Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

navyjack posted:

Yeah but the books are too pricey for how short they are

Library, yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I did not care for All Systems Red, I found Murderbot far too twee.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Peter Watts was on a latest episode of Geek's Guide to the Galaxy:

Episode 315 << Coming June 30th

Peter Watts joins us to discuss his novel The Freeze-Frame Revolution and his short story collection Beyond the Rift.

I haven't listened yet. The episode is not on their website yet, but is available through the feed.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Everytime someone posts about a grandmaster of scifi dying, I am surprised it's not James E. Gunn, who will be 95 in 13 days.
Given how most grandmasters of scifi went full bore racist/sex perv/disappeared up their own asses after they hit 50, James E. Gunn stayed sane and was able to finish off a decent-not-great trilogy of books for TOR last year.

I will forever maintain that James E. Gunn's Kampus deserves a retroactive pulitzer pride for unintentional comedy. Kampus is like a dark anti-hippy version of A Confederacy of Dunces, only no-ones life is improved by interacting with the main character of Kampus.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I met Ellison many, many years ago at a con. I was very nervous, and waited while he set up his table and books. A kid came up and, mistaking Ellison for convention staff, asked him where Todd McFarlane was. Ellison's eyes just blazed as he stared at the kid, and I thought, here we go. But Ellison just said he didn't know, but with a bite that made the air snap.The kid, oblivious, just wandered away. Then his eyes turned to me.

"I'm very nervous to meet you, " I said.

"Why?" he snapped back.

I mumbled something like how much I liked his work, tripping over my words, wondering if I was going to be blasted. But he stared at me and said, "I'm just a guy. I put on my pants just like you."

Aside from Neil Gaiman, he was the nicest writer I've ever met.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Steakandchips posted:

I did not care for All Systems Red, I found Murderbot far too twee.

I found them way less twee than I thought they'd be judging by the blurb, and thank God for that. All Systems Red is the best of the Hugo novellas I've read so far, which I admit isn't saying muchh.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/ImmanionPress/status/1012883196298563584?s=19

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Is that the vampires with the weird dicks?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Is that the vampires with the weird dicks?

They're not vampires, they do have weird dicks, they're hermaphrodites who lay eggs.

Also the author couldn't commit to hermaphrodites and created a sister race to the Wraeththu so there are girl hermaphrodites too.

e: I reread the first trilogy last year to see what high school me was reading and oh, boy. They're fun reads but I can't rec them and I don't know how they got published on anywhere but fanfic.net

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 30, 2018

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Junior high me was reading books about the murderous hermaphrodites who ruled earth.

Isaac Asimov

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Murderbot clicked with me more when I realized she’s just writing Pinocchio in space.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

They're not vampires, they do have weird dicks, they're hermaphrodites who lay eggs.

Also the author couldn't commit to hermaphrodites and created a sister race to the Wraeththu so there are girl hermaphrodites too.

e: I reread the first trilogy last year to see what high school me was reading and oh, boy. They're fun reads but I can't rec them and I don't know how they got published on anywhere but fanfic.net

So wraeththu, wraefu, waifu...

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

"Wendy Darling"? Really?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

"Wendy Darling"? Really?
And Storm Constantine.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

jit bull transpile posted:

I mean, all tech is bad but black mirror is still dumb

mm, as someone who couldn't survive without technology invented in the last century, i agree.

also harlan ellison seems like he was a oval office but he was influential and i've never heard of him crossing any moral points of no return (albeit i've never read too deeply into his personal life, under the fourth law of arthur c clarke), so it saddens me to learn of his death.

edit:

ringu0 posted:

Peter Watts was on a latest episode of Geek's Guide to the Galaxy:

Episode 315 << Coming June 30th

Peter Watts joins us to discuss his novel The Freeze-Frame Revolution and his short story collection Beyond the Rift.

