Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Johns's run looks better and better in hindsight (and added to the full spectrum of terrible runs before and after it) but I still think Superboy's Evil Jeans and Evil Genes was a really really dumb storyline and then it all sort of collided into Identity and Infinite Crisis and never recovered and I honestly don't remember anything else about his run except bringing back All Your Favorites, making Deathstroke hella evil again, and making Ravager crazy and the sort of girl who would stab her own eye out to make her evil daddy love her.

So you know, legitimately probably one of the top three Teen Titans runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Wolfman falls apart more thoroughly and further from the end, but from New Teen Titans #1 (newsstand) (or technically the dccp preview story) through New Teen Titans (Baxter) #31 were solid.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Edge & Christian posted:

Johns's run looks better and better in hindsight (and added to the full spectrum of terrible runs before and after it) but I still think Superboy's Evil Jeans and Evil Genes was a really really dumb storyline and then it all sort of collided into Identity and Infinite Crisis and never recovered and I honestly don't remember anything else about his run except bringing back All Your Favorites, making Deathstroke hella evil again, and making Ravager crazy and the sort of girl who would stab her own eye out to make her evil daddy love her.

So you know, legitimately probably one of the top three Teen Titans runs.

That Doom Patrol arc was nuts.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I know I'm like a page and half late, but after reading Batman 50, I guess can stop reading Batman for a while.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Not to harp on Batman #50, but a guy I follow on youtube called Professor Thorgi made a good point on why he was extra dissapointed. He runs a comic shop in New York. He had to do a midnight release and a shortened day on the 4th of July for the book. He knows some of his competitors did full days on the 4th. It was all because DC decided to release the book on the 4th. He theroizes some may have had to cut their holiday festivities short. And all for...that.

Interesting angle I didn't consider before.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I assume you're talking about this?

A bunch of these people have already been revealed as murderers. Phew, case closed! Let's all be proud of the hard sleuthing we did everybody.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I hope Deathstroke: The Terminator isn't revealed as a murderer. :ohdear:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I cant wait for DC to kill Booster Gold and the convention afterward has Didio state, "you thought i was done?"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Archyduke posted:

A bunch of these people have already been revealed as murderers. Phew, case closed! Let's all be proud of the hard sleuthing we did everybody.

A bunch of these people have also died and come back from the dead

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Kyle Rayner is a fan favorite, isn't appearing in any movies or TV shows, and there's 5 other humans with an identical power set. The only way you can get more "dead man walking" than that is to be a B-list X-Man.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

TwoPair posted:

Kyle Rayner is a fan favorite, isn't appearing in any movies or TV shows, and there's 5 other humans with an identical power set. The only way you can get more "dead man walking" than that is to be a B-list X-Man.

Yep. I think it is gonna be kyle, atom, and booster/roy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Booster's one of the leads in the story. He's fine.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

And batman and catwomen were supposed to be married yesterday

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

TwoPair posted:

Don't worry, there's still time for them to introduce a teen version of Booster to join the Teen Titans and then kill him off.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

TwoPair posted:

also, it wouldn't be the first time Tom King had bad poo poo happen to him

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Calvin Coolposts posted:

Did anyone else read the Teen Titans Special that came out last week? I just did, and I hated it! Damian apparently shoots Black Mask and a bunch of random mooks in the head, completely undoing basically all of his character development since, uh, he's been a character. Oh, and Kid Flash gets called "politically correct flash" which just felt kinda gross to me. I might give the next issue a chance just to see if the Black Mask thing is a fake out or not, but I don't think it is, and that's really disappointing.

Yes it was really stupid. For one thing murdering Black Mask like that would be a stupid move. And two it pretty much invalidates Damian's entire character development. My hope is that he kneecapped him or something. Black Mask is a fairly notable villain and I was actually decently fond of him for a while, its a shame that pretty much everything he has been in recently has just been to punk him. The guy that took over Gotham's underworld several times.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Weird to hear it starting all brutal like, since we were introduced to the run with this:

Which got me hopeful for a pretty bright and breezy comic.

edit: BMB interview including info on Lois and Jon returning and some art.
http://www.comicsbeat.com/interview-brian-michael-bendis-on-writing-a-hero-for-todays-world-in-superman-1-and-action-comics-1001/

quote:

So let’s talk about some of the things in the comic. Before we even get to Superman and Action, you’ve already destroyed the Fortress of Solitude, you’ve destroyed Kandor (an entire Kryptonian city). You’ve taken his wife and son off the board. I want to know, were the major changes needed to make room for the story that you want to tell? I guess I’m asking are you removing all of the trappings so you can focus on the character, or is really more that these are the central pieces of the story that you want to focus on?

Well number one, every once in a while it’s time to freshen up. You know, just freshen things up. And I’m happy to say, right away, in Superman #1 we are already introducing the brand new Fortress of Solitude. And it’s got a bunch of cool new stuff, it’s got a cool new look. And it’s very inspired by what Scott Snyder did with the Hall of Justice in Justice League. We’re going to really turn it into a magical, cool place that you imagine Superman would live. You know, building on all the cool stuff that people have done with the fortress over the years. So that’s just being added in as fun to the mythos of Superman. The new Fortress of Solitude will be in the Bermuda Triangle and it will dive deep down into the ocean where a lot of cool stuff will happen where the Kryptonian crystal technology merges with the environment as uniquely as it did in the Arctic. Does that make sense?

It does make sense. It’s very exciting.

So that’s just being cool and additive. Jon and Lois, though, were sent away in Man of Steel. Lois shows up already in Action #1001. She’s already back. And we’ve already hinted on the cover, that Jon comes back in just a couple issues. They’re not gone for the duration of my run or anything like that. They are gone, and Superman can feel how much he misses them and loves them and then they come back with a whole lot of story. Jon’s coming back saying “Oh my god, Grandpa’s crazy” and Lois has a lot going on with her too. So in the next few issues, right away, we’re not going to be throwing out the Superman family but reestablishing what that family unit means and how they interact with each other. And if I can overly answer the question, it’s a very special thing to me. I’m very engaged in Superman’s very special family and how they can love and relate to each other. It’s something that I think a lot of people in our own world can relate to, their special family they’ve created for themselves. We all have special family. And taking that idea into the future for Superman, it’s something that I am probably the most excited about.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 5, 2018

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Teenage Fansub posted:

Booster is going to be one of the victims, one of the investigators, and turn out to be the murderer as well. Time travel’s a bitch.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Man ya know I was just like "My boy Kyle never gets involved in earth events, he never sees his friends, he's been exiled to space for so long basically."

I know we joke about Monkey Paws, but if he comes back to earth to die in Identity Crisis 2, then that middle finger is squarely erect at me. Well maybe this time he can job to Deathstroke again in the dumbest way loving possible.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Weird to hear it starting all brutal like, since we were introduced to the run with this:

http://www.comicsbeat.com/interview-brian-michael-bendis-on-writing-a-hero-for-todays-world-in-superman-1-and-action-comics-1001/

An oceanic fortress? That's where Aquaman keeps his poo poo. Superman wouldn't want to live down there, Aquaman would be constantly finding excuses to hang out.
"Oh hi neighbour, can I borrow a cup of sugar? Oh while I'm here, do you want to come over and watch the game later?"

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

frameset posted:

An oceanic fortress? That's where Aquaman keeps his poo poo. Superman wouldn't want to live down there, Aquaman would be constantly finding excuses to hang out.
"Oh hi neighbour, can I borrow a cup of sugar? Oh while I'm here, do you want to come over and watch the game later?"

Sounds like a pretty good sitcom premise to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MixXnzefsBA

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Considering they're going hard on the Identity Crisis comparisons my bet's going to be on Ray Palmer (since Ryan's around anyhow) and one of the OG Titans who DC is doing their best to show us how much they hate them, so probably Roy.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I can't wait to be even less impressed by Tom King as I am now :buddy:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Gee, Brian, I wonder why people would assume you'd drag out Lois and Jon's absence. You've got such a great track record for lightning-quick pacing in your work! :v:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Pretty good article explaining the disappointment with BMB and his supes.
https://screenrant.com/new-superman-comic-bendis-problems/

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Gaz-L posted:

Gee, Brian, I wonder why people would assume you'd drag out Lois and Jon's absence. You've got such a great track record for lightning-quick pacing in your work! :v:
I mean, at a certain point he can't win with "people". I think Man of Steel had some nice moments but overall was a solid B-/C+, but the narrative has literally shifted from:

"Ugh Bendis is killing off Jon and/or Lois"
"Okay he's not killing them off but he's writing them out of the book and going to drag out the mystery of where they went forever"
"Okay we know where they went but they're going to be off in space forever"
"Okay they're not going to be off in space forever BUT YOU COULD HAVE DONE THAT, YOU HACK"

I look forward to "send them back into space lol you loving hack"

Mr Hootington posted:

Pretty good article explaining the disappointment with BMB and his supes.https://screenrant.com/new-superman-comic-bendis-problems/
Maybe these are just issues with articulation or fundamental differences, but complaining about slow reveals being "cheap drama" and "building suspense" as a negative... you can argue they're not executed well in Man of Steel (they weren't great) but like... are there comics that don't have big reveals for drama and don't build suspense? Are they what everyone wants from storytelling?

