Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I want to play the rusty lake games but the games won't load on my browser ;-;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dom4bcfQah8

It's a massive jump scare that gives you access to some goodies. Probably the only serious jump scare in the game, unless there's one further along I haven't found yet.

there's also the elevator scare where the lights go out and a Phantom spawns in front of you but that one's pretty heavily telegraphed

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Oxxidation posted:

the Rusty Lake series keeps popping up on my Steam recs and while puzzlers aren't my thing the games themselves look fairly unsettling

The first one(Hotel) is interesting but rough and has some bullshit puzzles, the next two are a lot better

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Oxxidation posted:

the Rusty Lake series keeps popping up on my Steam recs and while puzzlers aren't my thing the games themselves look fairly unsettling

You might want to try the Cube Escape series first, it’s an ever-expanding collection of Flash puzzle games that form the foundation of the Rusty Lake games. If you’re digging them by the time you get to, say, Case 23, then you’re probably good to pick up the paid games.

I’m not a big fan of Rusty Lake Hotel but it plays like a bigger Cube Escape game and has a great ending. Rusty Lake Roots is really good all the way around, and I haven’t played Paradise yet but I’ve been looking forward to getting to it.

Coin
Jan 9, 2006

I'm no shitposter; I always know how I'm posting is wrong. I'm just a guy that doesn't like reading the thread, effortposting, and respecting the mods. So if you think about it, I'm the best poster here.
I picked up White Noise 2 and Dead By Daylight from the Steam sale.

White Noise 2 is a good game. I think the original was just a Slenderman clone (never played it) but this does so many things better than Dead by Daylight. It's a 4v1 like DBD, but very different than DBD in a bunch of good ways.

Playing as survivors is genuinely tense without being unfair; a group of survivors working together can ward off the monster pretty well, but flashlights weaken as the match goes on and every monster seems to have at least one trick that will occasionally seriously hinder the players' ability to defend themselves. Players can survive a couple of grabs if their teammates help them out, but there's none of the infinite juking that made me return DBD so quickly; encounters between the monster and the players are almost always brief, but generally (depending on the monster) very frequent.

Playing as the monster even feels tense; if the players nail you with their flashlights, you can be driven off and lose valuable time.

The game isn't boring even when you're doing poorly; a monster who's been driven away from the players can raise idols to buff/debuff and gain map knowledge while trying to figure out where the investigators are. Every monster has at least one ability that allows them to teleport to the general vicinity of the players so they don't spend the whole match completely lost. Dead investigators become ghosts who can help scout and destroy the monster's idols. All characters have at least one ability that helps them figure out a productive place to go every so often (investigators find clues with the compass, and monsters find investigators the same way.) You don't ever have to *stay* lost for more than a minute or so.

Customization isn't as deep as DBD, but it exists. Monsters have different abilities, and can be further customized with different skins (which each add small bonuses and penalties) and different idols. Investigators can change their stats with different skins and flashlights as well.

I didn't like two things about this game: the population is low. Not so low that I couldn't find a game most of the time, but less than I would like. Also, you can't reasonably play any of the monsters without watching a short video to see what their abilities do first, and then memorizing about three or four symbols. This should only be a problem for your very first match playing as a monster, anyway.

You should buy this game before the Steam sale is over if you enjoyed DBD.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Noooo don't spoil that, that jump scare is straight up the funniest moment in the entire game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Glagha posted:

Noooo don't spoil that, that jump scare is straight up the funniest moment in the entire game.

For Prey? I'm fine with spoiling it because I know that jump scares give some people serious reactions and I personally found it really extreme after so long without a single one. I'd rather give people who are nervous about it fair warning so they don't have a heart attack.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Trailer for Devotion, a first person horror game set in 1980s Taiwan. You’ll probably want subs on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEfRkPRxMgc

al-azad
May 28, 2009

They did so well with Detention, I hope their sophomore release is even better.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Coin posted:

You should buy this game before the Steam sale is over if you enjoyed DBD.

