Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
I want to say that they only started doing episodes like that around the season 9 mark, but there was the early episode that starts out being about Homer getting the trampoline and then it suddenly turns into the Do What You Feel Festival plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
A lot of the classic era episodes are like that. The main difference is they were usually structured better and the episode would already be at its main conflict by the end of the first act or poised to jump into it immediately at the start of the second. The crappy seasons will not even introduce the main plot until the second act or even jump into a third main plot halfway through the episode.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Drunken Baker posted:

I've taken to watching entire runs of TV shows of late. Like, 2, 3 episodes a night after work as I eat tea and do some chores before my 2nd job. I did South Park and then American Dad and when you watch them all one after another it becomes really obvious when they start slipping. Even if at the time they didn't seem that bad, what with waiting weeks between shows and then a year between seasons.

Point being I'll probably do the Simpsons next.

AD never got as bad as South Park and Simpsons. It's still pretty funny

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
If I watched the first season of American Dad and found it never funny, is there a better season to try out?

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Scudworth posted:

If I watched the first season of American Dad and found it never funny, is there a better season to try out?

if you dont think gay aliens and dumb white men are funny you're SOL for american pappi

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Junk posted:

I want to say that they only started doing episodes like that around the season 9 mark, but there was the early episode that starts out being about Homer getting the trampoline and then it suddenly turns into the Do What You Feel Festival plot.

Fear of Flying also has that problem. It happens in a lot of the weaker classic epsiodes

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Milo and POTUS posted:

AD never got as bad as South Park and Simpsons. It's still pretty funny

Oh God, yeah, American Dad is still decent. But there was still a slip somewhere around season 9 where it started getting goofier than usual.

Scudworth posted:

Season 1 is almost an alien show(pun intended?) compared to season 2 onwards. It felt like they really didn't know what to do with the premise for a while.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

YeahTubaMike posted:

they also had an entire conway twitty song, now that i think about it

Twice I think. TWICE.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oddly enough, season wise (though not episode count wise) South Park got bad right about the same time Simpsons did. That Return of Chef episode was bad bad bad and I think that was like the start of 10.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oddly enough, season wise (though not episode count wise) South Park got bad right about the same time Simpsons did. That Return of Chef episode was bad bad bad and I think that was like the start of 10.

And like The Simpsons its when every episode was about *insert celebrity*. Like, before that they'd have parodies or piss-takes and they'd have to be a bit witty or clever about it. But then it's just Steve Jobs turning up and Maroon 5 or whatever.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Drunken Baker posted:

And like The Simpsons its when every episode was about *insert celebrity*. Like, before that they'd have parodies or piss-takes and they'd have to be a bit witty or clever about it. But then it's just Steve Jobs turning up and Maroon 5 or whatever.

The Apple episode only featured "Steve Mobbs" but you'll be glad to know they did an entire episode featuring Elon Musk and how great he is.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

YeahTubaMike posted:

they also had an entire conway twitty song, now that i think about it

I think they’ve done that twice now with different Conway Twitty songs. They also showed the entire music video for the Bowie/Jagger version of Dancing in the Streets. I honestly can’t even remember the context of that one.

Drunken Baker posted:

Oh God, yeah, American Dad is still decent. But there was still a slip somewhere around season 9 where it started getting goofier than usual.

I still occasionally watch American Dad when it’s on. But I do think the storylines are running a bit thin. How many times can we watch Stan gently caress up and then he has to make a big emotional speech to Francine? That seems to be every other episode.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

American dad season 1 is complete garbage

It transforms after that and becomes better. At some point it becomes great

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I couldn't stand American Dad when it started. It was way too transparent with the whole, "The gay one, the talking animal that wants to gently caress the wife" and so on when it just copy pasted Family Guy. That being said, some of the later seasons were pretty funny to me, and they seemed to break far away from being FG2. But I only watched a few reruns on adult swim, so who knows. :shrug:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

A friend loaned me a bunch of seasons of American Dad and I felt like it got stale in season six and gave up there.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

You want to watch something truly bad ie something that will make even bad simpsons and the cleveland show look like high loving art try Bordertown. I don't hate Seth as much as most people but good god man what were you even doing involved with that. His work is all over the place

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

You want to watch something truly bad ie something that will make even bad simpsons and the cleveland show look like high loving art try Bordertown. I don't hate Seth as much as most people but good god man what were you even doing involved with that. His work is all over the place

I watched some of that, Hank Azaria played the lead role.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've only watched a handful of AD episodes, but they were decently funny and took much better advantage of the cartoon medium than Family Guy ever did. The episode where Steve gets a chubby girlfriend blew my mind.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Milo and POTUS posted:

And yet, it can't be the worst ever animated show because let's remember that Allen Gregory existed. I mean, unless I've blanked out something even more terrible, that one has got to be the bottom of lovely edgy adult cartoons. I think it was released around the peak of Family Guy's popularity when people were apparently desperate for more gay jokes.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

Like, Homer has a dumb idea to sell grease just like when he had an idea to sell sugar

Aww, but the grease selling scam is really good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7SqSd3ZSBU

His logic about Marge being the one to buy the bacon is classic Homer

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
I will always praise American Dad for teaching me all about Ollie North's gold.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

SEX BURRITO posted:

And yet, it can't be the worst ever animated show because let's remember that Allen Gregory existed. I mean, unless I've blanked out something even more terrible, that one has got to be the bottom of lovely edgy adult cartoons. I think it was released around the peak of Family Guy's popularity when people were apparently desperate for more gay jokes.

