica crashes, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Any advice on what else I can try to fix this (hopefully not involving losing my save progress)?

Mason Dixon fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 2, 2018

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Did you install and use the mods on an already ongoing save? That can often break in games and it’s best to install mods and start a new game.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Aaaargh I got my Cyclops lodged in the cavern entrance. time to build a new one and set the old one on fire.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Demiurge4 posted:

Did you install and use the mods on an already ongoing save? That can often break in games and it’s best to install mods and start a new game.

Yeah, I did. I can't even remember the last time I used a mod on a game (no real reason why other than just not feeling the need), so I didn't realize it would likely break my save... welp, that's unfortunate. Guess I'm starting over.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

That should not be the problem, I have added and removed mods without problems.
Do you get any errors or something we can work with?
Can you reproduce the crash? Is there anything in common with all the crashes?

steam forums posted:

Navigate to Steam/steamapps/common/Subnautica/SNApData/SavedGames and then most likely slot0000 if you have only one game going. In slotxxxx you want to empty out CellsCach and CompiledOctreesCache

Make sure you don't have any floating lockers floating in the water, they will disapear. Your base and anything in it will be fine, as will your vehicles.

Dunno-Lars fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 2, 2018

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I didn't see any errors displayed, but I'll see if I can find a log file entry after I'm back at my computer later today. My last save (done after the freezes/crashes started) is in the base. If I leave the base right after the save loads, then I get between 2-5 seconds of swimming done (not enough to reach the Cyclops parked nearby or the tree) before it freezes. If I stay in the base and walk around, craft, etc... it freezes after maybe a minute or so, when I'm just walking around. It's not a big base at all, one room with a few connectors, a moonpool and an observatory with two thermal plants. It's not an instant crash, either. The display freezes, and I can hear my character making sounds if I continue to move him around or jump for a while after, but after I alt-tab out to consult Google, it outright crashes a few seconds later. So, it's consistent in that it happens pretty quickly after loading, but I can't say any specific action is causing it.

I did try deleting CellsCache from the only slot000 directory yesterday to no effect. I did not do anything w/ CompiledOctreesCache, because I didn't see it in that directory and figured my game just didn't have it. I'll do a folder search later today to see if it's maybe somewhere else. One other thing is the game warns me on startup that my system doesn't pass their graphics check, but it's been playing fine for over a week like that without any crashes.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

What kind of system specs do you have? CPU, RAM, GPU?
Are you actually below specs, or is it just dumb?

Sounds like starting over might be an idea, now you know where everything is after all. My second run was much quicker then the first one.
Just knowing that you should gather scrap instead of single titanium deposits help a lot. And make a simple tube with a door on it, and a bunch of lockers inside for storage.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

It's an old laptop w/ i5 2.3 Ghz, 6 GB RAM and an AMD Radeon 6700M series, something I had to get cheap and quick when the system before it just died suddenly. I normally play most games on console, so it wasn't a big concern and it probably is below spec for the video portion (it said cpu and ram were fine). I also found the error logs, and they all say d3d11.dll caused a read access violation. So, do I need to try updating direct3d drivers, or is it just a matter of the system finally running out of resources to handle the game at this point? I was planning on waiting until this year's Black Friday to finally get a new laptop.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

After looking through the more descriptive error output file, it turns out that the Radeon isn't being used after all, it's using the integrated graphics (or at least it says it is). Which I really don't understand, because I have every setting that I can find (including in the app-specific list for the Subnautica exe) set to maximize performance (aka use the Radeon). I'll do some more searching on it.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mason Dixon posted:

After looking through the more descriptive error output file, it turns out that the Radeon isn't being used after all, it's using the integrated graphics (or at least it says it is). Which I really don't understand, because I have every setting that I can find (including in the app-specific list for the Subnautica exe) set to maximize performance (aka use the Radeon). I'll do some more searching on it.

You need to update your video drivers, but this will probably result in your computer being unable to utilize sleep mode without the video card crashing. I had the same problem with subnautica.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

WarpedNaba posted:

Aaaargh I got my Cyclops lodged in the cavern entrance. time to build a new one and set the old one on fire.

Sounds like a job for the propulsion cannon!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Sounds like a job for the propulsion cannon!

I'll try that. But failing that I'll just run the engine on overheat for a flat minute (After removing everything first, duh)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
When I beached my Sea Moth on the floating island the propulsion cannon didn't do poo poo. What did get it off the rocks was using the Seaglide to ram it repeatedly towards open water.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

WarpedNaba posted:

I'll try that. But failing that I'll just run the engine on overheat for a flat minute (After removing everything first, duh)

If you can't get it out, leave it as a testimony of your urge to fit big tubes into small holes.
It takes quite a while for it to break just using fires. Slicing it with a knife might work better. Or just leaving it, you can turn off the beacon on it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Burn baby burn. As an added bewilderment, I got more metal from it than the 3 plasteel bars I put in.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GotLag posted:

When I beached my Sea Moth on the floating island the propulsion cannon didn't do poo poo. What did get it off the rocks was using the Seaglide to ram it repeatedly towards open water.

