Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Also visible is good for visitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You could put a fire extinguisher somewhere visible and known, but inside a box or something. Like it doesn't have to be hanging naked on the wall.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You can also get extinguishers that are white with black markings which is slightly less of an eye sore than a bright red one, but still clearly visible.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The worst things about fire extinguishers are how recognisable and easily identifiable they are to almost everyone.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TTerrible posted:

The worst things about fire extinguishers are how recognisable and easily identifiable they are to almost everyone.

lmbo

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
If your ASD is severe enough that you can't handle the look of a fire extinguisher someplace it's obvious, that's on you, not the fire extinguisher.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
just lol if you live in some sort of gross hovel without a commercial foam extinguishing system installed over the stove

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Jaded Burnout posted:

It really depends how they're attached to the cabinets. You can remove anything from anything if you're very delicate with a stanley knife and a stack of oscillating multi tool blades. Cutting through masking tape is another good way to avoid cracking finishes.

I can't imagine that you'd have cabinets designed such that they couldn't support just about any countertop of that size, but I'm not a cabinet maker so don't take that as gospel.

Thank you for these thoughts. Thanks also to the folks who (politely) gave feedback about the fire extinguisher question.

I don't know why I got so much poo poo for that, including someone calling me autistic; I only asked because I've never seen a fire extinguisher visible in someone else's home before and a friend said it struck her as weird, so I thought I'd ask. Yikes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You have been in grave danger many times.

Mine’s wall-mounted across from the kitchen so I’m less likely to have to reach through flames to get to it. I don’t know if that’s sound reasoning.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

surf rock posted:

I don't know why I got so much poo poo for that, including someone calling me autistic; I only asked because I've never seen a fire extinguisher visible in someone else's home before and a friend said it struck her as weird, so I thought I'd ask. Yikes.

I got the feeling that the backlash wasn't at you but at the people suggesting hiding it or otherwise deliberately making it not a bright red thing easily visible in a panic. Different levels of risk appetite, I suppose.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Mine's in the stairwell leading down to my basement. As long as everyone knows where it is and it's not obstructed by much you'll be fine.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I paint all my fire extinguishers in a camo pattern. That way they match my RealTree® wallpaper

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My fire extinguisher is only eating at restaurants and not caring much if I die anyway

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I got the feeling that the backlash wasn't at you but at the people suggesting hiding it or otherwise deliberately making it not a bright red thing easily visible in a panic. Different levels of risk appetite, I suppose.

Oh, that's fair, thanks for clarifying.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The answer to an ugly fire extinguisher is a knitted cozy for it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We... don't have one... and it was never mentioned during the build process. All-electric appliances...?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

We... don't have one... and it was never mentioned during the build process. All-electric appliances...?

It's fairly common for electric hobs to glow bright red, which means they're at least 600ºC. Vegetable oil auto-ignites at 424ºC.

Disclaimer: I vouch no accuracy for the first half of statement, but p sure you can still get pan fires on electric. Especially induction.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 5, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ya I agree. I guess it's just not required in detatched residences :shrug: I think my old apartment had a fire extinguisher, maybe businesses too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I think this is one of those things where it's not technically required, but it is pretty clearly a good idea. I don't know what the stats are (I'm sure Motronic does), but I have to assume that the vast majority of residential fires start in kitchens. I'd guess the runner-up would be bedrooms of people who smoke.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah I've never had one, but it's on my list. The fact that my smoke alarms are still covered up is probably not great either.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Smoking induced fires are way, way down. There's several reasons why. Way fewer people smoking inside, cigarette companies changing the composition of cigarettes so it's much harder to light things on fire with them and we've moved away from or outright banned lots of materials that we used to make textiles of because they were basically one step away from pure petroleum so they'd go up like rocket fuel.

Kitchens are definitely the biggest source of every day house fires. It doesn't matter what kind of range you have, it'll easily heat most materials to autoignition temperature.

That being said the two things that will really ruin your day are space heaters and Christmas trees. One is basically a giant, open toaster and the other is a ten foot pile of tinder wrapped in electricified wire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_eHBqVYa8A

Fire extinguishers are good!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Smoking induced fires are way, way down. There's several reasons why. Way fewer people smoking inside, cigarette companies changing the composition of cigarettes so it's much harder to light things on fire with them and we've moved away from or outright banned lots of materials that we used to make textiles of because they were basically one step away from pure petroleum so they'd go up like rocket fuel.

Kitchens are definitely the biggest source of every day house fires. It doesn't matter what kind of range you have, it'll easily heat most materials to autoignition temperature.

That being said the two things that will really ruin your day are space heaters and Christmas trees. One is basically a giant, open toaster and the other is a ten foot pile of tinder wrapped in electricified wire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_eHBqVYa8A

Fire extinguishers are good!

The great thing about Christmas tree fires is that you never need a fire extinguisher. Just run. Run fast.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

peanut posted:

Get one.

