Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Taco maker in the morning, lawyer in the afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Kinda wanna hire Mr. NICE now.

Yeah I think the guy might be a competent lawyer because he explained that poo poo way better than I would have.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Also, that recording is hilarious and I would have loving died. On the spot.

Luckily that wouldn't have happened here, the appeal would just have been denied after not getting remedied sufficiently the first time and he'd have never seen the courthouse with it.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Can't believe this modern-day Van Buren/Jefferson Davis hasn't been posted.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.a4c0ec674781

quote:

The mutton-chopped Virginia defense lawyer, a onetime Civil War reenactor who has become the legal face of the white nationalist movement, was being asked by opposing attorneys in a federal lawsuit to do something seemingly minor: Call their client — Emily Gorcenski, a prominent counterprotester during last year’s violent “Unite the Right” rally — by her legal female name in court pleadings. Stop referring to the transgender activist by her original male name or with male pronouns.

Woodard — who represents Christopher Cantwell, known as the “crying Nazi,” in the lawsuit — ignored them. Although Gorcen­ski’s attorneys called the tactic a form of “intentional harassment” causing her “undue humiliation,” Woodard doubled down.

“Despite his efforts to the contrary, Gorcenski is not in fact a female human being, having been born with and retaining the XY chromosome,” Woodard wrote in a February motion to the federal judge, Norman K. Moon. “Further, Gorcenski’s presenting himself as a female is untruthful, mendacious and deceptive. He is free to suffer the consequences of his decision, but has no right to force others to condone his lie.”

Woodard then tried to win over the judge with an attempt at humor.

“A United States District Court Judge is not a ‘transmagistrate’ . . . any more than counsel for Plaintiff is ‘transthin,’ ‘trans­young,’ or ‘trans-not-balding,’ ” he wrote. “This motion should not be transdenied, but rather granted.”

It didn’t work. The motion was denied.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Pook Good Mook posted:

This face has never kissed a woman who wasn't related to him (consentually without pay).

Edit: I really hope bama lawyer's clients had no valid claim.

Edit2: Ignoring everything else that makes him a clear poo poo stain, this still got a "hell yeah" from me

quote:

Pressed to elaborate, Woodard said: “Just because I represent a pervert doesn’t mean I support perversion. I represent murderers, drug dealers and perverts. Miraculously, I’m not one of them. If you know any, send them my way — only the rich ones.”

nm fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 3, 2018

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
See this is what happens when Revenge of the Nerds metastasizes in to a world view ethos.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

joat mon posted:

Dang. Go Navy, then. In the mid 90s the SpCMs at Lejune ran about 45% unauthorized absences, 40% hot urinalysises and 15% everything else.

Probably a combination of

A. Marine culture is a little different. They’d court-martial a ham sandwich for not having enough mustard.

B. Post 9/11 fighting 2 wars commands don’t want to waste the time or money.

As an SJA my advice was generally “do you think this person deserves no poo poo jail time and/or a federal conviction, or do you just want them gone?” If the view was not “yes they deserve brig time and a criminal record” we went for admin boards.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

Linguistically clever, morally repugnant. An attorney, in other words.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

it's like all my sexual fantasies about Phil Mouskewitz were brought to life

horrible, shambling life

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

As an SJA my advice was generally “do you think this person deserves no poo poo jail time and/or a federal conviction, or do you just want them gone?” If the view was not “yes they deserve brig time and a criminal record” we went for admin boards.

hosed up that a non-lawyer gets to call the shots imo. What’s even the point of being a minister of justice if you still have to look like you’re listening intently to a client?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Eh. The boss usually followed my advice. But that’s basically the argument for removing certain cases from the military justice system all together.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

A person I loathe with the fire of a thousand suns (as does pretty much everyone) has just been disclosed as an “expert.” Literally salivating.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Quick poll: When Opposing Counsel gets fired for cause, should new counsel from the same firm get the benefit of an unopposed continuance or should the answer be “tough luck, you are successor to whatever the last guy hosed up deal w/it.”

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 13, 2021

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

He's gonna get it from the judge of they fired the guy from the firm.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

I finally listened to this and wow. This is magical.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
It needs to be a rule of civ pro that an unopposed motion for continuance should always be granted within the Supreme Court's guidelines for case length

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I never game deadlines so I'm shocked when others do, or when people think it's the winning strategy. I'm not trying to room anyone's life with bad settings and I expect the same courtesy.