I haven't listened yet. The episode is not on their website yet, but is available through the feed.

thank you! i haven't listened to any of watts' speeches in years, but my memory is he is really good at stringing together entertaining science stuff, even if a lot of the science is more contested than what he says would indicate.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neurosis posted:

mm, as someone who couldn't survive without technology invented in the last century, i agree.

also harlan ellison seems like he was a oval office but he was influential and i've never heard of him crossing any moral points of no return (albeit i've never read too deeply into his personal life, under the fourth law of arthur c clarke), so it saddens me to learn of his death.

edit:

thank you! i haven't listened to any of watts' speeches in years, but my memory is he is really good at stringing together entertaining science stuff, even if a lot of the science is more contested than what he says would indicate.

Dude groped someone on stage, and scuttlebutt says it was only the tip of the iceberg for his unpleasant con behaviour. He wasn’t fun or safe to be around for female fans.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

I picked up the trilogy in my teens sight unseen because I was in the mood for some fantasy at the time. Hoo boy, those 50 or so pages I got through were a doozy. I think I stopped reading about the time the wandering recruiter dude's penis opened up to envelop the other guy's.:yikes::yikes::yikes:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I think I stopped reading about the time the wandering recruiter dude's penis opened up to envelop the other guy's.:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Sci-fi authors write about docking all the time, what's the issue.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

navyjack posted:

Yeah but the books are too pricey for how short they are

This. I got All Systems Red on sale, then saw they were charging full novel price for the sequels despite them being novellas at best.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fordan posted:

This. I got All Systems Red on sale, then saw they were charging full novel price for the sequels despite them being novellas at best.

The prices will go down over time. A lot of publishers are doing the same trying to soak maximum dollars from readers that NEED THING NOW, like me.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Darth Walrus posted:

Dude groped someone on stage, and scuttlebutt says it was only the tip of the iceberg for his unpleasant con behaviour. He wasn’t fun or safe to be around for female fans.

Someone being multi-Hugo Award winner Connie Willis.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Darth Walrus posted:

oh. well, that's pretty gross.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Just finished reading Freeze Frame Revolution. So good. Watts knocked it out the park this time around.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Steakandchips posted:

Just finished reading Freeze Frame Revolution. So good. Watts knocked it out the park this time around.

Made it look like a breeze frame revolution?

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Kesper North posted:

Made it look like a breeze frame revolution?

You are someone's dad.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

BananaNutkins posted:

You are someone's dad.

:dadjoke: Father of pun. :dadjoke:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Re-read Terry Pratchett's novel Dark Side of the Sun this weekend. Dark Side was still a light entertaining read and I had forgotten how extremely detailed the Dark Side universe was for a one-off scifi book. If Dark Side had been more popular in this universe, I could see Pratchett making an entire book series out of it, similar to how Pratchett developed his Discworld series. Million-to-one chances was a running gag in Dark Side, similar to how Pratchett would use million-to-one chances in his Discworld series.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Re-read Terry Pratchett's novel Dark Side of the Sun this weekend. Dark Side was still a light entertaining read and I had forgotten how extremely detailed the Dark Side universe was for a one-off scifi book. If Dark Side had been more popular in this universe, I could see Pratchett making an entire book series out of it, similar to how Pratchett developed his Discworld series. Million-to-one chances was a running gag in Dark Side, similar to how Pratchett would use million-to-one chances in his Discworld series.

The difference being that in Dark Side, million to one chances work because the people taking them don't leave things to chance and think probability is for suckers, idiots, and poor people.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Darth Walrus posted:

for a brief moment of utter terror I thought you were talking about Peter Watts

I would have difficulty handling that

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

for a brief moment of utter terror I thought you were talking about Peter Watts

I would have difficulty handling that

Nah. This is more accurate for Watts.

Darth Walrus posted:

Dude groped someone on stage with his fists , and scuttlebutt says it was only the tip of the iceberg for his unpleasant con border crossing behaviour. He wasn't fun or safe to be around for female fans U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Halfway through Echopraxia and it’s disappointing after Blindsight. He’s really good at expressing the horror of vampires though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

io9 published a list of upcoming SF/F and this one caught my eye, so I was going to go for a longshot and ask if anyone's heard anything about this super new book (released yesterday, apparently), The Book of Hidden Things. Here's the blurb:

quote:

Four old school friends have a pact: to meet up every year in the small town in Puglia they grew up in. Art, the charismatic leader of the group and creator of the pact, insists that the agreement must remain unshakable and enduring. But this year, he never shows up.

