Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

iirc HR/MD gave you experience if you ghosted through an area so if you wanted even more you could backtrack after you hit the trigger and do non-lethal takedowns on everyone (I think lethal gave you less exp).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

JustJeff88 posted:

Care to elaborate on that? I'm a freaky OCD completionist type, which is the major reason I've never played a Pokemon game in my life.

I just meant that if you kill everyone technically you get more xp. But not enough, on any difficulty, to matter enough to min max rather than approaching the game how you want.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

They gave less XP and were also much louder, funnily enough. Which sort of defeated the purpose of killing from stealth.

They were absurdly violent, though.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
If you optimize your HR playthrough it's possible to unlock every single aug and have XP to spare

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

GUI posted:

iirc HR/MD gave you experience if you ghosted through an area so if you wanted even more you could backtrack after you hit the trigger and do non-lethal takedowns on everyone (I think lethal gave you less exp).

Oh it gets better!
You could ghost through an area to get points for that, then perform non-lethal takedowns to get XP for that, then shoot the unconscious people in the head to get headshot XP!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

1. I was very clearly talking / asking about Shifter.

The_White_Crane posted:

Oh it gets better!
You could ghost through an area to get points for that, then perform non-lethal takedowns to get XP for that, then shoot the unconscious people in the head to get headshot XP!
Definitely not the last one, sadly. Otherways you could farm infinite xp by knocking a guy out and having his friends wake him up.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Xander77 posted:

1. I was very clearly talking / asking about Shifter.

Definitely not the last one, sadly. Otherways you could farm infinite xp by knocking a guy out and having his friends wake him up.

Uh? I... don't get what you're saying.
NPCs that are unconscious can't be woken up, sure, but what does that have to do with getting headshot XP for shooting them once they're down?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The_White_Crane posted:

NPCs that are unconscious can't be woken up, sure, but what does that have to do with getting headshot XP for shooting them once they're down?
1. They can be.

2. Once you've knocked someone out, you don't get any more XP for anything that happens to them.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Some cool tricks in the SGDQ for Deus Ex
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vCFq-jr4U4

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm pretty sure you always got ghost so long as no one was ever alerted to your presence, which in most cases means it's easier to knock everyone out, or at least most of them. Leaving everyone alive and still getting past unnoticed is a lot harder and more realistic and should have been rewarded as well.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

JustJeff88 posted:

Care to elaborate on that? I'm a freaky OCD completionist type, which is the major reason I've never played a Pokemon game in my life.

I loved when Human Revolution came out and people with brain problems went out of their way to obsessively hack every single computer terminal just to get the paltry 10xp reward for doing it and then griped about how unfun it was.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I hacked every computer despite having the codes because I really really like the hacking minigame.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Momomo posted:

I hacked every computer despite having the codes because I really really like the hacking minigame.

For every hated mechanic there's always somebody who loves it (except Monkey Kombat obviously). For me it's Alpha Protocol. I just find matching those words in time so drat satisfying, I've literally never bothered to unlock the thing that lets you auto hack.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

jojoinnit posted:

For every hated mechanic there's always somebody who loves it (except Monkey Kombat obviously). For me it's Alpha Protocol. I just find matching those words in time so drat satisfying, I've literally never bothered to unlock the thing that lets you auto hack.

I think that was hated on PC more than console. The mouse input was read as an analog stick instead of a pointer, which was super counterintuitive.

But put me down as another one that liked the DXHR hacking. It was weirdly zen until the timer started, then it was like “oh poo poo nononono”

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I don't think I ever saw anyone that disliked the hacking in HR. I can maybe see not wanting to do it every time (if you're wrong and hate fun), but I have no idea how someone wouldn't like it.

Patrick_B
Jan 4, 2008
About TNM, according to the developers there are actually almost non forum in-jokes. The only things taken from real forums are the names of the characters and some basic background lore, the whole rest was made up for the game. Personally it never bothered me because I knew this from the start.

