Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Walked posted:

GOOSE IS LOOSE

Sleeving up RUG Delver tomorrow

:getin:

I'm sad I sold goyfs now. I wonder if there's sufficient replacements to still play thresh without it. Maybe werebears :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

L0cke17 posted:

I'm sad I sold goyfs now. I wonder if there's sufficient replacements to still play thresh without it. Maybe werebears :getin:

Lot of people on Hooting Mandrills these days.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I am so hype for core set 2019 so I can sleeve up supreme phantom and remorseful cleric

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mezzanon posted:

I am so hype for core set 2019 so I can sleeve up supreme phantom and remorseful cleric

I finally got around to getting a playset of Geiat of Saint Traft last week and I preordered the M19 spirits. My body is ready.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tim Raines IRL posted:

gently caress me for not buying volcanics

I was thinking about getting a Bayou yesterday, but instead I bought everything else I needed for in turbo depths instead.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Star Man posted:

I finally got around to getting a playset of Geiat of Saint Traft last week and I preordered the M19 spirits. My body is ready.

I haven't played in a year but Geist was one of the most reluctant inclusions in the deck and I can't imagine ever wanting four of them. You're already overloaded on three drops and the whole gimmick of the tribe is that your creatures come with evasion already so you can attack even when the board is contested. The last thing you need is a dude fattening out your mana curve who can't swing into anything bigger than a goblin token. A couple somewhere in the 75, sure - even with the addition of the a 2-drop lord, the deck isn't exactly flush with powerhouse cards and there are some matchups where Geist is extremely strong - but the card just doesn't mesh well with the decks' general gameplan.

That said my body is ready as gently caress for this. All Glory to Core Sets.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just like having four copies of stuff. You know, just in case.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Voyager I posted:

I haven't played in a year but Geist was one of the most reluctant inclusions in the deck and I can't imagine ever wanting four of them. You're already overloaded on three drops and the whole gimmick of the tribe is that your creatures come with evasion already so you can attack even when the board is contested. The last thing you need is a dude fattening out your mana curve who can't swing into anything bigger than a goblin token. A couple somewhere in the 75, sure - even with the addition of the a 2-drop lord, the deck isn't exactly flush with powerhouse cards and there are some matchups where Geist is extremely strong - but the card just doesn't mesh well with the decks' general gameplan.

That said my body is ready as gently caress for this. All Glory to Core Sets.

Geist is also at his best in the bant version of the deck where he comes down turn two and swings with exalted triggers

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Mezzanon posted:

Geist is also at his best in the bant version of the deck where he comes down turn two and swings with exalted triggers

Yeah, the nut draw of Hierarch > T2 Geist > Eat poo poo Opponent is fantastic, but it's not something the deck puts out consistently and the card is so prone to coming down midgame and already being outclassed that I'd prefer to run cards that are more consistently on-plan. Again, Spirits is a shallow enough tribe that you reach a point in deck building where those cards may stop existing, but that's still the first place I'm gonna look.

EDIT: some quick-n-dirty math assuming 4x Hierarchs and 3x Geists gives you ~1/10 odds of having both in the same hand.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 4, 2018

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Voyager I posted:

Yeah, the nut draw of Hierarch > T2 Geist > Eat poo poo Opponent is fantastic, but it's not something the deck puts out consistently and the card is so prone to coming down midgame and already being outclassed that I'd prefer to run cards that are more consistently on-plan. Again, Spirits is a shallow enough tribe that you reach a point in deck building where those cards may stop existing, but that's still the first place I'm gonna look.

