Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

FWIW I have a heavily modded F:NV installation working fine at 6w tdp, so if you've been itching for a replay, it works real well.

If you could test - as in, own the game, Divinity Original Sin 2 would be one I'd like to try on it. I'm not so worried about performance since it's turn based, but I wonder what that UI is like on a 6-inch screen.

I'm going to be ordering some copper shims soon to do a heatsink mod, but I'm going to stick to thermal paste (kyronaut) instead of LM or graphite pads. So we'll see how that works out.

What kind of temps are you getting at load @ stock TDP with undervolt? I'm getting about 62c and would like to take it down a bit with the mod if possible.

I don't have DOS2 unfortunately, but just eyeballing the screenshots I'd guess that an interface mod would be desirable unless it's actually reasonably readable at only HD resolution.

I have no plans to open it up to do any mods at this point but I did order the metal replacement cover for the m.2 slot because those things (especially the larger one I have on order) get warm and have no active cooling for themselves.

I haven't touched any clock, voltage, or TDP settings yet although I can certainly play around with them when I have time. The unit seems to be able to keep itself cool enough but the fan is on most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

etalian posted:

Yeah it was trying to do a new take on the 2-1 concept but in reality you end up getting a tablet that has worse battery life/software/performance than something dedicated like a Ipad.

The build quality is great, it's just the concept ended up making it a pretty expensive machine with some annoyances such as sky high pricing and also the gap due to the unique hinge design.

I’ll pay good money for something that fits my needs. The tablet thing would be cool for me since I do a lot of design stuff and would probably also be a fantastic way to display and read some of my academic textbooks.

I think the third iteration, with thunderbolt 3 (hopefully 4x so I can run that egpu) and maybe a little Turing gpu bump, will be the machine for me.

a neurotic ai fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 4, 2018

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Ocrassus posted:

I’ll pay good money for something that fits my needs. The tablet thing would be cool for me since I do a lot of design stuff and would probably also be a fantastic way to display and read some of my academic textbooks.

I think the third iteration, with thunderbolt 3 (hopefully 4x so I can run that egpu) and maybe a little Turing gpu bump, will be the machine for me.

I think all of this plus a screen refresh rate bump and it will be The Perfect Laptop.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

etalian posted:

The build quality is great, it's just the concept ended up making it a pretty expensive machine with some annoyances such as sky high pricing and also the gap due to the unique hinge design.

Fit and finish is good but I'm of the opinion that actual build quality doesn't become apparent until the system is a few years old.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
$1000ish gaming laptop with decent battery life, mostly for single player games like civ or stellaris while on the bolt bus or train. Seems the Helios 300 is the pick, but not sure if that's way overkill or not for that or if something has better batttery, I can always spend less.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

etalian posted:

Yeah it was trying to do a new take on the 2-1 concept but in reality you end up getting a tablet that has worse battery life/software/performance than something dedicated like a Ipad.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, its a super cool laptop.... I just would not want one for my primary computer for more than about 8 months, at which point I would be trying to sell it to buy something else that won't need any maintenance or upgrades for another year.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
It's been my daily since Nov 2017 and it's hands down my favorite laptop I've ever owned. Granted I bought the highest spec 15" SB2 but the biggest drawback then is still the biggest draw back now; price. It's a shame apple gave up on laptops but this is the closest thing I've found on the windows side for sure.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Clevo with the desktop 7400 arrived today. Using Trottlestop I was able to lower the voltage by .1 and the TDP doesn't break 45 watts under Prime, normal desktop use stays under 15 watts. The bios is extremely limited so no settings there. It almost hits 80C in Prime and mid 50s with doing desktop stuff. 40C and 3 watts while idle. Plugged in it does 3.3 GHz, unplugged it does 1.8GHz. Maybe the voltage could go lower, but it's pretty cool and stable right now. The fans are very quiet.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I wonder if there will be any spike in Laptop prices due to the Trump tarrifs?

Currently around 70% of the laptops in the world are assembled in China.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

How are external GPUs nowadays? Would it be feasible to use one with an XPS 13 or something similar?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Senor Dog posted:

How are external GPUs nowadays? Would it be feasible to use one with an XPS 13 or something similar?

The XPS 13, at least the old body style only had a 2 lane TB3 connection. It was not great in my personal experience.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

The XPS 13, at least the old body style only had a 2 lane TB3 connection. It was not great in my personal experience.
Were you trying with an external or internal display? The new (9370) xps13 supposedly has four lanes.