While it would be much later, does the prawn propulsion cannon still work on seamoths?

I remember testing out "How much does it hurt to shoot a seamoth at a boneshark?" shortly before (after?) launch, and the answer was "The seamoth will break before the boneshark 90% of the time".

Won't help much if they clip through the ground though. Unless they actually fixed that in the meantime finally.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
Oh man, the exploring in this game is so satisfying, and I love how the story is revealed over time.

But now there's huge electric eels and aggressive sharks and loving weird psychic vampires (that somehow forced me out of my seamoth???) and terrifying bacteriophages with faces and legs and hypnotic fish (these are cool as gently caress) and some giant white ghost thing in the NW dead zone and all I want is a loving gun so I can see what's in the 500m Degasi base and not be so scared. I haven't even gone near the SE side of the Aurora because I've heard that a thing hangs out there.

"Detecting multiple leviathan class lifeforms in the region. Are you certain whatever you're doing is worth it?"
Why no, Subnautica. No I am not.

So far I've been content with the seamoth (rip seamoth 1, lost to crushing when a boneshark pushed it under 300m while it was unattended). Maybe I will build the prawn suit or the cyclops. Maybe they will make me feel safe.

Fantastic loving game.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Gun nothing, you need speed.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Gun nothing, you need speed.

You need the Stasis gun, you can knife EVERYTHING to death. The big serpents require a few minutes of knifing to kill them, usually not worth it.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

redleader posted:

Oh man, the exploring in this game is so satisfying, and I love how the story is revealed over time.

But now there's huge electric eels and aggressive sharks and loving weird psychic vampires (that somehow forced me out of my seamoth???) and terrifying bacteriophages with faces and legs and hypnotic fish (these are cool as gently caress) and some giant white ghost thing in the NW dead zone and all I want is a loving gun so I can see what's in the 500m Degasi base and not be so scared. I haven't even gone near the SE side of the Aurora because I've heard that a thing hangs out there.

"Detecting multiple leviathan class lifeforms in the region. Are you certain whatever you're doing is worth it?"
Why no, Subnautica. No I am not.

So far I've been content with the seamoth (rip seamoth 1, lost to crushing when a boneshark pushed it under 300m while it was unattended). Maybe I will build the prawn suit or the cyclops. Maybe they will make me feel safe.

Fantastic loving game.

The Prawn suit does a wonderful job of making you feel actually powerful and safe. It's a little clunky to move in until you get the hang of it (and preferably make a grappling hook arm) but when it clicks you feel like a Terminator from WH40K.

I actually accidentally set up one of my bases in a Sea Satan's territory and after a little difference in opinions, we came to an arrangement: he doesn't hassle me, and in exchange he doesn't get repeatedly punched in the goddamned face.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Prawn suit is 100% boss.

You'll eventually go out hunting the very things that caused you to warm the waters.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Absoutely true.

My best prawn suit/reaper leviathan experience was just getting the thing, showcasing the game to a friend on steamstream, and letting them boss me around a bit/decide what we should hunt for next. I'd just got back from a long deep diving clomping trip because i didn't have the depth module at that time (the mod station sucked to get that time around).

Que me arriving at the same old safe shallows to not one but two reapers fighting each other I swore they were having a (rather destructive) mating dance or something. Then i had a paniced realization that my base is that way, and holy crap they're gonna wreck it.

And about moment later I had a second realization that my jetsuit harness happened to have big metal punchy fists on it, AND the safe shallows was the best place to use the jump jets. That awakening of realizing you can do something about those pesky jerks is one of the best moments of subnautica.

And by gosh, I punched the heck out of them. Midfight repairs are pretty harrowing against reapers, but in the end the safe shallows were made safe once more.

Chasing down the second one took a while, but it was worth it. The blood moon was both apt, and super pretty. I really regret not taking more photos.

and promptly forgot to scan both of them in my elation of victory, they despawned. Crap

The neatest thing was learning how PDA screenshots and picture frames worked. I made a trophy mount for the cyclops.

Tldr; stay calm and prawn.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Replace one of the prawn's fists with a grappling hook, then you can reel in enemies and punch them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Or rodeo leviathans.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I didn't have one at the time. That was another depth/wreck limited item I couldn't find until later. Getting a mod station finally fixed most of my problems and the rest of the missing fragments fell into place.

