Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chinese "Level 4" self drive buses.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44713298

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

Both of my parents grew up subsistence farmers and both of them learned to swim in natural waters :shrug:. It seems like a poor idea to generalize American conditions to the entire world.
This was way north of Thailand tho', so I'm thinking dangerous animals might be an actual reason down there

No really, I'm not American but not knowing how to swim isn't as uncommon as you might think. Even in first world countries, where people generally have access to swimming pools and free/cheap classes and instruction, there's still a significant percentage of people who either don't know how to swim or swim so poorly that they can basically just tread water and little else. I live in Australia, a country famous for having a beach culture (case in point, as I write this, I'm only 20 feet from the ocean) and still I personally know at least half a dozen people who either can't swim or swim so poorly they'd drown in any real emergency. I imagine that number would be far, far higher in poorer, landlocked nations or even just those without a culture of swimming.

If these kids don't know how to swim, let alone dive, getting them out of a cave network in the dark would be almost impossible and probably suicidal for the rescuers.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

I thought it said 'Capitalism' at first, since it failed and threw everyone on it into the abyss

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Evilreaver posted:

I thought it said 'Capitalism' at first, since it failed and threw everyone on it into the abyss

The bridge works quite well for 1% of the people crossing.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Evilreaver posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
I learned to swim because it's part of the school curriculum from 5-10 years old. The only people who got exempt from it were the fatties who cried a lot and were afraid of water.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's pretty much the same here in New Zealand where a surprising percentage don't know how to swim despite the majority of the population living on a strip of land with water and inactive volcanoes everywhere. It follows mostly social-economic lines which means Pacific islanders who you think should have a pretty strong swimming culture have the lowest percentages iirc.

Edit: Most schools do have swimming but that can be pretty hit or miss even if the school has a dedicated pool.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
Everybody I went to school with could swim, but every school I went to had its own pool and swimming classes were mandatory. This was in Australia, about an hour and a half from the coast.

Now I'm in Finland and everybody I know from Finland can swim. I was in a Finnish language course for new immigrants recently though and nobody in that class knew how to swim.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

quote:

It said the vehicles would initially be put to commercial use within Chinese cities but added it was also targeting foreign markets

Targeting? Not the best choice of words...

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

Both of my parents grew up subsistence farmers and both of them learned to swim in natural waters :shrug:. It seems like a poor idea to generalize American conditions to the entire world.
This was way north of Thailand tho', so I'm thinking dangerous animals might be an actual reason down there

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm a white guy from the south and can't swim and know almost no one who can, it's an extremely reliable marker of parental income around here.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Powershift posted:

I've got an idea, hear me out.

You know those tubes at the costco that they use to send money to the central cage?

build one of those that's like 2 feet wide and run it through the caves, then just vacuum the kids out.

You be old man.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Bip Roberts posted:

it doesn't matter how good you are at football never try to intercept a fire cracker

He posted a PSA about it.

For The Love Of God, Please Do Not Ruin Your Fourth Of July By Looking At Jason Pierre-Paul's Exploded Hand

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

OSHA: Heavy emphasis on automotive travel over parking

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Even if the kids could swim, or even swim well, it doesn't much matter when you're talking about the situation they're in. Unless you think the folks who are cave diving to reach them are overstating how difficult it is to move through a flooded cave system.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

honestly not as bad as i was expecting. it's so swollen up it's barely recognizable as a human body part any more

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

That writer is such a baby.

Yeah, it's a graphic injury, but "Honestly, I think I might puke after looking at it" is a touch excessive. Get a hold of yourself, Lauren.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Let's be fair, not everyone online these days was desensitized by Rotten.com.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Remember: Gaston got killed because he was loving around with fireworks. Make sure that nobody else dies like Gaston.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-world-gaston-actor-dead-806834

His Divine Shadow posted:

Can't they just bring in more pumps? Surely mankind has enough and big enough pumps to show any old cave what for?

https://www.rainforrent.com/HighFlowPumps-DV600c.aspx

28,000GPM means it can drain a Olympic swimming pool in under a half hour.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Who needs rotten when most non-us news organizations republish ISIS executions in 4k