I wonder if the CPU thermal throttling would be a bottle neck.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

CopperHound posted:

Were you trying with an external or internal display? The new (9370) xps13 supposedly has four lanes.

I wonder if the CPU thermal throttling would be a bottle neck.

Internal, the situation I was in did not allow me to run an external. So now I have a gaming laptop and I’ve become what I hate most.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

VulgarandStupid posted:

Internal, the situation I was in did not allow me to run an external. So now I have a gaming laptop and I’ve become what I hate most.

iirc, running an eGPU back to the internal monitor is a performance hit on top of the regular performance hit for eGPUs

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

If anybody is looking for a thin and light GTX 1060 laptop, this might interest you:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234944

$1349 with coupon NENAU4 (-$150)

Not the cheapest but IIRC it's the 'fastest' of the 144hz laptop options.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Senor Dog posted:

I actually, finally, just got a[n] [working] Aorus Gaming Box 1070 (I have a lot of gadgets, unfortunately. :ohdear:)

Scott Forstall posted:

iirc, running an eGPU back to the internal monitor is a performance hit on top of the regular performance hit for eGPUs

This is true, because the TB3 link is already kind of a bottleneck to the GPU (i.e. not a deal-breaker, but quantifiable,) and then sending the output back over the same link (as well as using it for I/O like on enclosures with USB ports, Ethernet, SATA, etc.) further occupies bandwidth. So in the end, if a given system could have an internal GPU and then you compared the same setup with that GPU in an enclosure, it might have a 10% performance hit as an eGPU and say 20% if you sent the output back to the PC (numbers hypothetical for the purposes of discussion.)

That being said, I got it working on a SC NUC and a Blade Stealth; one thing I haven't figured out is exactly how to get it working perfectly with the latter, which was designed for Razer's own Core eGPU enclosure. The RBS displays the output simultaneously on the external monitor and the built-in panel, meaning of course that it's doing the loopback thing we discussed above.

More research is required! :eng101:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Atomizer posted:

This is true, because the TB3 link is already kind of a bottleneck to the GPU (i.e. not a deal-breaker, but quantifiable,) and then sending the output back over the same link (as well as using it for I/O like on enclosures with USB ports, Ethernet, SATA, etc.) further occupies bandwidth. So in the end, if a given system could have an internal GPU and then you compared the same setup with that GPU in an enclosure, it might have a 10% performance hit as an eGPU and say 20% if you sent the output back to the PC (numbers hypothetical for the purposes of discussion.)

That being said, I got it working on a SC NUC and a Blade Stealth; one thing I haven't figured out is exactly how to get it working perfectly with the latter, which was designed for Razer's own Core eGPU enclosure. The RBS displays the output simultaneously on the external monitor and the built-in panel, meaning of course that it's doing the loopback thing we discussed above.

More research is required! :eng101:

On the other hand, you've pulled the biggest heat generator out of your laptop which should help minimize throttling, and you can run a full fat GPU and upgrade it in two years without replacing the entire laptop. The latency bottleneck seems acceptable for what you're potentially gaining.

I'm definitely considering a standard thin and light for my upgrade and banking on eGPUs for gaming on it, but it does mean it's not so good as a portable gaming device if that's your primary concern (gotta lug that eGPU with you).

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

isndl posted:

On the other hand, you've pulled the biggest heat generator out of your laptop which should help minimize throttling, and you can run a full fat GPU and upgrade it in two years without replacing the entire laptop. The latency bottleneck seems acceptable for what you're potentially gaining.

I'm definitely considering a standard thin and light for my upgrade and banking on eGPUs for gaming on it, but it does mean it's not so good as a portable gaming device if that's your primary concern (gotta lug that eGPU with you).

Oh I've argued in favor of eGPUs in the appropriate scenarios before. It makes sense here, since the same GPU can be shared between multiple PCs, and the laptop is otherwise an ultraportable and can be detached for work and other productivity tasks.

The Blade Stealth, though, is a 2C4T laptop and is not only a little underpowered for some of the more demanding games, it's also quite hot under load, although otherwise I totally agree about better distributing the heat output.

Frankenfinger
May 1, 2007
Budget of under 1500 US, looking for mostly mobile 3d animation work (modeling and some rendering, hence liking the 6 core). Don't need a machine with a quadro, have that at the main office.