This is so frustrating because it unnecessarily drives people away from one of the best games (yes, games, not mods) of all time. The level design (save for the first and last area) and reactivity is fantastic. This game takes everything which made Deus Ex great and does it better.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The whole point of game mechanics, and especially XP rewards is to incentivize the player to do the sorts of things you really want your game to be about. These are how you steer the player without being heavy-handed or restrictive about it. Think about exploration bonuses in every DX game, for example. When you go somewhere and get a bonus for exploring, it's a subtle message that tells you that being thoughtful, learning the area, and planning your approach are worthwhile.

This is why I don't like that Shifter and New Deus Ex give rewards for killing. If you're going down that route of play, the kill is its own reward, i.e. the enemy is no longer stopping you from doing whatever it is that you wanted to do. It's the same reason that lockpicking and control panels don't give you rewards for cracking them open. Giving XP primarily for task completion without breadcrumbing the player there with XP reinforces the idea that you should get as creative as you want and complete the game in as interesting or boring a way as you want. Most of the rest of the XP you get is for exploration or seeing more of the world, which doesn't favor any particular playstyle beyond "See as much of the world as you can," and that's a hallmark trait of a good DX game.

So sure, you can say "Oh just totally ignore the XP reward for killing, anyone who plays the way the game rewards them the most must be a filthy minmaxer" but honestly anyone who plays DX does so because they like good game design, and rewarding the player for certain valid playstyles but not other is not terribly great game design. The smooth operator and ghost bonuses in DXHR and sneaking bonus in shifter are both trying to compensate for this, but both miss the point badly. For DXHR, you're still getting encouraged to take combat instead of dialogue paths, and it's trivial to get both the sneaking bonuses as well as killing most of the people while moving through a level. In Shifter, the sneak bonus scales with how close you get to people without alerting them, which is insane, half the point of being good at sneaking is planning well enough to not have to be that close. I guess I'm curious to hear anyone argue in favor of having kills (or lockpicking, etc) reward XP rather than not in the kind of game DX wants to be. What's the appeal?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Numbers go up, aim good.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Momomo posted:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There’s also virus / work and credit caches in them you don’t get if you use the password so there is a certain powergamer argument to be made. But it is far and away the best minigame of its kind that anyone’s ever made.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Basic Chunnel posted:

There’s also virus / work and credit caches in them you don’t get if you use the password so there is a certain powergamer argument to be made. But it is far and away the best minigame of its kind that anyone’s ever made.

I just don't understand why you would say that when we have Bioshock's Pipe Dream hacking game. :v:

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
What happens if you meet Smuggler for the first time in Hells Kitchen part two?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

They really need to make a mobile game out of it, it was way too good to just let it die with those two games.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Momomo posted:

They really need to make a mobile game out of it, it was way too good to just let it die with those two games.

The title practically writes itself: Deus Hacks

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

What happens if you meet Smuggler for the first time in Hells Kitchen part two?
Then he just sells you stuff. If you try to go to the MJ12 base everyone is already dead.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Casimir Radon posted:

Then he just sells you stuff. If you try to go to the MJ12 base everyone is already dead.

That was my first two playthroughs, and I was surprised to see you could visit it in the first time and see MJ12 so early in the game. The MJ12 base, not Smuggler.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Also just sayin, GMDX makes your strength aug on at all times. My face when I accidentally strength chucked a body at wall instead of leisurely letting it down like I intended: :stare:

Just saying "he exploded" is not a proper description of what I saw.

I'm 20 pages and 2 years back, but throwing a corpse at a wall hard enough to make it explode needs to trigger the "what a shame" line.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I'm 20 pages and 2 years back, but throwing a corpse at a wall hard enough to make it explode needs to trigger the "what a shame" line.

:drat: this thread moves slowly.

I tried to play DX on my laptop, but it’s a Dell and not recognizing the adapter, so it’s always in low power mode. Somehow, that slows my laptop enough to make DX basically unplayable.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

:drat: this thread moves slowly.

I tried to play DX on my laptop, but it’s a Dell and not recognizing the adapter, so it’s always in low power mode. Somehow, that slows my laptop enough to make DX basically unplayable.

