Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

poor nabokov

Lolita was 14. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Franchescanado posted:

Lolita was 14. :colbert:

Technically its ephebophilia

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I'm gonna fight you

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Why are you quoting Mishima?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

New lit thread gang tag spotted

But yes this is the central conundrum; how to draft a rule that forbids piers anthony but does not draw me into endless rules lawyering because Lolita exists

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
"No Piers Anthony" seems a simple solution.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

How large a part of their body of works has creepy or problematic elements?
- One work: Probably a terrible story (and probably on purpose)
- The entire body of work: Probably a terrible author

rule of thumb-ish but it would clear Nabokov & commit Anthony to the depths of reddit

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
alternatively there is no supreme court of SA to appeal to so you don't really need iron clad legalese to be like "don't talk about the pedophile guy"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Could there be a blanket ban on being a freaking creeper?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i was actually wondering where grrm would fall on that spectrum lol. ive never read any

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Franchescanado posted:

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

That seems like overkill, in that it would prevent discussion of Killobyte.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

alternatively there is no supreme court of SA to appeal to so you don't really need iron clad legalese to be like "don't talk about the pedophile guy"

Yeah, the under lying principle of all rules is "what will minimize mod headaches and drama" and

StrixNebulosa posted:

Could there be a blanket ban on being a freaking creeper?

That's basically the existing policy and yeah probably how I should go on this. I may formalize the rule as that (The problem with just banning piers Anthony is it's too bright line - it would catch innocent folks going "I read piers Anthony once twenty years ago when I was ten, what else is good" types but exempt, say, titanide chat, and potentially lead to endless what-about-lolita bad faith trolling I'd rather sidestep).

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

How about "any positive comment about Piers Anthony will receive a ban unless you submit a 2000 word defense of the court room scene in firefly"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Franchescanado posted:

This is a good rule. And I'm sorry for bringing him up and starting this because I wanted to make a dumb self deprecating joke about my teenage self being a goober.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How about "any positive comment about Piers Anthony will receive a ban unless you submit a 2000 word defense of the court room scene in firefly"

i like the idea of book barn mod challenges if you talk positively about a gross book

at Jerome's discretion, whatever works

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

i dont know what "the court room scene in firefly" refers to but a) i assume its child sex and b) im quite frankly disturbed by the implication that you do

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have never even heard of Piers Anthony before today.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i dont know what "the court room scene in firefly" refers to but a) i assume its child sex and b) im quite frankly disturbed by the implication that you do

i watched the show (it was middling at best) and i dont remember a court scene, but since its joss whedon im assuming it was a wily woman trying to entrap a man in a rape charge and failing in court

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Anyone have a decent list of minorities that JK Rowling retroactively added and basically took credit for via Twitter/interview/Pottermore without having to actually write them into the books? So far I've got black Hermione, gay Dumbledore, and Jewish student Anthony Goldstein, but I'm almost sure there's more.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
who loving cares lol

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

who loving cares lol

i have my reasons

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Is this gonna be for a big dumb rant about sjws or something because if so link it so I can laugh at you

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

lol hell no i promise it's not for anything alt righty

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/joelansdale/status/1013090836840472577

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

cranky man :3:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Is this gonna be for a big dumb rant about sjws or something because if so link it so I can laugh at you

the opposite, its people who are not only mad that the children's wizard books don't have enough diversity, but that rowling's attempts to make up for being insufficiently woke 20 years ago by being woke now are actively bad

e: also lol at the idea that an author would have to explicitly sate after the fact that a character named Anthony Goldstein is jewish

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 1, 2018

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mel Mudkiper posted:

...probably also should ask for a defense of the pirate marriage scene in Bio of a Space Tyrant: Refugee.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What are Kingsley and Martin Amis like as novelists? I know that they were/are half-potty old racists as people, but how's their writing? What books come highly recommended from them?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

What are people's opinions about reading books of a series in order?

I've acquired numerous books over the years that I later realized were part of a series, and not the first book in the series either. My original plan was to get the other books in the series and read them in order, but I'm starting to realize this is making my "to read" list impossibly long. Do you guys always read books in order, or do you sometimes jump right into sequels? I realize it may depend on the type of series... how would you determine if you need to read it in order or not?

A few of examples of the series I need to deal with somehow:

The Ware Series by Rudy Rucker

The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind

The Pax Britannia Series by Jonathan Green

The Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase Series by Andy McDermott

A Time Odyssey Series by Arthur C. Clarke

A Spellsinger Series by Alan Dean Foster

the Asteroid Series by Ben Bova

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Well, first: this isn't really that good. And I say that as someone who actually *likes* ADF and has some nostalgia for these books because I was a teenager when they came out.

But if you're determined, read Spellsinger and The Hour of the Gate in order, because they're two parts of a single story. The other books are more or less self-contained so I don't think it matters too much what order you read them in.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 4, 2018

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

you could save plenty of time by just dumping the goodkin books into a fire

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

you could probably do that for the rest of them too but even from a genrist? (thinking of a similar term to rockist but for genre readers) stance goodkin is loving awful

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

the opposite, its people who are not only mad that the children's wizard books don't have enough diversity, but that rowling's attempts to make up for being insufficiently woke 20 years ago by being woke now are actively bad

It's less that and more than when it was pointed out her reaction was "ok, here, there's nothing to support it in the text, and there won't be anything to support it in the movies or books that have yet to come out, and basically no-one who just reads the books/watches the movies will ever know, but according to my secret notes this character is actually gay, so here's your :airquote: representation :airquote:, have fun".

Which definitely ruffles more feathers than just going "yeah, there's no gay characters, didn't think of it at the time :shrug:" because it comes across as trying to get points for being "LGBT inclusive" without actually doing any including.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Delivery of that message matters too.

“I always knew Dumbledore was gay but wasn’t critical to the story and was worried about the pushback I would receive. Especially with the negative reception I was already getting from some religious organizations. In retrospect I should have had the courage to follow through in the books instead of just in supplement material years later”

Is much different from

“Eh yeah Dumbledore is gay what of it” or “of course I had a Jew I didn’t write about in mind”

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

jagstag posted:

you could save plenty of time by just dumping the goodkin books into a fire

I've never read one of his books. Why do goons hate him so much?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The Grey posted:

While he acknowledges writing in the fantasy genre, Goodkind perceives his novels to be more than just traditional fantasy because of their focus on philosophical and human themes.[15][16] Goodkind believes that using the fantasy genre allows him to better tell his stories and better convey the human themes and emotions he desires to share with readers.[17]

Goodkind has been influenced by the work of Ayn Rand and her philosophical approach known as Objectivism. Writing about the series in The Atlas Society newsletter, Willam Perry states that Goodkind's "characters, plots, and themes...are clearly and directly influenced by Rand’s work, and the book’s heroes occasionally invoke Objectivist principles" with Goodkind using the novels to illustrate these themes. Perry notes the Objectivist themes become most obvious in Faith of the Fallen, which made the novel controversial among Goodkind's fan base; moreover, the novel contains several scenes that echo the plots of Rand's books The Fountainhead (1943) and Atlas Shrugged (1957).[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Goodkind#Genre_and_influences

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

The Grey posted:

https://shigekuni.wordpress.com/2012/05/16/a-chicken-that-was-not-a-chicken/

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

The Grey posted:

Let me explain, as someone who read the entire main series of 11 books.

Dude is your classic Reddit libertarian who is into really loves Ayn Rand and biotruths. Dude looooooooooves biotruths.

After the original 11 books, he's like "Okay, the story of those protagonists (Richard and Kahlan) is now over." And he was going to write a book set in the modern world, completely new and different. SWERVE. It was actually about someone from that world getting teleported to this world. Then he realized he can only write those books because he's a no talent hack. So he wrote 4 more books in the series where, in the end, the main character Richard kills prophecy.

Also, men can gently caress whoever they want but if a woman has sex with anyone but her destined partner, she's a worthless slut.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

yeah which is all w/e but like he writes like poo poo and his story is strange and rapey or at best some strange bdsm poo poo and like why read that for no reason