Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

So like a weapon weapon in dark souls 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Postoyevsky posted:

Shugo's not bad in duels you just have to get really good at trading hits. His moveset is just boring as gently caress, which is a shame cuz he has cool aesthetics

Except he's bad at trading hits because his hyperarmor is easy as hell to break.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’m a bit torn on GBs (even countered ones) breaking his hyper armor. On one hand I feel like removing that would be super stifling to a lot of characters, on the other, it’s weird that his main gimmick is countered by a single button push.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The best counter to losing hyperarmour for Shu is just to keep doing Light xx Headbutt. It puts you on the offensive, kills their stamina and as a by-product, prevents them doing GB to kill your armour.

Just. Keep. Hitting them.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Is there really no way to set area attack to a button instead of the awkward as well double trigger?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I know Shugoki is not great overall but when I need to do 24 heavy takedowns I am happy to bearhug and golf swing some folks.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Shugo may have a small moveset, but by god most of his moves are very satisfying. Clutch embrace is just :discourse:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I pretty much only stopped playing because they clearly weren't going to help Shu outside of being 'THE TEAM FIGHT CHARACTER', because he's so fun.

I mean, if you end up duelling one of the various fast, multi-hit characters, you can be put in so much trouble by just endless offense. And that's before accounting for bullshit like single moves that multi-hit (Which I'm sure they didn't account for when designing him at all, as they just make him so sad)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Some very early impressions about the new heroes from my :ninja:anonymous source:ninja::

Tiandi: The guy with the single-handed curved sword from the trailer, he's the vanguard of the new faction. Like you'd expect from a vanguard the kit is fairly straightforward, though he does have a distinct focus on dodging and dodge-attacks. He's got a light and a heavy version each of dodge attacks, the former being undodgeable (which is a thing now), and the latter having an extra long and far dodge movement. He's got two unblockable bash attacks, one each that can follow up light and heavy (dodge-)attacks. The light one just staggers and allows for a further follow up, whereas the heavy one is a kick that just punts the victim like a dozen meters away for resetting the fight or ledging fools. Most remarkable is that a lot of things can be canceled with dodges and dodge-attacks, so you can get a good mix-up going. On the whole he looks a bit like Berserker, if perhaps a little slower and not quite as heavily focused on the offensive.

Shaolin: The guy with with the combat staff, a hybrid between (presumably) vanguard and assassin. He's a bit more esoteric. For base attacks he's got just a simple alternating infinite chain like Berserker has, and a very quick triple-hit confirming light chain that's sure to become pretty annoying right quick. Like Highlander, he's got a special stance that he can enter after any non-parried attack. From this he's got a whole lot of options: Light attacks with superior block in any direction, heavy undodgeable attacks from the sides, an unblockable top heavy, and finally an unblockable bash that further leads into a light, heavy, and a knockdown. He seems a tad reactive with not a lot in terms of openers, though.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Some very early impressions about the new heroes from my :ninja:anonymous source:ninja::

Tiandi: The guy with the single-handed curved sword from the trailer, he's the vanguard of the new faction. Like you'd expect from a vanguard the kit is fairly straightforward, though he does have a distinct focus on dodging and dodge-attacks. He's got a light and a heavy version each of dodge attacks, the former being undodgeable (which is a thing now), and the latter having an extra long and far dodge movement. He's got two unblockable bash attacks, one each that can follow up light and heavy (dodge-)attacks. The light one just staggers and allows for a further follow up, whereas the heavy one is a kick that just punts the victim like a dozen meters away for resetting the fight or ledging fools. Most remarkable is that a lot of things can be canceled with dodges and dodge-attacks, so you can get a good mix-up going. On the whole he looks a bit like Berserker, if perhaps a little slower and not quite as heavily focused on the offensive.