I think this is probably what I am going to run after core set comes out:

Deck: Bant Spirits

//Lands
2 Botanical Sanctum
2 Breeding Pool
1 Cavern of Souls
3 Flooded Strand
1 Forest
1 Gavony Township
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
1 Plains
1 Razorverge Thicket
1 Temple Garden
3 Windswept Heath
(21)

//Spells
4 Collected Company
3 Path to Exile
(7)

//Creatures
4 Drogskol Captain
3 Geist of Saint Traft
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Rattlechains
4 Selfless Spirit
4 Spell Queller
4 Supreme Phantom
1 Kira, Great Glass Spinner
(32)

//Sideboard
2 Qasali Pridemage
3 Remorseful Cleric
2 Eidolon of Rhetoric
2 Kataki, War's Wage
1 Worship
2 Stony Silence
1 Settle the Wreckage
2 Blessed Alliance

You can make an argument for cutting a fetch for a moorland haunt or for an additional cavern of souls. This puts you in a pretty good position against most of the meta, and makes it so that almost all of your sideboard cards can be hits off CoCo.

you lose out on some weird percentage points against eldrazi tron and affinity G1 by cutting the phantasmal images, but you probably gain significantly more with the extra playset of lords.

The cuts I made to make room for Supreme Phantom were 2x phantasmal image, 1x path to exile (moved to board) and 1x steel of the godhead.
Remorseful cleric replaces Rest in Peace all day every day forever, and gets bumped up to a 3x from a 2x

Sideboard breakdown:

you're a tempo and toolbox deck so you try to have all of your sideboard cards pull double duty (aka be good against multiple archetypes)

- Qasali pride mage is good against affinity, bogles, certain versions of scapeshift, KCI. Plus exalted trigger, and you can hit it off CoCo
- Remorseful cleric comes in against any graveyard deck. Dredge, storm, control, delve decks, KCI, etc. Also it has spirit synergy, and is a fine attacking body, and can be hit off CoCo.
- Eidolon of rhetoric comes in against Storm, control, lantern, any deck that you think wants to cast more than one spell per turn. Plus it survives lightning bolt and anger of the gods and can just sit pretty with worship.
- Kataki, War's Wage comes in against artifact heavy decks like tron, affinity, KCI, etc. also a spirit and can be hit off coco. Also remember at comp REL it is your opponents trigger to remember, not yours.
- Worship. Worship + geist of st traft is a game win vs many decks. Especially mardu pyromancer, eldrazi tron, scapeshift, and many creature decks.
- Stony Silence. play stony silence against affinity and tron.
- settle the wreckage: it’s either this or path #4
- Blessed alliance: Bring in against burn and Bogles, and grixis deaths shadow if you feel spicy. If bogles drops off the face of the earth completely, then you can replace these with rhox war monks.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Rhox War Monk--that's a card that I miss playing with.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I remember awhile back someone was kicking around a B/W Zombies list for Modern that they were tuning. Anyone have a link/list?

I've got a friend who's interested in putting it together, so I was thinking I could forward it there way.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I remember awhile back someone was kicking around a B/W Zombies list for Modern that they were tuning. Anyone have a link/list?

I've got a friend who's interested in putting it together, so I was thinking I could forward it there way.

Hey that was me, this is where I'm at now-

4 Concealed Courtyard
3 Godless Shrine
4 Marsh Flats
1 Plains
10 Swamp
4 Cryptbreaker
4 Death Baron
3 Fatal Push
4 Gravecrawler
2 Liliana of the Veil
4 Lord of the Accursed
3 Path to Exile
3 Relentless Dead
4 Thoughtseize
3 Tidehollow Sculler
4 Wayward Servant
//Sideboard
2 Blessed Alliance
2 Damping Sphere
2 Disenchant
3 Nihil Spellbomb
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2 Stony Silence
2 Zealous Persecution

I'm not 100% on it yet, the Zealous Persecutions could for sure be something else and a goon in the main MtG thread said that Relentless Dead wasn't all that impressive. He splashed green for Lotleth Troll in that spot but didn't say if he cut out white entirely to do so, Servant and Sculler have both been good enough to merit the white splash and a green one on top of that feels a little tight. Personally I want to try Graveyard Marshal in that slot instead.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I’m a member of a modern spirits group on Facebook and god drat do people ever have terrible opinions on spirits.

“SPLASH BLACK FOR BLOODGHAST HUUURRRRR”

Edit: not my deck list, taken from the dumb group.

