Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Doing a new run of this game as Fisty Slammo, dual cestus wielder extraordinaire. Have them at +8 and +7, level 50ish, and I kill knights in the iron keep in half a stamina bar. Never stop fisting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ulio posted:

You can cheese the jester. He does a taunt when he "invades" you. If you attack him it will cancel his taunt and he will keep trying to do it. He won't attack you until he has done the emote.

I am loving the dlc more than the best game. I am at the frozen last one.

Not if you start shooting him with arrows. He didn't even do the taunt once, he just instantly started slinging fire at me because I was apparently a dishonorable jerk. That said it's good to know for the next time I drag my rear end through there.

Does the DLC affect the ending in any way or is just more thematically appropriate to do it before beating the game?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

DrNutt posted:

Does the DLC affect the ending in any way or is just more thematically appropriate to do it before beating the game?

No, you can still get both endings whether or not you beat the DLC.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Djeser posted:

No, you can still get both endings whether or not you beat the DLC.

Oh yeah, I fought the extra boss and got the ending choice, I wondered more about dialogue or anything like that, since he explicitly calls out the DLC characters in the ending and I hadn't played the DLC through yet.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

DrNutt posted:

Oh yeah, I fought the extra boss and got the ending choice, I wondered more about dialogue or anything like that, since he explicitly calls out the DLC characters in the ending and I hadn't played the DLC through yet.

Make sure to talk to Vendrick after completing the DLCs. He has things to say about the other kings.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
And the ending unlocked by the new final boss makes a certain amount of extra sense after completing all the dlcs and talking to Vendrick.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Does anyone else play this on the Xbone? Servers were down this am and apparently are still down. Can't find any info on Namco/Bandai support page. There's a server status page with zero info. I started a playthrough on PC and it appears those servers are doing fine.

Just trying to figure out if it might be a network issue on my end or if it's actually the servers. It was working fine earlier this week though.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Me, beating the base game: "Hooray I did it I'm good at Dark Souls!"
Me, wiping repeatedly to Elana the Squalid Queen: :stare: DEAD!
Me, wiping repeatedly to Sinh the Slumbering Dragon: :stonk: DEAD!
Me, zoning in once to the hollowed adventurers: :smithicide: DEAD!

I feel like I kinda cheated on the three hollows. I got a backstab on the Havel looking fucker down in the tunnels and everyone just stopped moving. He got back up and politely waited for me to backstab him again, killing him. After that it got real easy.

They're All Dead Now! Sunken King DLC is good and fun and definitely a step up from Nashandra/Aldia.

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 4, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

DrNutt posted:

Does anyone else play this on the Xbone? Servers were down this am and apparently are still down. Can't find any info on Namco/Bandai support page. There's a server status page with zero info. I started a playthrough on PC and it appears those servers are doing fine.

Just trying to figure out if it might be a network issue on my end or if it's actually the servers. It was working fine earlier this week though.

Down since last night, yup

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 28, 2021

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Not if you start shooting him with arrows. He didn't even do the taunt once, he just instantly started slinging fire at me because I was apparently a dishonorable jerk. That said it's good to know for the next time I drag my rear end through there.

Ya I normally don't cheese but he was really far from the next bonfire so I said gently caress it.

Bogart posted:

Oh, I know. I've platted this game twice. ;) Dude is still able to gently caress you up, and it feels like a drat betrayal after cooping Mytha as many times as I did.

Ivory king has the best set piece in the game imo. Tip for the new player: once the nature of the map changes, explore it all again from the start.

Is Souls trophies/achievements decent? I did Demon Souls back on PS3 and you had to get 10+ on every type of weapon. That was so loving annoying.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Most of the Souls games have at least one dickass achievement. In Dark Souls, you had to collect every single unique weapon, which requires at least NG++ because you need three Soul of Sifs. In Dark Souls 2, you've got to get every spell, and there's one which you can only find as a covenant reward, as well as a couple others you have to get to NG++ to get if you don't get them from their respective covenants. In Dark Souls 3, you've got to get every ring and each individual +1 and +2 variant counts, and those only spawn in NG+ and NG++.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Also you need every spell in 3, which involves maxing out covenants, some of which take forever.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ulio posted:

Ya I normally don't cheese but he was really far from the next bonfire so I said gently caress it.

Is Souls trophies/achievements decent? I did Demon Souls back on PS3 and you had to get 10+ on every type of weapon. That was so loving annoying.

Bloodborne is the only Soulsborne game with a reasonable set of achievements, and even that requires you to waste your time with the chalice bullshit.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

are the manikin or regular claws any fun and good?

double nine fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 4, 2018

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Oh sad to hear the achievements are still so repetitious in their nature.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

double nine posted:

are the manikin or regular claws any fun and good?

Eh.
The claws are basically fisticuffs weapon for dex chars. Look kind of cool on a ninja character, but the damage type and poise is underwhelming.
Most folks would go with a poison infusion to inflict both poison and bleed buildup. (Interesting for low level pvp).

Manikin are same-ish. More even spread for quality chars and no bleed aux effect. Beh.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I played with the Claws a bit a while ago, and they are not great, yeah. You can pretty reliably bleed things if you infuse them with it, wear the Blood covenant ring and the Shadow Gauntlets, but their actual damage is not good. That means they're totally useless against bosses, especially compared to Caesti which just deal a lot of damage in general AND it's a damage type most bosses are weak to.

Add to that the fact that Bleed just isn't that good to begin with in DS2, and you get something that's fun to try for an hour, but definitely not a build that'll be it for an entire playthrough. Unless you've done literally everything else and want a themed challenge, of course. But then you can use anything.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Yeah, claws are extremely fragile, even for Dark Souls 2 weapons. The moveset is neat, and they quickly build up statuses, but there are much better weapons for bleeding or poisoning enemies. Personally I recommend power stancing Notched Whips. Those things are powerful once you get used to the attack delay and they cause bleeding like nobody's business.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Ulio posted:

Oh sad to hear the achievements are still so repetitious in their nature.

