Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Elephanthead posted:

No, I don't even think grandpas use stain only stains anymore how old are you 100?

Just a homeowner who has no idea what I'm doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Sab0921 posted:

Just a homeowner who has no idea what I'm doing.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I use stain-only stains all the time, but I've only ever stained small things like gun stocks. For a deck I'd probably go the combo route. It would take forever otherwise.

Prep is the most important thing for a good even stain. Don't skimp on it.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I’ve been wearing sneakers but it hasn’t seemed to help.

My roof is super simple. It’s nearly flat to be honest but it has maybe 9-12 degree slopes on either side of a simple peak that runs the span of the house. The chimney is on one side of the house but that’s it.

I guess I could tie off on my front deck when I’m doing the back half and then switch to the back deck when I’m cleaning the front?
Roof anchors. And harnesses and rope. (You always need rope.)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have a metal roof so any puncture points I make run the risk of voiding the warranty.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I have a metal roof so any puncture points I make run the risk of voiding the warranty.
Anchors are especially common on metal roofs, at least in my experience. I'm not sure I've ever seen a metal roof *without* an anchor system, actually. It's a couple hundred bucks (when the roof is installed) and its vastly more safe than not having one, and WAY easier than the ol rope over the roof. That said, I've never researched them as the installers provided.

I assume your installer can tell you what they'd use. Or maybe you live in a flat roof area and noone uses anchors...

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Somehow my mother in law (who takes her summer in an in law apt in our house) drilled through a drain line (for the upstairs shower / laundry) while trying to hang a cabinet. I'm not going to have time to do a proper repair until Saturday or Sunday. Will that Flex Seal tape be an OK band aid for a couple days? It's a drain line so there's no water pressure.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sock The Great posted:

Somehow my mother in law (who takes her summer in an in law apt in our house) drilled through a drain line (for the upstairs shower / laundry) while trying to hang a cabinet. I'm not going to have time to do a proper repair until Saturday or Sunday. Will that Flex Seal tape be an OK band aid for a couple days? It's a drain line so there's no water pressure.

I’d imagine so. There’s also this stuff which has been recommended to me (granted for a leak that is in my unfinished basement and not in walls):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/203349065

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Motronic posted:

I'm voting for this.

Elephanthead posted:

No, I don't even think grandpas use stain only stains anymore how old are you 100?

I liked this one

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

FCKGW posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Bitcoin, Forex, and Candles > Homeownership: I really don't know if this is decent progress or just a terrible waste of time.

9 characters too long

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Moneyball posted:

9 characters too long

Get rid of 'decent' and 'just'

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Get rid of 'decent' and 'just'

Already did that re: my personality. Fixed the thread title though.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Sock The Great posted:

There's an analogy here for in-laws staying over and your walls slowly filling up with septic

I think what you're looking for is a neoprene sleeve and ratcheting clamps or zip ties in the time being since there's no pressure. Similar to what's used when connecting old cast iron pipe to modern PVC.

And maybe a blanket ban on in-laws home improvement projects

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

There's an analogy here for in-laws staying over and your walls slowly filling up with septic

I think what you're looking for is a neoprene sleeve and ratcheting clamps or zip ties in the time being since there's no pressure. Similar to what's used when connecting old cast iron pipe to modern PVC.

That's a Fernco coupling (or "hubless connector). You can slice one down the side and put it around the pipe (with the cut away from the hole obviously), put the clamps around it and literally forget about that forever, but if we're talking PVC is really not all the difficult to just cut get a PVC coupling without the "stops" inside (so you can slid it down the pipe), cut the pipe right where the hole is, and slide that coupling on with some primer and cement, slide it into place and call it fixed as well.

OSU_Matthew posted:

This too.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

Yeah I will be hiding her small collection of tools in the basement.

My permanent fix is to cut the section of pipe out and replace with Pex; just need a band aid until the weekend.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sock The Great posted:

My permanent fix is to cut the section of pipe out and replace with Pex; just need a band aid until the weekend.

