Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
So I started playing this game just as the Summer fest kicked off, and I was hoping to get an idea from you guys as to who/where to be focusing on and maybe an evaluation of the equipment I rolled from the events. For reference, I'm in the middle of Book of Trial 5, I'm somewhere in the 60-80 difficultly range, but I bet I could shoot up if I invested some resources, but I'm not sure who to invest in to be in my main team.

I've sorta forgotten what I've gotten from what pull and I don't know how to determine if its a 1 or 2 or whatever so I'm just gonna list all my 5 and 6 star relics by name.

Curilla - Gluttony Sword (Ultra)
Seifer - Almasy Flametongue (Ultra)
Noel - Blazing Spirit (Ultra)
Beatrix - Apocalypse (Ultra)
Raijin - Rajin's Staff (Burst)
Luneth - Dragon Lance (Overstrike)
Sabin - Avenger (Ultra)
Sabin - Godhand (Burst)
Aerith - Umbrella (Ultra)
Fujin = Fujin's Moon Ring (Overstrike)
Fujin - Fujin's Jacket (Super)
Tyro - Divine Veil Grimoire (Ultra)
Tyro - Sentinel's Grimoire (Unique)
Palom - Triton's Dagger (Super)
Zidane - Sargatanas (Burst)
Zidane - Ninja Gear (LMR)
Sephiroth - One-Winged Angel (Unique)
Kain - Gungnir (Unique)
Fang - Rhomphaia (Burst)
Yda - Kaiser Knuckles (Burst)
Kiros - Katal (Burst)
Vanille - Mistileinn (Burst)
Emperor - Meister Rod (Burst)
Emperor - Imperial Shell (LMR)
Ysayle - Halonic Exorcist's Rod (LMR)
Y'shdola - Thyrus (Unique)
Braska - High Summoner's Longstaff (Burst)
Amarant - Rising Sun (Super)
Larsa - Carmagnole (Ultra)
Larsa - Princely Raiment (Burst)
Tifa - Tifa's Gloves (Ultra)
Cloud - Cloud's Gloves (Ultra)
Agrias - Kaiser Shield (Unique)
Zeid - Scutum (Super)
Meia - Cat-ear Cap (Super)
Aphmau - Aristocrat's Crown (Burst)
Gabranth - Gabranth's Helm (Super)
Xezat - Xezat's Helm (Burst)
Rufus - Rufus's Jacket (LMR)
Rinoa - Rinoa's Guise (Super)
Snow - AMP Coat (Burst)
Yuna - Summoner's Garb (Burst)
Kelger - Kelger's Cloak (LMR)
Elarra - Elarra's Guise (Burst)
Ricard - Ricard's Cuirass (Super)
Arc - White Mage Robe (Super)
Aranea - Aranea's Gauntlet (LMR)

Maybe a team of like Tyro, Sabin, Emperor, Larsa,Fujin? I dunno.

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
You can sorta dismiss your notions of a "main" party because you easily have more than 5 viable characters with all those relics and some content will require adaptation. And as certain soul breaks wax and wane previous A listers will go away and new ones rise(I used to use Yshtola as my main white mage until i got Eikos burst and ultra, then i dropped her like a bad habit)
1 healer, 1 support and 3 damage will carry you through all but the strongest content.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

ImPureAwesome posted:

So I started playing this game just as the Summer fest kicked off, and I was hoping to get an idea from you guys as to who/where to be focusing on and maybe an evaluation of the equipment I rolled from the events. For reference, I'm in the middle of Book of Trial 5, I'm somewhere in the 60-80 difficultly range, but I bet I could shoot up if I invested some resources, but I'm not sure who to invest in to be in my main team.

I've sorta forgotten what I've gotten from what pull and I don't know how to determine if its a 1 or 2 or whatever so I'm just gonna list all my 5 and 6 star relics by name.