Shaolin: The guy with with the combat staff, a hybrid between (presumably) vanguard and assassin. He's a bit more esoteric. For base attacks he's got just a simple alternating infinite chain like Berserker has, and a very quick triple-hit confirming light chain that's sure to become pretty annoying right quick. Like Highlander, he's got a special stance that he can enter after any non-parried attack. From this he's got a whole lot of options: Light attacks with superior block in any direction, heavy undodgeable attacks from the sides, an unblockable top heavy, and finally an unblockable bash that further leads into a light, heavy, and a knockdown. He seems a tad reactive with not a lot in terms of openers, though.

This is all true. There's a bunch of streamers who recorded playing with them both at E3, it's not exactly under wraps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW1-oNcHeSo

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I just want the full details on the Warden rework. Give me that unblockable heavy!

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Dodging is my go to escape as an orochi, that's going to be almost as frustrating as dodging into a corner and getting killed for being bad.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

I just want the full details on the Warden rework. Give me that unblockable heavy!
:ninja: You haven't heard this from me, but the new Warden seems pretty strong. They're probably going to be less reliant on shoulder-bash spam (more on that later), but every top heavy in a combo results in the unblockable finisher. I think pretty much anything can lead to the finisher as well; even a zone attack or (the new) forward dodge attack does the trick.
The unblockable itself costs next to no stamina but is very slow; it's basically meant to be feinted based on how your enemy reacts. You can't soft-feint it like Kensei's finisher either, but it has a fairly large feint-window which allows you to counter almost anything the enemy tries to get out of it. It's probably a bad idea to parry it regardless, thanks to the ol' crushing counter.

As for the shoulder-bash, you straight up can't soft-feint it into a guardbreak anymore. In return it now has variable timing depending on when you let go of the guardbreak button (though only the fully charged version gets hyper-armor and the stronger impact, still). It's also a fair bit faster and has more reach, plus you can hard-feint it as long as you haven't started the actual charge. The extra speed makes it a viable opener from neutral as well, so while you can't "vortex" with it anymore, it's a much more flexible move overall.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gotta say, I'm a bit torn about the new mode. On the one hand, it does have a nice flow to it, with exciting and often close finales. The map is also varied and open enough so that it doesn't just degrade into a straight grind at the current objective. However, one of the most annoying parts in Dominion was always fighting in the middle of the minions. It was awkward and janky with them randomly getting in your way at the worst moments. And now those fuckers are at every point of interest, can take several hits, deal more damage (which is significant with rare sources of heals), and worst of all can interrupt you out of important actions like executions and revives. That's kind of a big source of frustration, particularly since those extended actions are pretty important in this mode what with the limited respawns.

As for the heroes, Tiandi seems good and fun so far, with a distinct playstyle and a nice selection of options. But Shaolin seems weird. It seems like half his moveset is reactive in nature, but you can't actually get it on demand what with having to transition into the stance, and taken on their own those moves seem a bit to slow to really be worth it if not for their unique properties. You can still get by pretty well on the other half of the moveset, but that seems a bit of a waster. Perhaps there's some trickery to it that I haven't yet discovered. :shrug:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Is Valk going to get some care and love? :shobon:

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

:ssh: according to my source she's the second rework in the beta, next to Warden

It uh, sounds like she's becoming like an off-brand conqueror, which I'm not sure if I'm fond of. We'll see though

Perestroika posted:

As for the heroes, Tiandi seems good and fun so far, with a distinct playstyle and a nice selection of options. But Shaolin seems weird. It seems like half his moveset is reactive in nature, but you can't actually get it on demand what with having to transition into the stance, and taken on their own those moves seem a bit to slow to really be worth it if not for their unique properties. You can still get by pretty well on the other half of the moveset, but that seems a bit of a waster. Perhaps there's some trickery to it that I haven't yet discovered. :shrug:
I feel like the Shaolin is missing something to open up defensive players. Not being able to go into the stance after the initial hit doesn't help either and feels really awkward, especially when coming from Highlander. He's also a lot more simplistic than I was expecting from the e3 footage I've seen.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
We want a Shugo rework. Everyone tell your secret source.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I really liked what i played of Tiandi so far. The amount of options you have from a dodge is unreal combined with the light dodges having superior block makes it a real powerhouse. I'm still undecided on monkey king because it feels like an assassin version of highlander where the second stance takes just a little too long to enter from an attack.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Shaolin owns because he never stops screaming and I love me some kung fu wailing.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Dorkopotamis posted:

As a fat man player I both do, and don’t want a rework that adds too much.

It’s totally true that in a serious match he is trash because he has no offense if the other player is defensive. But on the other hand I don’t mind because he is such a lazy character to play, he’s great to chill out with. Whenever I’m matched vs an actual good player just accept your loss.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

i've heard from multiple people that the rework literally makes her worse.

quote:

It uh, sounds like she's becoming like an off-brand conqueror, which I'm not sure if I'm fond of. We'll see though

not really, her shoulder bash guarantees a light but it's much slower and can only come from the beginning of a chain that's heavy-feinted

big business man fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 8, 2018

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Dorkopotamis posted:

I do, but only if it makes command grabs more of a thing, so people become terrified in a Gief way about just standing too close to him NOT doing anything.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Postoyevsky posted:

not really, her shoulder bash guarantees a light but it's much slower and can only come from the beginning of a chain that's heavy-feinted
Nah you can soft feint the heavy at any time during a chain which, in combination with having literally every light/heavy chain-option now, gives her quite the mix-up potential. (besides, I was referring to conq's heavy soft-feint and not his dodge shieldbash, hence the off-brand comment)
You can now also cancel the shield-bash's recovery frames by attacking, which allows you to catch guardbreak attempts or whatever

My main complaint about her rework is that they neutered her back-dodge shield-tackle for no reason; It's just completely useless the way it is. Also I don't think you can guardbreak -> charge headbutt -> guaranteed swipe anymore which is a shame

Overall though, I think her new kit has lots of potential but needs some tweaks, much like Warden's new kit.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've only played a couple of rounds with her, but new Valk does feel marginally better (not like that's a high bar :smith:). The new shield crush offers some better mixup capabilities, though it does seem vulnerable against enemies just proactively dodging away which will defend against either option. I've never really used the tackle very much, so no loss there as far as I'm concerned. I think there's also been a bit of a damage buff to regular attacks? At least it doesn't seem to take forever to whittle people down. Basically you no longer have to bend over backwards just to get a bit of damage in, which seems like a step forwards so far. Though it's still kinda hard to reliably get in an execution with her, which is a bit of a drawback particularly in the new mode.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Is the new mode good? Is it worth digging the invite to the beta teat out of my inbox and signing an NDA (wtf?) over it?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

New mode is real cool, if you ever played Chivalry think of it sort of like that level where you're breaching parts of a castle and have to kill a suped up lord at the end of it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Fresh from the salt mines.

Missing from this image is that before he accused me of "spamming" he also accused me of "turtling".

Also I didn't crop out my character cause she is awesome. I just wish the hair on that helmet wasn't blonde.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Heard there was a new mode with dedicated servers out soon, forgot how fun this game is. Any big changes to warlord? It was the only class I was really good with

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I bought highlander, he seems cool

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Highlander is very good + fun.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Agean90 posted:

Heard there was a new mode with dedicated servers out soon, forgot how fun this game is. Any big changes to warlord? It was the only class I was really good with
Dedicated servers are already out. There's a big update with a new faction coming within a few months though!

As for the Warlord, he hasn't changed much at all but is still solid. Some of the more competitive players even consider him to be the best 1v1'er in the game because of his crashing charge mixup, so you're good

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I just picked this up and am absolutely loving it. Very unique game. I'm still garbage at it though. It looks like there has been a ton of balance effort put into it. Is there a solid guide anywhere focusing on fundamentals? I did the trials, but they only really show you that mechanics exist, period. Failing that any general tips for improving? Discussion here seems to have slowed to a trickle and Reddit is... Less than helpful.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Do the advanced tutorials and a little bit of the singleplayer if you're a masochist. All you really need to know is your character's moveset and combos (which are listed in the options when you're playing them), parrying (start a heavy attack from your opponent's attack direction when the red indicator flashes), and feinting (press E after starting a heavy attack to instantly cancel out of it).

