Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
WebKit is not poo poo. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Last Chance posted:

yea, but the underlying tech has nothing to do with Sony's poor UI decisions. you can make a webkit thing that, while slow, doesnt require a dozen clicks to download a game, or preclude someone from sorting their games a different way. steam does it better and it's webkit for example

Steam is also poo poo

9 times out of 10 webkit's going to be worse than a native solution

For steam I get it, they support 3 platforms, but i dont see the ps4 frontend showing up anywhere else

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I agree with you lastchance btw

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i gotcha, i''m just saying that their problems come in two bad but distinct ways:

sony's terrible inattention to detail/ux (I reread the earlier post and LOL at the fact that they list the wrong file sizes for games on the store, wtf??) and

and

its slow and clunky

two different things

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Every time I use the PlayStation store on my ps4 it’s like using it for the first time ever. Stuff is never where I expect it to be.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Every time I use the PlayStation store on my ps4 it’s like using it for the first time ever. Stuff is never where I expect it to be.

PS3 and PS4 Playstation Store also literally does not order games by price. It orders by price without discounts, sure, but that's literally useless.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Last Chance posted:

i gotcha, i''m just saying that their problems come in two bad but distinct ways:

sony's terrible inattention to detail/ux (I reread the earlier post and LOL at the fact that they list the wrong file sizes for games on the store, wtf??) and

and

its slow and clunky

two different things

The file size is accurate for one of two installation components

So if the installer is 4gb and the game takes up 5gb uncompressed you need 9gb to download and install

I get that it's the first generation that really delivered downloadable games at scale but christ is it frustrating, i had a launch 60gb ps3 and i effectively could only hold 45gb of games

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

PS3 and PS4 Playstation Store also literally does not order games by price. It orders by price without discounts, sure, but that's literally useless.

I’ve had first day edition games with downloadable content a few times and figuring out how to input the code and then download the content is always an adventure that takes me way longer than it should.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’ve had first day edition games with downloadable content a few times and figuring out how to input the code and then download the content is always an adventure that takes me way longer than it should.

Oh yeah I bought the PS4 GOATSE version of Fallout 4 and I had to look it up on the Internet how to get to the "free" DLC which I had codes for. Microsoft may be shite but Xbox Live just... works.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Jerry Cotton posted:

And if you order any sale list by price lowest to highest, you get like 6 pages of avatars, wallpapers, and DOA5 characters to skip past before you get to the first real product.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I actually never had a problem with the PS3 UI. At least it confined all my games to a single vertical column and didn't always display menu items for games I'd installed from disc.
The PS4 UI however I do dislike.

However both of them pale into insignificance beside the garbage fire that is the Xbox One UI, which is quite probably in the top 3 worst UIs I have ever encountered for any piece of technology.
It's slow. It's cluttered. It's slow. It's bloated. It's slow. It's ugly. I hate it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I’ve used Blackbox for Windows for years, and its still very functional but probably holding on by a thread under the covers.

The worst thing about modern OS UIs in general is all the stuff you can’t get rid of that you hate, the stuff they get rid of or break that you liked, and being impossible to just junk the whole shell and replace it with something else you’d like.

I miss the early aughts and all the neat shells you could load on top of Windows.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

doctorfrog posted:

I’ve used Blackbox for Windows for years, and its still very functional but probably holding on by a thread under the covers.

The worst thing about modern OS UIs in general is all the stuff you can’t get rid of that you hate, the stuff they get rid of or break that you liked, and being impossible to just junk the whole shell and replace it with something else you’d like.

I miss the early aughts and all the neat shells you could load on top of Windows.

I was a wierdo and used the zune xp skin, taskbar on top with objectdock on the bottom

Win10 effectively solves all this out of the box

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have nothing but bad memories of all that Windows theming software like all the stuff Stardock used to make.

Although I did tend to load the media center theme (Royale?) on normal XP.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Objectdock was more or less a competent ripoff of the osx dock if you used it solely as a shortcut bar

Using it to manage running application state failed miserably though, due to the fundamental differences between how windows and osx handle that

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

mystes posted:

I have nothing but bad memories of all that Windows theming software like all the stuff Stardock used to make.

