Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

can someone quickly explain to me what 7nm, Euv, Intel's processes, etc. are so I can be up to speed here? I'm an idiot software guy who doesn't know much about silicon

7 nautical miles and extremely under-valued

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

what a lovely snipe

anyway 7nm supposedly refers to the size of the smallest feature you can create on a chip, so a "7nm" process can create features (like a wire or a piece of transistor or w/e) as small as 7nm wide. it sounds like the term has decoupled from meaning that now though and is a marketing thing instead so who knows anymore.

EUV is extreme-ultraviolet, the range of UV light that stretches from just over 100nm to 10nm in wavelength. having a smaller wavelength of light means you can make smaller features, but EUV is super tricky to deal with since it's basically soft x-rays and likes to ionize stuff and not behave like normal light

idk the specifics behind intel's process but it sounds like they can get similar performance out of their "10nm" process as other vendors claim to get out of their "7nm", but their 10nm production line is still working out the kinks and probably won't be fully operational until next year.

e: to be clear afaik nobody's using EUV yet in production because nobody's been able to do it on an industrial scale despite years of work, but it's expected that getting any smaller than the state of the art now will require it (or something else like the electron beam etching someone mentioned) sooner or later, and probably sooner

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 4, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

it's fun to think about because a single atom of silicon is ~0.2nm so we're already at the point where creating these chips has to be done to a precision of plus or minus tens of atoms

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ate all the Oreos posted:

it's fun to think about because a single atom of silicon is ~0.2nm so we're already at the point where creating these chips has to be done to a precision of plus or minus tens of atoms

isn't there a fairly hard limit on how small we can shrink this stuff because below a certain size quantum effects start to gently caress things up?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

isn't there a fairly hard limit on how small we can shrink this stuff because below a certain size quantum effects start to gently caress things up?

quantum poo poo loving poo poo up started like 30 years ago

tunnelling in specific has only become a huge problem recently, sure

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 4, 2018

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
but other vendors have 7nm processes which are equivalent to Intel's 10nm today? ones that don't require Euv?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

but other vendors have 7nm processes which are equivalent to Intel's 10nm today? ones that don't require Euv?

yeah. they are coming out later this year, whereas intel's 10nm has been delayed to sometime next year.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
ok not sure why people were saying that other 7nm processes would require euv then

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

because intel's 7nm is likely to be euv. basically the upcoming die shrinks are likely the lasts ones to use 193nm photolithography. if this die shrink has been really late for intel, then the next one will be extra late.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

please stop asking questions about my weiner

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Suspicious Dish posted:

ok not sure why people were saying that other 7nm processes would require euv then

because as someone else pointed out above what other companies are calling "7nm" really isn't what would be called the 7nm process node.

basically _nm used to refer to the width of the transistor gate across the silicon making up the active region of the transistor despite features in a chip often being smaller than that (when I worked a ~51nm part had several deep contacts which were only 25-30nm wide at the bottom).

with the introduction of the finfet (where the gate goes up and over a fin of silicon) gate width was no longer an easy consistent measurement and every company came up with what they deemed an equivalent way to measure density and went with that. but for companies building chips for others like TSMC there is intense pressure to be the smallest and pretty much everyone but intel went with measures which are at the very edge of credibility.

it's a bit like how Tesla claims a particular model of their car has something like 800hp by adding together the horsepower of the front and rear drive motors despite the assembled car lacking the ability to drive both motors at peak horsepower simultaneously.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
intel does what tsmcan't

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Suspicious Dish posted:

because the foundries have claimed they will use euv for some layers at the 7nm node. it’s from their own announcements, though recently they seem to be delaying it and saying they’ll initially have larger transistors on “7nm” or an intermediary “8nm” using 193i quad patterning, with euv coming later for the “real 7nm” or a “7nm+” node.

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/7_nm_lithography_process

quote:

TSMC plans to introduce a second improved process called 7nm+ a year later which will introduce some layers processed with EUVL

quote:

Samsung will use EUVL for their 7nm node and thus will be the first to introduce this new technology after more than a decade of development. On May 24 2017, Samsung released a press release of their updated roadmap. Due to delays in the introduction of EUVL, Samsung will introduce a new process called 8nm

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
not every layer has super small feature sizes, so not all of them would require double/quad patterning or euv.

if features are too small and next to each other, interference fringes / diffraction from the 193nm light can ruin nearby features. here is a good illustration if double patterning

quad patterning works in a similar way, but requires you use 4 photolithography steps, which increases risk of misprocess and decreases throughput even more than double patterning. these techniques require not only extra photolithography steps, but also deposition and (eventually) removal of a bunch of sacrificial layers that eat up fab capacity at etch and deposition steps, so multiple patterning really adds up in terms of slowing a fab down.

it is the desire to move away from this that motivates the transition to euv.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

not every layer has super small feature sizes, so not all of them would require double/quad patterning or euv.