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

BurningBeard posted:

I just picked this up and am absolutely loving it. Very unique game. I'm still garbage at it though. It looks like there has been a ton of balance effort put into it. Is there a solid guide anywhere focusing on fundamentals? I did the trials, but they only really show you that mechanics exist, period. Failing that any general tips for improving? Discussion here seems to have slowed to a trickle and Reddit is... Less than helpful.

Probably the most important foundational skill is being able to land parries and counter-guardbreaks reasonably reliably. Of course that's something that will largely improve through simple practice from playing, but particularly at the beginning it might be a good idea to load up a training session with a bot throwing out simple attacks/gbs and spend a few minutes learning to get the timing down. Particularly the counter-guardbreak window can be a bit tricky, it's a bit later than you'd expect.

As for assorted random tips:

-Don't be afraid of trying out different characters until you find one that clicks. This isn't like some other beat em ups were you need to put hours into learning the in and outs of a particular character before you can get anywhere with them. Most skills that you learn (mostly to do with timing and reading opponents) are very transferable from one character to the next.

-Heavy attacks can be a bit of a trap. If you just throw them out against a ready enemy, you're rather likely to be parried. Save them for when you can be sure they hit (because the enemy is stunned, for example), or for when you're setting up a feint.

-Parrying an enemy heavy attack grants you a free light attack in return. Parrying a light attack (indicated by a white flash and special sound effect) grants you a free heavy attack.

-Successfully guardbreaking an enemy usually grants you a guaranteed side heavy attack. Guardbreaking and then throwing them into a wall or obstacle grants you a guaranteed top heavy attack, which usually deals the most damage.

-Guardbreaks counter dodges. If you guardbreak a guy in the middle of a dodge, it's guaranteed to land and cannot be countered. However, this does not apply to the dodge-attacks that some characters (mostly assassins) have.

-Light attacks counter guardbreaks. If you find yourself up against a guy who spams guardbreaks, just proactively hit him with light attacks. The gb will bounce off and your attack is guaranteed to land.

-In group fights, never ever just throw random attacks at an enemy's back. Those are very easy to block and fill up his revenge meter in a hurry. Instead, wait until they're in an attack of their own, or go for unblockables and guardbreaks.

-Always be ledging fools.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Awesome guys thanks for all the help. On ps4 as HighOnPyre if anyone plays there. Seems like I was making it more complicated than it needed to be. Been working bots to nail down timing already.
This is a longshot but is there any way I might be able to increase visibility on the guard indicators for incoming attacks? I have lovely eyesight and I have a rough time seeing them. I messed with the colorblind modes but didn't see any improvements really. I can probably get a handle on the animations themselves and that is probably better in the long term, but they help while I'm getting a hang of things.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Exodee posted:

Dedicated servers are already out. There's a big update with a new faction coming within a few months though!

As for the Warlord, he hasn't changed much at all but is still solid. Some of the more competitive players even consider him to be the best 1v1'er in the game because of his crashing charge mixup, so you're good

Rad, thought the connections were smoother. Glad I can still headbutt nerds then shove them into a locker.

Glad the PS4 is still active, once I did a few 1v1s to get back in the swing of things I was able to play dominions without much wait and then remembered why i didn't play dominions sober

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Agean90 posted:

Rad, thought the connections were smoother. Glad I can still headbutt nerds then shove them into a locker.

Glad the PS4 is still active, once I did a few 1v1s to get back in the swing of things I was able to play dominions without much wait and then remembered why i didn't play dominions sober

Don't play any competitive online game sober ever hth.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I didn't see any actual announcements about it, but a number of executions, emotes and outfits are on a steel discount. Take a look at your preferred heroes and see if there's anything to pick up.

Got the Shugoki "sit on them", Val the Impaler and Shinobi "Get back here" executions for 12k total.

Matazat
Aug 12, 2011

That's because they were planning on removing those items from the store because "there's too many". The community got super pissed about it and Ubi walked it back, but they're still keeping the sale going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

So Glad has a literally infinite OOS punish? He can just toestab you into knocking you down until you die and you can't do anything about it?