CPU throttling is a thing laptops do in power saver mode. Go into your power settings and change it so that it doesn't throttle the CPU when in battery mode so you can play the game.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I played through all of DX1 in power throttling mode. I thought it was some kind of in-game mechanic where your leg health determined your run speed. JC please just run at the same speed all the time instead of slowing down for no reason :negative:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That seems crazy. A game from 2000 should scream on a modern laptop CPU even in low power mode.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Not that this should surprise anyone but it’s been 17 years and I found a thing in DX I never encountered before

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John_A_Tallon posted:

CPU throttling is a thing laptops do in power saver mode. Go into your power settings and change it so that it doesn't throttle the CPU when in battery mode so you can play the game.

Dell has a thing where it does it at a BIOS level if it doesn’t recognize the adapter.

Not that it matters, just went to double check and the screen is busted. Whomp whomp.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Basic Chunnel posted:

Not that this should surprise anyone but it’s been 17 years and I found a thing in DX I never encountered before

What was it

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

friendly 2 da void posted:

IMHO Deus Ex's "great level design" depended hugely on its story and atmosphere, it really felt like you were exploring secret illuminati bases and the streets of dystopian future NYC. That was huge in 2000 and even today very few games have matched it.

Replacing that incredible sense of place with levels based on insufferable forums in-jokes makes me incredibly wary.

This is absolutely true, and I think is the great distinction between OG Deus Ex and games like DX:HR and Dishonored which sough to replicate that 'feel' and sense of place. OG DX's level design has almost certainly been surpassed by its descendants, but I dont think any game has come close to embedding that level design in a story, atmosphere and sense of place that come together to make it feel so got-danged natural (as I type this, in fact, I feel like Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, achieved this). In later games the multi-linear level design seems to take center stage, as if the rest of the game was designed around this, so that its artifice becomes much more apparent.

DX's level design isnt all that earth shattering, looking back, what I recall most vividly as an 18 year old playing it in 2000 is nothing more complicated than breaking into an abandoned tower and sniping from it at an adjacent MJ12 (or NSF?) base of operations.....simple, but I truly felt like I was in a got-damned John Carpenter movie because the atmosphere and sense of place was truly immersive.

Removed from its unique context, that level design isnt nearly as effective.

gently caress I love Deus Ex.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Broke into a random house in Paris and despite getting the same stock soundbite from every other such object in the game I activated a desk phone for kicks and ended up getting threatened by Icarus

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

Basic Chunnel posted:

Broke into a random house in Paris and despite getting the same stock soundbite from every other such object in the game I activated a desk phone for kicks and ended up getting threatened by Icarus

Got that on my first playthrough (7 years ago already?) and jumped out of my seat. IIRC, that's the only phone in the game that rings, right?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

there's also the public bulletin terminals that, in paris, change to

code:
ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
 ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
  ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
   ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
    ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
     ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
      ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
       ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
        ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
        RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
       RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
      RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
     RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
    RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
   RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
  RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
 RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
which scared the poo poo out of me way back when

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

Got that on my first playthrough (7 years ago already?) and jumped out of my seat. IIRC, that's the only phone in the game that rings, right?

I'm pretty sure most if not all phones ring but you either get an out of service message or a "you are not authorized" message

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Simiain posted:

This is absolutely true, and I think is the great distinction between OG Deus Ex and games like DX:HR and Dishonored which sough to replicate that 'feel' and sense of place. OG DX's level design has almost certainly been surpassed by its descendants, but I dont think any game has come close to embedding that level design in a story, atmosphere and sense of place that come together to make it feel so got-danged natural (as I type this, in fact, I feel like Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, achieved this). In later games the multi-linear level design seems to take center stage, as if the rest of the game was designed around this, so that its artifice becomes much more apparent.

Prey (2017) and VTM: Bloodlines are the only games that have ever given me the same feeling.

If anyone in this thread is a Deus Ex fan and hasn't played the new Prey yet, I envy you. Play it. It's got the magic.

double nine posted:

there's also the public bulletin terminals that, in paris, change to

code:
ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
 ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
  ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
   ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
    ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
     ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
      ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
       ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
        ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!