Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Andrigaar posted:

The whole season was full of constant cliche dialogue

"You and I, Luke, we're the same."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I seriously couldn’t loving believe when that happened, because they had LITERALLY just had the SAME conversation between Luke and the other character in that scene in like the same or previous episode

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I seriously couldn’t loving believe when that happened, because they had LITERALLY just had the SAME conversation between Luke and the other character in that scene in like the same or previous episode

nooneofconsequence posted:

Everyone just wants to be friends with Luke Cage, just like Danny Rand.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, but Danny Rand drove them to suicide by drug overdose.

RIP cool homeless dude

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

nooneofconsequence posted:

I’m continually shocked when I hear this in things...how are writers still using this bullshit?

Even when they *are* similar, it’s a great way to make it clear that the writers have zero confidence in the audience to recognize this in any other way.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Xealot posted:

I’m continually shocked when I hear this in things...how are writers still using this bullshit?

Even when they *are* similar, it’s a great way to make it clear that the writers have zero confidence in the audience to recognize this in any other way.

I Iliterally winced when Bushmaster said that.

It’s second worst next to “We’re not so different, you and I.”

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Never forget

Sigourney: We're not so different, you and I.
Matt: We're nothing alike.
Sigourney: I know.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

I must have blocked that out. What a waste of Sigourney Weaver.

They should’ve cast her as Jessica Jones’ mom instead...that’d at least have been interesting on a conceptual level.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Is there a Marvel Netflix show that doesn’t have a variation on that? JJ S2 had it as the theme for the whole season.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I liked it best when the main hero says it to the main villain to cheer her up.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

counterfeitsaint posted:

Never forget

jesus

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

Never forget

Wait that actually happened?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I straight up didn’t finish the Defenders or watch the last two episodes of Luke Cage S1 because Diamondback and the Hand are so loving lame, or any of Iron Fist or Jessica Jones, but feel like the only plot points I missed are that Matt is “dead” and Misty’s arm. Is there anything else?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
you dont watch The last 2 episodes of Luke Cage for Diamondback
You watch it for crazy Mariah and good old Shades

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

I straight up didn’t finish the Defenders or watch the last two episodes of Luke Cage S1 because Diamondback and the Hand are so loving lame, or any of Iron Fist or Jessica Jones, but feel like the only plot points I missed are that Matt is “dead” and Misty’s arm. Is there anything else?

Jessica Jones S1 is still pretty good. It has Luke Cage in the first half, and Killgrave in all of it!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jessica Jones S1 is the best Marvel Netflix thing. Or at least up there with DD S1, Luke Cage S1 and 2, and Punisher.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

MiddleOne posted:

Wait that actually happened?

Oh yeah, verbatim. And she delivers the last line like it's the most chilling epic burn ever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Before Jessica Jones season 2 hit I was convinced Defenders was as bad as the Marvel shows could get.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

JJ2 is extremely mediocre but it's still better then Defenders in every way.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I definitely liked JJs2 more than Defenders. JJ had an interesting theme and story it tried to tell with mostly compelling characters. Defenders was mediocre action sequences featuring the weakest villains you've ever seen in a tv show and Electra.

I think I liked Defenders more than Iron Fist as well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

RevolverDivider posted:

JJ2 is extremely mediocre but it's still better then Defenders in every way.

It's certainly nowhere as stupid and awkwardly written, but it's also more boring. Like Defenders is hilariously stupid, Jessica Jones S2 is just frustrating.

PaybackJack posted:

I think I liked Defenders more than Iron Fist as well.

Gotta disagree here too. As bad as Iron Fist is as a main character, at least the Meachums are compelling. Defenders has no interesting side characters and is still entirely about Iron Fist being even more stubborn and angry.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
My major issue with The Defenders, which is mostly of a result of not being able to remember much of it, was that it was a team-up crossover brawl event with a bunch of actors that are quite terrible at stage fighting. poo poo, I can't even recall if I liked it or not when I watched it and I'm too afraid to check my post history and discover I did for the day or two after I'd finished it.

Was that the show where Stick lost a hand? And will they ever figure out how to make stunt workers in pajamas with katanas threatening?
Rhetorical, we all know they won't

And I also thought Defenders was better than Iron Fist. Low bar here, but I honestly hated childlike innocence Danny that much. Not even the maniacal Gordon Gecko impersonation by the Meechum brother could save it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The Defenders was great for the RTJ fight scene where you got to see the birth of Luke Cage/Danny Rand Heroes for Hire and the scene of theme giving each other (mostly Danny) poo poo over Chinese food but everything else was pretty bad.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I can't believe the guy playing Danny Rand still can't fake fight for poo poo. That warehouse fight was one of the most embarrassing fight scenes I have ever watched in a TV show.

nael
Sep 10, 2009

Mike N Eich posted:

I do really love how they let their characters speak in patois and not sugarcoat it too much for a general audience, all the Jamaican characters are cool as hell.

I have subtitles on in Netflix by default. All of the subtitles for the dialog in Patois is written out in standard English, so I honestly had no idea if it was always subtitled or not. Like even the word "breden" is translated to friend, brother, or family depending on the context.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Serf posted:

I can't believe the guy playing Danny Rand still can't fake fight for poo poo. That warehouse fight was one of the most embarrassing fight scenes I have ever watched in a TV show.

They need to put him in a mask so someone else can do all that poo poo.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I'm now really glad I stuck it out for S2 of Luke Cage. I'm on ep7 now, I think, but genuinely enjoying it. The Jamaicans are loving cool.

