Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

They need to charge $315 for the Switch and just have Hollow Knight pre-installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

kidcoelacanth posted:

Anyone used an ethernet adapter for their Switch? I've been having trouble playing Tennis online while docked and I'm wondering if it's a decent solution.
Yes, a lot of people use one. It's recommended if you are playing games online. Any USB one will do.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I wouldn’t play anything competitive on the Switch wireless. It’s not a good way to play, Ethernet all the way

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Hello thread, taking a break from BotW and have a few questions if you don't mind.

1] Is the Pro Controller any good for fighting games? I'm still finding the joy cons a struggle to play with in Street Fighter 30th Anniversary. The controls are a little bit more responsive in the Alpha series but everything else I'm having a hard time using them in. The Pro Controller is a) £59.99 new and not much cheaper used and b) The D-Pad doesn't look too comfy and looks like I may get thumb blisters again like I did with PSX / PS2 controllers in the past when doing Shoryuken inputs. I'm a bit wary of third party controllers but open to recommendations.

2] L.A. Noire. I enjoyed it on launch for 360. Does it play well on Switch?

Side note: My local GAME has the day one edition of Shantae: Half-Genie Hero going cheap. If its still there on Friday I might pick it up, looks fun.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I went through LA Noire on Switch and the port is good.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
If you like LA Noire playing it on the Switch works fine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I wouldn’t play anything competitive on the Switch

Nintendo games are for fun times

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Hello thread, taking a break from BotW and have a few questions if you don't mind.

1] Is the Pro Controller any good for fighting games? I'm still finding the joy cons a struggle to play with in Street Fighter 30th Anniversary. The controls are a little bit more responsive in the Alpha series but everything else I'm having a hard time using them in. The Pro Controller is a) £59.99 new and not much cheaper used and b) The D-Pad doesn't look too comfy and looks like I may get thumb blisters again like I did with PSX / PS2 controllers in the past when doing Shoryuken inputs. I'm a bit wary of third party controllers but open to recommendations. .

I used Pro controller for BlazBlue Crosstag and it works wonderfully. Also used it for some SNK fighters and it's just as good as PS4 pad when it comes to playing fighting games. Unfortunately SF 30th is a piece of poo poo because a lot of moves in Alpha/SF3 are borderline impossible to do with anything other than a fightstick (any 3x move, EX moves are a massive loving pain) and you can't reassign all the buttons.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Zaphod42 posted:

Nintendo games are for fun times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MlNWYyVdh0

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

pro controller looks baller although it's hella expensive. what's this dpad issue people were going on about a few pages back?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can you connect 8 joycons to the switch so
You can have 4 joycon dogface controllers, or can you only ever have two of those?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Generic Monk posted:

pro controller looks baller although it's hella expensive. what's this dpad issue people were going on about a few pages back?

Inputs are mushy

ninja edit: they are otherwise great controllers but man it's terrible mis-fingering the wrong quick chat in rocket league

e2: i have a xenoblade edition for reference

Manky fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 4, 2018

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, in Hyrule Warriors I'll sometimes end up with an up input when Im trying to do a side input, or visa versa.

I want to say I've heard the d-pad problems are less of an issue on newer ones? I also saw a poster claim you can pull apart the controller and stick some tape in to raise the height of the d-pad which should help with some wrong inputs.

Pro Controller is going to run to run you about the same or close to the cost of two Joycons. Seemed worth it to me. Huge bonus is it's totally compatible with Steam, and all you need to do is plug it in via the USB C it comes with. Steam even has adjustments for it to let you do stuff like make the buttons match the layout of an X-box pad or correspond to prompts correctly.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Generic Monk posted:

There is an issue with D↑ registering unintentionally. It is thought to have been fixed by the Xenoblade 2 Edition Pro Controller (which is what I use), and assumed to have been fixed in future Pro Controller models. But there's still a lot of faulty ones in the wild so it's hard to say what you'll get

In Tetris, this means unintentional hard drops that will wreck your game fast

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I played Night Trap a few years ago and went into it expecting a game that was controversial at the time but tame by today's standards, but what I got was a game that shouldn't have been controversial ever. There's no sexual content or on screen violence at all. It has zero of the things it was scrutinized for and made infamous over.

The video game violence Senate hearing was obviously just people making poo poo up, but wow, they must have literally just gone into a Toys R Us and picked up the first 2-3 games they saw without looking because they could have picked any SNES launch title and had more violence to show.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
In other words, just get another controller. There's adapters for everything now.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Spellman posted:

There is an issue with D↑ registering unintentionally. It is thought to have been fixed by the Xenoblade 2 Edition Pro Controller (which is what I use), and assumed to have been fixed in future Pro Controller models. But there's still a lot of faulty ones in the wild so it's hard to say what you'll get

And in Celeste so many diagonal dashes when you mean horizontal. :argh:

It sounds like the d-pad problems can be better or worse depending on how you press the d-pad. If you roll your thumb on the central pivot (like a normal person) you're more likely to get the wrong input; if you treat the d-pad like 4 separate buttons you're less likely.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Spellman posted:

both of mine do it, and it ends up meaning i just cant use them with 2D games a lot of the time
which is real annoying, especially given their price

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I love my pro controller and have never had an issue

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Every dpad has the same issue, there are no exceptions.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

angel opportunity posted:

I play hollow Knight with the joycon "dpad" I have fully adapted to it and find no issue using it as a regular platformer dpad. If hollow Knight required you to hit diagonals I might run into issues, but luckily it doesn't

I used the joycon d-buttons for celeste and had no problem with the diagonals. I think there was a little bit of getting used to it but that was months and thousands of madeleines ago

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I played Night Trap a few years ago and went into it expecting a game that was controversial at the time but tame by today's standards, but what I got was a game that shouldn't have been controversial ever. There's no sexual content or on screen violence at all. It has zero of the things it was scrutinized for and made infamous over.

But, but... a woman in a nightie. And she screams! Won't somebody think of the children?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Any re-release of Night Trap really needs to re-shoot the original Sega Control Attack Team sequence to replace the Sega CD controller with the correct platform's controller

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

King Vidiot posted:

But, but... a woman in a nightie. And she screams! Won't somebody think of the children?

It’s photorealistic! And interactive! Kids won’t know the difference between playing this game and actually, uhh, making smoke spray in front of a guy in a black cloak holding a cartoonish grabber arm.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gonna order it right now. Thanks!

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, in Hyrule Warriors I'll sometimes end up with an up input when Im trying to do a side input, or visa versa.

I want to say I've heard the d-pad problems are less of an issue on newer ones? I also saw a poster claim you can pull apart the controller and stick some tape in to raise the height of the d-pad which should help with some wrong inputs.

Pro Controller is going to run to run you about the same or close to the cost of two Joycons. Seemed worth it to me. Huge bonus is it's totally compatible with Steam, and all you need to do is plug it in via the USB C it comes with. Steam even has adjustments for it to let you do stuff like make the buttons match the layout of an X-box pad or correspond to prompts correctly.

honestly I thought I'd be quite happy with the wired Zelda one that this ebay switch came with (which despite all the Nintendo branding on it seems to have been made by a 3p company) but mario keeps advertising all the sick things you can do with the pro gyro and it's making me incredibly covetous (could prob use the joycon grip too but... gently caress that)

I have a dualshock 4 that I use for some games on my mac (mac gaming lol) but I would kind of like something with battery life that isn't like 4hrs

gently caress I'm going to end up buying this aren't I. the taste i'll get looking at my bank account is going to be more bitter than the taste of these loving game carts

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

The video game violence Senate hearing was obviously just people making poo poo up, but wow, they must have literally just gone into a Toys R Us and picked up the first 2-3 games they saw without looking because they could have picked any SNES launch title and had more violence to show.

I mean when you look at the furore over hot coffee versus what was actually in the game (2 poorly made action figures being smashed together) it's pretty clear that most of the moral panic poo poo doesn't really have any basis in reality. I mean I'm totally up for an academic discussion about the normalisation of violence and sexualised violence in the media but that barely ever happens

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 4, 2018

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Generic Monk posted:

bear in mind he did say he only plays in handheld mode

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I reached a jump in Hollow Knight I can't do to save my life. I'm sure the game is telling me that I either don't have the tools or it's optional but geez it's got me heated up.

In the second area I need to dash, pogo off a crab, dash again, pogo off a second crab, then dash a third time to safety. I just cannot get that second pogo timed out. It's like it wants me to get more air but I just can't do it.

Jelly Omelet
Sep 2, 2011

While on controler chat, I was wondering if there is any way to use the NES/SNES classic controllers on the switch? I'd love to play the Mega Man collections with them.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Huxley posted:

I reached a jump in Hollow Knight I can't do to save my life. I'm sure the game is telling me that I either don't have the tools or it's optional but geez it's got me heated up.

In the second area I need to dash, pogo off a crab, dash again, pogo off a second crab, then dash a third time to safety. I just cannot get that second pogo timed out. It's like it wants me to get more air but I just can't do it.

Yeah that part is difficult. The reward is not super important so you can come back later after you have some more abilities

Spellman
May 31, 2011

mancalamania posted:

It sounds like the d-pad problems can be better or worse depending on how you press the d-pad. If you roll your thumb on the central pivot (like a normal person) you're more likely to get the wrong input; if you treat the d-pad like 4 separate buttons you're less likely.

I've watched non-gamers fool around on my Switch and blame themselves for pressing up on the d-pad; it's just not good compared to others

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jelly Omelet posted:

While on controler chat, I was wondering if there is any way to use the NES/SNES classic controllers on the switch? I'd love to play the Mega Man collections with them.

There's a guy on youtube who used a bluetooth dongle plus a chain of two other dongles to get a wii pro controller plugged into a wiimote working. Don't know if that's worth it for you.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
If you're interested in Night Trap for it's badly acted, goofy 90s fmv I can't really recommend buying it. You should just look those up. The thing about Night Trap is if you're actually trying to play the game you're not going to see any of that. You'll be way too busy switching video feeds.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Night Trap's gameplay makes more sense when you understand that it was designed for play on VHS tapes.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 4, 2018

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Jelly Omelet posted:

Save yourself trouble and get the 8bitdo NES/SNES bluetooth controllers.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Any re-release of Night Trap really needs to re-shoot the original Sega Control Attack Team sequence to replace the Sega CD controller with the correct platform's controller

I think there's an insert shot of a close-up of the Genesis controller. Just replace that with a shot of a beefy dude arm holding a joycon, and then don't even fix the medium shots showing the Genesis controller.

Maybe also badly superimpose a shot of somebody de-syncing the joycons if you gently caress up.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I'd absolutely not get the Pro controller for fighting games - paying a lot of money for something that won't work for what ya want it for cause the Dpad sucks, and you don't wanna try and use a controller joystick. More expensive but grooviest option is to get an arcade stick plus Brooks converter (then you can also keep using the stick over the years on other systems), cheaper native Switch options look like either an 8bitdo (SN30 Pro?), or the Hori Pokken pad looks worth doing some googling about or if anyone in the thread has maybe tried it out http://stores.horiusa.com/pokken-tournament-dx-pro-pad-wired-controller-for-nintendo-switch/.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Huxley posted:

i never do pogo sections with perfect execution lol, I'll usually stay in place for multiple slashes to help get my bearings before moving on. or yeah feel free to just move on. there's a grub in the crossroads that requires pogoing up a staircase of spikes and i just waited until a later ability for that

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Jelly Omelet posted:

While on controler chat, I was wondering if there is any way to use the NES/SNES classic controllers on the switch?
I think you can plug them into a Wiimote and then use the Magic-NS adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I went through LA Noire on Switch and the port is good.

Good to know. Thanks.

DLC Inc posted:

I used Pro controller for BlazBlue Crosstag and it works wonderfully. Also used it for some SNK fighters and it's just as good as PS4 pad when it comes to playing fighting games. Unfortunately SF 30th is a piece of poo poo because a lot of moves in Alpha/SF3 are borderline impossible to do with anything other than a fightstick (any 3x move, EX moves are a massive loving pain) and you can't reassign all the buttons.

Um... I'm sure I remapped Fierce Kick from ZL to ZR yesterday, or do you mean you can't assign an unused button to be 3xP or 3xK like you could in the 20th anniversary edition? If so... git gud? (Says the guy who can't use fight sticks).

teh_Broseph posted:

I'd absolutely not get the Pro controller for fighting games - paying a lot of money for something that won't work for what ya want it for cause the Dpad sucks, and you don't wanna try and use a controller joystick. More expensive but grooviest option is to get an arcade stick plus Brooks converter (then you can also keep using the stick over the years on other systems), cheaper native Switch options look like either an 8bitdo (SN30 Pro?), or the Hori Pokken pad looks worth doing some googling about or if anyone in the thread has maybe tried it out http://stores.horiusa.com/pokken-tournament-dx-pro-pad-wired-controller-for-nintendo-switch/.

If the D-Pad is bad I'll be avoiding it like the plague and don't mind looking at third party stuff providing there's a good third party controller that won't die within six months. The best controller I've had which has worked for me was the silver xbox 360 controller which had an adjustable d-pad. If you turned it counter clockwise the filler bits between the four directional points would raise / lower so you could switch between a defined up down left right or a smooshy circle pad. That thing was fantastic and I don't get why such a function hasn't become standard.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 4, 2018

• Locked thread