Although I did tend to load the media center theme (Royale?) on normal XP.

I used Fences a lot. I thought it was great.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mak0rz posted:

I used Fences a lot. I thought it was great.

:hfive:

I hate having things visible on my desktop.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The best console UI was the original 360 paged one. It was well labeled and easy to navigate with the shoulder triggers. Even my mom could easily start up a game of 1 vs 100. Then they updated it to the ad-riddled tile mess and it's been poo poo ever since.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I miss the blades.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Goddamn I miss this so much. Real disappointing that it didn't get off the ground.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It did. It’s called battle royale

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I don't play fortnite but I don't think there's trivia in it?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

doctorfrog posted:

Meanwhile, over in the Linux world, everyone is still happily using whichever desktop environment we like, same as we've been doing for twenty years. (Did your favorite get completely ruined in a new release? Fork the old version and keep going!)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_-M-Hn3ZmU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Powered Descent posted:

Meanwhile, over in the Linux world, everyone is still happily using whichever desktop environment we like, same as we've been doing for twenty years. (Did your favorite get completely ruined in a new release? Fork the old version and keep going!)

This is in the top three things that’ll eventually put me onto Linux: you can change stuff on it if you want to. I hope it’s not too much trouble to dual boot for all those old games that won’t play on anything but Windows.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

This is in the top three things that’ll eventually put me onto Linux: you can change stuff on it if you want to. I hope it’s not too much trouble to dual boot for all those old games that won’t play on anything but Windows.

Nobody bothers to dual boot now that virtualization is good. For old games, you can just run a Windows VM on Linux. If you're into new games, install Windows on the hardware and then just use a full-screen Linux VM within Windows when you're not gaming.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

So kind of an OS turducken?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

Nobody bothers to dual boot now that virtualization is good. For old games, you can just run a Windows VM on Linux. If you're into new games, install Windows on the hardware and then just use a full-screen Linux VM within Windows when you're not gaming.

I dual boot.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

But, my precious RAM! Christ, anyone remember RAM optimizers and defragmenters?

I’ll be pretty happy if I can run a good bit of my GOG library in a Windows VM.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

doctorfrog posted:

RAM defragmenters

:psyduck:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

VMs are hot garbage until they can simulate a Voodoo 2/3 and SB16 in 98SE imo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Running Linux inside a virtual machine on a Windows box would literally defeat any possible practical purpose of running Linux at home. Not that a whole lot of people run Linux at home for any practical purposes.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Docker has pretty much replaced any need I had for a Linux vm

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I remember back when Steam announced their "Steam Machines", powered by Linux, and there were people who actually thought Linux would supplant Windows and become the primary PC gaming OS throughout the world.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I remember back when Steam announced their "Steam Machines", powered by Linux, and there were people who actually thought Linux would supplant Windows and become the primary PC gaming OS throughout the world.

To be fair the OSX/Linux gaming scene has gotten much better thanks to Unity and Steam. There's a lot more thought put into it now and games are built for it from the ground up since 5-7 years ago. Which was right around when Steam Machine was trying to be a thing.

But yeah whatever is the most popular OS is going to be the default 'gaming' OS. That's just how that works.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Plinkey posted:

whatever is the most popular OS is going to be the default 'gaming' OS.

So... Linux? I'm pretty sure that's not true you know.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

If he had specified desktop os, would you have been less insufferable?

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!

Jerry Cotton posted:

What is your definition of popular?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

how about on computers with dedicated video cards and attached to a keyboard/mouse and monitor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Fool posted:

If he had specified desktop os, would you have been less insufferable?

Let me put it this way: when they decided to call the third Xbox Xbox One I was glad because I thought it would stop hell idiots on Youtube from calling Xbox "Xbox one". My joy was short-lived of course since now they call Xbox "Xbox one I mean the original Xbox not Xbox One LOL" which is even worse.