Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
one factor making the tour (and all sports) harder these days is that with globalization, there is a bigger pool of talent to draw from, and even the 6th through 9th dude on each team is a highly trained pro athlete, and not some guy who goes and works on his family's farm during the off season. every stage is raced hard now, and the range of ability amongst all the riders in the race is much narrower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Rockybar posted:

sleigh dogs have the highest vo2 max in nature at up to 300 mL/kg·min and I believe Lance Armstrong was injecting their blood when he was at his peak, which he called ‘buddying up’ (the dogs name was buddy).

This is mesmerizing

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Buddy up, pardner :clint:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Smirr posted:

Buddy up, pardner :clint:

New thread title please

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

That's the funniest poo poo I've read in a while.

Basically you read a story about competitive sled dogs being given PEDs to win the Iditarod. You also read stories about cyclists blood doping...with their own blood. Then you took dropped a fuckload of acid and confabulated the two into one.

He must have read about Operación Puerto in which some of the blood bags were tagged with the name of the athlete's dog (Valverde = Piti). That makes it slightly less ridiculous I guess.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Smirr posted:

mfw reading your post

Same but for injecting dog blood.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Do you think Landis smokes a pound of weed while he watches the Tour?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Do you think Landis smokes a pound of weed while he watches the Tour?

I hope so.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Rockybar posted:

Pro Cycling: I think sleigh dogs have the highest vo2 max in nature at up to 300 mL/kg·min and I believe Lance Armstrong was injecting their blood when he was at his peak, which he called ‘buddying up’ (the dogs name was buddy).

Mods please make this the tread title tia

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Messyass posted:

He must have read about Operación Puerto in which some of the blood bags were tagged with the name of the athlete's dog (Valverde = Piti). That makes it slightly less ridiculous I guess.

Just living my best life with a weekly cocktail of test, EPO, corticosteroids and buddyjuice-infused blood bags

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Aaaayyyyyyyyy :420:

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Messyass posted:

There was also that comic book character who developed his super speed powers after getting a transfusion of mongoose blood.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Sky are going full damage control. They've released a huge amount of stuff from Froome at the Giro.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44694122

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

That's really interesting stuff. For now, the only thing I have to say is "Could also include PP in first bottle" lmao

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I was wondering how his max heart rate on the Finistere stage could be 159, but his resting heart rate is 32. That would do it then lol. Jesus christ

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That's pretty cool

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

Sky are going full damage control. They've released a huge amount of stuff from Froome at the Giro.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44694122

This is awesome. Gonna eat some pizza while I read about his calorie controlled meals

Did he really only consumer 2 bidons worth of fluid for the whole of stage 19? Or could that be just that which has fructose/glucose/electrolytes? I get they want to keep his body and bike weight down but ~1.5 litres of fluid seems real low.

edit: looking at the wrong thing. he drank a whole lot more:

Rockybar fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 4, 2018

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Pretty sure thats just the plan for where the support staff were to be and with what items... e: for the whole team

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Yeah I'm not sure, under Froome's fuelling for the day it says 2 'rockets' which just seems a standard electrolyte drink but high carb. Perhaps that was just for post-breakaway.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Smirr posted:

I was wondering how his max heart rate on the Finistere stage could be 159, but his resting heart rate is 32. That would do it then lol. Jesus christ

I’m 38 with a RHR of 32, LTHR of 161, MHR of 173. If only that meant anything other than a higher risk of poo poo like atrial fibrillation and dying in your sleep. Low HR is mostly genetic.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Rockybar posted:

I'm glad he got exonerated but jfc I would not want to be riding by the heat-crazed, froome-hating french fans. It will be a miracle if someone doesn't stab him on Alpe D'Huez...

Let's just say he'll probably be wearing a yellow jersey by the end of each stage, even if he isn't wearing one at the start of it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Fanatic posted:

Let's just say he'll probably be wearing a yellow jersey by the end of each stage, even if he isn't wearing one at the start of it.

Trump suddenly got interested in cycling

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Again?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

looool

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Smirr posted:

mfw reading your post

I know, he's a beast, but I was trying to be realistic about peoples chances and I just think him and Cav are getting a bit past it and there are too many capable new guys. Doesn't mean I'd be upset if he took a stage though.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'll just be happy if cav doesn't crash and burn in the first few stages

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Yeah he doesn't see the end of races much, his Milan-San Remo crash was brutal.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tdf '17 - crash stage 4
Abu dhabi '18 - crash before stage one
Tirreno-Adriatico '18 - crash during the opening TTT
Milan-San Remo '18 - bollard before the poggio

Every one a race ender

Poor cav :(

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
So I haven't been following cycling as much as I used to, besides hearing some stuff about the Froome scandal and watching a bit of the Giro. Is anyone a legit threat to Froome this year, or should I expect another year of Sky domination?
Also, what happened to Quintana, is he still considered a threat or has he faded away as a legit Tour contender?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Quintana's definitely a contender. He's still the only rider who has been able to really out-climb Froome over a whole grand tour. His has two big impediments though:
1) The fact that he's the most boring, conservative rider in existence; and
2) Movistar have decided to field 3 riders who are top-tier GC contenders and it's hard to see how that will end well for them, even though it will be very funny for us.

Froome's all-round riding across every type of stage is now so ridiculous that he's probably just going to dominate again, but he is trying the Giro-Tour double which has utterly tanked everyone else who has attempted it recently.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Does anyone really think Valverde is still a GC contender? Dude is 38.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Valverde thinks Valverde is a GC contender, and that's what matters with respect to his ability to gently caress up his teammates' race.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Movistar is a bit of a clusterfuck atm and I feel bad for Landa as he's gone there wanting to perform as a GC rider and he must just be put back on dom duties (or the inevitable all three fighting for the team to throw their weight behind them). I don't know why he didn't go to Trek-Segafredo or Bora-Hansgrohe.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
He knew what he was getting into.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Rockybar posted:

Movistar is a bit of a clusterfuck atm and I feel bad for Landa as he's gone there wanting to perform as a GC rider and he must just be put back on dom duties (or the inevitable all three fighting for the team to throw their weight behind them). I don't know why he didn't go to Trek-Segafredo or Bora-Hansgrohe.

Movistar has a team built around GC, even if it has too many egos. Trek has no chance at a GT GC and neither does Bora-Hansgrohe. Why would Landa go somewhere without enough capable doms?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Skarsnik posted:

Tdf '17 - crash stage 4
Abu dhabi '18 - crash before stage one
Tirreno-Adriatico '18 - crash during the opening TTT
Milan-San Remo '18 - bollard before the poggio

Every one a race ender

Poor cav :(

That's not even counting all the other riders he's crashed out with his unsafe racing.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

It would be fine if Movistar went in with 2.5 GC contenders, then quickly figured out who was strongest early in the race and threw all their weight behind whoever. Everyone else puts their ego aside and rides to crack the Sky train.

But that’s absolutely not what’s going to happen.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

peanut- posted:

Quintana's definitely a contender. He's still the only rider who has been able to really out-climb Froome over a whole grand tour. His has two big impediments though:
1) The fact that he's the most boring, conservative rider in existence; and
2) Movistar have decided to field 3 riders who are top-tier GC contenders and it's hard to see how that will end well for them, even though it will be very funny for us.

Froome's all-round riding across every type of stage is now so ridiculous that he's probably just going to dominate again, but he is trying the Giro-Tour double which has utterly tanked everyone else who has attempted it recently.
He also can’t ride a time trial at all.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

I believe in big Tommy Dumoulin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

HappyCamperGL posted:

I believe in big Tommy Dumoulin.