How's Eluktronics for quality? Are they just rebranded Sager/Clevo? Specifically looking at https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8S17GE9364&cm_re=mech-15_g2-_-2WC-000M-000X8-_-Product for potential purchase.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Looking for a laptop in the UK, budget up to £350, will only be used for coding, currently learning Python but interested in JavaScript and Web stuff as well.

Will probably only be used sat at a desk or in bed, so portability isn't a huge issue.

Might like to install a Linux flavour on it, but not that bothered.

[edit] I have a Currys / PC World nearby - this doesn't seem too bad?

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 6, 2018

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It is interesting how in roughly 2 years time you can get decent 1080 framerate on a mid level XPS 15 or Surface Book 2 15 without needing a hideous gaming laptop.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
It was suggested to go with this laptop a couple weeks ago for school: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-...acer+aspire+e15 and adding an SSD and having 8 gb of ram total ($500ish total cost).

Would I be better off with doing this instead at $600?
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-...acer+aspire+e15

Then at the $600 point, I could just go up to $700 and get an i5 Nitro? Essentially getting me a 1050 ti for $100 more? It does downgrade to a 7th gen i5 at that price point though.

I do plan to do some light gaming, but I don't want something that will be overly clunky for class. It seems that all three of these weigh in at around 5 pounds. I'm willing to spend $750 at this point, bumping up my original statement of $500. My current daily is a T420 with i5-2520M, 8 gb of ram, and an 128 SSD. The battery life is sub par, as I'm only getting around 3-4 hours with light use (battery is only 6 months old). The laptop also gets very hot when I do light gaming or have a couple tabs open. I am very pleased with the T420 at the $200 price point I paid for it, but I'd like the new laptop to be a very noticeable upgrade and a bit more capable. Can anyone help me be less indecisive about this drat purchase?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Verge calls the Huawei Matebook X Pro the The best laptop you can buy right now

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Updated trip report on Dell XPS 15 9570:

Everything is good! Getting the OS reinstalled helped out dramatically, and monitor flickering through the TB3 dock is gone after updating GPU drivers, so all issues are fixed.

My last laptop was a Broadwell-based MSI thin-and-light with a 970M. The screen was a (in retrospect) kinda garbo 1080p panel that suffered a lot of ghosting. I fired up Destiny 2 just a few minutes ago and ran through a quick public event and everything was great. Some jagged edges out there, but it looked like I was getting at-or-near 60FPS@1080p on Medium settings.

Battery life has so far been pretty un-loving-believable coming from that MSI as well. Genuinely getting 4+ hours of battery life without having to mess with battery and screen brightness has been awesome.

I was a little skeptical of the soft-touch material on the laptop, but it's been really comfortable. The keyboard is also great, and having white lights instead of RGB nonsense also owns. Fingerprint reader login has also been mostly great. Touchpad is also really good - I'm not sure if these are Windows Precision drivers, but they beat the hell out of whatever third party touchpad I had on that.

The weight is also around the same as that older MSI, gaming performance is about the same, but literally everything else is better for around the same price as that older one was. There are some scaling issues with my CAD software, but overall I am now very, very pleased with the laptop. Getting inside is also a piece of cake!

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Vital Signs posted:

It was suggested to go with this laptop a couple weeks ago for school: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-...acer+aspire+e15 and adding an SSD and having 8 gb of ram total ($500ish total cost).

Would I be better off with doing this instead at $600?
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-...acer+aspire+e15

Then at the $600 point, I could just go up to $700 and get an i5 Nitro? Essentially getting me a 1050 ti for $100 more? It does downgrade to a 7th gen i5 at that price point though.

I do plan to do some light gaming, but I don't want something that will be overly clunky for class. It seems that all three of these weigh in at around 5 pounds. I'm willing to spend $750 at this point, bumping up my original statement of $500. My current daily is a T420 with i5-2520M, 8 gb of ram, and an 128 SSD. The battery life is sub par, as I'm only getting around 3-4 hours with light use (battery is only 6 months old). The laptop also gets very hot when I do light gaming or have a couple tabs open. I am very pleased with the T420 at the $200 price point I paid for it, but I'd like the new laptop to be a very noticeable upgrade and a bit more capable. Can anyone help me be less indecisive about this drat purchase?

For 650 you can get a nitro because best buy wants to unload for some reason.

edit: can the nitro accept a second hard drive?

wargames fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 6, 2018

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

The weight is also around the same as that older MSI, gaming performance is about the same, but literally everything else is better for around the same price as that older one was. There are some scaling issues with my CAD software, but overall I am now very, very pleased with the laptop. Getting inside is also a piece of cake!

