Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

McGiggins posted:

Guys I'm not in a wheelchair.

I was just playing with Toast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

I wonder how the university feels about their hardware being used to mine ChrisCoins?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
In real games that are actually finished and don't cost 27 thousand dollars to play news...

Buy this in the Steam sale.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/355980/Dungeon_Warfare/

And if you already have that then the sequel comes out tomorrow! I'm excited!

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
The 980 is a perfectly respectable card. Theres not that much it can't do.

We've become separated, and one of them has wandered into a gun store while the other has wandered into a ship parts store. Upon entering, all the culled textures and models snap into existence AFTER the door opens, in front of the players eyes.

Also, there does not appear to be any sort local map, so they can't figure out how to get to each other again.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

McGiggins posted:

We've become separated, and one of them has wandered into a gun store while the other has wandered into a ship parts store. Upon entering, all the culled textures and models snap into existence AFTER the door opens, in front of the players eyes.

Also, there does not appear to be any sort local map, so they can't figure out how to get to each other again.

Suggest graph paper and pencil. Like when you played Zork.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Hav posted:

Still $500 a pop while the 1080s are still being snapped up by bitcoin miners, and that’s a lab, so multiply.

What should the minimum requirements be to play the game?

They are 500 a pop because the 1080's are getting snapped up by miners. Yep, computer labs are expensive... I get that.

As for the minimum to play? Its listed on the site. But since the game is still in Alpha do you really expect it to run as a full release would?

I can tell you on a i7-8700k, 32 GB RAM, 1080Ti and an SSD game drive, 3.2 has been around 30-40 FPS MOST of the time... Yep, occasionally there is some hits down in the 20's, but its a lot better than 3.1 and 3.0 were.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

McGiggins posted:

Sure, its a good card, but its an old card with about 65-70% of the power of the 1080Ti.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Still cant get the mobiglass back into focus

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

EvilMerlin posted:

Sure, its a good card, but its an old card with about 65-70% of the power of the 1080Ti.

My dude. 980 isn’t an old card. One generation previous and especially the *80 has always been considered perfectly fine for like 3+ gen after.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Ramadu posted:

My dude. 980 isn’t an old card. One generation previous and especially the *80 has always been considered perfectly fine for like 3+ gen after.

Are you loving kidding me? The 980Ti was released in May of 2015. That is THREE YEARS and TWO months ago. In computer terms, that is an old card.

Perfectly fine or not, its still old under computer terms.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ramadu posted:

Pshaw, you’re probably a poor that doesn’t do 32Gb on an i7. Get a retirement, hippy.

EvilMerlin posted:

And roughly the same cost.

You build that rig special-like?

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Ramadu posted:

Yep.

These guys will go to any length to protect their investment, it's amusing.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Hav posted:

And roughly the same cost.

You build that rig special-like?

Again, roughly the same cost due to miners....

Special like? I built it because I lost my gaming computer in my move (dropped it and the CPU cooler cracked the motherboard).

So no, its just a new computer.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I had a 580 until I upgraded to the 980, which I only did to run vr. The *80 series has always been a powerhouse.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

JugbandDude posted:

Yep.

No clue what this has to do with the investment in the 1080Ti. I paid 750 for it in late February when NewEgg got them in stock. If you seriously think the 1080Ti isn't better than the 980Ti, you really shouldn't bother with computer hardware in the future

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

McGiggins posted:

I had a 580 until I upgraded to the 980, which I only did to run vr. The *80 series has always been a powerhouse.

Yeah this was my upgrade path too. 580 to 980, to 1080.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

EvilMerlin posted:

Are you loving kidding me? The 980Ti was released in May of 2015. That is THREE YEARS and TWO months ago. In computer terms, that is an old card.

Perfectly fine or not, its still old under computer terms.

That is still after star citizen was supposed to launch so I stand by it. And a 3 year old card isn’t old in computer terms at all. I used a 570 till this year and still managed to get 60fps on 1080p just fine. Thats an old card

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I have a 970 and it's still good

(And a i5 2500k :v:)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

JugbandDude posted:

Yep.

“They’re developing for a future spec” <builds fan monster PC>

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

minimum recommended specs: one of the most expensive GPUs on the planet.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

btw you're still lucky to get more than 25 fps with that.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Ramadu posted:

That is still after star citizen was supposed to launch so I stand by it. And a 3 year old card isn’t old in computer terms at all. I used a 570 till this year and still managed to get 60fps on 1080p just fine. Thats an old card

Are you loving kidding me? 3 years is old for computer tech.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

EvilMerlin posted:

No clue what this has to do with the investment in the 1080Ti. I paid 750 for it in late February when NewEgg got them in stock. If you seriously think the 1080Ti isn't better than the 980Ti, you really shouldn't bother with computer hardware in the future

That’s not what anyone is saying. No one is saying the 1080 isn’t a better card. We are saying it’s not an old card. Don’t be willfully dense, words aren’t hard.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
https://i.imgur.com/2IwK5FB.gifv

Coming soon to SC, to accompany that stupid warthog knockoff that I can't be bothered to remember the name of.

Maybe this one will stay upright, unlike the hover versions.