Curilla - Gluttony Sword (Ultra):siren:An excellent perennial tool. Great, stackable buff, good Ability set, Radiant Shield 100% will fix a lot of problems. A+ USB!
Seifer - Almasy Flametongue (Ultra) Seifer is just a Chain haver in this day and age. This is not a great Ultra, but can function for Dark usage when you need a dark team. Find better dark, but a good stopgap in the meantime.
Noel - Blazing Spirit (Ultra) Not great, but versatile on a versatile character. Useable if you need Noel as a support.
Beatrix - Apocalypse (Ultra) :siren: :catstare: This is one of the best Holy SBs, bar none. S-tier. Dive Beatrix immediately and hone up GB/DC or rear end saber.
Raijin - Rajin's Staff (Burst) meh
Luneth - Dragon Lance (Overstrike) Good most notably because it's a +Wind 6* spear. The OSB itself is fine. Get Luneth an EnWind source and go nuts.
Sabin - Avenger (Ultra) :siren: Exceptional Fire DPS. Top tier. Dive Sabin immediately.
Sabin - Godhand (Burst) It's fine, but you don't need it. Just use his USB. Since you're a newbie, you can leverage this until you hone up Fires Within to R3 at which point you won't need this anymore. A good stopgap in the meantime. BTW hone up Fires Within ASAP.
Aerith - Umbrella (Ultra) Her first ultra isn't great. It's an instant healer USB though, so it's still one of your best healing sources.
Fujin = Fujin's Moon Ring (Overstrike) OSBs are only okay at best. Fujin is a great wind-mage though so this will have use.
Fujin - Fujin's Jacket (Super) Your EnWind for Fujin. Excellent in context.
Tyro - Divine Veil Grimoire (Ultra) :siren: Fantastic.
Tyro - Sentinel's Grimoire (Unique) Obsolete by the above.
Palom - Triton's Dagger (Super) poo poo
Zidane - Sargatanas (Burst) Okay for wind DPS, but get better.
Zidane - Ninja Gear (LMR) Really great LMR. Start looking for more Zidane stuff. His banner is coming in a couple weeks.
Sephiroth - One-Winged Angel (Unique) garbage
Kain - Gungnir (Unique) garbage
Fang - Rhomphaia (Burst) corner case use at best
Yda - Kaiser Knuckles (Burst) not as good as you want it to be
Kiros - Katal (Burst) kiros sucks but this is actually good and the second buff on your list. Useful, but you'll want better
Vanille - Mistileinn (Burst) Excellent burst. You'll be using both Aeris USB and this for a long time.

jesus dude you got so much poo poo, and lots of excellent poo poo. let's keep going

Emperor - Meister Rod (Burst) Earth mage with bargain command. Good. You'll use it later.
Emperor - Imperial Shell (LMR)not bad, useful enough
Ysayle - Halonic Exorcist's Rod (LMR) not bad, useless by itself
Y'shdola - Thyrus (Unique) good but useless for you
Braska - High Summoner's Longstaff (Burst) meh
Amarant - Rising Sun (Super) no
Larsa - Carmagnole (Ultra) :siren: Amazing. You have his BSB too which is great. Larsa is now your best healer, congrats. Use him 90% of the time. Grats!
Larsa - Princely Raiment (Burst)

Tifa - Tifa's Gloves (Ultra) :siren: S-tier. Amazing. Everyone was chasing it this banner and you got it. Use her in the future.
Cloud - Cloud's Gloves (Ultra) :siren: S-tier again, well done. Top tier Wind
Agrias - Kaiser Shield (Unique) not bad actually. The SB is OK and the armor is good. Don't use her though.
Zeid - Scutum (Super) *fart*
Meia - Cat-ear Cap (Super) nope
Aphmau - Aristocrat's Crown (Burst) Good enough, but you have a better healer. Remember this when you need it though
Gabranth - Gabranth's Helm (Super)*shart*
Xezat - Xezat's Helm (Burst) no
Rufus - Rufus's Jacket (LMR) useless alone
Rinoa - Rinoa's Guise (Super) good for reasons you won't need to worry about for a long time
Snow - AMP Coat (Burst) Last stand is good and this is your only source. Remember this exists
Yuna - Summoner's Garb (Burst) meh
Kelger - Kelger's Cloak (LMR) useless alone
Elarra - Elarra's Guise (Burst) oh you have a healer BSB with last stand. Ignore Snow and remember this exists.
Ricard - Ricard's Cuirass (Super) no
Arc - White Mage Robe (Super) Guess what? This actually kicks rear end. Larsa USB will probably be better most of the time, but an instant medica with pBlink is fantastic. Remember this.
Aranea - Aranea's Gauntlet (LMR) useless alone

Maybe a team of like Tyro, Sabin, Emperor, Larsa,Fujin? I dunno.

You did a good job intuiting your party -- Sabin is going to be your top DPS from now until endgame. Tyro is always amazing. Larsa is definitely going to be your healer. For the other two spots, I'd recommend:

Sabin
Larsa
Tyro
Curilla
Raijin or Kiros

"Why Raijin or Kiros?" the vets are surely asking: because by leveraging BSBs, you won't have to worry about hones at all really until you need to make 5* abilities. Leverage those CMDs. Give your DPS Lifesiphons and maybe a token ability or two, and work on getting your BSBs up and running immediately.

You may also want to get something like Ramza's Shout, or, if available, Minfilia/Gladio SSB instead of shout (since you have Haste coming from Tyro). If you went this route you'd have an A-team with native Last Stand which is very powerful.

In the meantime, leverage Sabin's BSB and make break/downs for Tyro. Give Curilla some Knight abilities. Work towards making the 5* skill associated with your top DPS (rear end saber for Beatrix, the new Wind spellblade for Cloud, Gaia Rush for Tifa).

You have an exceptionally loaded out account and can easily do endgame content with it. Congrats!

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 4, 2018

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

ceaselessfuture posted:

Sabin
Larsa
Tyro
Curilla
Raijin or Kiros

"Why Raijin or Kiros?" the vets are surely asking: because by leveraging BSBs, you won't have to worry about hones at all really until you need to make 5* abilities. Leverage those CMDs. Give your DPS Lifesiphons and maybe a token ability or two, and work on getting your BSBs up and running immediately.

In the meantime, leverage Sabin's BSB and make break/downs for Tyro. Give Curilla some Knight abilities. Work towards making the 5* skill associated with your top DPS (rear end saber for Beatrix, the new Wind spellblade for Cloud, Gaia Rush for Tifa).

I agree with the SB assessment, and your long-term priorities, but I think this advice might be frustrating as a first-week player because 5* abilities are hard to hone. Sabin's only source of chase comes from Fires Within, Tifa's usb gives Monk Double (which uses abilities twice as fast), Beatrix's chase depends on hones. Here's my *short-term* advice.

If you haven't already, get Dr. Mog's Teachings and Mako Might. One goes on Tyro forever. You also want Ramza's Battleforged. These should be your immediate priority in using Crystal II Lodes, you'll get more. I would grab Shout from Book 5, the Last Stand idea is neat though.
Your current 5* orb stash is more useful for you when mostly broken down into 4* orbs. They're a renewable resource and you want power now. Get two Lifesiphons to rank 3 and Wrath to rank 4.
Stick Wrath and Battleforged on Larsa. You now have an instant full heal every three turns. Enjoy.
Get Aerora Strike to R5 (it's cheap) and put it on Cloud. He Lifesiphons up to his USB and spams Aerora Strike and you win.
Get Banishing Strike to at least R4 (cheap and useful) and put it on Beatrix. She Lifesiphons up to her USB and spams Banishing Strike and you win.
You also want someone carrying Full Break. Unlike most 5*s, it's excellent at R1. Tyro can do it, or Ramza.

You really do have an amazing loadout. Enjoy the journey.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If you literally just started like half of the content in this game can be chumped with OSBs

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Relm BSB/USB, Y'shtola BSB is about the long and short of it. Garnet's two BSBs have some minor healing commands, I suppose. And her BSB2's buff is what I use to stack with Vivi's BSB2 buff, as said above.

In the long run you're going to want to use Relm instead of Yshtola with Knight's Charge RM. Also bring an entrust bot and basically just spam her USB for the party-wide instant cast. Yshtola was my primary healer for like a year and a half until I realized she just couldn't keep up with magicite damage without having an instant party-wide heal. Relm also brings that last stand on her bsb which will be nice as a just in case.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

saltylopez posted:

In the long run you're going to want to use Relm instead of Yshtola with Knight's Charge RM. Also bring an entrust bot and basically just spam her USB for the party-wide instant cast. Yshtola was my primary healer for like a year and a half until I realized she just couldn't keep up with magicite damage without having an instant party-wide heal. Relm also brings that last stand on her bsb which will be nice as a just in case.