A visit to his house increases the friends' worry; Art is farming marijuana. In Southern Italy doing that kind of thing can be very dangerous. They can't go to the Carabinieri so must make enquiries of their own. This is how they come across the rumours about Art; bizarre and unbelievable rumours that he miraculously cured the local mafia boss's daughter of terminal leukaemia. And among the chaos of his house, they find a document written by Art, The Book of Hidden Things, that promises to reveal dark secrets and wonders beyond anything previously known.

Maybe I'm just jonesing for something along the lines of Umberto Eco (RIP), but that setup can either be really engrossing or end up really poo poo, depending on where this journey goes.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

io9 published a list of upcoming SF/F and this one caught my eye, so I was going to go for a longshot and ask if anyone's heard anything about this super new book (released yesterday, apparently), The Book of Hidden Things. Here's the blurb:

I believe the author is currently doing the rounds with a blog tour. At least, he just did Scalzi's blog.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Curious about opinions on Greg Bear? Just started reading The Forge of God, and the premise is pretty sweet (almost feels like Independence Day may have cribbed from it a bit so far), but I'm not quite sold on the writing, but maybe I just haven't warmed up to it yet.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Curious about opinions on Greg Bear? Just started reading The Forge of God, and the premise is pretty sweet (almost feels like Independence Day may have cribbed from it a bit so far), but I'm not quite sold on the writing, but maybe I just haven't warmed up to it yet.

Bear's writing is middling but very digestible as far as the genre goes. The Forge of God is probably my least favorite of Bear's work--it's meandering in a way that's not very compelling, culminating in a melodramatic climax that doesn't feel earned. The sequel has very little in common with it, but for my dollar it's a much better standalone work and lets him do what he does best: explore big ideas.

His best work is "The Way" series, in my opinion. Again, the writing is merely serviceable, but it's a framework that allows him to explore grand sci fi ideas. He's pretty good.

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 5, 2018

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

A Proper Uppercut posted:

His writing tedious, especially at novel length. His short stories are tolerable, but I couldn't even finish the novel version of Blood Music because it was just a short story padded to novel length with a ton of boring drivelly detail from a mediocre prose stylist.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Kinda what I figured. I'll stick with it for now and see how it goes.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just started The People's History of the Vampire Uprising and while I'm only 5% into it, it's pretty good so far.

It's written like a book where instead of a protagonist that's traditional, there's just the person who wrote the book, and a collection of news stories and stuff regarding the whole thing.

quote:

A People's History of the Vampire Uprising: A Novel

Raymond A. Villareal
★★★
See at: Amazon.com

In this ambitious and wildly original debut--part social-political satire, part international mystery--a new virus turns people into something a bit more than human, upending society as we know it.

This panoramic fictional oral history begins with one small mystery: the body of a young woman found in an Arizona border town, presumed to be an illegal immigrant, disappears from the town morgue. To the young CDC investigator called in to consult with the local police, it's an impossibility that threatens her understanding of medicine.

Then, more bodies, dead from an inexplicable disease that solidified their blood, are brought to the morgue, only to also vanish. Soon, the U.S. government--and eventually biomedical researchers, disgruntled lawmakers, and even an insurgent faction of the Catholic Church--must come to terms with what they're too late to stop: an epidemic of vampirism that will sweep first the United States, and then the world.

With heightened strength and beauty and a stead diet of fresh blood, these changed people, or "Gloamings," rapidly rise to prominence in all aspects of modern society. Soon people are beginning to be "re-created," willingly accepting the risk of death if their bodies can't handle the transformation. As new communities of Gloamings arise, society is divided, and popular Gloaming sites come under threat from a secret terrorist organization. But when a charismatic and wealthy businessman, recently turned, runs for political office--well, all hell breaks loose.

Told from the perspective of key players, including a cynical FBI agent, an audacious campaign manager, and a war veteran turned nurse turned secret operative, A People's History of the Vampire Uprising is an exhilarating, genre-bending debut that is as addictive as the power it describes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
So it’s world war v?