I didn't enjoy DBD but this game still seems right up my alley, since it seems... well, less poorly designed. And since all the bad reviews are about there not being enough people playing, I can handle that since I play a game where getting a 1v1 match takes hours in matchmaking, so I think I can handle it. :v:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The_Doctor posted:

Trailer for Devotion, a first person horror game set in 1980s Taiwan. You’ll probably want subs on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEfRkPRxMgc

Yeah I'll keep an eye on this

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The only other jump scare in Prey is a bit where you're in an elevator and the lights fail.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Bogart posted:

The only other jump scare in Prey is a bit where you're in an elevator and the lights fail.

Apparently diagnostics say otherwise, I need to play Prey

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Prey is an amazing game. They did it a huge disservice by calling it Prey. Immersive sim space psi stuff. When the thread calls it System Shock 3, we're only slightly overselling it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I have a bunch of cheap as chips horror-ish games in my Steam wishlist, and have some credit to blow, but I honestly can't remember why the hell I added most of them to my wishlist. Can anybody pick out some must-buys (or dear-god-don't-buys) from the following?

-Into the Gloom
-The Crooked Man
-Fibrillation HD
-The Music Machine
-Welcome to Hanwell (I remember hearing about this one and thinking it was a cool concept, but apparently it's not very good?)
-Masochisia
-Mad Father
-Unforgiving - A Northern Hymn
-The Shrouded Isle

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Prey is good if you like video games. The way it tells a story is only possible in this medium.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I really wish I could get around to finishing up Prey but the combat is such garbage and there's too much of it.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

I have a bunch of cheap as chips horror-ish games in my Steam wishlist, and have some credit to blow, but I honestly can't remember why the hell I added most of them to my wishlist. Can anybody pick out some must-buys (or dear-god-don't-buys) from the following?

-Into the Gloom

I picked this one up myself because it was less than a dollar and looked cool.

I overpaid for it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

I really wish I could get around to finishing up Prey but the combat is such garbage and there's too much of it.

Yeah, it’s a System Shock game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

s.i.r.e. posted:

I realize there are reasons for why it's this way, but my biggest "hurdle" for Prey is the relative dearth of weapons. Like, yeah, the average System Shock 2 player has the prerequisite skills to wield only a handful of the total available weapons. And yeah, neither game is really intended to be played like DOOM or Wolfenstein.

But still! You're telling me we're on board a gigantic goddamned scientific research vessel and there's only one experimental sci-fi-hokum weapon to shoot poo poo with (the Q Beam)? And beyond that, you've got the wrench, the pistol, the shotgun, and the GLOO gun...and some various grenades. And don't you dare try to count that stupid goddamned Nerf gun!

Apparently there was going to be a sentient disc gun whose AI would have to be updated to remove its qualms about killing things. The GLOO gun, with its various uses and clever ways to circumvent obstacles, was another great idea...but the game seems like it could have totally used 4-6 weird sci-fi weapons that you may or may not come across in your exploration of the Talos I, just for the sake of variety and creativity. Instead we end up with what is, on paper, one of the most boring FPS arsenals in recent memory.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

-Into the Gloom
-The Crooked Man
-Fibrillation HD
-The Music Machine
-Welcome to Hanwell (I remember hearing about this one and thinking it was a cool concept, but apparently it's not very good?)
-Masochisia
-Mad Father
-Unforgiving - A Northern Hymn
-The Shrouded Isle

Music Machine is heavily story based, so expect a lot of walking around examining objects than big set pieces. If you're fine with that, pick it up, the dev has a couple of similar games in the same vein like Fingerbones and The Moon Sliver.

Unforgiving- A Northern Hymn is worth getting IMO

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

I'm liking the idea behind pamali, deciding whether to be polite enough to avoid the ghost or to purposely antagonise it for fun.