Still gonna lose its wheels and explode to the first ramp it sees.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Ramadu posted:

That’s not what anyone is saying. No one is saying the 1080 isn’t a better card. We are saying it’s not an old card. Don’t be willfully dense, words aren’t hard.

You're talking to a citizen.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

EvilMerlin posted:

Maybe in 2002 when stuff was iterating every 2 months or whatever. It’s 2018 now and stuff is a lot slower to come out.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Thread please don't eat each other.

Ive had to leave our intrepid citizers becuase it is almost midnight, I don't feel like staying at the lab overnight again and I need to catch the last bus.

I'm going to try to run into them again tomorrow.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

McGiggins posted:

Ive had to leave our intrepid citizers becuase it is almost midnight, I don't feel like staying at the lab overnight again and I need to catch the last bus.

Goon speed commando, you did good work.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Hav posted:

No.

It’s one of the problems with their explanation, you don’t simply rebase and call it a day. I think they spent 2017 trying to unfuck the base to work on Lumberyard, and the 3 day thing was an attempt to suggest that the move was trivial for other messaging.

Like the initial letters from Crytek’s legal counsel. Git -preserves history-, moving backwards and branching doesn’t automagically include everything from ‘the future’, and their pace has been glacial.

I'm talking about their "transition complete in 2 days (or 3 days?)" and the explanation they gave for it ( some developer writing at the frontier forums, he seemed to be legit).

I completely agree that if they wanted to catch up with Lumberyard, any Lumberyard release version, they would have tons of work to do.
But what they claimed to be a transition back then when they announced it was a big pile of nothing.
See that jpeg with the "tree" and blue / red lines they had at the time for reference.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

McGiggins posted:

You're like the David Attenborough of star citizer.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
One of them was really rude and refused to acknowledge my questions or presence at all, and the other was quite nice and openly aprehenisve about the project. He didnt even know about ground vehicles or planet landings, so it was difficult to sound him out without revealing I was not in fact a noob who had heard nothing about the project since 2012.

As far as he is away, the project has crowdfunded 100 million.

Much as been goonsayed in this thread about the level of the individual backers attention and attachment to the pr0ject, and I believe tonight I associated with a true believer and a casual backer. I think that perhaps a lot of the "playerbase" is perhaps not really aware of much of the project. They check in, see it's not out, and check out, retaining no knowledge of the project. That's just my small take away from this admittedly limited interaction with the citizer-y.

The casual had only the starter ship, while the true believer had some sort of vertical small cargo transport ship.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

shoulda said you saw the e3 trailer ez

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
He said they "do a worryingly large number of e3 presentations"

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress I missed my bus. Hopefully my card still works at midnight on that lab

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AbstractNapper posted:

I'm talking about their "transition complete in 2 days (or 3 days?)" and the explanation they gave for it ( some developer writing at the frontier forums, he seemed to be legit).

I completely agree that if they wanted to catch up with Lumberyard, any Lumberyard release version, they would have tons of work to do.
But what they claimed to be a transition back then when they announced it was a big pile of nothing.
See that jpeg with the "tree" and blue / red lines they had at the time for reference.

Yeah, I think that was _a lie_ intended to foreshadow the Crytek lawsuit. Initial contacts from the lawyers would have provoked the same 'flight' response they had in refunding the good Doctor. I'm pulling this out of my rear end, but I suspect that the timing of the decision had something to do with the claim. If Crytek said all the same poo poo in their initial contacts that they whipped out for the lawsuit...

Remember that Chris goes the righteous indignation route and _started_ by questioning the motives of a reporter producing a story. He has quite the 'gently caress them all' attitude when he's not doing a sweaty mea culpa.

Classic Streisand, too.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

EvilMerlin posted:

Only if you buy the latest shiny new overhyped complete and total bollocks every year like an easily led fanboy and tweet about it and laugh at poors who can't have it cos you are the best, the absolute best.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

Only if you buy the latest shiny new overhyped complete and total bollocks every year like an easily led fanboy and tweet about it and laugh at poors who can't have it cos you are the best, the absolute best.

Quit doxxing me.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Hav posted:

Yeah, I think that was _a lie_ intended to foreshadow the Crytek lawsuit. Initial contacts from the lawyers would have provoked the same 'flight' response they had in refunding the good Doctor. I'm pulling this out of my rear end, but I suspect that the timing of the decision had something to do with the claim. If Crytek said all the same poo poo in their initial contacts that they whipped out for the lawsuit...

Remember that Chris goes the righteous indignation route and _started_ by questioning the motives of a reporter producing a story. He has quite the 'gently caress them all' attitude when he's not doing a sweaty mea culpa.

Classic Streisand, too.

Brian wotshisname, the beegee looking guy in deutchsland, said they switched engines after taking legal advice, because they were getting 'zero support' from the Cryteks.

Then they swapped out the logos in 2 days, job done.

By 'legal advice' I think they meant they put a coin in Ortwin's coffin, cranked the handle, and the green lightbulb lit up and the red lightbulb stayed off

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Goons committed crimes. It is known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sarsapariller posted:

Goons committed crimes. It is known.

I did too. I went 5 MPH over the limit on an interstate. :ohdear: