Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Whats our infamy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Really looking forward to the save so I can go wild with Benin.

Moderates. Our economic base isn't where it needs to be yet.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

Mantis42 posted:

Whats our infamy?

Hovering around 10.

Eleven Eleven
Nov 12, 2016

Moderates

Edit: Realized the error of my ways and changed my vote.

Eleven Eleven fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 5, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Moderates

We probably need to cook off more infamy before we can really get to warring anyways. We've got a good start on a prosperous Iberia but to be honest we really could use another decade of prestige techs and above all railroads to secure it. The thing about industry and culture techs is that they're the ones that pay off more the earlier you get them because they tend to be growth/percentage bonuses which obviously get exponentially multiplied the more time they have. Whereas military/naval techs are more bonuses to units that can be grabbed whenever and have a flat effect, no difference between now and 10 years from now as long as we stay peaceful. But an extra decade of +research or better literacy gain or getting a huge chunk of prestige from a world first on an art tech are all game changers. Really I think we might even be able to get away with staying Moderates until we invent communism in an update or two and just switch to them to spread the Revolution (which just so happens to need spreading in our Iberian cores first).

Whatever you do please no Imperialists though, our economy can't take LF economic policy this early.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Imperialists because nothing will go wrong by switching from massive government intervention to laissez faire on the drop of a hat imo

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Holy crap I didn't realize any of that.

Never mind this post.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 5, 2018

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Yeah, lets stay with the Moderates for a little longer.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Do remember that our next ruling party will have to navigate the Springtime of Nations, so a vote for Imperialists is a vote for more liberalism. Plus, most of our income is still from agriculture, so while it may not be the best option for industry, it'll still not crater the nation.
Plus: the Springtime rebellions might take one or both of our targets out of the Moroccan sphere, so I'd rather have a party in power that strikes while the iron is hot, especially Qattalun seems ripe for some revolts.
Also: switching ruling party will probably change our Vizier (at least that how those events work in regular NNM), so we'd be rid of the guy that halves our infamy reduction.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Crazycryodude posted:

Moderates

We probably need to cook off more infamy before we can really get to warring anyways. We've got a good start on a prosperous Iberia but to be honest we really could use another decade of prestige techs and above all railroads to secure it. The thing about industry and culture techs is that they're the ones that pay off more the earlier you get them because they tend to be growth/percentage bonuses which obviously get exponentially multiplied the more time they have. Whereas military/naval techs are more bonuses to units that can be grabbed whenever and have a flat effect, no difference between now and 10 years from now as long as we stay peaceful. But an extra decade of +research or better literacy gain or getting a huge chunk of prestige from a world first on an art tech are all game changers. Really I think we might even be able to get away with staying Moderates until we invent communism in an update or two and just switch to them to spread the Revolution (which just so happens to need spreading in our Iberian cores first).

Whatever you do please no Imperialists though, our economy can't take LF economic policy this early.

these are all very good points, but im not going to watch 1848 roll around and have us miss out of the fun because of some piddling technocrats

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Okay, well, maybe it's not the best thing, but screw it, now is the time for liberalism! Consider my party-switching revoked, I'm back on the imperialism train, baby.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Laissez faire is bad as gently caress but hell, it's about time (and by that I mean nearly 1848).

Imperialists.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Moderates

Ya'll we're so close to grabbing Darwinism straight out at 1850, and watching our literacy (and all tech obtainment) skyrocket. We need one more decade of stability and alliance building before we'll have the foundation to blow some poo poo up in the 1860s.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Oh I forgot about the whole Laissez Faire thing.

I change my vote from Imperialists, to Moderates!

Maybe a few more years of peace won't be so bad.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

e: Changing my vote to Moderates

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 5, 2018

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Imperialists!

We deserve our place in the sun.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007
Moderates please. Burn off the infamy, build up the industry, then we can jump in.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

GSD posted:

Imperialists!

We deserve our place in the sun.

The time for the imperialists is next session imo. It's important to get the 1860 tech that gets us Monitors.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah the big critical 1850 tech is Darwinism which only the Moderates would go for. Imperialists might be good in 1860 because that's when new boots unlock, but rn we need moderates.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Do we have any allies? This seems like an important thing to look at for the royalist / moderate split.

The most important thing is to not get LF this early so I will vote tactically if necessary.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Man, sad to see Ibriz dropping off the GP rankings. Gharbia is some high drama between them, Imjir and New England.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
Yeah as much fun as it would be to jump into going to war with the Royalists, we need some more time to prepare with technology. One more round of Moderates would be the safest/best.

