Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

Dick Trauma posted:

I like that now I'm structuring my game choices around getting to companions so I can have more mayors available to activate additional settlements. Have to pick up Cait to run the drive-in and Strong for Zamonja.

I sent Marcy to Sunshine Tidings. :laugh:

If you don't mind modding this to be a bit easier (who knows, maybe you like the challenge of doing this with only companions), there are tons of mods that add more potential mayors. I'm running two that have been great, minimally intrusive additions that I definitely recommend if you just wanna go whole hog and build everything:

Ted's Leaders Pack makes pre-existing named NPCs at some of the settlements mayor-ready (like Connie Abernathy or Roger Warwick). Great way to work the characters who are already in the game into Sim Settlements. Sturges is my Sanctuary bro :D

Recruitable Leaders adds about 3 dozen folks that you can recruit for your settlements to be mayors (and some provide bonuses as well). They add a lot of fun flavor to settlements, too--I recruited a synth to run a settlement and last time I checked in on it, I had a couple gen-1s and a courser patrolling. Neato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have a different leader mod, and like you I made Sturges the leader for Sanctuary. I'm saving Codsworth for Graygarden.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I have a different leader mod, and like you I made Sturges the leader for Sanctuary. I'm saving Codsworth for Graygarden.

I did that in an earlier playthrough before some of the kinks were worked out, and he bugged hard. I made Supervisor White my leader there this time around because she is a boss-rear end robobitch, and Cods is in charge of Somerville Place where he does a right cracking job, if I do say.

Also if you do more than one Mayor mod you might end up with the same NPC being listed multiple times in your list with different attributes, which is hilarious and good.

Edit edit: because I have a surplus of other mayors, I think pretty hard about where my companions will go, flavor-wise. Preston obviously leads the Castle, aka Preston's Fortress of Shame, and I just put Piper in charge of Hangman's Alley because I feel like it's fitting for her to be super close to Diamond City but in a presumably super gossipy trading hub (which is what Sim Settlements turns it into). I'm gonna make an awesome vacation spot on Spectacle Island and let Hancock run it, and MacCready can get exiled to the whiny rear end in a top hat settlement of my choice. Nick's always gonna ride with me once I grind out affection on everyone else so he doesn't get banished. I'll probably put Cait somewhere appropriately temptation-free. Curie, Deke, and Strong are always kind of tossups for me. Etc. etc. etc.

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 4, 2018

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Oh gosh, I forgot that with the mod I changed my strategy: companions are saved for places without a resident leader, like the drive in, Zamonja, Sunshine, etc. Makes sense to me to let Abernathy, Tenpines et al. run their own settlement.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Oh gosh, I forgot that with the mod I changed my strategy: companions are saved for places without a resident leader, like the drive in, Zamonja, Sunshine, etc. Makes sense to me to let Abernathy, Tenpines et al. run their own settlement.

Basically Sim Settlements is the settlement functionality we should have had in the base game, that's how good it is, and how well it flows with what's already there.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
So I haven't tried Horizons or Sim Settlements, and I probably only ever have one more F4 playthrough in me, so I'm probably going to try a run with both of them since they seem to be compatible. Any other gameplay must-haves outside of cosmetics (which is obviously infinity, so let's ignore thouse) in the current era that would be compatible with both?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Timeless Appeal posted:

Sitting untouched for about ten months.

I don't remember if the Bethesda.net mod changes came down before or after that, but you might need to upgrade Mod Organizer.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

if i put a companion as mayor of a sim settlement does that muck things up if i recruit them and take them with me

as good as the mod is for promotion and documentation of changes sometimes i feel unnecessarily obfuscates things

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Berke Negri posted:

if i put a companion as mayor of a sim settlement does that muck things up if i recruit them and take them with me

yeah I think I read that they will no longer be leader if you do this.

My own sim settlements questions:
does the "progress to next level" percentage that you can see at the city planner's desk slowly increase on its own if I just ignore the settlement? Or do I have to be constantly putting scrap into the safe? I haven't had a settlement get beyond level 0 yet and no new buildings seem to get built beyond the first burst when first setting up. Does putting food and water in the safe also increase the progress? You get a "the settlers are storing your food for hard times" message but I'm not sure what it actually does.

Also when you first assign a leader and you get an option to "scrap everything" and start from scratch, does all that scrap just disappear? Like should I go around and scrap all the random fences and piles of tyres etc. before assigning a leader?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Unormal posted:

So I haven't tried Horizons or Sim Settlements, and I probably only ever have one more F4 playthrough in me, so I'm probably going to try a run with both of them since they seem to be compatible. Any other gameplay must-haves outside of cosmetics (which is obviously infinity, so let's ignore thouse) in the current era that would be compatible with both?

Well, Cursing Bloatflies goes without saying.

Horizon is about as close to a complete overhaul as I've ever seen, the only mods I ended up using with it are minor - mods like Scrap Anything, DEF_UI, Lowered Weapons, things like that. I even think the first two are recommended on the Horizon page. Everything else is so minute that I think it comes down to your personal preference.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

fuf posted:

yeah I think I read that they will no longer be leader if you do this.

My own sim settlements questions:
does the "progress to next level" percentage that you can see at the city planner's desk slowly increase on its own if I just ignore the settlement? Or do I have to be constantly putting scrap into the safe? I haven't had a settlement get beyond level 0 yet and no new buildings seem to get built beyond the first burst when first setting up. Does putting food and water in the safe also increase the progress? You get a "the settlers are storing your food for hard times" message but I'm not sure what it actually does.

Also when you first assign a leader and you get an option to "scrap everything" and start from scratch, does all that scrap just disappear? Like should I go around and scrap all the random fences and piles of tyres etc. before assigning a leader?

Your companion will no longer be mayor if you take them with you - you'll be prompted to select another mayor.

Yes, the settlements will slowly accrue their own scrap for use in upgrading the settlement overtime. The more scavengers your settlement has, the quicker this number will go up. I don't know if food and water counts for this.

No, all the scrap around the settlement gets workbenched - the author was very careful to make sure nothing gets deleted outright. I believe you might actually make it get counted twice if you grab it all first - I don't know if the scripts are smart enough to notice you had already looted all the containers as it loads the workbench with scrap.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I have 2 mods installed that I dont want anymore. Eli's armor and the NCR ranger armor. If I uninstall them is my save hosed? Eli's armor effects leveled lists. I'd probably need to start a new game right?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nah. Uninstall and it will complain the first time you load, then you make another save and it won't complain again.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Holy poo poo, no one told me that Horizon synths were so overwhelming. I waited until I had a full suit of good-condition power armor and mid game-tier weapons to do ArcJet and even with Danse tanking most of it I still blew through about 5 bandages and 3 stimpacks.

Fuckin' terminators, man. @_@

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

marshmallow creep posted:

Nah. Uninstall and it will complain the first time you load, then you make another save and it won't complain again.

Sweet. So the leveled list wont be an issue? I've heard that was in the past.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Riatsala posted:

Well, Cursing Bloatflies goes without saying.

Horizon is about as close to a complete overhaul as I've ever seen, the only mods I ended up using with it are minor - mods like Scrap Anything, DEF_UI, Lowered Weapons, things like that. I even think the first two are recommended on the Horizon page. Everything else is so minute that I think it comes down to your personal preference.

Cool, alright, thanks!

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I am trying mod organizer but I can't log into the goddamn nexus site even though I'm using my correct username and password. Do I just need to download the mods manually and not use the open in nexus whatever bullshit? Frustrating me to no end.

The issue is that Mod Organizer does not log in to the nexus to grab files via mod manager download option. Total poo poo and more arbitrary poo poo to work through. Fallout modding is a hassle. I'm gettin' too old for this poo poo.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

vandalism posted:

I am trying mod organizer but I can't log into the goddamn nexus site even though I'm using my correct username and password. Do I just need to download the mods manually and not use the open in nexus whatever bullshit? Frustrating me to no end.

The issue is that Mod Organizer does not log in to the nexus to grab files via mod manager download option. Total poo poo and more arbitrary poo poo to work through. Fallout modding is a hassle. I'm gettin' too old for this poo poo.

Make sure you got the CDN selected in the servers list in MO2 and make sure you got the newest version of MO2 cause something changed in the not so distant past that required MO2 to update.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Thanks for the heads up but mod organizer 2 can organize my dilz. Now i am having difficulties running LOOT. It doesn't detect any plugins at all, and the baked in organizer isn't doing poo poo. I'm about to call it a day. NMM was at least working fine for me. I've spent four hours dicking with this.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I don't remember if the Bethesda.net mod changes came down before or after that, but you might need to upgrade Mod Organizer.
Thanks for the advice, but modding has become suddenly tragic for me. I tried downloading the new Mod Organizer only for it to tell me it's missing dll files.