My current serious business suit is a grapple arm and some spares in inventory. Usually taking 3-4 jet upgrades depending on depth; heading into dangerous waters is what Project Fishhattan is for: a trunk full of crashfish. and with the propulsion cannon, animal cruelty rpg

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
Thanks all! It's nice to know the game gives you tools to fight back.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You do have tools but avoidance is far preferable in most cases. Especially in the case of crabsquids and warpers.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Leviathans are a lot scarier until you realize you can almost always just zip right past them with minimal impact. Unless you're specifically trying to get right in their face they don't patrol a big enough area to follow you.

For everything else, either stasis + knife to death, or just punt them into the next zip code with a repulsion cannon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
reapers don't punt, and they come right back for you.

just get a mod that makes the drill or fist do actual decent damage and punch/drill them to death while you rodeo them

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

redleader posted:

Thanks all! It's nice to know the game gives you tools to fight back.

To clarify, you don't really get weapons per say - discounting the basic survival/thermal knife and the torpedo launcher modules for the Seamoth and PRAWN suit - but you do get a number of tools you can use to distract and dissuade most critters from interfering with you.

One thing you need to realize that most creatures' AI isn't actually aggressive in the same way enemies in most survival games are. Minecraft zombies and spiders will just beeline for you and kill you or die trying; in SUbnautica, most hostile creatures you see are hungry, curious, or would just like it if you stayed off their goddamned lawn.

One of the predators you'll run into, for example, seriously likes shiny things. If you run into one it'll scream and chase you a bit to get you away from its lair, but will otherwise more or less be content to leave you at peace - as long as you aren't holding anything shiny and metallic. I had a procession of five of the drat things follow me around the safe shallows until I realized I had my knife out and they were hoping I'd drop the Shiny Thing. Little fuckers also keep stealing my remote camera drones if given half the chance. On the other hand, they'll also happily collect chunks of the Aurora wreckage to pad out its nest site, so if you follow one home you can easily get a bunch of titanium.

Some creatures hunt based on light and will react to things like emergency flares of your flashlight or ship lights. Others are territorial and chase away intruders from their chosen home, some are just plain curious and want to see what the funny-looking alien's up to. I'm fairly convinced that Reapers actually hate noisy things - they don't seem too interested in going after the Seaglide or if you're just swimming in the vicinity - as long as you're not too close - but they'll absolutely wreck your Seamoth if given a chance, or charge Cyclopses that're running their engines too hot.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If you just keep moving you can essentially ignore everything in the game.

I've seen a few people in places say "I need to get stronger before I go to [such and such a place]" and wtf even is getting stronger in this game. There are no levelups or buffs and there's like one weapon with one marginal upgrade and one armour. There's no getting stronger, there's just not being a coward.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
depth limits?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

TheParadigm posted:

I didn't have one at the time. That was another depth/wreck limited item I couldn't find until later. Getting a mod station finally fixed most of my problems and the rest of the missing fragments fell into place.

My current serious business suit is a grapple arm and some spares in inventory. Usually taking 3-4 jet upgrades depending on depth; heading into dangerous waters is what Project Fishhattan is for: a trunk full of crashfish. and with the propulsion cannon, animal cruelty rpg

Jet upgrades don't stack according to the wiki.

If you use the stasis rifle on a reaper, then repulsion cannon it into the ground and build a base part clipping it, it will launch into orbit, never to be seen again. Someone posted a video of it, it's hilarious.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

I've seen a few people in places say "I need to get stronger before I go to [such and such a place]" and wtf even is getting stronger in this game. There are no levelups or buffs and there's like one weapon with one marginal upgrade and one armour. There's no getting stronger, there's just not being a coward.

Come on man. Besides the aforementioned depth limits, you’ve got different kinds of batteries, four different vehicles of differing strengths, modifications that make traversal or evasion easier, bigger and better oxygen tanks. There’s a definite tech tree, and it’s perfectly okay if you want to explore safer, more familiar waters to gather more materials before delving into the unknown without a spare beacon, a first aid kit and a supply of food and water in your Seamoth’s storage unit

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I actually just got lost in the base building - chose a spot in the Sparse Reef. So dark. So pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

Depth limits on your vehicles and O2 capacity on your personal tanks make a pretty convincing 'yeah, just don't even try it yet buddy' barrier. The jellyshroom cave for example would be completely fine to explore and navigate right out of the box, but is just deep enough that you can't navigate it with a stock seamoth - the highest spots on the ceiling are at about 200m - and 90 seconds of tank air don't exactly give you much room to explore. Less if you haven't fixed the Aurora yet and half the cavern entries are radioactive zones, forcing you to use the lead mask instead of a rebreather.