What's the best practice when entrusting like this? As soon as you get to two bars, or just whenever I need that instant heal? I only have 4 uses on Entrust right now, but 10 Wraths.
Will that be enough healing that I can dump Garnet for Raines? I just snagged his BSB today off AA8.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

What's the best practice when entrusting like this? As soon as you get to two bars, or just whenever I need that instant heal? I only have 4 uses on Entrust right now, but 10 Wraths.
Will that be enough healing that I can dump Garnet for Raines? I just snagged his BSB today off AA8.

I think i have my Entrust at 4 hones and I haven't reached a point where I've absolutely needed the 5th hone. I have used all 8 casts in some of the 4 star magicite fights though so it is something you will want to hone when you get a chance.

Basically though you run the entrust bot with Battleforged or Ace striker RM. Use a wrath turn one, then entrust turn two. If you have something like Shelke or Morrow dived (which gives them haste and 3 turns of instant cast) then you can wrath>wrath>entrust>wrath>entrust>wrath>entrust>etc. and the first entrust will go out usually before the magicite's 2nd turn. Battleforged or Ace Striker will give just over one SB bar for each wrath; the damage being done by the magicite and the abilities cast by the healer are usually (not always though) enough to make up for the other half of the soul break.

Usually the first entrust will go to my healer, the second to a dps who needs more soul juice, and the third back to the healer again. After that it's gonna depend on the magicite, but the healer usually gets at least every other entrust. Since the healer is Relm though, you're at least still increasing the overall dps of your party (and those entrusts will go out pretty quickly too when you're using instant casts).

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

rabidsquid posted:

i've just started doing magicite recently as well and one thing i've noticed about it is that a few things make an enormous difference. i've always considered my water my best element but my water team of literally just edge and tidus did living flame in 26 seconds with zero magicites equipped, and then with the help of a magicite on sea lion and with three dps its a bit of a struggle to break 30 seconds.

i cant put a dent in golem and fenrir, and it took me something like 41 seconds to do bismarck and hydra. i knew my wind and earth were kind of shabby but i thought my lightning was Pretty Good. and in other content i think my various elements are relatively on par. you know what the difference is my two sub 30 clears and my 40+ or cant clear at all is? vivi can triple cast with his USB and legend dive. none of my lightning team has w-cast of any kind (technically vivi can do this as well but no en-element for lightning) none of my wind team has double cast other than vivi but i dont have the hones on tornado and meltdown to deal with his w-ability eating up charges. and the reason i absolutely crush living flame with just two dps when all the others require three? edge can en-water and double cast and has a chase. edge can add 17 hits to a chain and honestly i would say he probably did 80% of the damage even with tidus chain.

i know people have done 3* magicites without chains at all but from my personal experience doing them en-element and chain building vastly outweigh whatever else you can be doing. as for boosts it helps to not have a mixed damage team. i had one for hydra and i felt like i was barely plinking it. i should probably be able to sub 30 all of the magicites with what i have but that probably requires more dives. but yeah, chain+en-element and double cast absolutely whips the rear end of these things. edit: i had a chain for all of the magicite i've beaten so i want to emphasize that edge in particular is what helps me blast living flame so hard. i wonder if just slapping the earth ninja skills on him would help with my earth team and take away the mixed damage or if the lack of en-element will hurt it too much.

Chains are why I can sub 20s Mist Dragon, thanks to Seymour, and why I can probably clear Siren pretty quickly with a physical based dark team. Of course, I'd have to get over that huge hurdle known as Tiamat before I can access her. gently caress.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Attestant posted:

Getting hit for 8k before Godwall sounds like you are applying the wall too slow. Mitigation should definitely be going up as your very first action, and at game speed 1 that should be enough to only get hit by some weaker early attacks. You are using one of the free Soul Break record materias on Tyro, right?
Yeah, still got blasted by Thundara or something before it could go off though. I've got Celes levelled, will Runic help with that?
No, you should figure out why Tyro's not getting the cast off in time. "I can't get my SB off in time" won't be solved by "bring a different SB" unless the other character has a way to instant cast.