And Nexus's manager keeps saying it doesn't have permissions despite the fact that it should when I go to the files.

Has modding gotten harder or have I just gotten dumber?

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 5, 2018

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Thanks for the advice, but modding has become suddenly tragic for me. I tried downloading the new Mod Organizer only for it to tell me it's missing dll files.

And Nexus's manager keeps saying it doesn't have permissions despite the fact that it should when I got to the files.

Has modding gotten harder or have I just gotten dumber?

yes

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Riatsala posted:

Holy poo poo, no one told me that Horizon synths were so overwhelming. I waited until I had a full suit of good-condition power armor and mid game-tier weapons to do ArcJet and even with Danse tanking most of it I still blew through about 5 bandages and 3 stimpacks.

I was almost the same before I let Danse, Codsworth, and Dogmeat do most of the fighting (since Dogmeat can still grab onto synths and stun them). The trick is that Horizon gives them a multiplier for arm damage so you can more easily blow their arms off.

Right now my issue with Horizon is that anti-radiation drugs are so few and far between, doctor treatments for radiation are so expensive, and caps are so rare. I'm intentionally going hungry because I need to eat so much irradiated food in one sitting that my max health is slowly draining down to zero and I have no real way to fix it yet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Riatsala posted:

Oh yeah they're as beastly as they should be given how terrified everyone is of them :v:

Protip: shoot their arms off. That's their weak point. Every creature in horizon has one and for synths it's the arms, presumably the institute cheaped out on that part.

chitoryu12 posted:

I was almost the same before I let Danse, Codsworth, and Dogmeat do most of the fighting (since Dogmeat can still grab onto synths and stun them). The trick is that Horizon gives them a multiplier for arm damage so you can more easily blow their arms off.

Right now my issue with Horizon is that anti-radiation drugs are so few and far between, doctor treatments for radiation are so expensive, and caps are so rare. I'm intentionally going hungry because I need to eat so much irradiated food in one sitting that my max health is slowly draining down to zero and I have no real way to fix it yet.

You shouldn't really be eating irradiated food, is the trick.

Head over to the red rocket cave and pick a shitload of fungus, I think you use that for low tier antirad crafting, and beeline your first perks for medical and hunting so you can craft basic supplies and catch basic game.

Then stuff your face with burgers. The hungrier you are the more food will improve your condition too, I think. The last level of hunger takes quite a bit to get rid of so you might be better staying a bit hungry. Basically though until you get a lot of farms set up, you need to be going on dedicated hunting trips to get as much meat as you can.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 5, 2018

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It took two noodle cups for me to go from second level hungry (not sure what the name is) to just hungry, and four noodle cups to go from hungry to not, so that may be right.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I think I got a lot of arm shots in by virtue of using shotguns and automatics the whole way through, but thank you; I was lining up a few too many headshots.

Radiation is tough and it took me a while to get that squared. So much of managing radiation is just avoiding it in the first place - getting water purification going, never going swimming and doing a lot of hunting to build up unirradiated meal supplies.

Speaking of localized damage and not starving: Kill every Radstag you see, grind their meat and make burgers. Radstags are weakest to head shots to their right head; their left head might as well be a body shot.

Animal stew is also a great easy recipe once you have tato farms and purified water production going. I think you need hubflowers as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Never try to headshot a synth, for all you know they don't even keep their brain in there, mechanically they're just very resistant to it in horizon.

Basically when you find a new enemy in horizon, whip out a gun with high damage and just flick through all the parts in VATS, it will show you which parts will take more or less damage very clearly.

See yes, Radstags. Their other head is vestigial so it takes no extra damage at all, because killing it doesn't actually kill the body. The horizon locational damage is honestly one of the cooler things in the game I think.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 5, 2018

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

atomicgeek posted:

Curie, Deke, and Strong are always kind of tossups for me. Etc. etc. etc.

Human-form Curie gets Covenant, Strong gets Murkwater Construction, Hancock gets Jamaica Plain, Deacon gets Croup Manor.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh and if anyone is using Horizon but doesn't know about this, make sure to check out the root cellar in sanctuary, it's basically set up to give you a bunch of starter gear.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Oh and if anyone is using Horizon but doesn't know about this, make sure to check out the root cellar in sanctuary, it's basically set up to give you a bunch of starter gear.