I usually get it though? Maybe it's because I'm extremely not healthy so I get slack?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

What grinds my gears is just the firm made the call to fire the guy when they did, they should arrange coverage.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I never game deadlines so I'm shocked when others do, or when people think it's the winning strategy. I'm not trying to room anyone's life with bad settings and I expect the same courtesy.

I usually get it though? Maybe it's because I'm extremely not healthy so I get slack?

In crim law you work with the same attorneys over and over and over so you have everything to lose "gaming" wins that way because the next time you need something the opposition is less likely to work with you. The only time timing thing anyone raises a stink over is if you've got an expert scheduled for a date you can't move, or "discovery" as a reason for continuing has been abused and the judge should hear why poo poo is getting pushed for the third time.

Most of the time the judge is going to put their foot down before the other attorney will. Especially if the defendant is in jail.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

yronic heroism posted:

What grinds my gears is just the firm made the call to fire the guy when they did, they should arrange coverage.

"For cause" typically means they did something blatantly illegal and need to be gone NOW. You can't really do an orderly transition when the guy was caught embezzling funds or assaulting a coworker.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
This dude is going to work at basically the epicenter of big law in my city. I don't have the heart to tell him the horrible truth...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Sab0921 posted:

This dude is going to work at basically the epicenter of big law in my city. I don't have the heart to tell him the horrible truth...

I can't watch the video so what if child bad :thunk:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Hoshi posted:

I can't watch the video so what if child bad :thunk:

The video is about toddler aged children representing themselves in deportation proceedings.

I just can't tell him that he sold his soul to big law....he will not have, be encouraged to or really given the opportunity to help these kids - not when sig page packets need to go out tomorrow - the fuckin asylum pro bono poo poo better wait

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Sab0921 posted:

The video is about toddler aged children representing themselves in deportation proceedings.

I just can't tell him that he sold his soul to big law....he will not have, be encouraged to or really given the opportunity to help these kids - not when sig page packets need to go out tomorrow - the fuckin asylum pro bono poo poo better wait

Eh. Biglaw loves to have their associates do that kind of poo poo (up to a point). Makes them look good, lets the partners feel like they have souls, and gets them into the yearly “this firm has good pro bono!” writeup. Especially lit associates, since it’s the only way they’re getting stand up experience any time soon.

He’ll probably get a chance to do that kind of thing... for 50-100 of his 2500 billable hours.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

yronic heroism posted:

Quick poll: When Opposing Counsel gets fired for cause, should new counsel from the same firm get the benefit of an unopposed continuance or should the answer be “tough luck, you are successor to whatever the last guy hosed up deal w/it.”

Agree with pook. The habeas attorneys have really high turnover so I get this call a lot. There are some things I will say “tough poo poo” to (request to amend a petition for the fifth time a month before trial on a 2014 docket number case) but “hey. I just got this file dumped on me. Help?” No need to be an rear end. There is one firm I oppose everything on principle.... but they worked really hard to earn that.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Kalman posted:

Eh. Biglaw loves to have their associates do that kind of poo poo (up to a point). Makes them look good, lets the partners feel like they have souls, and gets them into the yearly “this firm has good pro bono!” writeup. Especially lit associates, since it’s the only way they’re getting stand up experience any time soon.

He’ll probably get a chance to do that kind of thing... for 50-100 of his 2500 billable hours.

We get 20 - that 20 better not interfere with billable work either.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Florida bar rules strongly encourage every lawyer perform at least 20 hours/year or donate $375 to a legal aid fund. You can carry over excess pro bono up to 3 years

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Lol strongly

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I was terrible at pro bono work and stopped doing it the moment I qualified (in UK we do 2 years on half pay as a trainee first, which is like being a first second year associate with less cash but no law school debt).

I remember sniggering inappropriately when doing civic centre work for a guy who had gone bald and wanted to sue the company that sold him lovely hair restoration product (snake oil). I feel bad about that now.