if features are too small and next to each other, interference fringes / diffraction from the 193nm light can ruin nearby features. here is a good illustration if double patterning

quad patterning works in a similar way, but requires you use 4 photolithography steps, which increases risk of misprocess and decreases throughput even more than double patterning. these techniques require not only extra photolithography steps, but also deposition and (eventually) removal of a bunch of sacrificial layers that eat up fab capacity at etch and deposition steps, so multiple patterning really adds up in terms of slowing a fab down.

it is the desire to move away from this that motivates the transition to euv.

as someone who was in charge of overlay/layer-alignment metrology I am so loving glad I got out before my equipment had to deal with that bullshit.

fun tidbit for those that like such things: it is possible to measure misalignment between two layers to sub-nanometer precision using an optical microscope operating using visible light

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 4, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jabor posted:

how many times does it take before cities figure out that the promise of "lots of shiny tech jobs" just means lots of techies moving in and pushing up rents, and the people actually living there aren't going to see a dime?

also the gigafactory is, uh, a factory, not a "tech job", and also it's supposed to be like 99% automated with one guy with an ipad walking around checking displays

infernal machines posted:

how about the "your brakes may not actually work initially, on account of we skipped the finishing step to wear off all the poo poo on the pads and mate them properly to the rotors" part?

it is literally unbelievable that they aren't bedding in the brakes. can't wait for that first test drive "whooooo look at how fast this thing accelerates! well, time to stop" and you only have 20% of braking force available

what if we treated manufacturing like google treats code?

FOR SALE: 2018 tesla model 3 v0.9.2.4921 (build 2de651ac) i know what i have, this is the one you want, with the extra spot welds and superior early-model upper control arms! no lowballers

i love that they have time for monkey cheese bullshit but not preventing the lane assist and cruise control from accelerating into stationary objects

they have already given up on the autopilot hth

lomarf i'd never seen the internal mechanism for the door handles. that's like an order of magnitude worse than i was expecting. gear motors? microswitches on both sides? unsealed circuit boards? holky gently caress

note that there is no mechanical connection to the door latch at all. you press it in and a switch detects that you pressed it and pushes the handle out, and then you pull it and another switch electronically pops the latch. this entire loving mechanism could be replaced with an undercut in the sheet metal (you don't want sticky-outy handles for drag reduction, i get it) and a solid-state touch sensor. but that wouldn't give you a brief nerdgasm when you walk up to your car and the door handles pop out now, would it. holy poo poo. it's like a loving movie prop

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

also the gigafactory is, uh, a factory, not a "tech job", and also it's supposed to be like 99% automated with one guy with an ipad walking around checking displays
data centers are another good example. watching hick communities starve their schools and roads in order to land a billion-dollar facility that ends up providing only a handful of jobs is always funny

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lol that door handle is ridiculous. the whole car is built that way it seems, every piece being a comedy of errors

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
having worked at chip fabs, id say a factory has mostly tech jobs these days. you aren’t writing a fart app but you probably have a large factory automation dept, insanely large and fast databases for collecting data monitored during manufacturing steps, and a bunch of engineers. you also have maintenance techs and maybe some assemblers who are doing less highly skilled work, but most of it is engineering, programming, and IT.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
one of the biggest advantages electric cars have over internal combustion is that they possess far fewer systems and moving parts and should therefore be much easier and simpler and cheaper to build, which should give tesla a huge comparative advantage over the fords and toyotas of the world

that is, so long as they dont find brand new ways to make other parts of the car unnecessarily complicated and difficult and expensive to manufacture and prone to failure

elon, you dumb rear end in a top hat

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i suppose that means they ought to break down less frequently too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FMguru posted:

data centers are another good example. watching hick communities starve their schools and roads in order to land a billion-dollar facility that ends up providing only a handful of jobs is always funny

Data Centers are warehouses and the weird ones to me because they're these massive buildings that look impressive but at the end of the day they're still filled with machines or inventory and only employ like a couple dozen people tops.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

having worked at chip fabs, id say a factory has mostly tech jobs these days. you aren’t writing a fart app but you probably have a large factory automation dept, insanely large and fast databases for collecting data monitored during manufacturing steps, and a bunch of engineers. you also have maintenance techs and maybe some assemblers who are doing less highly skilled work, but most of it is engineering, programming, and IT.