Page 1: Bruce, I can't marry you. It's all a plot masterminded by Bane.
Page 2: Thank you for your forthrightness. I am going to spend the next twelve issues contemplating killing Bane, but I will choose not to because of your eyes.
Page 3-44: Eye poetry

Also according to solicits/interviews Earth is going to get pulled into the Phantom Zone so I assume this is not the last we've seen of Rogol Zaar for whatever that's worth. Still not pacing especially with the realities of advance solicitations, but the article implies Bendis is done with the character and 'writing him out' the same way he wrote out Jon and Lois.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

This looks cool.
https://twitter.com/mingdoyle/status/1015019265135665152?s=19

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

I saw that and it looks really cool. It’s written from Batman’s perspective. Batman wrote an anatomy textbook.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Ooh I hope he drew a lot of dongs!

Do this guy, Batman!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That's the guy that offers to eat out Miss Martian and then is killed by Jericho

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I hope he made Alfred draw the pictures.

edit: DC's new matte paper looks like a huge improvement.

That's from the Wallmart thing, but apparently Catwoman used it last week.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 6, 2018

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I've got to stop doing this, but I wanted to read the full Infinite Crisis story so I bought the recent omnibus and my lord it is way too big to sit and read comfortably. Easily the size of that Kirby omnibus and probably a little bigger if anything. So now I've got to ask, how much of this is actually necessary reading and how much can be skimmed/skipped? It looks like besides the main Infinite Crisis story, it has six 6 issue miniseries and then a bunch of scattered issues from assorted characters like Superman and Wonder Woman. Anything in there I can gloss over to save myself carrying this thing around?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You can skip all of it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

You can skip all of it.

OMAC project is pretty awesome

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

I hope he made Alfred draw the pictures.

No it's a random intern at Wayne Enterprises.

"Mr. Wayne, can you tell me why you want me to draw a cross section of Superman's head?"

"Nope! :)"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Villians United is pretty cool. You can read that. Ditto for Omac. Otherwise....meh. I don't hate Infinite crisis as much as others here but it is very much a meh story for me.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dunbar posted:

I've got to stop doing this, but I wanted to read the full Infinite Crisis story so I bought the recent omnibus and my lord it is way too big to sit and read comfortably. Easily the size of that Kirby omnibus and probably a little bigger if anything. So now I've got to ask, how much of this is actually necessary reading and how much can be skimmed/skipped? It looks like besides the main Infinite Crisis story, it has six 6 issue miniseries and then a bunch of scattered issues from assorted characters like Superman and Wonder Woman. Anything in there I can gloss over to save myself carrying this thing around?

The minis and one shots are all enjoyable. Countdown to IC is very good and necessary. The issues of jla, ww, and supes can be skipped.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Theoretically, if you want to become a better Green Lantern, you just need to suffer a frontal lobe injury. Or get a frontal lobe lobotomy. People who suffer injuries to the frontal lobe are known for losing the ability to feel fear. It doesn't affect their cognitive processes in their intellect or social graces, they just no longer recognize fear and thus no longer feel shame or social pressure. So you can still be an effective cop and you would be immune to fear and be the most powerful Green Lantern.

Covok fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 7, 2018

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well, in the most ideal canons, the power of a GL isn't simply measured by the inability to feel fear but the ability to feel fear and still overcome it. That's how you overcome the yellow weakness of the ring. If it's simply a case of you being physiologically-incapable of feeling fear, your constructs might end up still not being able to affect yellow.

...I mean, that's how it should work. A dozen writers can retcon or reinterpret that a dozen ways, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

The minis and one shots are all enjoyable. Countdown to IC is very good and necessary. The issues of jla, ww, and supes can be skipped.
Completely disagree with the WW and Supes stuff. All the OMAC and Max Lord content is pretty vital to the overall Infinite Crisis storyline.

e: oops meant to edit not repost. OH WEL