Dell also publishes manuals for common tasks such as replacing the battery.

People have also had a easy time swapping out other parts such as the WiFi card.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, it's all really excellent! I don't have much need to swap the WiFi card - I haven't had much issue with Killer products in the past, but the branding is enough to put someone off.

I'm really glad that replacing the drive is a simple task, too. One day I may upgrade to a 1TB NVME drive, but today is not that day.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

The Verge calls the Huawei Matebook X Pro the The best laptop you can buy right now

Can get the top model for $1570 CAD from the Microsoft store (if you're a parent, teacher, or student). Seems pretty decent.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

etalian posted:

It is interesting how in roughly 2 years time you can get decent 1080 framerate on a mid level XPS 15 or Surface Book 2 15 without needing a hideous gaming laptop.

Dell actually advertises the XPS 15 on Amazon as a gaming laptop

Yeah it's a glorious time to be alive. When this iteration of the thread began, we were pretty explicitly telling people to buy a gaming desktop and then an Ultrabook, how far we've come.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

wargames posted:

For 650 you can get a nitro because best buy wants to unload for some reason.

edit: can the nitro accept a second hard drive?
Everything I'm seeing says that it can. The back plate comes off and there is an empty bay for a 2.5 drive.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Bob Morales posted:

How much does a touchscreen affect battery life? I would imagine it would lower it since it needs extra hardware. Wonder if we're talking differences of tens of minutes or hours.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

How much does a touchscreen affect battery life? I would imagine it would lower it since it needs extra hardware. Wonder if we're talking differences of tens of minutes or hours.

Well the bigger killer for battery life is the 4K monitor, for the Dell XPS 15 is makes a few hour difference in battery life.

4K displays are just more power hungry compared to a lower resolution 1080 screen.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I do wish my xps 13 had better battery life, but I freaking love the qhd+ screen

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love battery life but the super HD displays are so worth it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I've said this before itt but when I got the xps13 within weeks I upgraded my desktop displays to a 1440 and a 4k because yes please

It was just hard to go back to x1080, and I'm really not a display snob, as the monitor thread people could likely vouch for re: me not giving a poo poo about 144mhz

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

144hz is kind of like SSD’s in which you get a system with one and you don’t realize what the big deal is until a week later when you use a system that doesn’t have one and it feels awful.

That being said if you have to choose between high refresh rate and high DPI and you are not a gamer, always go for higher DPI.

I think the sweet spot is 1440p at high refresh rate but sadly that never caught on with laptop displays (we already had this discussions a few pages back.)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dell XPS 9570 impressions

• Really Powerful, can handle most games at 1080 or intensive programs(Some tweaking is required)
  • 4K Screen is really great
  • Thin bezel design gives a footprint closer to 14" laptop
  • Windows precision Touchpad is pretty good overall
  • Easier to dis-assemble with just torx type screws and upgrade (No soldered RAM/SSD/WLAN,etc)
  • Dell publishes guides for common fixit tasks such as battery replacement or upgrading RAM
  • Completive overall weight with similar laptops (4.25 lbs)
  • Recharge time from empty 98WH battery is around 2 hours, fast due to charger being 130W

Dislikes
  • Black carbon fiber tends to attract skin oil and needs regular cleaning
  • Some fan noise craziness out of the box, updating to the latest Dell BIOS seemed to help
  • Webcam placement is annoying tradeoff for thin bezels
  • Touchpad still falls a bit short of the mac glass touchpad
  • 4K Screen is the ultra-glossy finish which makes it annoying to use outside and also has worse battery life vs UHD

etalian fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 8, 2018

Aaod
May 29, 2004
Anyone have negative opinions on the thinkpad T480s series of laptops?

Aaod fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 8, 2018

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Having used my new 4k 9570 for a few days, the one issue I've noticed is occasional choppiness when scrolling through long webpages. The choppiness happened both when scrolling with the trackpad and with the touchscreen. I did some searching, and the solution I found appears to work.

The solution was to uninstall the dell-provided graphics drivers from the device manager, reboot, and then install the drivers downloaded directly from intel.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27847/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=80939

Scrolling seems to be smooth now. If any of you xps15 people are having the same issue, I would recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

etalian posted:

Dell XPS 9570 impressions

just watched a review on youtube and it looks solid. what did you use previously?