Also the option to do the only sensible horror protagonist decision and leave!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I played Resident Evil 6 thinking everyone was exaggerating but no, this game really is aggressively mediocre. People say Leon's part is the worst of the lot but I'm struggling to find anything enjoyable here.

My biggest criticism is how the game doesn't follow any kind of eternal logic. One of the hard rules of Resident Evil is that if you see a zombie body on the ground, unless there's a pool of blood, it's not dead. RE6 frequently has scripted moments where bodies rise up but explicitly forbids you from interacting with their corpse until triggered. There's also no tells for enemies. RE4/5 gave specific sound effects for enemies when they attack from behind or telegraph hitting you. RE6's zombies are just chaotic, unpredictable, and will grab you without an animation tell.

I like how the game plays, it's the best controlling Resident Evil, but everything about its design is some bullshit. I really like the cutscene direction with its constant camera zooms and whiplash pans, but nothing in the story has been as absurd and fun as the previous games.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
There's a guy who's monster mode is he explodes into a T-rex made of zombie corpses and you beat him by blowing him up until he shrinks back down into human size so you can punch him in the face a lot. Resident Evil 6 owns but it's more like House of the Dead than any serious horror games like RE7

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Jukebox Hero posted:

There's a guy who's monster mode is he explodes into a T-rex made of zombie corpses and you beat him by blowing him up until he shrinks back down into human size so you can punch him in the face a lot. Resident Evil 6 owns but it's more like House of the Dead than any serious horror games like RE7

gently caress did you just describe re6 or a Dresden book

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
One of the primary advantages of playing as Chris in RE6 is that he can kill multiple monsters at once by physically hurling other monsters at them like donkey Kong throwing barrels at Mario, you enjoy it a lot more when you accept that it's a zombie punching simulator first and a horror game like fifth or sixth

Jake can completely destroy his first bossfight with the Ustanak, a ten foot tall super zombie with muscles so big it's skin is tearing open and a robot arm that can crush concrete, by putting his gun away and beating the loving poo poo out of it with his bare hands.

This isn't just a weird gameplay conceit or an AI glitch, Jake canonically outclasses the Ustanak in a bare knuckle brawl several times throughout his campaign, climaxing in a punchup session on top of a broken catwalk over a massive pit of molten steel, during which Jake gets so pissed that he starts to flash step around like an anime character in the QTE sequences.

I loving love RE6.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I’ll chalk it up to Leon being a bad character because the gameplay flat out doesn’t work at this point. I just can’t get over the enemies that teleport to grab me, or have no tell animation, or counter prompts that don’t trigger. It’s a really frustrating experience.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
The counter window is there even without the prompt in my experience. Leon's campaign is the hardest in general by a long shot, the zombies do have an annoying tendency to rapidly shift between 'Romero' and '28 Days Later' modes with little warning.

It's a really divisive game. I'd seriously suggest watching Lunethex's LP of it, he shows you how to play a lot more effectively. Never waste stamina on useless attacks again.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I also hope the bullshit death traps stop. Like the game has you avoid two trains in one scene, both with a quick time event. The third train comes from behind with no prompt and the only way to not die is be on the other tracks. Granted you’re looking ahead as a mob of zombies rush you and by the time you see the train lights you’re already dead. In another scene an ambulance crashes through half the level in the spot where you would naturally walk to. You just have to not be standing in its path, no prompt or telegraphing.

It’s a little disheartening because I’m also finding The Evil Within 2 to be pretty mediocre. It tosses out all the weirdness of the first game and has none of the interesting level designs or set pieces even if it is a more technically competent game.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

al-azad posted:

In another scene an ambulance crashes through half the level in the spot where you would naturally walk to. You just have to not be standing in its path, no prompt or telegraphing.

I think your AI companions are mostly immune to death, but one place they for sure are not is there. I remember Helena got stuck up on some zombies and got creamed by the ambulance my first time through.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Play with a friend. RE6 works best (y'know, relatively) as a multiplayer experience. More games need Crossing Ways poo poo. And invasions where you control NPCs.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

DrSnakeLaser posted:

I'm liking the idea behind pamali, deciding whether to be polite enough to avoid the ghost or to purposely antagonise it for fun.