A minor grease fire turns into a house fire without something to put it out quickly, and thirty bucks for a good kitchen extinguisher doesn't even scratch the deductible on a house fire cleanup with insurance.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
no kitchen fires if you just eat raw organic vegan food :smug:

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I keep an open box of baking soda by the stove for accidents

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I think this is one of those things where it's not technically required, but it is pretty clearly a good idea. I don't know what the stats are (I'm sure Motronic does), but I have to assume that the vast majority of residential fires start in kitchens. I'd guess the runner-up would be bedrooms of people who smoke.

In the US I think it’s one of those things that’s required/not required by state or municipality, rather than federally. I’m pretty sure there was some kind of town rule about having them where I grew up. Just as how different municipalities have different ways of funding firefighting/fire prevention services.

And it’s been said above but electric appliances absolutely start fires (see my toaster oven story). Your risk also goes up if you live in the sort of building that encourages rodent/arthropod pests to make homes in your walls and basement and come in contact with warm electrical or gas stuff, but you’re probably not gonna be fighting a mains fire with an extinguisher at that point.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My dad volunteers for the red cross, and 99% of his work is responding to house fires.

Most are kitchen fires. And out of those, a surprising amount are from people attempting to deep fry (but it is the south)

Get a fire extinguisher. It's nice to have.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

PRADA SLUT posted:

no kitchen fires if you just eat raw organic vegan food :smug:

Look at this capitalist puppet buying food like a moron. Photosynthesis bitch. Get on my level. It’s free and best of all no need for physical goods like plates and forks to clutter up my white cube of a home.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Suspect Bucket posted:

My dad volunteers for the red cross, and 99% of his work is responding to house fires.

Most are kitchen fires. And out of those, a surprising amount are from people attempting to deep fry (but it is the south)

Get a fire extinguisher. It's nice to have.

From what I’ve heard, by far the worst Thanksgiving/Christmas accidents happen with people deep frying turkeys and hams and poo poo (dessert items like Oreos and candy bars?).

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Electric Bugaloo posted:

From what I’ve heard, by far the worst Thanksgiving/Christmas accidents happen with people deep frying turkeys and hams and poo poo (dessert items like Oreos and candy bars?).

The majority is drunk people trying to deep fry, then kids trying to deep fry (or cook in general without experience or supervision), then distracted people.

After that, the biggest culprit is candles and faulty electrical wiring (in his experience)

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Turkey frying is so dangerous, William Shatner himself made a PSA about it after nearly torching his entire body one fateful thanksgiving.

It’s just as graceful and subtle as you imagine.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Appreciate all the extinguisher chat, we are fresh home owners and should have one. Going to pick one up!

Anyone used https://www.americanblinds.com - or have an alternate for blinds?
We have a Florida room that is attached to the living room with 3 un-blinded windows and we're after a decent solution without the cost of some custom company fitting them. The windows are set into the old exposed brick long since painted, although it's blockwork above the brick columns. Not sure if that changes anything but thought I'd mention. I don't even know how blinds are held onto the window.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 6, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

Look at this capitalist puppet buying food like a moron. Photosynthesis bitch. Get on my level. It’s free and best of all no need for physical goods like plates and forks to clutter up my white cube of a home.

Look who's in the pockets of Big Sun :rolleyes:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Indolent Bastard posted:

God damnit are my houseplants posting on the internet again? I shouldn't have have bought that smart planter on Kickstarter.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

cubicle gangster posted:

Appreciate all the extinguisher chat, we are fresh home owners and should have one. Going to pick one up!

Anyone used https://www.americanblinds.com - or have an alternate for blinds?
We have a Florida room that is attached to the living room with 3 un-blinded windows and we're after a decent solution without the cost of some custom company fitting them. The windows are set into the old exposed brick long since painted, although it's blockwork above the brick columns. Not sure if that changes anything but thought I'd mention. I don't even know how blinds are held onto the window.

I've used The Shade Store a couple of times. They are probably on the pricier side of what you're looking for but not prohibitively expensive. They definitely deliver a quality product for what its worth.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

bEatmstrJ posted:

I've used The Shade Store a couple of times. They are probably on the pricier side of what you're looking for but not prohibitively expensive. They definitely deliver a quality product for what its worth.

Works out to about $300 a window for non motorised. That's not bad at all. $700 to get it motorised...

That is probably wildly unnessecary, but has anyone used one of these?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D58YYZ1/ref=sspa_dk_hqp_detail_aax_0?psc=1
Reviews are a little spotty though.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

I paint all my fire extinguishers in a camo pattern. That way they match my RealTree® wallpaper

Why bother painting when you can just buy them that way?

http://www.amerex-fire.com/products/camo-units/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

elise the great posted:

Turkey frying is so dangerous, William Shatner himself made a PSA about it after nearly torching his entire body one fateful thanksgiving.

It’s just as graceful and subtle as you imagine.

Turkey fryers are on par with the One Ring :ohdear:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Why bother painting when you can just buy them that way?

Wouldn't want the flaming deer to see you coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Pulling stuff from PleaseHateTheseThings is probably cheating, but seriously, :wtc:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlHGwtrnw-b/?taken-by=pleasehatethesethings