The fight is designed to give you enough time to cast it. There is no RNG to your starting ATB bars, and the boss is programmed to always tap you on the first turn, use a weaker attack on the second turn, and open up with the rest of its attacks on its third turn.

• Are you playing on speed 1? If not, play on speed 1. The bosses have instant reaction time. You do not.
  • Do you know what you're doing on turn 1 with each character? If you are trying to decide what to do on the fly, you'll have issues.
  • Sealion can cast single-target blizzard on Turn 2. Are you bringing ice resist accessories? If not, bring them. If you can't bring it on everyone, you'll have to either RNG it or have someone cast shellga on turn 1.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 4, 2018

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I'm guessing the +MAG bard song fails to stack with everything else? I know Faith doesn't. She could have Ifrit but it's honestly unimpressive, and I haven't honed Valigarmanda at all yet.

Does the "Magic Bargain" effect from Terra and Vivi's BSB2 command 2s stack with everything else?
1) Wrong! The bard faithga has its own buff ID and will stack with everything. If you're struggling to find something useful for Garnet, this is one of the best things she can do.
2) the magic bargain commands will also stack. I usually don't bother with them if I have two or more other sources of faithga, but YMM.

I wasn't real jazzed about Ashe's AOSB, but, uh, it is REAL good.

My previous best time was 50 seconds. The LMR is really the key to Ashe being able to coast on a well honed Thundaga and one AOSB cast. Shelke can then just dump SB charge into Relm for instacast shenanigans and it is the easiest 4* magicite for me now. :allears:

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
ASBs are incredibly underappreciated. I'd assume their stock will increase greatly once people get to use them. The downside of ASBs is that an en-element is basically required or it's just an OSB that costs more bar.

Someone asked what the next good place to pick up holy relics was. The FF1 WoL banner is great if it's still up. If not unfortunately it's probably the upcoming FFT banner with Ramza USB2 and Agrias USB2. Or Marche USB and TGC OSB at banner 2. All the event banners that we know of are not good for holy and the next fest is the same. The events after the fest are the same with nothing for holy until the Edward magic chain fest banner as a Christmas present.

The well has literally run dry for holy.

We'll probably get some random holy pickup which should be better but who knows when we'll get it and if it's filled with Basch and Pecil garbo again.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

As someone with like eight fuckin' 6* holy swords, I am legitimately glad that they are going to be out of the relic pool for a while.

So many awful memories of that several-month stretch where Tactics was on every single lucky banner and every pull I did was a 1 or 2/11 with only holy-based Tactics stuff.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

hey girl you up posted:

No, you should figure out why Tyro's not getting the cast off in time. "I can't get my SB off in time" won't be solved by "bring a different SB" unless the other character has a way to instant cast.

The fight is designed to give you enough time to cast it. There is no RNG to your starting ATB bars, and the boss is programmed to always tap you on the first turn, use a weaker attack on the second turn, and open up with the rest of its attacks on its third turn.

• Are you playing on speed 1? If not, play on speed 1. The bosses have instant reaction time. You do not.
  • Do you know what you're doing on turn 1 with each character? If you are trying to decide what to do on the fly, you'll have issues.
  • Sealion can cast single-target blizzard on Turn 2. Are you bringing ice resist accessories? If not, bring them. If you can't bring it on everyone, you'll have to either RNG it or have someone cast shellga on turn 1.

Ah, to clarify, the 8k damage was from Bismarck's spells, not Sealion. I tried him first, then moved on. Yeah, I'm always on Speed 1 for anything above 160. Maybe I'm just misremembering something. I'll get back to him eventually I suppose.

I actually beat Sealion twice today. First time just over a minute because Vivi got killed about two thirds of the way through, second time he didn't and I finished at 52 seconds. Turns out fire element burst commands hitting a weakness last exactly long enough to fill up two bars again by the time burst mode wears off, who'da thought.

