Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah my gut instinct is that anyone trying to sell the idea of paying for a medical procedure on revolving credit as opposed to a fixed loan will probably try to be as exploitative as possible, I would at least comb through that agreement multiple times before signing anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

oddium posted:

an arby’s plant.... folks i’m talking about rafflesia

also this is a really good post

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

One of the Overwatch League franchises is sponsored by Jack in the Box.

Another made In and Out into a meme, I hope they look into an official partnership

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

One thing I'll say, a friend of mine who was right on the cusp of being legally blind got Lasik and I don't think he was as emotionally determined about getting the procedure done as KCD seems to be.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Help Im Alive posted:

Do streamers really get those kinds of sponsors

i think chocotaco gets like free dr pepper or something for putting their logo up

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have been one win away from ranking up in Splatoon 2 for an hour. The only rational explanation for a losing streak this long is that I'm so amazingly bad at this game that it is impossible to compensate for me being on a team. I should change my name to "I'm Sorry" at this point.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

One of the Overwatch League franchises is sponsored by Jack in the Box.

Another made In and Out into a meme, I hope they look into an official partnership

Hit me up JitB I'll say whatever if you set me up with a grip of sourdough burgers

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Looper posted:

a $4000 debt is not "treating yourself" :/

Yeah, I literally raised my eyebrows when reading that. Yikes.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
We all have something we don't like about ourselves, and if it was how we look with glasses, most of us would probably think that is close to drawing the jackpot as that isn't really a problem of the body unlike, say a giant scar across the face, a missing limb, being overweight etc.

Or to phrase it differently: if the problem is not her face but simply the glasses on her face, it's definitely not worth undergoing surgery for and taking on debt. Especially if the doctor offers you a credit card.

What is that anyway, that should be absolutely illegal.
The person directly profiting from you going into debt approves your credit? Holy poo poo that is genius levels of asking for scummy offers.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Harrow posted:

I have been one win away from ranking up in Splatoon 2 for an hour. The only rational explanation for a losing streak this long is that I'm so amazingly bad at this game that it is impossible to compensate for me being on a team. I should change my name to "I'm Sorry" at this point.

I stopped trying to play competitive games when I realized I was the weak link.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe it's time to play 1v1 games and master the art of fighting

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

chumbler posted:

I've never :same:'d so hard

I'd rather not play than be a burden for other people.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think the most annoying thing is that I don't think I'm actually the worst player on most of my teams. Usually by the end-of-match rankings I'm second or third, sometimes even first on my team. It's just that, well, I can't honestly think of why else I could have a loving hour-long losing streak :psyduck:

I ended up getting one more win just before the ranked mode rotated and ranking up but god drat it didn't feel like I deserved it.

I also witnessed several unbelievable comebacks by enemy teams in this time, so I guess that was exciting.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I will get octopath traveler, and also finish yakuza Kiwami and god of war before Kiwami 2 next month

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Is that game worth playing yet? I sounds right up my alley but I never touch anything that's deep in early access.
I think so, the core systems are pretty strong at this point. like everything about the game is built around a bunch of different physics simulations, fluid dynamics, atmospheric gasses, temperature simulation, and even like the movement of germs through your colony is physically simulated. its really satisfying to build a base taking into consideration stuff like keeping your fresh and waste water physically separated, keeping your living areas oxygenated and at a comfortable temperature, and segregating things so your miners don't rub space germs all over everything. its a dynamic that these kinds of games have never really had before.

what it is missing is some kind of dwarf fortress end game, where you dig too deep and everything starts falling apart. in this game mostly you just peter out after building a huge colony and exhausting all your resources, although they did just recently add a new biome with renewable resources. its just not a very challenging game currently. they put out a pretty substantial patch every 6 weeks though, its one of the best supported early access games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Hopper posted:

Especially if the doctor offers you a credit card.

What is that anyway, that should be absolutely illegal.
The person directly profiting from you going into debt approves your credit? Holy poo poo that is genius levels of asking for scummy offers.

yeah, i wasn't sure if i was reading that correctly but if the process of getting approval for the credit card had anything to do with the lasik office itself, that's a huge red flag and there's no way that making those payments is going to work the way y'all want them to in 2018's US

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

chumbler posted:

splatoon is a really good cure for this imo because SAME but i also never play ranked so idk

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Please stop engineering death traps for that poor girl.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

chumbler posted:

Please stop engineering death traps for that poor girl.

i didn't engineer poo poo, that's just what happens if you don't place the single box they give you. these streets are a death gauntlet

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Looper posted:

yeah, i wasn't sure if i was reading that correctly but if the process of getting approval for the credit card had anything to do with the lasik office itself, that's a huge red flag and there's no way that making those payments is going to work the way y'all want them to in 2018's US

https://www.creditkarma.com/reviews/credit-card/single/id/carecredit-card

I went and found it, that's the credit card they offered her.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Help Im Alive posted:

Maybe it's time to play 1v1 games and master the art of fighting

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js4cU4X5BkU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Not even the best part of that quest.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
To someone who has never played another YS game, how is YS Origin?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
God there really isn't much of anything coming out this month huh? Captain Toad and Sonic Mania Plus I'll get but they're not really new beyond some added content. Is there any big or interesting releases coming out in July and August besides the WoW expansion? Games I'm interested in don't really start happening until September (Spiderman, Tomb Raider, Spyro, and Life is Strange)

I have all this money to spend on video games in my life now but this and next month feel pretty barren

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Octopath Traveller

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Macaluso posted:

God there really isn't much of anything coming out this month huh? Captain Toad and Sonic Mania Plus I'll get but they're not really new beyond some added content. Is there any big or interesting releases coming out in July and August besides the WoW expansion? Games I'm interested in don't really start happening until September (Spiderman, Tomb Raider, Spyro, and Life is Strange)

I have all this money to spend on video games in my life now but this and next month feel pretty barren

octopath motherfucker

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

homeless snail posted:

I think so, the core systems are pretty strong at this point. like everything about the game is built around a bunch of different physics simulations, fluid dynamics, atmospheric gasses, temperature simulation, and even like the movement of germs through your colony is physically simulated. its really satisfying to build a base taking into consideration stuff like keeping your fresh and waste water physically separated, keeping your living areas oxygenated and at a comfortable temperature, and segregating things so your miners don't rub space germs all over everything. its a dynamic that these kinds of games have never really had before.

what it is missing is some kind of dwarf fortress end game, where you dig too deep and everything starts falling apart. in this game mostly you just peter out after building a huge colony and exhausting all your resources, although they did just recently add a new biome with renewable resources. its just not a very challenging game currently. they put out a pretty substantial patch every 6 weeks though, its one of the best supported early access games

Cool. I don't really care about an elaborate endgame since I never get to that in Dwarf Fortress. I prefer for my forts to just spiral into insanity and persih from dwarven nature asserting itself.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

https://www.creditkarma.com/reviews/credit-card/single/id/carecredit-card

I went and found it, that's the credit card they offered her.

those reviews are pretty yikes :(

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

glam rock hamhock posted:

To someone who has never played another YS game, how is YS Origin?

it's the best one

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

It really is.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Did later demos of Octopath ever make the fights more interesting? Cause that kind of killed a lot of my interests when the demo first came out both because there was minimal animations, and I also didn't like the the sprites on the heroes were similar to the overworld while the enemy sprites were big and detailed.

My favorite part of the demo was you could fight the regular rear end nice town people and leave them lying there on the ground

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 4, 2018

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

it's the best one

Also the best place to start.

Although I'm guessing they're asking because it's on sale on PSN, and I dunno about the PS4 version but the Vita is a hard avoid.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I've played Ys Origins, Oath of Felgana and Ark of Napishtim and all of them were great. Just be aware that the real treat of the game are the bosses and that a single level might make all the difference.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Did later demos of Octopath ever make the fights more interesting? Cause that kind of killed a lot of my interests when the demo first came out both because there was minimal animations, and I also didn't like the the sprites on the heroes were similar to the overworld while the enemy sprites were big and detailed.

My favorite part of the demo was you could fight the regular rear end nice town people and leave them lying there on the ground
nah, its pretty much the same. that stuff is an intentional aesthetic choice cause the game badly wants to be a SaGa game

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

chumbler posted:

Not even the best part of that quest.

meow meow choco chow

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

homeless snail posted:

nah, its pretty much the same. that stuff is an intentional aesthetic choice cause the game badly wants to be a SaGa game

Oh :(

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Macaluso posted:

I also didn't like the the sprites on the heroes were similar to the overworld while the enemy sprites were big and detailed.

that owns though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah that's how 16-bit JRPGs did it

• Locked thread