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I agree with the guy who suggested sedating the kids then binding them into bundles of 2 at a time to be towed out by divers like cargo.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

New Orleans has one that can push 9,000,000 GPM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gizmodo.com/5800072/the-worlds-largest-water-pump-moves-15-olympic-sized-swimming-pools-every-minute/amp

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
*bursts through the door breathlessly*

YOU GUYS, WHY CAN'T THEY JUST RAISE THE CAVE?!?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

C.M. Kruger posted:

Remember: Gaston got killed because he was loving around with fireworks. Make sure that nobody else dies like Gaston.
Man, that is some dedicated character acting.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Zipperelli. posted:

*bursts through the door breathlessly*

YOU GUYS, WHY CAN'T THEY JUST RAISE THE CAVE?!?

Perhaps lifting the mountain with a contained air cushion of some sort which works over both land and water?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Idiots just use a teleporter.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
they should pump water IN and flush them out

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Krabboss posted:

Everybody I went to school with could swim, but every school I went to had its own pool and swimming classes were mandatory. This was in Australia, about an hour and a half from the coast.

Now I'm in Finland and everybody I know from Finland can swim. I was in a Finnish language course for new immigrants recently though and nobody in that class knew how to swim.

I learned to swim late. I couldn't even tread water until about 4th grade. All of my friends could swim. I was embarrassed by it. I grew up in MN and you spend a lot of time in boats or near lakes. Everyone is always swimming in the summer when they're kids. All waters are considered public so if you see a lake, jump in.
I'm sure it's different in other regions of the US.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

i grew up in the south too and the #1 thing to do in the summer was to go to whatever nearby river/lake/creek you could get to and jump the gently caress in. Unless you're from the fake southern states like Texas or Oklahoma then yeah I'm sure they don't swim much in the fuckin desert.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

C.M. Kruger posted:

No one's ripped like Gaston!
Got a grip like Gaston's!
"I think it's a dud. We got gypped!" said Gaston!
"Why, this piece of poo poo's not even DE-to-na-ting--"
Gee, R.I.P., that Gaston!

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Peanut President posted:

i grew up in the south too and the #1 thing to do in the summer was to go to whatever nearby river/lake/creek you could get to and jump the gently caress in. Unless you're from the fake southern states like Texas or Oklahoma then yeah I'm sure they don't swim much in the fuckin desert.

Where do people get the idea that all of Texas is a desert? Also the best swimming hole I know is literally in the desert. Spring fed cold water with a sandy beach and huge trees for shade. Best place to spend a day I have ever found.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

I learned to swim because it's part of the school curriculum from 5-10 years old. The only people who got exempt from it were the fatties who cried a lot and were afraid of water.

Our school was huge, and a relatively wealthy district, but there wasn't a pool until a couple years after I graduated. The swim team just used the Y I think.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

just declare them saints, close the cave, and tell everyone they're protecting the mountain now.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Fill the cave with ping-pong balls, when the water level rises, the cave will float to the surface and the children can be extracted easily.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Get 500 helicopters and lift the top off the mountain. Simple, really

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
ow oof my retinas

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Volcott posted:

ow oof my retinas

I guess this is OSHA because it's their "job"? One of the three dumbfucks that died going over an extremely dangerous and freezing cold waterfall in my home province was part of the group of rear end in a top hat Instagram "travel vloggers" that did jail time for traipsing off boardwalk in Yellowstone and fined for waterskiing on the Bonneville Salt Flats a few years ago.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I’m from Orlando so even though I didn’t know that Gaston myself I know people who knew him. Apparently his fiancée was engaged to a new man within 3 months of his head caving in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

chitoryu12 posted:

I’m from Orlando so even though I didn’t know that Gaston myself I know people who knew him. Apparently his fiancée was engaged to a new man within 3 months of his head caving in.

Bah, I'm from mississippi; my x wife was married and pregnant within 2 months of our divorce. It's a widespread curse. I left the south.