So now do I farm this til its magicite drops are Lv99, or what?

Zonko_T.M. posted:

1) Wrong! The bard faithga has its own buff ID and will stack with everything. If you're struggling to find something useful for Garnet, this is one of the best things she can do.
2) the magic bargain commands will also stack. I usually don't bother with them if I have two or more other sources of faithga, but YMM.

Well I'll be damned.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ramza’s usb seems op, chase & quick cicle, most usbs get only one. Shame about the rest of the banner and Ramza hinself already having a lot to do...

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I somehow still have zero (0) Ramza relics so if it's actually good I might consider a pull there

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

We'll probably get some random holy pickup which should be better but who knows when we'll get it and if it's filled with Basch and Pecil garbo again.

This is offensive. May you be cursed with only Materia 5* and Overstrike 6* rainbow orbs on all your relic draws.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Ah, to clarify, the 8k damage was from Bismarck's spells, not Sealion. I tried him first, then moved on. Yeah, I'm always on Speed 1 for anything above 160. Maybe I'm just misremembering something. I'll get back to him eventually I suppose.

Bismark's gimmick, aside from multielement spells when most magicites go all-in on one, is that it doesn't ramp up like the others. Most of the others rely on a move that imperils your party to their element as a "soft enrage" from 30 seconds on. On the one hand, this means that if you can survive the start of Bismark you can keep surviving. On the other hand, this means that there's no grace period to get things together.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

As someone who "lucked" into Basch's and Warrior of Light's nearly identical garbage USBs during this fest I'm wary about random holy pickup banners.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Ramza’s usb seems op, chase & quick cicle, most usbs get only one. Shame about the rest of the banner and Ramza hinself already having a lot to do...

I'd be curious to hear how good it actually is. I've never seen it for RW and I know both the thread and I believe reddit too threw a minor fit over it being an offensive USB instead of Support, which kind of drowned any discussion of its merits.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

KPC_Mammon posted:

As someone who "lucked" into Basch's and Warrior of Light's nearly identical garbage USBs during this fest I'm wary about random holy pickup banners.

I'm getting good use of Basch at this point still, he's not "bad" bad like say Gau, it's just really missing that cherry on top (chase, dual cast...) that would push him past 50k dps.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Thanks a ton, this helps a bunch!

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Avalerion posted:

I'm getting good use of Basch at this point still, he's not "bad" bad like say Gau, it's just really missing that cherry on top (chase, dual cast...) that would push him past 50k dps.

gau has one hell of an USB coming up, incidentally

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Avalerion posted:

I'm not sure how it is much better than an enElement BSB, which seems pretty drat bad for a USB.

You are trading +20% to all stats for +100% defense and up to 30% increased damage. Assuming you hit the softcap on attack the BSB still gives ~+10% damage and +20% speed.

That cherry on top is what makes most USBs worth using.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Prav posted:

I'm excited for the advent of Gau Orlandeau

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Prav posted:

Unfortunately that shares a banner with Gogo VI stuff, and Gogo is probably the worst non Core character in the game, with the worst 5* piece of equipment in his LMR.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm not sure how it is much better than an enElement BSB, which seems pretty drat bad for a USB.

You are trading +20% to all stats for +100% defense and up to 30% increased damage. Assuming you hit the softcap on attack the BSB still gives ~+10% damage and +20% speed.

That cherry on top is what makes most USBs worth using.

What speed and all stats are you talking about, did I miss something about bsb's until now?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

As others pointed out, hardcasting Godwall is probably what's getting you killed. Without his LMR it takes Tyro about 4.26s to get it up, more if you've got other characters going before him. One way to get around this is to put your highest speed character in the top slot and Tyro in the one below it, and then set turn order to party order in the config menu. That will make it so that after the first character goes, if Tyro's ATB is full then he'll go next.

Another option is to just not bring Godwall. It's nice, but taking that long to get it up is a huge drawback. Also since you haven't beaten all the magicites yet obviously, your only option for RW is normal wall, which would be completely redundant. If you bring two healers with protectga, shellga, and hastega, you'll get the exact same effect as Godwall while also having some mitigation up a lot sooner. Bringing two healers isn't a bad idea if you're just trying to clear.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Avalerion posted:

What speed and all stats are you talking about, did I miss something about bsb's until now?

