Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
One of the most baffling VSTs I ever saw was a guy who made a meticulous recreation of a Fender Frontman 25, complete with 1x10" cab sim. I guess some dudes just see it as an interesting challenge.

I love the art on that. Teal on black is a criminally underused color scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Note: Tony made this because it's funny to him. He doesn't really plan on selling many lest he incur the Peavey C&D wrath.

owns

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Can I suggest all you guitar nerds pick up a brass plectrum? They are WICKED.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-X-Dunlop-Teckpick-Metal-Guitar-Picks-Plectrums-Brass-/201455879117

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I bet that peavy pedal doesent sound worse than many others when put into an amp with a decent speaker setup.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

BRASS ALUMINIUM PICKS

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's extremely rad

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Had my first out of town hell gig last week. Place was impossible to find, no crowd, no free beer/food/pay, opened for a karaoke act. Good times.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

oh hai I set up your kit for ya, ready to go

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Krustic posted:

Had my first out of town hell gig last week. Place was impossible to find, no crowd, no free beer/food/pay, opened for a karaoke act. Good times.

ah well as long as you get to meet the headliner it's all good

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chrpno posted:

oh hai I set up your kit for ya, ready to go

pretty sure i saw some thing with terry bozzio playing a double row of toms

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Muppets On PCP posted:

pretty sure i saw some thing with terry bozzio playing a double row of toms
Yeah, but Terry Bozzio is a weirdo.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Yeah, but Terry Bozzio is a weirdo.

Well yeah, he played with Zappa

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Krustic posted:

Was the city at least fun to be in?

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Shugojin posted:

Well yeah, he played with Zappa

It's kind of surprising that only one of those Zappa guys has gone away for serious sex crimes, seems like there'd be more

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Chrpno posted:

It's kind of surprising that only one of those Zappa guys has gone away for serious sex crimes, seems like there'd be more

Wait what I am not a Zappa fan and know nothing of this?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

http://www.nme.com/news/music/frank-zappa-5-1278886

http://fzreview.blogspot.com/2016/07/nepolean-murphy-brock.html?m=1

Multiple ones actually

Zappa is king tho

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Really buried the lede in that second link lol.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Frank Zappa is the Star Trek of music.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Snowy posted:

Not all Zappa fans are pedos but all pedos are Zappa fans?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Snowy posted:

Zappa is one of my biggest influences in music and I can’t refute this in any capacity.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Really buried the lede in that second link lol.

holy poo poo lol

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Also lol yeah that was just the first link I found

“and one more thing”

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Another solid product-decision by gibson:

https://www.thomann.de/dk/gibson_sg_fusion_lavender_fog.htm

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Is that the SG equivalent of the M2 and Firebird Zero?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That looks... fine? Also, not expensive as hell.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Wark Say posted:

That looks... fine? Also, not expensive as hell.

Reviews for the other recent $500 Gibsons were pretty bad so I wouldn't expect much from it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Reference posted:

Reviews for the other recent $500 Gibsons were pretty bad so I wouldn't expect much from it.
How do you gently caress up basic QC for budget lines? (I'm almost certain that's the one thing they keep loving up). Like, I'd think that's how you hook up potential newbies. Hell, despite of my wariness with how expensive they are, thanks to the Custom 24 SE I got back in December, now a US-made PRS isn't completely out of the question in my mind, and 2004-me would've punched the poo poo out of present day-me for just considering whacked out bullshit like that in passing. Recently, one of my local stores has been bringing out the China/Indonesia-factory made (Gretsch, Squier, LTD and such) guitars for lefties and I've been eyeing which one would be a good "beater" to have in a pinch, and there are 3 guitars that would do just fine:
  • One of the Squier Telecaster "Modern" (or contemporary? something like that) with two of them humbuckers.
  • A Charvel Telecaster with Floyd Rose
  • A Gretsch Electromatic Jet (the ones that look like Les Pauls, except less punishing, weight-wise)
And sure, the Charvel and the Gretsch are a little bit out there in price, but holy poo poo all three felt and played pretty loving solid, like, almost as solid as all my main guitars. Like, if I wasn't already surrounded by guitars (I have 10 active guitars again, please send help :cripes:), I'd consider buying all three, just on the impressions I got from them.

I can't wait for Gibson to be purchased by a company that at least seems to give a crap about their bottom line because holy poo poo (and I know this is like 15 years too late), you're drunk at the wheel Gibson.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
A few days ago I saw a sidebar link on I-don't-remember-which guitar website where the headline said something along the lines of "Henry Jwhateverthefuck dismisses Gibson quality concerns as 'fake news'" and I think the fact that I didn't immediately destroy something showed admirable restraint on my part.
(No, I didn't click through. You think I'm going to click on a headline that cursed?)

