Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Incidentally, I learned as a kid when having a lot of trouble with upgrading the sword, you can't use the cane to just summon a block to hold down the switch. The cane will just fizzle.

So it's not lost at the bottom of the last page:

ThornBrain posted:

Time to save Ralph's friend so he'll finally shut up.
We hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

I think what the game was going for on the Mystery Seeds was that despite repulsing Veran from her host, they also help her cast a more powerful time stop to prevent any stoppage on the tower's construction. Of course, Game Boy limitations and translations muddied it a bit I'm sure.

Also, the Noble Sword, as rad as it is, makes the game a bit too easy, so in my runs nowadays I actually go without it as much as I can to get some challenge out of the endgame. Sure do miss the sword beams though. :sigh:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The palace music is one of my favorite tracks across both of these games.

Also how could I have forgotten that the Noble Sword breaks pots in this game? So so convenient.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Ralph will never shut up. Ever.

Not even multiple stabbings will stop him.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Cythereal posted:

Incidentally, I learned as a kid when having a lot of trouble with upgrading the sword, you can't use the cane to just summon a block to hold down the switch. The cane will just fizzle.

So it's not lost at the bottom of the last page:

Why does the Cane even exist.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Silegna posted:

To solve very specific puzzles that involve holding down switches without any of the other tools also used to solve puzzles that involve holding down switches. And sometimes to make a stepping stone in the side-view sections.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Silegna posted:

Because it existed in LttP. You remember LttP, right? Ages/Seasons is just like it! No, really!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ages leans way harder into previous zelda games than seasons does to a surprising degree

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If you switch to any character at this point, I would have liked it to be Nayru.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

If you switch to any character at this point, I would have liked it to be Nayru.

"Oh no, Ambi was smart enough to bodysnatch Link! Ralph, no offense but I know you well enough that you probably just faffed about yelling my name while trying to rescue me. Sit down, shut up and give me your sword. It's time I return the favor." :getin:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

EponymousMrYar posted:

"Oh no, Ambi was smart enough to bodysnatch Link! Ralph, no offense but I know you well enough that you probably just faffed about yelling my name while trying to rescue me. Sit down, shut up and give me your sword. It's time I return the favor." :getin:

Ha ha, a Zelda game with a competent female character is unthinkable enough. Now you're suggesting a Zelda game with a female protagonist? In your dreams (and mine).

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Johnny Joestar posted:

ages leans way harder into previous zelda games than seasons does to a surprising degree

Which in itself is surprising, give the Origin of Seasons.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Out of all the many things wrong with Minish Cap, the cane is among the smaller ones

The best wrong thing about Minish Cap is that in the official Zelda timeline it happens before Ocarina of Time, but explicitly after the construction of the Temple of Time to seal away the Sacred Realm.

In other words, it's official canon that during the events of Minish Cap the Temple of Time, complete with Master Sword, is just standing around somewhere off-screen.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Cythereal posted:

Ha ha, a Zelda game with a competent female character is unthinkable enough. Now you're suggesting a Zelda game with a female protagonist? In your dreams (and mine).

I mean, depending on what you consider a Zelda game, Linkle in Hyrule Warriors was the protagonist of her own DLC chapter and saved Hyrule from a demonic invasion while Zelda and Link were off doing the main plot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cythereal posted:

Urbosa. Sure she got deaded before you show up, but she was awesome while she lived.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Cythereal posted:

Ugh, I know.

It does seem like a thing people care about, at least! There actually seems to be a mod project in the works to make Zelda playable instead of Link in Breath of the Wild, which is pretty cool. It looks like it's in fairly early stages and they haven't modelled all the outfits or anything, but what I've seen so far looks pretty impressive; here's a trailer someone made. I've also seen some footage of a version that replaced all of Link's grunts with Zelda ones from things like Hyrule Warriors and Smash Bros.

Unrelated to this - Thorn, you've said you're going to be doing a linked game for Seasons, haven't you? The way you were talking about it in this episode it sounded like you might not be, or maybe that you weren't going to do a lot of the extras? I know that you can get all of the major items (like Biggoron's Sword, the subject of the discussion) regardless of which order you do the games in, it's just that the events you do to get them are different... there are also password generators out there if you didn't feel like revisiting Ages to get the second half of the secrets. I know you've already recorded most if not all of the LP footage, I'm just curious how you're planning to approach it.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Explopyro posted:

Unrelated to this - Thorn, you've said you're going to be doing a linked game for Seasons, haven't you? The way you were talking about it in this episode it sounded like you might not be, or maybe that you weren't going to do a lot of the extras?

I could have still been deciding at the time. Seasons will be linked directly from Ages, but that's it. You need to link both to get most of the secrets, as all you really get from the first linked game is the passwords for those secrets (minus the continued story), and I don't like either game enough to play through them a second time.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

ThornBrain posted:

I could have still been deciding at the time. Seasons will be linked directly from Ages, but that's it. You need to link both to get most of the secrets, as all you really get from the first linked game is the passwords for those secrets (minus the continued story), and I don't like either game enough to play through them a second time.