All bsbs give +20% to most stats and haste. This means enElement bsbs are slightly better than they might look on paper.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 4, 2018

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Avalerion posted:

"Burst Mode", which every burst does, raises ATK/MAG/DEF/RES/MND by 20%, and SPD by 10%. (All stats but ACC and EVA.)

All bursts also come with a self-Haste, which is sometimes forgettable when you have a Hastega but it's nice to Dispel slow every once in a while.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

pichupal posted:

"Burst Mode", which every burst does, raises ATK/MAG/DEF/RES/MND by 20%, and SPD by 10%. (All stats but ACC and EVA.)

All bursts also come with a self-Haste, which is sometimes forgettable when you have a Hastega but it's nice to Dispel slow every once in a while.

I thought it was 20% for SPD as well. Thanks for the correction! I'll try to stop giving bad information.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Good to know, I assumed "burst mode" is just the commands. :downs:

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
It was never very obvious - although you might have noticed more damage with mages because of the higher MAG cap making the stat buff more useful.

It was only really important if you invested in Tiamat with Alphinaud or one of the stat threshold bursts like Maria, Papalymo, Edea or Sephiroth 2.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I thought it was 20% for SPD as well. Thanks for the correction! I'll try to stop giving bad information.

I almost forgot to mention the SPD thing at all :v:. It's easy to forget honestly, but I knew the burst mode details pretty well just because Maria BSB was one of my first mage bursts back when I had very few mage buffs. I used to use Vivi's Devotion RM a lot to reach 6-hit comfortably.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ugh I need more keystones gotta beat up more magicites c'mon.

Can pretty consistently get Flame down in 36 seconds. Need another really good water person. Tidus wrecks face but Bartz just isn't quite specialised enough. His multicasts are good at least

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

pichupal posted:

It was never very obvious - although you might have noticed more damage with mages because of the higher MAG cap making the stat buff more useful.

It was only really important if you invested in Tiamat with Alphinaud or one of the stat threshold bursts like Maria, Papalymo, Edea or Sephiroth 2.

I almost forgot to mention the SPD thing at all :v:. It's easy to forget honestly, but I knew the burst mode details pretty well just because Maria BSB was one of my first mage bursts back when I had very few mage buffs. I used to use Vivi's Devotion RM a lot to reach 6-hit comfortably.

It used to be a lot harder to cap MAG, which meant it was nearly a 40% increase in dps.

The real reason it was easy to forget is because 5* abilities weren't very good so all your dps came from spamming bsb commands, which you'd only use with the buff. It was kinda impossible to compare your dps without it.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

McDragon posted:

Ugh I need more keystones gotta beat up more magicites c'mon.

Can pretty consistently get Flame down in 36 seconds. Need another really good water person. Tidus wrecks face but Bartz just isn't quite specialised enough. His multicasts are good at least

You know the truth, deep down inside.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

DeadButDelicious posted:

You aren't wrong. Raging water does 4.9/7 compared to engulfing quadstrike's 3.2/4. Diving a ninja is worth it.

Since I pulled Edge USB I need to hone a second reflecting pool / raging water but I don't have any dark orbs.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

My sub30 Maliris team has all 3 of Tidus, Bartz and Yuffie on it

Edit: it might honestly be faster if I subbed out Bartz for my also-dived Edge, but I'm already consistently sub30ing her so whatever, I'll save the orbs

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Armitage posted:

Unfortunately that shares a banner with Gogo VI stuff, and Gogo is probably the worst non Core character in the game, with the worst 5* piece of equipment in his LMR.

Eh. Gogo is a bit of a dud, but that banner also has Strago's magical water chain, his water radiant shield USB, and Umaro's strong USB that does great ice chases. If anything, it's a really great banner with one dud character. And even then Gogo USB is a +ATK/+MAG/+RES buff and Hastega.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

DeadButDelicious posted:

Oh my gosh I was just about to say I wish I had some Ninja things but you've reminded me I got Edge's USB a while back. Might need to hone some Ninja skills then. Thank you for the tip