PEX is not appropriate for waste lines. It's only for supply.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

PEX is not appropriate for waste lines. It's only for supply.

Good to know. I am receiving this information second hand through text messages from my wife; will know a bit more once I am home from work this afternoon.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

BoyBlunder posted:

I mounted a giant mirror to the wall, and it's got a manufacturer sticker on the corner of it. Peeling it is fruitless, it's extremely thin and tears, and I will literally be here for years trying to pull this loving thing off cleanly.

How do I do this? Won't a razor blade scratch the mirror?

Goo-Gone

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Some WD-40

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

OSU_Matthew posted:

You lucky bastard, I wish I had that kind of wall space. If I could make a recommendation, go take a bunch of sweet photos, get on Mpix when they have a 30% off sale, and get a gently caress ton of 8x10s on metallic pearlescent paper printed with generic frames from the dollar store, and go to town on that wall. Just put them on randomly or in a pattern with wall safe command Velcro adhesive steps, and it'll be awesome and completely unique to you. 2$ - 3$ per print (depending if you can catch a sale), and a dollar per frame.

If you want art, I've gotten awesome deals on art from garage sales and stuff, but that's a huge pain in the butt and who knows what you'd find. Just find what you like and fill in from there :)

E: if you want cheap Chinese factory art, I honestly kind of like a lot of the stuff here:

https://afremov.com/Deal-of-the-Day/

Thanks! So, I got bored and tried mapping out a pattern on the wall using painter's tape. I'm imagining having a big canvas on the right side split into three vertical pieces, and then I used the "proxmity" pattern from this design guide on the left side.

Here's what it looks like. I'm not totally satisfied with that bottom-right one on the left side; it might technically be balanced but I think it looks a little goofy. I'd maybe do an oversized or circular-shaped bit of artwork there instead. I also think I would put more space under that top row on the left side, and I would move the canvas further over to the right.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
I'm glad I could provide the thread with a new title. This house is going to be my Vietnam.

This took all day. Someone glued their raw plugs in place, i even found wooden ones in the wall.

One spot had the wallpaper sticking better than the plaster

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Struensee posted:

I'm glad I could provide the thread with a new title. This house is going to be my Vietnam.

I thought for a minute you meant literally a house in Vietnam, and I was confused since I don't think you're allowed to buy property as a foreigner or something like that

Sock The Great posted:

Yeah I will be hiding her small collection of tools in the basement.

The more I think about this, the more questions I have... Like, if she's drilling a small hole, how did she even discover she punctured the waste line? I take it that means your home smells like an open sewer now? Also, if she's trying to hang a cabinet, was she seriously trying to hang a cabinet off drywall? Like, not even bothering securing it into a stud? This is so wonderful on so many levels

(it's already been pointed out, but Pex is for supply lines, you'll want a PVC sleeve to cement onto there for the permanent fix)

surf rock posted:

Here's what it looks like. I'm not totally satisfied with that bottom-right one on the left side; it might technically be balanced but I think it looks a little goofy. I'd maybe do an oversized or circular-shaped bit of artwork there instead. I also think I would put more space under that top row on the left side, and I would move the canvas further over to the right.
Looks good man! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Having hung a ton of stuff, I can't tell you what a godsend those command adhesive Velcro strips are vs nailing poo poo in and trying to get a frame level and on the nail

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 6, 2018

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sock The Great posted:

Good to know. I am receiving this information second hand through text messages from my wife; will know a bit more once I am home from work this afternoon.

I can only imagine how much 4" PEX crimpers/jaws and materials would cost......JFC.(I'm nearly positive this does not exist) Might as well do it in copper at that point.