“I’m playing collective brutality and inquisition over Aether vial”

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 4, 2018

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Discard in Spirits: because if there's one thing a tempo-based tribal creature deck really needs, it's giving up tempo to one-for-one their opponent.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Voyager I posted:

Discard in Spirits: because if there's one thing a tempo-based tribal creature deck really needs, it's giving up tempo to one-for-one their opponent.

I used your quote with predictable results

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Ancestral Vision is without a doubt the best turn one play in Modern, doesn't mean I want to jam it in Affinity

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Sampatrick posted:

Ancestral Vision is without a doubt the best turn one play in Modern, doesn't mean I want to jam it in Affinity

The guy just said “... uh, ancestral visions is bad though”

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Well if the card is bad then it's bad. I'm gonna go trash all these bad Mishra's Baubles.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

I’m a member of a modern spirits group on Facebook and god drat do people ever have terrible opinions on spirits.

“SPLASH BLACK FOR BLOODGHAST HUUURRRRR”

Edit: not my deck list, taken from the dumb group.

“I’m playing collective brutality and inquisition over Aether vial”

Not gonna lie, I really want to cast Lingering Souls in a deck that has eight anthem effects. But I don't think it's quite right for what the deck wants to do and I don't want to have to pick up Vials to go strict UW with the deck.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Not gonna lie, I really want to cast Lingering Souls in a deck that has eight anthem effects. But I don't think it's quite right for what the deck wants to do and I don't want to have to pick up Vials to go strict UW with the deck.

Play b/w tokens.

Or get hierarchs and play bant like a boss

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
For your dumb facebook friend:

You do not have the tools to win a battle of attrition, which is the direction that discard spells push a game. The cards themselves are excellent, yes, but they follow a different game plan than the rest of the Spirits shell. Look at the decks that typically run lots of discard, and note that they're also filled with value engines like Snapcaster Mages and various Commands that let them pull ahead on resources as the game goes later and/or have bomby cards that are difficult to answer can put a game away very quickly if they come down in a topdeck war. Spirits decks run lots of little creatures that make each other better and rely on hitting critical mass to end the game, and they look for disruption attached to bodies like Rattlechains and Spell Queller that let them prevent critical plays while still advancing their own win condition of killing the enemy with an army of flying weenies before the game runs long enough for haymakers to start coming out.

For another example: Dredge is a heavily black deck and could easily manage a suite of discard effects if it wanted them, but a typical list will have no copies of Inquisition or Thoughtseize anywhere in the 75 and only a few copies of Collective Brutality in the sideboard. Why do you think players are choosing not to utilize some of the best cards in the format?

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 4, 2018

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I want it to be known this person is not my friend, they are just some random rear end in a top hat on a Facebook page about modern spirits.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Hey that was me, this is where I'm at now-

4 Concealed Courtyard
3 Godless Shrine
4 Marsh Flats
1 Plains
10 Swamp
4 Cryptbreaker
4 Death Baron
3 Fatal Push
4 Gravecrawler
2 Liliana of the Veil
4 Lord of the Accursed
3 Path to Exile
3 Relentless Dead
4 Thoughtseize
3 Tidehollow Sculler
4 Wayward Servant
//Sideboard
2 Blessed Alliance
2 Damping Sphere
2 Disenchant
3 Nihil Spellbomb
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2 Stony Silence
2 Zealous Persecution

I'm not 100% on it yet, the Zealous Persecutions could for sure be something else and a goon in the main MtG thread said that Relentless Dead wasn't all that impressive. He splashed green for Lotleth Troll in that spot but didn't say if he cut out white entirely to do so, Servant and Sculler have both been good enough to merit the white splash and a green one on top of that feels a little tight. Personally I want to try Graveyard Marshal in that slot instead.

Awesome, thanks! I'll pass this on to them.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

Play b/w tokens.

Or get hierarchs and play bant like a boss

I have everything for Bant already, I've just been too lazy to actually sleeve it up :v: I just really like anthem effects even though they're only good if you build around them.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So RUG Delver is probably going to be my first post B&R adventure in legacy.