Yeah it's kind of annoying this isn't in a more obvious spot - the first time I played with Horizon I didn't notice it until well after I needed it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah, I found that one by accident.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I'm tempted to try horizon but I like quick and brutal combat in which i either kill or die in a few shots. Seems more realistic.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've never joined the BoS on any of my too many playthroughs. Am I missing out on anything cool?

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

Dick Trauma posted:

I've never joined the BoS on any of my too many playthroughs. Am I missing out on anything cool?

Is a giant commie bashing robot cool?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

They brought Liberty Prime back?

I found the BoS pretty dull in the other games, that's why I ignored them in this one. Also I rarely ever use power armor.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

:doh: I always forget about that cellar. Free perk point, though, thanks!

vandalism posted:

I'm tempted to try horizon but I like quick and brutal combat in which i either kill or die in a few shots. Seems more realistic.

I, too, felt the same way and it was the biggest hurdle to me trying Horizon. I can't say that I'm completely converted to the Horizon line of thinking, but I think it does an excellent job of replacing the tension of high damage combat mods with something a little more thoughtful and slow-burn. Most combat mods punish poor tactics, planning, and combat performance with death and reload to your last save ~30 minutes ago. Horizon is much more about the possibility of winning every battle but losing the war in that bad tactics are still capable of getting you through a fight, but enough bad wins will leave you bereft of ammo, food, and healing supplies with little to show for it. Kind of like the difference between difficulty in X-Com vs Dark Souls.

Horizon is not as "realistic" in terms of how many times you can get shot and brush it off, but I think that design choice complements the rest of this very punishing survival overhaul in a lot of compelling and fun ways. YMMV

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

For power armor mods is Some Assembly Required still considered to be very good or is there a better alternative by now?

Maybe something that changes how PAs work too but not sure which one of those are more interesting.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think I'm going to start modding some things... after starting Far Harbor, I want a boat and I'm not enthusiastic about the top offerings I've seen after a short search.

Thanks for this thread. It's already set me in the right direction.

I have the G.E.C.K. All is lost.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

So paging OwlFancier or chitoryu, I have a few Horizon questions.

1. Does Horizon implement any kind of inter-settlement shared storage system? All of my junk is at Sanctuary, and I'd like to get the other ~5 settlements in that corner of the map going without having to transport all that stuff around.

1b. If so, can you craft/build directly from that storage?

2. Is there a way of crafting smokeless powder from scratch? Ammo is getting to be a problem.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
You might be able to cheese the junk-moving thing by using the Personal Storage option at the resource manager workstation. Make sure you have a station at each settlement, shove everything in the personal storage at one place, and pull it out at the destination. Not sure if that'll work, though. If it does, you'll probably have to take it out of the personal storage and put it in a workbench before you can use any of it. (edit: I'm assuming you already have the first settlement perk, because that's how you make settlement things. Without it, you'll have to manually haul things around.)

In the weapons lab, there's a Disassembly tab, which lets you break down ammo for parts. It mostly uses batches of 10 bullets (I think 5mm is 20), but it's a way to get powder to make more 10mm.

Also, something that might be more what you're looking for: at the tech lab, I think, you can make packaged versions of stuff like recruitment beacons and generators (it just shoves all the crafting mats you need to make the item into a box or something), and carry those with you when you're establishing settlements.

This is more of a general early-game Horizon tip: the junkyard north of Olivia and the junkyard on the way to Covenant (from the drive-in, just past the military checkpoint) are both good places to find molerats. The one on the way to Covenant also has Ratslayer, the unique Varmint Rifle from New Vegas. It can be chambered in .38 and has been with me pretty much since I first picked it up (I did take off the scope though). Pretty sure they don't respawn or anything, but the one north of Olivia is easy to forget about.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Riatsala posted:

So paging OwlFancier or chitoryu, I have a few Horizon questions.

1. Does Horizon implement any kind of inter-settlement shared storage system? All of my junk is at Sanctuary, and I'd like to get the other ~5 settlements in that corner of the map going without having to transport all that stuff around.

1b. If so, can you craft/build directly from that storage?

2. Is there a way of crafting smokeless powder from scratch? Ammo is getting to be a problem.

Speaking from what I learned of the last version of Horizon, they had the same sharing mechanism as vanilla, in that if you linked them with a supply line, you could share scrap. If you wanted to share loot, you need to build the specific items that say they share items between settlements, but they existed.

You could also "craft" smokeless powder with a special trader bench.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 5, 2018