Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

FrozenVent posted:

It’s about 4 kilometres from the entrance, with long chunks of that flooded. Piping anything in would be a challenge.

Ouch.

Just pipe in some nitrogen and save them the suffering.

edit: That sounds extraordinarily cruel. I hope they make it out so the parents can beat the coach's rear end.

a mysterious cloak has a new favorite as of 20:39 on Jul 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Solice Kirsk posted:

They better change their team name to The Morlocks after this.

If they eat someone they can be The CHUDs

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Aesop Poprock posted:

That’s a long loving way just for walking and crawling through a cave. What the gently caress was the coach thinking first off, and how the hell do you even make that underwater?? Kudos to the coach for presumably keeping the kids together and alive but that sounds like a terrible idea even if the cave wasn’t flooded
You're assuming they went that far before things flooded. I think it's likely they were trying to stay in air pockets as it flooded.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
they went in when the cave was dry. it rained, flooded, and trapped them. all of this is in the article.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

In other horrifying "brains are fucky" news, this happened again: http://kpic.com/news/local/police-child-left-unattended-in-vehicle-dies-roseburg-woman-arrested :smith:

The Washington Post had an outstanding article about these deaths about a decade back now https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...m=.ebc6ad662b7e Everyone thinks they could/would never forget their own child until it happens.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's not the face of someone I would see any point in sending to prison.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
We had a similar case in Quebec last week, don’t know if the father was arrested or not, but it was being discussed.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
I doubt there's anything you could do to her right now that could punish her more than she is punishing herself.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Pick posted:

That's not the face of someone I would see any point in sending to prison.

I have about 300 book-in photos in my filing cabinet and that one is sadder than like 298 of them. I remember that long article talking about the swiss cheese model. The holes line up and everything falls through and tragic accidents happen.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, sending these parents to jail is... Just counter productive.
It wasn't negligence like keeping your child in their crib 24/7 until their bedsores cause a blood infection.
It isn't abuse like whacking them with a towel rack until their skull fractures and sends bone shards into their brain.

It's a horrible, horrible mistake caused by monkey brains being terrible autopilots in some cases.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Sometimes it's like that dude from Georgia that had a search history full of, "how long for a dog to die in a hot car" though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah but if this lady is a nurse practitioner then 10/10 she is just overworked.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Untrustable posted:

Sometimes it's like that dude from Georgia that had a search history full of, "how long for a dog to die in a hot car" though.
Yeah this turned out to be bullshit. There was a claim in the search warrant that he admitted to an officer that he looked up child deaths in cars. This same warrant claims his wife said she looked it up as well. This for some reason was never presented at trial and his search history showed he was looking up family trips and cruises. He called a link to the childfree reddit gross. He did look up surviving jail but that's probably because he was banging an underage girl.

He did watch some vet video about heat effects on animals twice but it seemed like a random thing that he came across not someone researching how to murder a child in a car.

Not to say he was a good guy he's a total sleaze that was cheating on his wife with an underage girl but there's pretty much zero proof he killed his kid on purpose. It's clear the cops made stuff up to beef up their search warrant and the media took that and ran with it.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pirate Radar posted:

Unnerving: you’re the victim of a horrific assault. At a meeting with the SVU cop in charge of investigating your case, he basically blows off doing his job and, oh yeah, asks how much you’d charge to blow him.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/armed-cops-forced-domestic-violence-victims-to-make-naked-catfight-sex-videos-lawsuit-claims?ref=home

He died earlier this year, but lawyers for people he abused are zeroing in on how much the department knew about what he was doing.

wow cops taking advantage of victims and abusing them? this is unprecedented

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Darkhold posted:

Yeah this turned out to be bullshit. There was a claim in the search warrant that he admitted to an officer that he looked up child deaths in cars. This same warrant claims his wife said she looked it up as well. This for some reason was never presented at trial and his search history showed he was looking up family trips and cruises. He called a link to the childfree reddit gross. He did look up surviving jail but that's probably because he was banging an underage girl.

He did watch some vet video about heat effects on animals twice but it seemed like a random thing that he came across not someone researching how to murder a child in a car.

Not to say he was a good guy he's a total sleaze that was cheating on his wife with an underage girl but there's pretty much zero proof he killed his kid on purpose. It's clear the cops made stuff up to beef up their search warrant and the media took that and ran with it.
A podcast named Break Down had a whole season about the trial. He should not be in jail for killing his son.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Kanine posted:

wow cops taking advantage of victims and abusing them? this is unprecedented

Yeah, I know, it's just still happening and still relevant to this thread.

Also the "making them fight" thing is kind of unusual to say the least.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

13Pandora13 posted:

Everyone thinks they could/would never forget their own child until it happens.

I loving wish I could think like that. Instead I'm so haunted by the concept that I spend every car trip with my daughter having a low-level panic attack.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Sarcopenia posted:

A podcast named Break Down had a whole season about the trial. He should not be in jail for killing his son.
That's interesting I might look it up. I just remember reading about his trial and wondering why it was all about the infidelity and no mention of the search history when that seemed to be every headline previously. Saw like one or two sites talking about what was actually presented at trial.

Guess nobody really wants to go to bat for a guy that did the actual things he did though. Can't say it's a hill I'd die on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Can I just cry a bit? It feels appropriate.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jail isn't the nicest place for people that killed kids. I think there should be some sort of punishment (maybe probation or something), but jail just feels a little too cruel for a grieving parent.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Jail isn't the nicest place for people that killed kids. I think there should be some sort of punishment (maybe probation or something), but jail just feels a little too cruel for a grieving parent.

what purpose would probation serve? losing your kid to your own negligence is already a far worse punishment than community service, punishment by the state will do nothing to prevent future accidents, and if the parents did a murder instead of it being a tragic incident of how human brains work then probation isn't justice in that case either. like either probation is too much or too little punishment and i dont see what the point would be beyond "i feel a deep need to punish somebody in some way"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Solice Kirsk posted:

Her child is gone forever because of her. What other punishment is needed? What other punishment would even register?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Why does she need to be punished anyway? Revenge?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, you guys are right. If these incidents are proved to be an accident then any sentence would just be petty.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

13Pandora13 posted:

In other horrifying "brains are fucky" news, this happened again: http://kpic.com/news/local/police-child-left-unattended-in-vehicle-dies-roseburg-woman-arrested :smith:

The Washington Post had an outstanding article about these deaths about a decade back now https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...m=.ebc6ad662b7e Everyone thinks they could/would never forget their own child until it happens.

Car death is the new putting your infant up on a hill for the scavengers.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

I loving wish I could think like that. Instead I'm so haunted by the concept that I spend every car trip with my daughter having a low-level panic attack.

Unfortunately I imagine there's little chance that a constant state of anxiety about it could decrease the chance that it happens. I try to be mindful about it and to make it a habit to check every time consciously, though even that can be prone to failure I'm sure.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I liked the idea of having a little dongle you put on your kid and if you get X number of feet away it alerts you by phone or something. Could be handy just in general.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

FrozenVent posted:

Why does she need to be punished anyway? Revenge?

Yes, that's how America's justice system usually operates.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, you guys are right. If these incidents are proved to be an accident then any sentence would just be petty.

Right sentiment, but the burden is for the the state to prove it was deliberate. You can’t “prove” an accident, you can only show the evidence doesn’t support it being deliberate.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Solice Kirsk posted:

I liked the idea of having a little dongle you put on your kid and if you get X number of feet away it alerts you by phone or something. Could be handy just in general.

The downside is becoming dependent on this. One day the battery dies, it malfunctions, your service plan lapses, it goes off erroneously and you learn to ignore it, etc. There's a ton of products on the market to help prevent these deaths but nothing is a guaranteed fix.

A shoe in the back seat is the free and dirty method but again, nothing is "swiss cheese" proof.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Even if you don't have your kid make it a habit to go into the backset leave your ID card to get into work there or your energy drink or whatever poo poo you somehow find more important than your child and then you'll check it every time

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Darkhold posted:

In this case I'm okay with him being in jail.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
He needs to be in jail on those charges, not the death of his child. One is justice, one is not.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Looks like West Mesa still has secrets buried there.

http://www.koat.com/article/human-remains-found-could-have-ties-to-infamous-west-mesa-murders/22039579

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Pvt.Scott posted:

I remember a time when I’d page through my father’s medical journals during breakfast before grade school. Despite my parents keeping a very tight grip on my media consumption, I still managed to render myself mostly immune to gore and body horror. My teachers were always concerned about my extremely violent doodles in class. I was just like, “that’s what would happen if a ninja turtle actually sliced you with a sword.” (I was really into the cartoon and the kid-friendly comics for TMNT) I didn’t see what the big deal was. :shrug:

I still page through my dad’s medical journals occasionally. Nothing like a torn scrotum to start your day!

I developed a similar fascination with medical books after I had chicken pox in 2nd grade, but most of the photos were too disturbing for me. My mom let me read them as much as I wanted because this was clearly a sign I was going to grow up to be a brilliant, rich doctor (spoiler: I didn't). There was this one American Medical Association family medical guide that had all the horrifying pictures in a small section right in the middle, and after I scared myself by accidentally flipping to those too many times, my mom cut those pages out and stuck them in a drawer somewhere.

Almost a decade later, our neighbors had a kid who was entering school, and they asked my mom if she had any old school supplies she could give them... aaaand that's how this poor kindergartner ended up with a folder full of disgusting medical photos.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I hope this hasn't been posted before, I can't keep track of what caves this thread has and hasn't talked about, but boy! Do I ever hate the video on this one!

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Back in 1974, a young woman was found murdered in the Stanford University campus church with an ice pick embedded in the back of her head and a three foot long candlestick in her vagina. There have been a shitton of speculation throughout the years, ranging from a satanic cult being involved to her husband (unrelated but he later became a psychologist who worked with traumatized children) or a flutist who was seen in the church on the night of her murder. The truth is far simpler. Earlier this week, a more advanced DNA test proved that the murderer was the campus security guard who discovered her body. Unfortunately(?), he killed himself when the cops showed up to arrest him.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/06/28/sheriff-suspect-in-infamous-1974-stanford-chapel-murder-shoots-self-as-detectives-close-in/

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Woah, I'd heard about that one. Amazing it's been solved.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mysteries getting solved left and right this year. I still wish that DB Cooper one had been real and not some crazy person divining tea leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Solice Kirsk posted:

Mysteries getting solved left amnd right this year. I still wish that DB Cooper one had been real and not some crazy person divining tea leaves.

:eyepop: