Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Soulex posted:

It is a really good series that Hell on Wheels

Thank you for my new binge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

shame on an IGA posted:

That is literally the opposite of reassuring. How is this not casus belli?

Because the world can’t afford a war right now

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

shame on an IGA posted:

Russians donate a lot of money to conservative MPs

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Russians donate a lot of money to conservative MPs

And a lot of Russian money laundering is run through British real estate investments.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Sure but that just means Whedon stole a style he liked blended it with Cowboy Bebop and ran with it. Assuming that idiot thought any deeper about where those Western tropes came from is really stretching it.

Judging from the lost cause treatment of a show that got cancelled after one season I'd say plenty of fans took the comparison to heart.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Judging from the lost cause treatment of a show that got cancelled after one season I'd say plenty of fans took the comparison to heart.

It was a fun show that probably deserved at least a second season but beyond that I don't think it was groundbreaking

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

FAUXTON posted:

It was treated like a lost cause by fox on its debut. They ran the episodes out of order (started with episode 2, ran the pilot after), changed the schedule for new episodes, and didn't run 3 of the episodes.

Firefly didn't get a fair shake off the start, but it probably wouldn't have lasted like fanboys would've hoped.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
If anything it owes its rabid fanbase to how it was treated. Had it aired normally it would've lasted 2 - 3 seasons tops and been a relatively fun if mediocre show. Having the show aired out of order and then cancelled made it all the more enticing for fans to latch onto.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

shame on an IGA posted:

Reassuring in the sense that the clean-up and decontamination was successful, and that this is an isolated and targeted event, and not a "whoops, we hosed up and missed a spot and let folks get exposed" moment.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It was treated like a lost cause by fox on its debut. They ran the episodes out of order (started with episode 2, ran the pilot after), changed the schedule for new episodes, and didn't run 3 of the episodes.

Firefly didn't get a fair shake off the start, but it probably wouldn't have lasted like fanboys would've hoped.

Fox was right about Family Guy the first time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

You don’t have to use a CB when you get one.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It was fun and had a fun cast. Ending it early made for a pretty good movie at least.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

From Reddit

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1014512753896239104

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:same:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

holy poo poo i forgot pagers still exist

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

gently caress Firefly, Space Above and Beyond should've gotten a second season :colbert:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

holy poo poo i forgot pagers still exist

They're ubiquitous within hospitals

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The boondock saints is on Netflix just a little PSA people and it's amazing but Mr. Defoe listens to a Walkman cd player on his loving belt and holy loving poo poo I'm old bc I know what that is

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Waroduce posted:

The boondock saints is on Netflix just a little PSA people and it's amazing but Mr. Defoe listens to a Walkman cd player on his loving belt and holy loving poo poo I'm old bc I know what that is

I mean CD players were still big into the mid 2000s. So uh, 15 years ago? gently caress, I'm old too.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I remember a dumb gently caress in my boot bought a discman and the 50 cent album from someone for way more money than was reasonable so he could listen to in da club a few times before drills took that poo poo to the blackhole of contraband. That was 2003. Ipods didn't take off until 2004/5.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Counterpoint: "The Train Job" was a vastly better choice for a first episode than the leaden, exposition-heavy "Serenity Valley." On this one point, Fox was right and Whedon was wrong.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bolow posted:

gently caress Firefly

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

The Sony discman with the 1 hour skip protection was so rad, it owned being able to walk to school with my cds

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Get Rich or Die Trying was the first CD I purchased for myself and owned. I was in like 8th grade or something it was amazing and one of my favorite albums of all time my parents didn't know what the gently caress was going on but that's what happens when you're one of six white kids on the football team.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I liked firefly but man, whedon’s whole magical fey waif thing is really hard to take and it’s shocking it took that dude so long to get metoo’d

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1011020850848583680

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
So many heads are being collected under #metoo that I don't even know who isn't a piece of poo poo anymore.

Madurai, you're right that train job was a lighter, better premiere, but it slammed everyone two hours ahead in the storyline and definitely didn't do any favors to keeping it on the air.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 5, 2018

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

So many heads are being collected under #metoo that I don't even know who isn't a piece of poo poo anymore.

Mr rogers

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If it turns out Mr. Rogers has skeletons hanging in his closet, I wouldn't be suprised in the slightest anymore.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

This is humanity you're talking about. Probably none of them.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
gently caress Firefly. gently caress Joss Whedon. Stop defending his garbage.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

If it turns out Mr. Rogers has skeletons hanging in his closet, I wouldn't be suprised in the slightest anymore.

I feel the same way about Mr Rogers as I do about Ken Griffey Jr and steroids. He managed to emerge from that era without any accusations and if he had any I would cry.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

gently caress Firefly. gently caress Joss Whedon. Stop defending his garbage.

Someone still mad about Angel?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I fully expected with Robert Downey junior's early drug rampage lifestyle that there would've been something come out by now. But I suppose when you have to share a bang pad in Queens with Michael Keaton because of all the women lining up to gently caress you you ain't got time to harass/assault anyone.

Keanu Reeves has remained clean so far, thankfully. That would be a solid disappointment.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Someone still mad about Angel?

If by Angel you mean Alien Resurrection, then yes.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Portable cd players before skip protection. :(

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Soulex posted:

It is a really good series that Hell on Wheels

Hell yes, it is. The Swede is drat near perfect as a villain.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If by Angel you mean Alien Resurrection, then yes.

fair but don't poo poo on firefly i love my dumb space cowboy show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1014466448083898368?s=19

Yeah, go give your local chud hug and a knife in the back

• Locked thread