Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Ultimate Marvel overall was good, then bad, then good, then ok. The early stuff was excellent, especially Spider-Man and Ultimates.

It went off the rails around Ultimates 3, as I recall, when Hawkeye got his death wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mover posted:

Aunt Petunia

I think it was great that Aunt Petunia actually turned out to be really hot looking. Nobody expected that.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
hang on the thing was spiky?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quite stretched out posted:

hang on the thing was spiky?

during the defalco era I believe.

They both got exposed to a bunch more cosmic rays so Thing is Thing^2, and Sharon Ventura got thinged too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Where's my World War Things crossover already.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Everyone always forgets Ultimate Adventures as a pretty okay Ultimates title

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Where's my World War Things crossover already.

Thing Island

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
No Thing's Land

a gross miscalculation in parallel parking ends blocking Yancy Street from the rest of the world

the Thing has to keep order and reclaim it piece by piece

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rhyno posted:

No you were better off. It happens in the Ultimate Doom/Mystery/Trashcan trilogy that Bendis wrote where Reed is revealed to have become a villain. Ben's skin flakes off and he's normal except now he can like power up and he's purple and glowing and has all his Thing powers.

Are you sure you're not confusing him for the Infraggable Krunk?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I like how I even noted it was BENDIS and you guys still don't buy it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I actually thought the Ultimate Ben Grimm thing where his rock form was a cocoon for his real powers showing up was pretty cool. I mean out of context it sounds silly but as I was reading it I liked it as another divergent story taking the Ultimate books in a different direction than the 616 line.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah on paper it sounds like a groovy idea. But it just looks so bad...

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Have some random funny panels I came across on imgur.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like I've said it before but that first page is just Archer.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

ImpAtom posted:

Archer is Oliver Queen, Bruce Wayne is Batman. You maroon, you complete nincompoop. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Sarcasm.

graham cracker fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 5, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Synthbuttrange posted:

during the defalco era I believe.

Englehart made him all spiky; I think he was back to being regular old Ben Grimm for most of Simonson, then he ends up rocky again in time for DeFalco's run.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

Ultimate Marvel overall was good, then bad, then good, then ok. The early stuff was excellent, especially Spider-Man and Ultimates.

It went off the rails around Ultimates 3, as I recall, when Hawkeye got his death wish.

"Off the rails" is an understatement. Going from Ultimates 2 to Ultimates 3 is literally just a whole different comic, like the two barely even have plot continuity between them, the art is horrendous, and nothing that happens makes sense. Probably one of the starkest sea changes in the quality of a comic I've ever seen.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Englehart made him all spiky; I think he was back to being regular old Ben Grimm for most of Simonson, then he ends up rocky again in time for DeFalco's run.

Rocky, but with a bucket on his head.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, he was scarred by an evil doppelganger of Wolverine in the Infinity War (?) tie-in.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'm just reminded of the Spider-Man issue where he's wearing a castoff Fantastic Four onesie and a paper bag.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, he was scarred by an evil doppelganger of Wolverine in the Infinity War (?) tie-in.

he was scarred by wolverine in the new fantastic four issue that i foundly remember despite being pretty bad.
wolverine apologized

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bony tony posted:

I'm just reminded of the Spider-Man issue where he's wearing a castoff Fantastic Four onesie and a paper bag.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

things're getting ugly around here

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Great, now I can't read it any other way!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Android Blues posted:

"Off the rails" is an understatement. Going from Ultimates 2 to Ultimates 3 is literally just a whole different comic, like the two barely even have plot continuity between them, the art is horrendous, and nothing that happens makes sense. Probably one of the starkest sea changes in the quality of a comic I've ever seen.

Was Ultimates 3 the one that opened with the Ultimates having a casual get together to watch Tony Stark's leaked sex tape like that was something that was a good and cool idea to do?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Was Ultimates 3 the one that opened with the Ultimates having a casual get together to watch Tony Stark's leaked sex tape like that was something that was a good and cool idea to do?

That's the one. Also Wanda and Pietro are sleeping together, and the Wasp chides Cap for his backwards 40s morality making him not okay with incest.

It also features this series of panels:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Basically Ultimates 3 takes the "gritty", semi-realistic portrayal of the Avengers from Ultimates 1 and 2, and then it's as if Loeb just can't read subtlety and assumes that any move towards realism = the series is about transgressive sex and ultraviolence. Also he has forgotten how to plot a book.

e: also Joe Mad draws women like sex puppets, which is maybe understandable, since that's pretty much how the writing treats them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Android Blues posted:

Basically Ultimates 3 takes the "gritty", semi-realistic portrayal of the Avengers from Ultimates 1 and 2, and then it's as if Loeb just can't read subtlety and assumes that any move towards realism = the series is about transgressive sex and ultraviolence. Also he has forgotten how to plot a book.

And it's like that's the only thing he took from U1 and 2, since he basically just substituted in super-gritted parodies of their 616 selves.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's actually a toss-up between Ultimates 3 and the start of Kirkman's run on Ultimate X-Men for "most dramatic shift". Because that latter book jumps right off a cliff and drops straight down as well.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Is Ultimates 3 the one where Thor randomly got 616 Mjolnir because the artist forgot Ultimate Mnolnir was different?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hey did they ever explain why no one else has an issue with cosmic rays despite everyone going to space all the time?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Hey did they ever explain why no one else has an issue with cosmic rays despite everyone going to space all the time?

Galactus was going by at the time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah Reed Richards' ship was substandard.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah Reed Richards' ship was substandard.

Hello, Victor.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

One Russian and three apes also got cosmic rayed.

Also Bruce Banner and some skrulls.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

And Sasquatch, although that was at least semi on purpose

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think it's actually a toss-up between Ultimates 3 and the start of Kirkman's run on Ultimate X-Men for "most dramatic shift". Because that latter book jumps right off a cliff and drops straight down as well.

God drat, don't remind me. For a minute there I completely forgot about The Magician

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Random Stranger posted:

One Russian and three apes also got cosmic rayed.

Also Bruce Banner and some skrulls.

And don’t forget the U-Foes, who not only did it intentionally but also overexposed themselves to get better powers than the FF.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011

Android Blues posted:

That's the one. Also Wanda and Pietro are sleeping together, and the Wasp chides Cap for his backwards 40s morality making him not okay with incest.

I've always wondered if the person who wrote that had a sibling, but I've been too scared/lazy to check. And speaking from personal experience, that being your first exposure to Wanda and Pietro makes you actively fight your brain with expectations for a bit until you get the hang of the difference between Ultimate and 616.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

God drat, don't remind me. For a minute there I completely forgot about The Magician

poo poo... That rings a bell.

I lost any will to read Ultimate X-men when they introduce Cable as Wolverine from the future... WHAT?