But what do you guys think is going to be the place to be? I generally try to keep two decks together just in case.

Have pretty much all the duals 3-4x except Plateau and Scrubland.

Kinda want to make Bant or Shardless work but I'm not sure they're going to be great

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Walked posted:

So RUG Delver is probably going to be my first post B&R adventure in legacy.

But what do you guys think is going to be the place to be? I generally try to keep two decks together just in case.

Have pretty much all the duals 3-4x except Plateau and Scrubland.

Kinda want to make Bant or Shardless work but I'm not sure they're going to be great

If I were a betting man I would be sleeving up Reanimator because that is going to be real good right now

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I still think RUG is going to be worse than Grixis. Maybe cutting Goyfs and adding Pyros? I had a ton of success with that build in the Treasure Cruise days.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
RUG Delver lacks the resources to take advantage of Pyromancer. RUG has a stronger mana denial suite than Grixis and mana denial is going to be very powerful without DRS bolstering everybody's mana bases. Maybe Mandrills can see play now given that TNN will be worse and there will be less delve threats.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Sampatrick posted:

RUG Delver lacks the resources to take advantage of Pyromancer. RUG has a stronger mana denial suite than Grixis and mana denial is going to be very powerful without DRS bolstering everybody's mana bases. Maybe Mandrills can see play now given that TNN will be worse and there will be less delve threats.

This. Thresh is designed to operate on 2 lands, and pyromancer wants you to put 3-4 in at before playing it. It puts you in a really awkward spot in terms of requirements on your mana.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

suicidesteve posted:

I still think RUG is going to be worse than Grixis. Maybe cutting Goyfs and adding Pyros? I had a ton of success with that build in the Treasure Cruise days.
I think the loss of Probe synergy hurts Pyro-centric Grixis builds quite a bit (from both the free cantrip and Therapy angles). What do you think makes Grixis great right now?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

the time of UB Death's Shadow is at hand

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

the time of UB Death's Shadow is at hand

:getin:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What countermagic should I run as a 2x in my Bant Spirits SB? It's currently a three-way race between Unified Will, Disdainful Stroke, and Ceremonious Rejection. The rest of the board is

2 Eidolon of Rhetoric
2 Qasali Pridemage
1 EE
2 Blessed Alliance
2 Stony Silence
1 Worship
1 Shapers' Sanctuary
2 RIP

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

What countermagic should I run as a 2x in my Bant Spirits SB? It's currently a three-way race between Unified Will, Disdainful Stroke, and Ceremonious Rejection. The rest of the board is

2 Eidolon of Rhetoric
2 Qasali Pridemage
1 EE
2 Blessed Alliance
2 Stony Silence
1 Worship
1 Shapers' Sanctuary
2 RIP

Unified will gets my vote

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'd say you really want something that can deal with Terminus / All is Dust since they get around all your normal answers to sweepers. Honestly, you'd probably be okay keeping it basic with humble Negates - they do what you're really worried about them doing, they're broadly useful against almost any of the creature-light decks where you'd look at taking out Paths, and they're reliable.

You could make a good argument for one-mana counters because of how much easier they are to hold up without crippling your own development, but iirc none of the playable ones are gonna work against someone flipping a Terminus.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Unified will counters everything in the matchups you want it for, it gets my vote. Take advantage of having so many critters, it's basically counterspell in the games you'd want it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

2 Eidolon of Rhetoric
2 Qasali Pridemage
1 EE
2 Blessed Alliance
2 Stony Silence
1 Worship
1 Shapers' Sanctuary
2 RIP

Unified Will is your best bet, Tron/Control kinda eat the lunch of a deck like this

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Voyager I posted:

You could make a good argument for one-mana counters because of how much easier they are to hold up without crippling your own development, but iirc none of the playable ones are gonna work against someone flipping a Terminus.

This reminds me actually, I've never quite understood why Swan Song doesn't see more play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Negate. Play 2.