It's just a cheapass PVC repair. The "hard" part is the drywall.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

I thought for a minute you meant literally a house in Vietnam, and I was confused since I don't think you're allowed to buy property as a foreigner or something like that

The more I think about this, the more questions I have... Like, if she's drilling a small hole, how did she even discover she punctured the waste line? I take it that means your home smells like an open sewer now? Also, if she's trying to hang a cabinet, was she seriously trying to hang a cabinet off drywall? Like, not even bothering securing it into a stud? This is so wonderful on so many levels

Maybe she thought she hit a stud and went nuts, then the bit came out with a few nuts on it?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There are about 10 baby spiders on the ceiling of our shower, so that means about 10 million baby spiders hidden in the wall :3:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Those spiders wouldn't exist if there weren't a lot more other bugs in the walls to eat!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There are definitely 10 billion tiny ants in the wall that's just reality in this town

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
I remember finding what looked like newly hatched spiders in my apartment bathroom about 10 years ago. I think I spent several hours and got the kill count up to 42 before I couldn't find anymore and finally went to bed before the sun came up.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Phillips hue lights suck. I bought one of the cheap Chinese smart lights and liked the idea but was never happy with the warm yellow color it produced. So I thought I'd pay the extra for the hue. It does have a much better chill reading light yellow, but loses its programming whenever you turn it off at the switch unlike the Chinese one. Bah! Apparently people have been complaining for years and Phillips never improved it. Especially dumb because it needs a hub unlike the knock off.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I don't want 10 million of anything unless it's dollars hiding in my walls thank you very much

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Woman rushed to ER with brown recluse spider bites, then finds dozens more infesting her apartment

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

surf rock posted:

Here's what it looks like. I'm not totally satisfied with that bottom-right one on the left side; it might technically be balanced but I think it looks a little goofy.

I think it would look better if you kept the square shape instead of turning it into a rectangle. Or try to skip having the blank line and do something like:

code:
[][][][]
[][]  
[][]  []

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I was working on cutting down some overgrown crepe myrtles this morning and with one branch left I sawed through my extension cord :negative:

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

dalstrs posted:

I think it would look better if you kept the square shape instead of turning it into a rectangle. Or try to skip having the blank line and do something like:

code:
[][][][]
[][]  
[][]  []

Oh, interesting! So, you think either that (to maintain the rectangular shape) or this?

code:
[][][]
[]  
[]  []
Or do you just mean a filled-in square with nine?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

You should do
code:
[]   [][]
[][] []_

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

couldcareless posted:

I don't want 10 million of anything unless it's dollars hiding in my walls thank you very much

If you own a wood frame house then I have some bad news

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It was 120 degrees at my house yesterday and the power went out across the city

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qskAJeuo2Y

When it came back up one of my A/C units no longer works. I have to sleep downstairs on the couch until I can get the parts in a few days. Hopefully it's the $20 part and not something worse.

:suicide:

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

SpartanIvy posted:

I was working on cutting down some overgrown crepe myrtles this morning and with one branch left I sawed through my extension cord :negative:
I'm sorry you didn't have music or flood lamps for the last branch :( Sad days.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Hey homeownership thread! I have a stupid problem that I could use some advice on.

I've got this big dead ash tree that needs taken down before the wind knocks it down on my house and my neighbor's house.

Problem is, it's right on the property line, about 95% on my neighbor's property on the other side of the fence, and maybe a foot grown into mine.

No problem, right? I just go up and knock on my neighbor's door and talk about it. Problem is, the house is vacant, and I'm fairly sure it was bought by a flipper last year. It's gotten a new roof and contractors have intermittently been in to do stuff, including tearing down a live oak tree in the front yard about twenty yards away from said dead tree. So, I can already tell there are no fucks given.

The good news is that I talked to the code enforcement guy here in town and he gave me the owner's phone number.

My understanding though, is that if they don't know about it in writing, aka a certified letter or something, if that tree falls down on my house, I'm on the hook insurance wise. If they do know about it, they're on the hook.

What do I do? Call and record the conversation? Who's ultimately responsible for tearing this thing down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If I were you I’d call, record if you’re in a one-party state, and if they don’t give you their address then have a quick consult with your insurance company, perhaps followed by one with a lawyer.