I got all the achievements in Dark Souls 2 and it burned me out real bad for it. By the time I was done I had 160 hours on a single character

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Fifteen of Many posted:

Me, beating the base game: "Hooray I did it I'm good at Dark Souls!"
Me, wiping repeatedly to Elana the Squalid Queen: :stare: DEAD!
Me, wiping repeatedly to Sinh the Slumbering Dragon: :stonk: DEAD!
Me, zoning in once to the hollowed adventurers: :smithicide: DEAD!

I feel like I kinda cheated on the three hollows. I got a backstab on the Havel looking fucker down in the tunnels and everyone just stopped moving. He got back up and politely waited for me to backstab him again, killing him. After that it got real easy.

They're All Dead Now! Sunken King DLC is good and fun and definitely a step up from Nashandra/Aldia.

figuring out how to beat that fight alone is kind of sad. I'll run away and drop down till they're spread out and beat on the guy in the lead a little and then run away till they get strung out a bit again. Sinh I maintain is a great fight. Its a dragon fight but not poo poo like the elder dragon but instead like a cool dragon like kalameet but maybe a hint easier

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Sinh is great. He's like Kalameet but with less goofy "getting caught on the legs" collision issues.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Just remember to quick-slot repair powder if you're doing co-op for Sinh.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Sinh is probably my favorite dragon fight in all the Dark Souls games. It's too bad they went backwards on dragon fights in DS3.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Sinh made me give up my greatshield and learn to love powerstanced +10 great/large clubs. He was tons of fun.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oh and that faith summon is a god drat champ. You may not have survived the fight, but you did your job and got me 75% there. :911:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Fighting Sinh with the Vanquisher's Seal is my favorite method, as you just get to ignore the durability/head-poking gimmick in favor of nipping at a dragon's heels.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I've never had anything actually break during that fight before.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yeah I've been wondering what everyone's talking about. Hell, I wore the 3rd Dragon Ring during the fight and it never broke.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The deal is that your weapons will take durability damage if they hit any part of him but the head or maybe the neck. Not just regular DS2 durability damage, but something like 1.5 flat damage per hit in addition to that. Luckily something like half his attack sequence presents his head as a good target, or you can actively bait it out. So unless you're working with a real short weapon and inattentive besides you shouldn't have much issue.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Weird. Pretty sure I spent most of the time whacking him on the rear end. Even cut his tail off.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The durability issue is more of a co-op factor anyway since most people get three summons and his HP doubles or something.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Andrigaar posted:

The durability issue is more of a co-op factor anyway since most people get three summons and his HP doubles or something.
Strictly speaking his HP doesn't double, but in multiplayer any boss's defenses shift upwards to compensate and it's effectively the same thing in the hits-to-kill ratio.

Also boss HP scales up on NG+, so if your weapon isn't so big then I can see it being more of an issue. In such cases you start seeing people break out the Bracing Knuckle Rings and/or Repair Powder.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Am I missing out much if I don't finish the co-op content in the DLCs? I've run up against the gank squad a few times, and it's annoying even getting to the boss door in Iron Passage, so I'm wondering if I should just move on. I don't feel good about skipping bosses, but if they're not designed to be soloed then I'm fine with not doing them.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

They're not designed to be soloed, and all you miss is some gimmicky items and the boss souls. Also, the bosses are copies of bosses you've fought before, or in the case of Shulva, just NPCs. (They were designed to be areas that people without the DLC could run by putting down their signs and getting summoned for help, which would allow them to get DLC-exclusive items.)

Here's a list of the unique stuff in the co-op runs from the DLC:

From the Shulva area:
-Flower Skirt, which increases your Vigor by 2 and your Endurance by 1
(The gank squad doesn't even drop a boss soul, just some Titanite.)

From the Brume Tower area:
-Pharros Mask, a mask that looks a bit like Pinwheel's mask from DS1 which is always crying and makes you wet like you just rolled in water.
-Aged Smelter Sword, a greatsword that's like the one you get from the Smelter Demon's soul, except it's blue and does magic instead of fire damage.

From the Eleum Loyce area:
-Mirrah Hat, which is Lucatiel's Mask without the mask
-Ring of the Living, which makes you look human while invading
-Loyce Greatsword, a greatsword that scales best with Dexterity
-Loyce Shield, a shield with a mild health regen buff

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The only coop area worth doing is the memory one in iron king, since it has a unique boss. Skip all the others, they're garbage

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

The great sword you get from the ivory king co-op area is really cool. It’s very long for its speed and has a unique move set. It’s a pity it’s such a pain to get.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Dark Souls 2-themed beach party, anyone?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Budgie Jumping posted:

Dark Souls 2-themed beach party, anyone?

congrats on ur transition :-)

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

multijoe posted:

congrats on ur transition :-)

There was a souls streamer named yukaslegion who spent hours in character creation trying to make, in his words, a "hot babe". One of the first things he did in game was hopping into that casket. He spent days without noticing, all the while talking about how hot and beautiful "she" was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Is Sir Alonne also considered an optional co-op area? I assume so since there's a summoning room with all the statues at the start. But from what I read (after beating Fume Knight), I need the Smelter Wedge after his battle to get the last soul fragment from the Idols. The run across the room with the Alonne Knights and Fire Salamanders is one of the most ridiculous loving things I've ever seen in a Souls game. I can't even sprint across the room without being poo poo on half the time because Alonne Knights walk like they're on a VHS tape being fast-forwarded.