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Anime Reference posted:

A few days ago I saw a sidebar link on I-don't-remember-which guitar website where the headline said something along the lines of "Henry Jwhateverthefuck dismisses Gibson quality concerns as 'fake news'" and I think the fact that I didn't immediately destroy something showed admirable restraint on my part.
(No, I didn't click through. You think I'm going to click on a headline that cursed?)
Oh man you're a monster for not sharing.

'Henry Juszkiewicz: Gibson quality control accusations are "fake news" posted:

"Well, to quote some politicians, I would say that's 'fake news.'

"It's easy for people to troll on the internet, but you're in the media and I think you're probably more aware than most folks about the negativity that exists and, sometimes, the lack of truth in that negativity.

"Our quality today is better than it's ever been, which is not to say that we're perfect.

"The second thing I would say is our sales are increasing; we are growing much faster than the industry is growing, and so that would be a good indicator that there are maybe a few satisfied people.

"So if we really made junk, then people wouldn't buy it, especially at the price that we charge."
:allears:

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Zappa is one of my biggest influences in music and I can’t refute this in any capacity.

I was thinking something more like...

Frank Zappa is the Rick and Morty of music: there's some great stuff, there's some not-so-great stuff, and there's a whole lot of smug rear end in a top hat fans out there who worship the wrong parts and think the shock humor is what makes it great.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve never watched Rick & Morty but my exposure to it says yeah. That’s about right.

Approaching Zappa in modern times is loving hard. I can’t blame anyone for disliking his stuff. Even in the 2000s it was rough. His body of work is so dense and varied and trying to get a bead on what it was all going for is insane. If he has stuff that clicks for you though nothing else comes close. The dude was an unbelievable musician.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Frank Zappa made me realize that if you could "prep" a bicycle to make cool and musical sounds, then you could make cool sounds with fiddling with something more conventional. That's why, despite all the tuning headaches it gives me, the Jazzmaster I have is wonderful to make all sorts of wonderful, hosed-up sounds that none of my other guitars even approach.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

stillvisions posted:

I was thinking something more like...

Frank Zappa is the Rick and Morty of music: there's some great stuff, there's some not-so-great stuff, and there's a whole lot of smug rear end in a top hat fans out there who worship the wrong parts and think the shock humor is what makes it great.

I get the impression that there are a lot of people out there enjoying Rick and Morty and never talking about it purely because the people who talk about it a lot are so unbelievably awful.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Dealing with craigslist guys on the 4th of July rules. I just want to sell this pedal!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The most american thing you can do is not pay taxes on your truck.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

What's up with all these baked maple fretboards suddenly? Is it because of the rosewood restrictions?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wark Say posted:

Frank Zappa made me realize that if you could "prep" a bicycle to make cool and musical sounds, then you could make cool sounds with fiddling with something more conventional. That's why, despite all the tuning headaches it gives me, the Jazzmaster I have is wonderful to make all sorts of wonderful, hosed-up sounds that none of my other guitars even approach.

You got tuning problems on your Jazzmaster? Mine is rock solid ever since I replaced the dumb bridge.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is Awesome Music poo poo, but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-wXrB85Yic

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

You got tuning problems on your Jazzmaster? Mine is rock solid ever since I replaced the dumb bridge.
What bridge did you drop on to yours? If it's a lefty, am I going to have a headache finding something workable or am I gonna have to commission one getting built?

I bought this guitar from some weirdo in West Memphis and, while he swears that a simple nut replacement shall do the trick wrt tuning stability, I honestly been hesitating because I feel like I'm gonna further gently caress it up. Because, while it might fix the tuning issues, I feel that it's going to "kill" its noise-making abilities. And that is some Stupid Music poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Wark Say posted:

What bridge did you drop on to yours? If it's a lefty, am I going to have a headache finding something workable or am I gonna have to commission one getting built?

I bought this guitar from some weirdo in West Memphis and, while he swears that a simple nut replacement shall do the trick wrt tuning stability, I honestly been hesitating because I feel like I'm gonna further gently caress it up. Because, while it might fix the tuning issues, I feel that it's going to "kill" its noise-making abilities. And that is some Stupid Music poo poo.

Most goons recommend Mastery bridges for Jazzmasters. I have yet to buy one but it's very much on the list.