Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

In what way does it make a difference with TV?

The vast majority of scripted content is filmed at 24 fps.

That 24fps comes to your TV via 720p60, 1080i60, 1080p60, 720p30, 1080p30, and 4kp60 depending on your source. The TV has to know how to reverse what the carrier signal has done to the native frame cadence and then apply a proper 5:5 pulldown so you get a nice even 24fps displayed at 120hz.

Bolded is the only input that my C6 will do that properly on. The 7 series can also do 1080p60 and I think 4kp60. The 8 series (C and up) should hopefully be able to handle the rest properly. The 30hz signals are very popular with OTT streaming providers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Thanks goons. Is the input lag difference worth worrying about between 21 v 15 ms? Again, asking regarding competitive multiplayer content, CoD, Battlefield/front etc.

I'm not a twitcher or whatever, would just like to not handicap myself further than I already am with my skills being average.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You’re not going to notice 6ms of latency.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thanks goons. Is the input lag difference worth worrying about between 21 v 15 ms? Again, asking regarding competitive multiplayer content, CoD, Battlefield/front etc.

Both those numbers will be indistinguishable to you. I basically don't trust anyone that claims they can tell the difference between 15ms and 21ms latency.

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there much improvement from the LG OLED55C7 to the C8?

The B7 (basically the same as the C7 as I understand it) is currently £1299 in Richer Sounds. Nowhere seems to have the C8 in stock at the moment but I imagine it'll start at around £3000.

I've no intentions of paying that for a C8 even if it's a great improvement over last year's sets but I don't know of I should just go for the B7.

Mainly to be used for Xbox gaming, and streaming.

I got my b7 from Richer Sounds last month. If you're getting one check if they have a £100 off discount code.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

American McGay posted:

The benefits of an OLED screen visually outweigh any combination of the negatives. The ONLY negative that mattered about it was the price and that's steadily becoming a non-issue as well. If an OLED is in your budget, you buy it. That's the rule.

Do OLED displays smaller than 55" seriously not exist at all?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

nielsm posted:

No. They started out as a high premium product and no one wants a small TV in that segment.

Obviously they've gotten cheaper by now but the assembly has never been adjusted as there is little reason for it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I'd settle for a 49" OLED at 1080p if it was a grand cheaper than the 4K sets.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

nielsm posted:

You can get a first generation PlayStation Vita! Probably a lot smaller than you're looking for though. They're still in weird demand though so expect to spend $150-200 for one. The media consumption applications are generally poor performing, so don't get your hopes up.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

nielsm posted:

Does the iPhone X count?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

55" it's the size at which manufacturers put effort into TVs with the only exception being the 49" X900E/F.

Anything smaller than that, throw a dart.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
For $20,000 you can get a 30" sony oled display

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Would this make much difference for gaming? I'm not a sports fan so don't care about the impact on that, but if movies, TV and gaming would see an improvement I'll wait.

Is the lower response time on LED TVs compared to OLED noticeable with multiplayer?

There is no difference on this latency wise. However, game mode HDR is improved on the C8. The C8 can do dynamic tone mapping in game mode, and the 7 series oleds cannot.

For the 7 series, there is compromise to get the low latency unfortunately. Game mode, and PC-Input mode both get you 21ms of latency but they are both broken. SDR Game mode is stuck in wide color gamut, and PC input mode HDR is truncated at 8bits. There is no easy way to switch modes (far too involving to make a macro out of), so you either live with over saturated colors or you're stuck with broken hdr. I'm unaware if the situation is improved for the 8 series.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Don Lapre posted:

For $20,000 you can get a 30" sony oled display

It even had an HDMI input now!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

weaaddar posted:

There is no difference on this latency wise. However, game mode HDR is improved on the C8. The C8 can do dynamic tone mapping in game mode, and the 7 series oleds cannot.

For the 7 series, there is compromise to get the low latency unfortunately. Game mode, and PC-Input mode both get you 21ms of latency but they are both broken. SDR Game mode is stuck in wide color gamut, and PC input mode HDR is truncated at 8bits. There is no easy way to switch modes (far too involving to make a macro out of), so you either live with over saturated colors or you're stuck with broken hdr. I'm unaware if the situation is improved for the 8 series.

I wish I could jump forward 5 years when hopefully all this stuff is resolved and the prices are lower.

The B7 is very tempting at the moment as it's down to £1299, but the C8 really does seem to do a better job with the HDR stuff than last year's models and it's got that luminance dimming function too.

Anyone here got a B7?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Anyone here got a B7?

Several of us do.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I wish I could jump forward 5 years when hopefully all this stuff is resolved and the prices are lower.

There will always be something.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I've seen comments on other forums that the B7 has lower input lag than the C8 for gaming, is this the broken bit people talk about?

Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread, I just want to make sure I'm choosing wisely.