Indonesia has some metal as gently caress ghosts and folklore.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

DrSnakeLaser posted:

This seems like it could be extremely cool, hope they make their funding

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Prey question: Do you ever find keycards in a different area of the game that's separated by a loading screen? I can't tell if I missed a keycard somewhere or I'm just flat out not looking in the right place, or maybe I just don't have the correct tools to get to it yet.

I'm exploring other objectives atm, no big deal, but thought I'd ask all the same.

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dom4bcfQah8

It's a massive jump scare that gives you access to some goodies. Probably the only serious jump scare in the game, unless there's one further along I haven't found yet.

Bogart posted:

I really appreciate the jump scare warnings, thank you very much! Will know what to look for. The Mimics still get me from time to time when they pop up; barely a threat, but I just am very uncomfortable with the feeling. I think I'd be okay if the sting music wasn't so loud.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Artelier posted:

Prey question: Do you ever find keycards in a different area of the game that's separated by a loading screen? I can't tell if I missed a keycard somewhere or I'm just flat out not looking in the right place, or maybe I just don't have the correct tools to get to it yet.

I'm exploring other objectives atm, no big deal, but thought I'd ask all the same.

I really appreciate the jump scare warnings, thank you very much! Will know what to look for. The Mimics still get me from time to time when they pop up; barely a threat, but I just am very uncomfortable with the feeling. I think I'd be okay if the sting music wasn't so loud.

Sometimes, you won't find keycards altogether and you need to find alternative routes into rooms. I.e. vents, GLOO stairs, Psi-abilities.

No problem. :3: Drop by the Prey thread if you have more questions. We are desperate to discuss this game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Just remember that there's always multiple solutions to pretty much everything in the game. If you can't find a keycard, you can probably get in through hacking, a vent (which may require GLOO staircases), moving heavy furniture (either through strength mods or recycler charges) turning into a coffee mug and rolling through a gap....

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

chitoryu12 posted:

turning into a coffee mug and rolling through a gap....

Son of a bitch. This never occurred to me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RadicalR posted:

Son of a bitch. This never occurred to me.

Oh holy poo poo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

al-azad posted:

Yeah, it’s a System Shock game.

As someone who played System Shock 2 multiple times, I disagree. The combat in SS2 is garbage but a lot of the times it's completely optional as enemies are slow as poo poo and can't chase you down really. Prey, not so much, because the Mimics are faster than poo poo and they're everywhere. Prey was made 18 years after SS2 so you'd think combat would have been better, if that really was the basis they used.

The Mimic design is garbage and some of the worst I've ever seen for enemies in a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

As someone who played System Shock 2 multiple times, I disagree. The combat in SS2 is garbage but a lot of the times it's completely optional as enemies are slow as poo poo and can't chase you down really. Prey, not so much, because the Mimics are faster than poo poo and they're everywhere. Prey was made 18 years after SS2 so you'd think combat would have been better, if that really was the basis they used.

The Mimic design is garbage and some of the worst I've ever seen for enemies in a game.

I haven't played Prey, just that revisiting SS1 and SS2 back to back it amazes me how both games start ostensibly as survival horror then turn into Quake and every single Shock game has followed suit. I'll lump Deus Ex series in there as well. SS2 was the most frustrating with monster vulnerabilities but really all it meant was that I beelined for the assault rifle and carried a poo poo ton of every ammo type while throwing away every other gun in the trash because I can't deal with energy/batteries or clicking on piles of worms/whatever for the organic weapons. I think the Shock and Shock-inspired games are really hurt by how much variety they have in weaponry which in turn makes each individual weapon feel less special (an issue Metal Gear has as well with its arsenal larger than most FPS games that you're disincentived from using).

All I need from Prey is to deliver on atmosphere and a sense of loneliness which is what the Shock family of games truly excel at.