Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

we've managed to work together crippled master style to get through life.

I appreciate this reference. :v:

It's just very atypical since doing that has a high chance of creating problems for the therapist, like if there are codependency issues or issues where the solution is for the two to separate, stuff like that. Like every therapist my wife and I went to flat-out refused to do this outside of in the form of couples' therapy, which is a different thing. Even for stuff where the partner is helping, the therapist doesn't generally interact with the partner directly and the "plan" is just given to the actual patient to go over with their partner, maybe there might be the odd session where the partner is brought in but even that's pretty rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Phantasium posted:

good god drat loving luck with Adventure Island

I grew up trying to beat Ghosts N’ Goblins, I have accepted failing to beat difficult NES games

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I know our therapist has had one-on-one sessions with us before and I know she's never told me that she thinks it'd be more helpful for her to see us separate. Just that if we want to do that, that's fine, but that because both of us are so important to the other's mental well-being and both of us are pretty much willing to do whatever it takes for the sake of the other, we just get a double session with one focused on me and the other focused on her and switching back and forth or mixing as needed.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Adventure Island's continuously draining life bar unless you keep on picking up fruit to live is, like, one of the most stressful game design choices ever

It's like underwater Sonic near drowning except all the time

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 5, 2018

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Adventure Island's continuously draining life bar unless you keep on picking up fruit to live is, like, one of the most stressful game design choices ever

I really like the implicit speedrun mechanic, most of the levels would be really bland if you weren't just running through them super fast, but what really fucks the difficulty (at least in the first one) is that they start with okay level design in the first few levels and then everything after that is the same levels but with more poo poo to dodge. So not only does it gently caress with your muscle memory, it's also just harder in general, until you get to some of the final levels with platforms that are just long enough for you to get to a precise speed to continuously jump across like 20 of them in a row and if you don't do it perfectly you're just hosed.

This is actually reminding me that I forgot to post about this during the Steam sale, but I bought a game when it started called Miles & Kilo that is a mobile port of a runner game and somehow it's one of the better platformers I've played in years. I mention it now because it felt pretty obvious that they had some sort of influence from Adventure Island, since the way you throw fruit in that game looks like how Higgins throws axes, and you there are snakes that move one pixel at a time like AI snails, enemies like frogs with multiple patterns based on color, etc. It's weird because for the PC version they added the ability to turn off the autorun (and it's off by default) but the game feels super wrong without it, like playing a DKC minecart level where you have to keep moving the cart.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Adventure Island has the slipperiest controls I've ever seen in a platformer. The whole game is an ice level

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Please Sinderion, enough with your Nirnroots. I'm trying to save the world, I'm juggling three guild jobs to pay for my skooma habit and being a property magnate across Cyrodiil does not come cheap, I do not have time for this!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lets hang out posted:

Adventure Island has the slipperiest controls I've ever seen in a platformer. The whole game is an ice level

and they also have ice levels

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Also the continue feature is a huge middle finger after the first few worlds because you fully need powerups to get through stages and they expect you to have them coming in, which you won't if you're continuing.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

also the continue feature is a hidden powerup at the end of the first level

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Adventure Island is a kind of bad game that the people that got good at it will not allow to be called a bad game because of how much time they put into getting good at it.

Unrelated, finally beat Hollow Knight. This would have happened like a week ago but the game kept crashing on the final fight and nothing takes away the will to try again and again at a pain in the rear end, hard as nails, overly long boss fight like the knowledge that it could also just crash at any second. Still, finally got through it and while there is still a few things I could do, I think I'll take my 101% and move onto another game (at least until they get the Hornet campaign done).

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

gently caress you master higgins!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

master higgins is a really good name for a videogame character

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's weird to me that the main character in Adventure Island was some random Japanese celebrity and when they brought it to the west they kept him looking exactly the same but changed his name which I guess was necessary for...reasons.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm gonna be blunt and say I don't understand why we should be worried about this at all since all the psychiatrist does is prescribe the meds depending on how we're doing and the info they get from the therapist since they operate out of the same building.

We're so intertwined with one another that separating us would just create a lot of problems since KCB helps me get through my issues and I help her with getting through her issues and the therapist and psychiatrist both agree that keeping us in the loop is a good thing since it means we can create plans and tackle them together, so when there's something I need to be working on, KCB knows what that is and we can spend the session figuring out how best for her to help with that, or vice versa.

Like, I can understand this being an issue if this were a scenario like how when I was younger, I'd be in therapy and have my mother there as well and that meant I never actually got any help because my mother was the source of my problems and I couldn't very well say that while she was in the room with me, but with KCB and I, we're like each others' support structures and we've grown together in such a way that even though we are two humans so broken that we can't even hold ourselves up, we've managed to work together crippled master style to get through life.

The whole thing's purpose is exactly so you don't influence each other during sessions or that the psychiatrist themselves isn't influenced by the other during one's session but if the medical professional is fine with it, sure, it must not be harming both of you.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Mashing doesn't even help in adventure island

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

Adventure Island is a kind of bad game that the people that got good at it will not allow to be called a bad game because of how much time they put into getting good at it.

3 is legit good.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

exquisite tea posted:

I can't believe a movie as gay as Call Me By Your Name had zero dicks in it. Boobs yes, schlongs no. Nada! What a disappointment, or should I say, a dicksappointment!

That's one of the many reasons why this is the far superior gay movie of 2017.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

The Colonel posted:

did you hang out with the friend? the more reserved endings are pretty low-key but the ending where you hang out with your friend's friend is probably the best one to end on cause it just ends on you awkwardly talking about being gay in the hot springs together and then afterwards you both go out for a night on the town. i think it actually makes for a better ending than the world is kind

that's the one I got, she knows already when you're in the hot springs together and then best friend's boyfriend is coming over and she's like "haru n me are going out actually." e; oh wait but you go to another hot spring on the attendant's recommendation It said something in the credits like "sometimes the world is kind."

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

High level bj sounds in call me by your name though

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I thought the age difference in Call Me By Your Name was gross and never watched it

Love, Simon was great though.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Simon sounded hmmm but some woman on Amazon was extremely mad about its positive portrayal of fujoshi so that's one thing going for it

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
tag urself, I'm Captain Falcon's buns

https://twitter.com/EdbotnikThe/status/1014551030061846528

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

It's weird to me that the main character in Adventure Island was some random Japanese celebrity and when they brought it to the west they kept him looking exactly the same but changed his name which I guess was necessary for...reasons.
please respect takahashi meijin

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPaM49ZNBTk

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i hit the time limit in the octopath traveller demo and I want the rest of that game right now!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wonder Boy/Adventure Island makes a lot more sense when you look at it as the prototype for endless runners. The idea came along when the devs were run over by a Ghosts n' Goblins machine on a skateboard then played SMB in the hospital for weeks.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I can't decide what to play first between Capitán Todd and O.C.T.O.P.A.T.H. Traveler

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I can't decide what to play first between Capitán Todd and O.C.T.O.P.A.T.H. Traveler

Captain Toad for sure

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Captain Toad 4ever

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah but octopath 8ever, can't argue with math

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

captain toad is like 10 minutes long, just knock it out in an afternoon

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfkQvOZ06vc

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is Octopath Traveler a game where you pick a character from the start and that's your main character for the rest of the game, 7th Saga style, or is it a game where each character has their own story and you need to play through all of them to complete the game, Live-A-Live style?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Is Octopath Traveler a game where you pick a character from the start and that's your main character for the rest of the game, 7th Saga style, or is it a game where each character has their own story and you need to play through all of them to complete the game, Live-A-Live style?

I don't know for sure, but it seems like the latter ala Saga Frontier.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Samuringa posted:

I don't think I ever watched a Bond movie. Nothing against them, just never did it. Thought of watching the Craig movies more than once but just kinda forgot about it.

they're toxic, congratulatory machismo in movie form, and only the most recent ones have (poorly) attempted to address that

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

neither, you choose your starter character and play their prologue, and then it dumps you into the open world and the other seven are just out there for you to find. then you play through their prologue just the same as if you had picked them as your starter, you get to use all the characters you've accumulated up to that point and I think the difficulty scales up a little, but none of the writing acknowledges that you have more than just that character. after that point I think you can just play each character's story chapters in whichever order you like and swap your starter out if you want, I don't think you ever have a designated main character, just whoever's story you happen to be doing at that moment

its a lot like romancing saga or saga frontier but more open ended

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

No. You pick a character to start and go around recruiting the other 7.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Consider this very important negative toward Octopath Traveler though: Captain Toad himself is not in it. So

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man I picked up a lot of weird games from this Steam sale. I hope everyone else had some neat finds!

• Locked thread