My main concern is that I get the best response times for multiplayer gaming, where I'm not worried if I have to switch off HDR. If I'm playing campaign, I don't mind the higher input lag if it gets me HDR.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 7, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Variable 5 posted:

Several of us do.

I got a 65" B7 I'm trying to sell for $1500 because I got it for my Mom and she says it's intimidating huge and refuses to use it.

Great TV once you finally figure out how to get HDR working from a windows media server though.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

It's that time again - looking for some TV recommendations!

Looks like the wife and I are upgrading to a newer TV in the next 6 months. This is what we have right now. It's 5 years old and it's been a great TV, but now we're looking to get a newer one for the living room and then move the old one to the bedroom.

We don't need fancy features. All I really want is something at least 55", and with a low response time (we do a lot of gaming). With our entertainment center setup, I can fit a TV that's up to 34.5" height w/ stand.

I go to Costco once every couple weeks so I'll keep an eye out there. If we don't get something before Black Friday, well... that might be the day to do it!

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
The rec is probably the new 55” TCL.

Huskers
May 9, 2009
TCL 6 series is on sale at Bestbuy $60 off 55", $127 off 65". I'd been watching them for a while and pulled the trigger on the 55".

I'm no videophile and have been using my PC for most media. Tested some streaming sports, Netflix HDR, and OTA--it seemed to handle it all pretty well. Good enough for me, at least.

A few reviews of dirty screen effects and vertical banding had me a little wary, but my panel didn't have any issues.

Seems like a pretty great value/budget set.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I too am about to buy a new TV. I haven't kept up with the suggested brands/models in years. I read the last few pages and it looks like the TCL P Series is the pick right now? 55P607? The internet reviews seem good. My current TV is a 9 year old 52" 1080p LCD from Samsung.

Edit: sorry, I see now that the TCL only comes in 55" and the Best Buy version is the cheapest.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-led-p6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/5878705.p?skuId=5878705

The 65" Vizio M series is around $1100 and a bit more than I would like to spend. How much worse is the E Series?

https://www.target.com/p/vizio-e-series-65-class-64-5-diag-4k-hdr-smart-tv-black-e65-f0/-/A-50651388

55" TCL P6 or 65" Vizio E Series? Which one would you pick, Goons?

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 15, 2018

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How about the TCL R615/R617?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Well I ended up buying the 2017 TCL55". On clearance for $550!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-led-p6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/5878705.p?skuId=5878705

The 2018 version came out last month with more local dimming zones, but they stupidly changed the feet to stick out at a really wide angle so you need about 48" to put the TV on a stand. Very bad design.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Are there usually any good deals for TVs on Prime Day? Any anticipation/predictions? Ive been holding off buying an OLED to see whats happening tomorrow.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 15, 2018

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Green Gloves posted:

Are there usually any good deals for TVs on Prime Day? Any anticipation/predictions? Ive been holding off buying an OLED to see whats happening tomorrow.

Prime Day has been a big joke every year since inception, but hey, waiting one day? Sure, why not.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
If you're just itching for a FireTV enabled TV (for some reason) Amazon typically has good sales on those for obvious reasons. Not much on all the others.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you have your TV on a stand/shelf rather than wall mounted, where did you decide to put your soundbar? Sitting it in front of the tv is easiest but looks a little off, especially with the Sony TVs that have a base that sticks out far in front of the tv. Maybe put the tv on a riser or something?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

smackfu posted:

If you have your TV on a stand/shelf rather than wall mounted, where did you decide to put your soundbar? Sitting it in front of the tv is easiest but looks a little off, especially with the Sony TVs that have a base that sticks out far in front of the tv. Maybe put the tv on a riser or something?

You can buy lower-profile adjustable legs on Amazon. They screw into the VESA mount holes so pretty universal

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

eddiewalker posted:

Prime Day has been a big joke every year since inception, but hey, waiting one day? Sure, why not.

So this random list of stuff like 2 bucks off of a loving Ford Escape door hinge isn't just amazon.ca?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Prime Day has this Sony X720E on sale for 40% off, is it any good?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Not really. Reviews are poor and I don't think it has local dimming. TCL 55" is the usual recommendation. That's what I just bought.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/55-inch

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
They have $500 off the X850F taking it to $3998 which is the lowest I've seen it.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
3998 :shittypop:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

You can buy lower-profile adjustable legs on Amazon. They screw into the VESA mount holes so pretty universal

I will need to check that out because the soundbar is also blocking the TV it receiver, in addition to just looking dumb.

Why can’t technology purchases just be easy?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The 65" X900E is 1898 in Canada for Prime day. drat I wish I had that cash.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Why would anyone buy those Sony's when the LG B7 OLEDs are about the same price?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Why would anyone buy those Sony's when the LG B7 OLEDs are about the same price?

That's canadian prices?

On amazon in the states at least, the B7 is still 2k+ while the Sony is under 1500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The 65" B7 is $1000/50% more, just on a quick search of BB.