OTOH I did rewrite and unfuck a lovely franchising contract for a Somali immigrant who wanted to start up a kwik-copy printing and reprographics business so she could be financially independent of her abusive husband. That felt good.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

Agree with pook. The habeas attorneys have really high turnover so I get this call a lot. There are some things I will say “tough poo poo” to (request to amend a petition for the fifth time a month before trial on a 2014 docket number case) but “hey. I just got this file dumped on me. Help?” No need to be an rear end. There is one firm I oppose everything on principle.... but they worked really hard to earn that.

Fair enough.

Konstantin posted:

"For cause" typically means they did something blatantly illegal and need to be gone NOW. You can't really do an orderly transition when the guy was caught embezzling funds or assaulting a coworker.

I get that, but part of me says that’s on the managing partners for a bad hire and I want to see partners canceling their golf commitments to get their own hands dirty (assuming a non-complex case, which this is). Arguably a dickish position but I feel they should accept a certain amount of pain along with their associates.

OTOH that will never happen so the good thing to do is be nice to the hostage associate.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 4, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

There’s zero enforcement mechanism behind it if you don’t. You are required to report donated hours/money once annually even if you did nothing, though. So you can say gently caress pro bono work, but you have to tell the bar you did zero hours that year and couldn’t be assed to donate $375 instead.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

yronic heroism posted:

Fair enough.

I get that, but part of me says that’s on the managing partners for a bad hire and I want to see partners canceling their golf commitments to get their own hands dirty (assuming a non-complex case, which this is). Arguably a dickish position but I feel they should accept a certain amount of pain along with their associates.

OTOH that will never happen so the good thing to do is be nice to the hostage associate.

I'm confused why you think denying an extension will make the partner cancel their golf commitment. It'll just make the associate stay up all night and get double bitched at by the partner.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Mr. Nice! posted:

There’s zero enforcement mechanism behind it if you don’t. You are required to report donated hours/money once annually even if you did nothing, though. So you can say gently caress pro bono work, but you have to tell the bar you did zero hours that year and couldn’t be assed to donate $375 instead.

Yeah, Tennessee does that too.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Arcturas posted:

I'm confused why you think denying an extension will make the partner cancel their golf commitment. It'll just make the associate stay up all night and get double bitched at by the partner.

I get that, hence “otoh”

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Incorporating by reference para 1-x where x is the paragraph before the first claim would have been fine. It's blanket "everything before this point is realleged" that the 11th circuit doesn't like, and there are a long string of cases including the one I pointed out that say specifically "do not do that because it's treated as incorporating previous claims into subsequent ones." It's a minor procedural quibble, but literally changing the first sentence of each claim to exactly what you typed instead of the blanket phrase would have been acceptable.

Re-alleging every single paragraph is SOP for every complaint I've read. (Not in the Eleventh Circuit, so it doesn't really matter. Just one of those little "wait, you call your clerk's office a 'Prothonotary?'" moments.)

One of my pet peeves is that under our court rules, you have three options in a responsive pleading: admit, deny, or deny for lack of information or belief. Most importantly anything not denied is admitted.

98% of the answers I read respond with "neither admit nor deny but leave plaintiffs to their strictest proofs." Which if we are actually applying the rules is an admission. I'd like to see cases get dismissed en masse until someone puts that phrase out of its misery, but there's a reason research attorneys aren't judges.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Alaemon posted:

One of my pet peeves is that under our court rules, you have three options in a responsive pleading: admit, deny, or deny for lack of information or belief. Most importantly anything not denied is admitted.

98% of the answers I read respond with "neither admit nor deny but leave plaintiffs to their strictest proofs." Which if we are actually applying the rules is an admission. I'd like to see cases get dismissed en masse until someone puts that phrase out of its misery, but there's a reason research attorneys aren't judges.

Texas has general denials. 1 page that says "nope". It's awesome.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Roger_Mudd posted:

Texas has general denials. 1 page that says "nope". It's awesome.

this is basically the only good part of texas civil procedure

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Has anybody dealt with producing emails but having to redact something from one of the attachments? Is that possible without doing the production in print?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

Has anybody dealt with producing emails but having to redact something from one of the attachments? Is that possible without doing the production in print?

I thought basically every doc review database had that ability. Each attachment is a separate image that can be redacted and you're not producing the raw files.