This actually isn't quite right - you don't need to play Ages a second time to get the secrets. You just need to return to your existing Ages save file. Basically, in addition to the main "linked game" password, a bunch of NPCs will give you smaller ones you can give to various NPCs in your original Ages save for a reward (some of them will make you do a minigame first but they're not that bad), as well as a password. You give that password to Farore in Seasons and you'll get the reward there too.

You only need to do four playthroughs if you want 100% rings (which I agree isn't worth doing, playing both games twice in a row is tedious), all the other prizes can be gotten just playing each game once. The extra events for the linked game (and how you actually get those prizes) are different depending on which order you played the games, but the non-ring prizes are the same.

That said, of course I won't pressure you, especially if you've already recorded. Still, if you wanted to show off Biggoron's Sword and the suchlike in a bonus video or something, you wouldn't need to put in that much effort to do it.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Keep the seawaters clean. Use Great Fairy chlorine.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
You might say that in the past, King Zora was a bit...

Green around the gills?

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

ThornBrain posted:

Keep the seawaters clean. Use Great Fairy chlorine.

WARNING: Does not kill the Lost Woods Faries (sadly)

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I might be misremembering based on Link to the Past, but can you use the Cane of Somaria to mark out/follow the invisible path?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Jade Rider posted:

I might be misremembering based on Link to the Past, but can you use the Cane of Somaria to mark out/follow the invisible path?
You could. I remember it showing up in GameFAQs guides when I first played these games as an impatient teenager. That said it's also not hard to just break out the pencil and paper, as the text box won't go away if you don't tell it to. (I recall doing the same for the Simon Says segments of SNES Madden games, which unlike this could get stupid complicated if you wanted 90+ in all stats.)

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

When I was a kid with hyperlexia, Book It was extremely my jam

those personal pan pizzas tasted like success :cool: which may have something to do with my becoming such a fatass

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

SatansOnion posted:

which may have something to do with my becoming such a fatass

A well-read, intelligent fatass!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It is a little weird for Jabu-Jabu to make the jump, but I suppose when you're a third party making a game you grab all the greatest hits.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

King Zora seems in pretty good shape for a 400+ year old fish. I guess this is the game that establishes that Zoras have long lifespans, and the bit in Breath of the Wild is a callback to this game.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

SatansOnion posted:

When I was a kid with hyperlexia, Book It was extremely my jam

those personal pan pizzas tasted like success :cool: which may have something to do with my becoming such a fatass

Same, I loved reading and pizza, so hey, best of both worlds!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Jabu's grown some distinct digestive geometry since Ocarina of Time.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Please read my fanfic on how Jabu-Jabu is an early attempt by the Shika at growing a bio-mechanical guardian.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Ugh. This dungeon.

Zelda can never really seem to get water dungeons right. The only one I can think of that I actually like is the water dungeon from A Link Between Worlds

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Ugh. This dungeon.

Zelda can never really seem to get water dungeons right. The only one I can think of that I actually like is the water dungeon from A Link Between Worlds

I enjoyed the one in twilight princess. It had a fun variation on the rising water level gimmick.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I enjoyed the one in twilight princess. It had a fun variation on the rising water level gimmick.

I liked the Ancient Cistern in Skyward Sword, if you want to consider that a water dungeon.

I think in general, though, games not designed from the outset for underwater travel and gameplay tend to suffer when adding underwater areas to otherwise land-based games.

It's a shame, I love underwater stuff in games and it's a sorely underused environment and setting.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

It's me, the person that liked this dungeon quite a bit.

The next one I don't care for, nothing wrong with it but muh.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Zedd posted:

It's me, the person that liked this dungeon quite a bit.

The next one I don't care for, nothing wrong with it but muh.

You're not alone, I think I agree with this entirely.

Not to say it can't get tedious, but I guess I mind backtracking less than some people (or at least certain kinds of backtracking). I always thought this one at least felt satisfying to figure out.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I also prefered this dungeon to the next one.

The next dungeon is completely forgettable. I don't know whether it's the weak gimmick or the fact that it comes right before one of the best parts in the game, but on my recent playthrough I managed to mostly remember my way around all the other dungeons after like 12 years since the last time I played it, except for the last one in Ages.

All other dungeons (sans the first which can be excused by the fact of being the first) have at list something memorable. 2nd dungeon has the roulette boss. 3rd dungeon has best item. 4th dungeon is inside a volcano. 5th dungeon is a complete mess to navigate but has a nice gimmick boss. 6th dungeon has the time travel stuff. 7th dungeon is the water temple.

The last dungeon is just :flaccid:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I liked the Water Temple in both OoT and Majora's Mask but I'm pretty sure I have some kind of sickness.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Those electric enemies that split into two when hit. MeccaPrime always says that they're from Ocarina of Time, but they were in Link to the Past already, even if they were airborne and not underwater creatures.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Those electric enemies that split into two when hit. MeccaPrime always says that they're from Ocarina of Time, but they were in Link to the Past already, even if they were airborne and not underwater creatures.

I am turning in my nerd card at the nearest Gamestop.
i am a forgetful sot, lo siento

YggiDee posted:

I liked the Water Temple in both OoT and Majora's Mask but I'm pretty sure I have some kind of sickness.

I agree with you, here - we must have the same disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

from what i remember i don't think seasons even has a 'proper' water dungeon

part of this probably due to the fact that there's no mermaid tail