People who know Victoria 2 mechanics, how bad would Laissez Faire be right now with our amount of factories?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I struggled to choose between imperialists and royalists this time around. Imperialists would probably be more narratively interesting, but we're in kind of a precarious position where we're right next to the biggest, unfriendliest power in the world, and I don't think we're powerful enough to afford toself-sabotage for narrative purposes. Laissez Faire would wreck our economy at this point, and going to war with Morocco with the state of our army tech is asking for trouble.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

RabidWeasel posted:

Do we have any allies? This seems like an important thing to look at for the royalist / moderate split.

The most important thing is to not get LF this early so I will vote tactically if necessary.

We had France, Egypt and Provence - but Provence broke their alliance with us when France added them to their sphere, literally just after the update.

I should also add that some big poo poo is going to be going down over the next decade, now that the Congress has effectively been proven to be a farce.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Aeromancia posted:

Yeah as much fun as it would be to jump into going to war with the Royalists, we need some more time to prepare with technology. One more round of Moderates would be the safest/best.

People who know Victoria 2 mechanics, how bad would Laissez Faire be right now with our amount of factories?

LF wouldn't destroy us but only because we're still a mostly extraction based economy. LF would hurt the few factories we do have and also mostly prevent any new ones from taking hold. So it wouldn't kill us immediately but it would hurt us long-term, and we don't have the people or the land to try and pull a Russia and stay extraction based, we need lotsa factories.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Ok fine, switching to Moderates just so we can grab darwinism and maybe a bit more tech before kicking things off.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

By my count, that puts us at:

Royalists: 8
Moderates: 11
Imperialists: 6

I wouldn't hate a Moderate victory, but I do think it is more narratively interesting to go full revolutionary and roll the dice on whatever events Hashim has input. I'd rather not be left on the sidelines if we have the opportunity to take advantage of the chaos.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Going to vote Imperialist this time. We are going to need to start setting up higher level Naval Bases at some point if we're going to want to achieve our destiny of carving out some nice bits of Africa and Southeast Asia for ourselves.

(If you do end up having Moderates win, Hashim, for gently caress's sake research Ideological Thought and eventually State and Government at some point. You're just leaving Plurality on the table)

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

QuoProQuid posted:

By my count, that puts us at:

Royalists: 8
Moderates: 11
Imperialists: 6

I wouldn't hate a Moderate victory, but I do think it is more narratively interesting to go full revolutionary and roll the dice on whatever events Hashim has input. I'd rather not be left on the sidelines if we have the opportunity to take advantage of the chaos.

No party is going to be left on the sidelines. All want in on the action. The difference is whether or not Andalus is one of/the driving force in the action. Which given our still weakened position, I'm 100% fine with us being defensive/reactive and taking pot shots when the moment looks opportune.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Royalists

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Royalists

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
Royalists

crimea
Nov 16, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
But just to be clear, how exactly do the research focuses of the parties work in practice? Does voting anything other than Royalist place us 20 years behind on mil tech for example?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Moderates

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
Morocco has proven utterly incapable of slaying the hydra of radicalism in its Gharbian colonies and now we see its colonies in Iberia falling sway to the monster as well. How can propping up an ineffectual government prone to radicalism on our border be seen as anything other than a declaration of war?!

For all its posturing at Qadiz we see now that Morocco's sultan is more interested in forestalling the collapse of his imperial dominance over European and African politics than in creating a stable bulwark against the radical hordes. I cast my vote with the fine sirs of the Royalists and call for a strong response to the chaos in Qattalun. Order must be re-established forthwith!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Gentlemen, the time for taking what is ours is now! Royalists

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Let's ride the liberal wave with the Imperialists

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Grand Vizier Uthman al-Houd will, for obvious reasons, stand with his very much Moderate party.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Moderates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Hashim posted:

We had France, Egypt and Provence - but Provence broke their alliance with us when France added them to their sphere, literally just after the update.

I should also add that some big poo poo is going to be going down over the next decade, now that the Congress has effectively been proven to be a farce.

Those are some acceptable allies but I think I will vote Moderates anyway on the basis that holy poo poo guys we don't have mechanical production yet aka the tech that makes your RGOs not suck all the way

Though I do note that all the coal is on the wrong side of the border and we need to rectify that, I figure that the moderates will go to war for our lost provinces in Iberia if the circumstances are particularly good, in spite of them generally not being pro war.

I have to say you did a great job in splitting up priorities and policies between the different parties to make them all appealing and it's a testament to V2 compared to other Paradox games that intentionally not going to war for decades could ever be even a vaguely good idea.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 5, 2018