And now I see what was meant when someone replied to me about Shades loving someone. That scene was very reminiscent of the scene from House of Cards, S2 maybe? Where Frank and his college buddy talk about the romance they had and if it was real, and if it meant anything.

This story overall seems as if it was thought out much better and the pacing is improved from S1.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Stuff like Shades being closeted bisexual is the best part of these shows. When they’re not afraid to give characters real and potentially controversial tensions, it justifies for me why I should care about any of this poo poo.

Which is why Iron Fist was such dogshit. Is it about white privilege? The immigrant experience? Wealth inequality? Literally anything? Nope, just bad martial arts and a corporate succession plot. I guess there’s a less-good-than-Jessica Jones addiction plot, sort of.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

People forget that Daredevil season 1 had some fantastic commentary on gentrification and the way that fathers pass on violence to their sons. I particularly loved how they tweaked parts of Matt's origin to really drive home their thematic weight while still making Matt into the catholic rear end in a top hat we all know and love.

I just love the idea that Matt's Dad always wanted better for his son, and Matt largely achieves that - but then he throws on a costume and beats the poo poo out of random criminals. The way that Season 1 depicts how Matt's fighting style slowly degrades into boxing slugfests is one of the best "Characterization through action" riffs I can imagine.

I came to post here because I'm still chugging through Season 2 of Jessica Jones and gently caress this nonsense. I peaced out of Iron Fist early (And I've watched every season of Arrow, for reference), which had absolutely nothing redeeming. JJ has Ritter's goddamn great presence, but at this point the pacing is actively loving me over with no rhyme or reason.

I've seen the first few of Luke Cage season 2, and it is also paced... leisurely. But there's an intention to the show's pace, and why it wants to sit you down at Harlem's paradise for a few scenes.

Meanwhile, JJ somehow spends loving eons on duller than dull material, while whizzing (hah) right past any of the more interesting beats. Malcolm trying to hold down Alias investigations while Jessica is gone for an episode or two? DOWN. But instead we've got the writers depicting every.single.moment of Trish's relationship with Griffin - and yet it skips over the actual breakup because gently caress you, that's why. That missing link and completely repetitive scenes mean I'm suddenly watching Trish as an addict with very little build up or justification. The actual inciting incident is at the 100 minute mark, for gently caress's sake.

And then! Then! We FINALLY get some movement chugging along and there's real suspense being built. And episode six climaxes with a legitimately great and earned payoff. Huzzah, I say! Huzzah!

And the entire next episode is a repetitive and duller-than-poo poo flashback episode. gently caress. This. Noise.

Defenders went off the rails hard, but Jessica Jones' second season can't even find the loving train station.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Xealot posted:

Which is why Iron Fist was such dogshit. Is it about white privilege? The immigrant experience? Wealth inequality? Literally anything? Nope, just bad martial arts and a corporate succession plot. I guess there’s a less-good-than-Jessica Jones addiction plot, sort of.

I love that they had to make the super-smack poisonous to make affordable needle-free drugs that don't have diminishing highs seem like a bad thing.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I liked the little nod to the Godfather in the last episode where Luke and Misty are talking in the club, then Luke is pulled away into his office and the door closes with Misty watching from the outside.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 5, 2018

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Doronin posted:

I'm now really glad I stuck it out for S2 of Luke Cage. I'm on ep7 now, I think, but genuinely enjoying it. The Jamaicans are loving cool.

Me before season: *extremely white guy voice, pushing up glasses* oh gosh, I hope this season of Luke Cage is a good one
Me about 80% of the way in: SHE BURN DOWN DI OOMAN AN PIKNIES BOTH :stonk:

I know a lot of people found it hokey, but I really liked this season. Bushmaster and Luke both evolve over the course of the series in different directions. Also I want a Bushmaster series now :getin:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dreylad posted:

I liked the little nod to the Godfather in the last episode where Luke and Misty are talking in the club, then Luke is pulled away into his office and the door closes with Misty watches.

Yeah. It's not subtle by any means but it was perfect.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

Yeah. It's not subtle by any means but it was perfect.

yeah true, if I notice it then it must have been like a bludgeon for other people

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Dreylad posted:

yeah true, if I notice it then it must have been like a bludgeon for other people

I did half-roll my eyes but it was fine.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Stuck on the idea that Bushmaster hangs out with friends and family in a poloneck after work while every other villain in the MU only ever power-lunches or hosts menacing dinners, with the odd ice cream party.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I still can't get over how Defenders, which I liked, essentially poo poo the bed by having the huge villainous plot be... [checks notes] securing an ongoing supply of the stuff that lets them be immortal ninjas before it runs out? All that build up about a mysterious giant hole in the ground across various shows and even if the bad guys get their heart's desire, their heart's desire is to simply be no worse off than they are now. HOW VERY AMBITIOUS.

Even that I might have bought if the ninjas carried on being badass ninjas, but first Iron Fist and then Defenders just makes them a gang of regular dudes (apart from the immortality thing) for the most part.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The dragon bone also let them bring people back to life, but I agree that the villians for The Defenders were lame and not menacing or threatening at all.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The Defenders answered the years old question of what is this super spooky Black Sky thing. Turns out it's actually a wet fart that gets beat up a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The bad guys in The Defenders were so forgettable that "disapproving old Chinese woman" we easily the most memorable.

I remembered there was 4 of them but had to go look up who the other two were beyond her and the evil youth counselor.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 5, 2018