The one on netflix about middle school kids going through puberty is pretty bad

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Fried Watermelon posted:

Fatmouth or something, yeah. It's pretty light on actual jokes.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Fried Watermelon posted:

Oh you mean this one?

That thumbnail kept showing up on my recommendations and grossing me the gently caress out.

In my search for that show since I couldn't remember the name, I discovered Matt Groening is developing some fantasy themed cartoon for Netflix, hadn't heard of that till now.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to that new Matt Groening cartoon. It starts next month, and they've got a teaser out that doesn't tell you poo poo about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV8vTGcv5Jc

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

PostNouveau posted:

Looking forward to that new Matt Groening cartoon. It starts next month, and they've got a teaser out that doesn't tell you poo poo about it.

it tells you john dimaggio and maurice lamarche are involved.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

JazzFlight posted:

Almost all of the plots are lazy recycles of earlier story beats as well. Like, Homer has a dumb idea to sell grease just like when he had an idea to sell sugar and Lisa has to deal with a new classmate voiced by a celebrity (both of these rehashed plots are in the same ep btw).

I do remember that episode had the funny trophy case joke TBF.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PostNouveau posted:

I sure hope they didn't use the best joke for the trailer.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
All of this talk about bad cartoons fox aired alongside Animation Domination reminds me of when they made a Napoleon Dynamite series but it was like 10 years after the movie came out, or something absurd, and I don't even think it lasted a season. How did that even get made?

SEX BURRITO posted:

I think they’ve done that twice now with different Conway Twitty songs. They also showed the entire music video for the Bowie/Jagger version of Dancing in the Streets. I honestly can’t even remember the context of that one.

Remember when FG showed like, a glitch or cheat from Tecmo Bowl, but they just took a random video from Youtube without crediting it and inserted it into the show? I think when Seth or someone was called out on it they just ignored it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Sigh. Animation these days is so detailed and so dead-looking.

e: never a bad time to post this

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 4, 2018

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Cheapsteaks posted:

Remember when FG showed like, a glitch or cheat from Tecmo Bowl, but they just took a random video from Youtube without crediting it and inserted it into the show? I think when Seth or someone was called out on it they just ignored it.

Didn't the goon who made that aul "Peanutbutter Jelly" video have a back and forth with the Family Guy people as well? I think they sent him a t-shirt or something dumb.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Cheapsteaks posted:

I don't remember that, but it doesn't surprise me at all. I distinctly remember the moment I went from disliking FG to hating it: there was some episode where there was yet another Peter vs Chicken Guy fight that lasted for like five minutes, and then immediately afterwards Stewie is like "hey Brian check out this music video I made" and then it cuts to another five minutes of stewie's lovely music video. Ten minutes of complete non sequitur with nothing to do with the plot down the drain, in a fuckin 22 minute show.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

THE BAR posted:

Fatmouth or something, yeah. It's pretty light on actual jokes.

The art style and character designs and all that poo poo looks loving horrendous

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
A friend told me "No, Big Mouth is ugly but it's actually really funny" I just nodded and made a mental note to never trust them again.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Good soup! posted:

The art style and character designs and all that poo poo looks loving horrendous

It just looks like AD to me. Although I don't recall how much of that McFarlane "open palm when speaking-thing" they do in this. It would be weird to outright copy every detail of another show, but the colour scheme and light stencil reminds me of modern FG/AD.

E:

Googling "stencil" sure has a.. Surprising first example.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 4, 2018

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Cleveland show is good fight me.

American Dad is the best one

Every once in a blue moon I’ll watch a new Family Guy and I feel like I know every joke before it lands.

I haven’t watched more than 3 episodes of post S-11 Simpsons in my life.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Cheapsteaks posted:

All of this talk about bad cartoons fox aired alongside Animation Domination reminds me of when they made a Napoleon Dynamite series but it was like 10 years after the movie came out, or something absurd, and I don't even think it lasted a season. How did that even get made?

It got better the fox auto bot or whatever on youtube got the original video taken down under a copyright notice. It went back up in the end not sure how fox settled with the guy prob tried to do it cheaply whatever.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Big mouth is alright most of the time but other times really cringy and disturbing. I think it would be a good way to show puberty to children going through puberty to break the ice some but as an adult there's way too much stuff in there I just don't want to see. A lot of it comes directly from john mulaney's stand up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

I don't remember that, but it doesn't surprise me at all. I distinctly remember the moment I went from disliking FG to hating it: there was some episode where there was yet another Peter vs Chicken Guy fight that lasted for like five minutes, and then immediately afterwards Stewie is like "hey Brian check out this music video I made" and then it cuts to another five minutes of stewie's lovely music video. Ten minutes of complete non sequitur with nothing to do with the plot down the drain, in a fuckin 22 minute show.

when you run out of ideas you can apparently either (a) start doing hit-or-miss "experimental" stuff like pasting in an entire conway twitty song or animating a ten-minute non sequitur fight sequence, or (b) just do one of your old plots over again but with a celebrity guest this time who cares

i know i prefer the former. might be stupid but at least it's novel