"having worked at literally the highest technology manufacturing systems on the entire planet, i think that most factory workers are techies," he said. "i mean, who's going to run the ion implanters?"

like yes factories are highly automated these days but a chip fab is more like a physics lab inside an operating theater and the gigafactory is a glorified cannery

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

gigafactory is a glorified cannery

who’s the upton sinclair of our day? we need to get them in there.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

one of the biggest advantages electric cars have over internal combustion is that they possess far fewer systems and moving parts and should therefore be much easier and simpler and cheaper to build, which should give tesla a huge comparative advantage over the fords and toyotas of the world

that is, so long as they dont find brand new ways to make other parts of the car unnecessarily complicated and difficult and expensive to manufacture and prone to failure

elon, you dumb rear end in a top hat

i take a cab to work every day and i usually end up with this guy driving a prius and we just cartalk always

i love the midwestern guy

he seriously wants to have his cab company trade up to muskrats

but he would never own one, he prefers his F350

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Data Centers are warehouses and the weird ones to me because they're these massive buildings that look impressive but at the end of the day they're still filled with machines or inventory and only employ like a couple dozen people tops.

i think part of the disconnect is that the number of people needed to build either of them is far larger than the number of people needed to operate them, and i wouldn't be surprised to learn that the pitches include construction in their "number of jobs created" propaganda figures.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

bob dobbs is dead posted:

quantum poo poo loving poo poo up started like 30 years ago

tunnelling in specific has only become a huge problem recently, sure

I’d like to know more about this.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Midjack posted:

i think part of the disconnect is that the number of people needed to build either of them is far larger than the number of people needed to operate them, and i wouldn't be surprised to learn that the pitches include construction in their "number of jobs created" propaganda figures.

correct, see the keystone xl job projections, something like 3000 short term construction jobs, 30 permanent jobs

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
my understanding is that data centers are pretty ok, actually. they have fairly low permanent staffing needs but they also create a fairly reliable stream of contract work for e.g. hvac and electrical support, and they draw a steady flow of visitors and shipping and so on. also they tend to be in towns where a few dozen steady jobs is a pretty big deal. doesn’t really excuse the corporate welfare, especially not at nevada/tesla levels, but i can understand why you might put effort into luring one

also all construction jobs are short-term

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

rjmccall posted:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hahaha

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lmao

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

:vince:

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

XD

also

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

rjmccall posted:

my understanding is that data centers are pretty ok, actually. they have fairly low permanent staffing needs but they also create a fairly reliable stream of contract work for e.g. hvac and electrical support, and they draw a steady flow of visitors and shipping and so on. also they tend to be in towns where a few dozen steady jobs is a pretty big deal. doesn’t really excuse the corporate welfare, especially not at nevada/tesla levels, but i can understand why you might put effort into luring one

In my area of the Inland Empire just outside of LA, we've become the warehouse capital of the US. They're planning on building the largest warehouse complex in the world here soon

quote:

The World Logistics Center, planned by a company called Highland Fairview, would be the largest such facility in the country, covering 2,610 acres—the size of 700 football fields. It would be more than 25 times bigger than the largest warehouse in the United States, a 98-acre hangar operated in Washington by the airplane manufacturer Boeing.

There's a lot of opposition because it would being a ton of diesel traffic to already one of the worst area for air quality in the entire US

But the worst part is that they built a huge Sketchers warehouse a number of years ago at the prototype of this type of complex would be feasable, whether the travel time and location would work for port traffic and distribution.

The opening of this warehouse resulted in a net loss of 400 jobs as they shutter all the small warehouses into this giant complex.

quote:

Skechers’ massive distribution center in Moreno Valley was supposed to provide a refreshing boost to the job market in a city that badly needed one.

But apparently the opening of the 1.8 million-square-foot facility four months ago created few, if any job opportunities for would-be workers in Moreno Valley and the surrounding area.

In fact, the closing of Skechers’ five distribution centers in Ontario when the shoe manufacturer consolidated its distribution operations meant a net loss of as many as 400 jobs in Inland Southern California.

Warehouses suck.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a good way to murder a small town's businesses are to put a walmart in

a good way to murder a small town's population is to put a walmart distribution center in

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

as someone who was in charge of overlay/layer-alignment metrology I am so loving glad I got out before my equipment had to deal with that bullshit.

fun tidbit for those that like such things: it is possible to measure misalignment between two layers to sub-nanometer precision using an optical microscope operating using visible light

got any hot tips on how i can align the front and the back masks of my homemade circuit boards? i always think i have them aligned and they come out half a mm apart or more :argh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

it is literally unbelievable that they aren't bedding in the brakes. can't wait for that first test drive "whooooo look at how fast this thing accelerates! well, time to stop" and you only have 20% of braking force available

FOR SALE: 2018 tesla model 3 v0.9.2.4921 (build 2de651ac) i know what i have, this is the one you want, with the extra spot welds and superior early-model upper control arms! no lowballers

they have already given up on the autopilot hth

lomarf i'd never seen the internal mechanism for the door handles. that's like an order of magnitude worse than i was expecting. gear motors? microswitches on both sides? unsealed circuit boards? holky gently caress

note that there is no mechanical connection to the door latch at all. you press it in and a switch detects that you pressed it and pushes the handle out, and then you pull it and another switch electronically pops the latch. this entire loving mechanism could be replaced with an undercut in the sheet metal (you don't want sticky-outy handles for drag reduction, i get it) and a solid-state touch sensor. but that wouldn't give you a brief nerdgasm when you walk up to your car and the door handles pop out now, would it. holy poo poo. it's like a loving movie prop

im the door handle firmware that has to be programmed for your car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

:hmmyes: