Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
sazh and vanille is so awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
The final boss in ff13 is the best because he doesn't want to live in a final fantasy game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

lobster22221 posted:

The final boss in ff13 is the best because he doesn't want to live in a final fantasy game.
A common uniting goal between the protagonists and antagonists of all the FF13 games.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

odin is kickin my rear end

e: kicked odin's rear end

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 5, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Wonderful mods for everyone, and then a Bayonetta with no mouth/eye movement and instead of her amazing outfits it's a cheap-rear end set of Daisy Dukes that clip through her model? :cmon:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

corn in the bible posted:

odin is kickin my rear end

e: kicked odin's rear end

Seriously one of the hardest fights in the game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

FF15 was worth the wait.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Bruceski posted:

Wonderful mods for everyone, and then a Bayonetta with no mouth/eye movement and instead of her amazing outfits it's a cheap-rear end set of Daisy Dukes that clip through her model? :cmon:

Dude, Bayonetta could be wearing literally nothing and she would still be amazing.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Ph-phrasing?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gologle posted:

Dude, Bayonetta could be wearing literally nothing and she would still be amazing.

Isn't she essentially already wearing nothing since her "clothing" is her hair?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

All clothing is hair, when you think about it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

All clothing is hair, when you think about it.

Silk? Leather?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

should i be upgrading weapons or what. i dont understand how this system is supposed to work

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Gladio as a samurai just ain't doing it for me. Then again, nothing about Gladio does it for me.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Hellioning posted:

Silk? Leather?

Leather is just hair that grows off bone and muscle. And isn't hair.

Silk is stringy and hair is stringy. Therefore silk is hair.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
That explains why those floors were so shiny.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

should i be upgrading weapons or what. i dont understand how this system is supposed to work
Upgrade accessories until you find weapons with a nice sounding special property and then upgrade that weapon. Or don't, the critical path is doable with just crystarium growth stats.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

You don't really need to. If you ever have trouble with a fight, just upgrade your equipment then. It's nbd

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
7 and 9 are on sale on ps4. Do I wanna go through them again???

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Sure. 7's still fun.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

9 is good but you're probably better off with the rose colored glasses for 7

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Having played through 12TZA and seeing the beauty of 4x speed, I figured I could go through 9 with a multiplier.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the thing to know about ff9's speed multiplier is that it's so fast that you can't really navigate the area maps well, or input battle commands. it's definitely something you'll toggle intermittently, literally seconds between switching on and off, as you play.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Put goo on a thing to increase EXP modifier. Then put metal on a thing to increase level faster.

That's literally it. It's not complicated in the slightest (but it is ungodly expensive at later stages) and IIRC it even tells you this upfront.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dragonatrix posted:

Put goo on a thing to increase EXP modifier. Then put metal on a thing to increase level faster.

That's literally it. It's not complicated in the slightest (but it is ungodly expensive at later stages) and IIRC it even tells you this upfront.

actually it says "experiment to find out what bonuses components offer, and have fun!"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

According to the guide it's only

Components that improve the exp multiplier (typically organic, have the claw symbol)
Components that give good exp (typically mechanical, have the screw)
Components that transform max level weapons to the next tier

It's not worth upgrading at the minute because the upgrade system works best in bulk. Every component has a hidden score of how much it affects the multiplier organic components are all positive and your multiplier increases when you apply enough of a component that their cumulative score hit a certain threshold. The threshold for 3X is 501 points for example if you use 36 Sturdy Bones at once to level up your weapon it will instantly have the 3X bonus as a single sturdy bone has a score of +14. The problem is that the components that have big exp value aka most of the mechanical ones have negative hidden scores, so every time you use them they lower the multiplier. There's a way around this though. Let's say your hidden score is 501 AKA 3X and you upgrade with a material that has a hidden score of -100, now your multiplier is decreased and only one upgrade material had the 3X applied to it. If instead you upgraded with 10 of those same components at once all 10 would get the 3X bonus and your hidden score only returns to 0. So the best way to upgrade anything is to just buy 36 sturdy bones from Creature Comforts, apply them all, then buy a component from Lenora's garage in bulk that has a good exp payoff to gil cost and apply them all in bulk. It's better even to sell most of your components to do this I think as even rare components with amazing exp aren't as useful as applying other components in massive bulk to get the 3X allat once.

There are also components like credit chips which just exist to be sold, anything that has a description like "sold for a premium"

e: However the componets with great exp to gil price still haven't appeared in the shops for me and I'm on chapter 11 so I did spend some time on chapter 9 or 10 upgrading my main crew's weapons even though it wasn't optimal use of components

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 6, 2018

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Organic components (wood/bone/etc) give bad EXP but increase the multiplier. Metallic components (engine/screw/bolt/etc) give good EXP but decrease the multiplier.

Put organic poo poo on your equipment until the multiplier is at the 3X maximum, then stick a bighuge pile of metallic components on there at once to get the benefits of the 3X multiplier. When it's maxed out, put the special "increase to next evolutionary step"-item on it. Rinse and repeat.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Leveling up accessories before chapter 11 is useful. Especially HP ones.

Leveling up weapons has very little effect before that.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Playing through XII on pc, and really starting to wish there was a difficulty mod or something to decrease xp. Classic Final Fantasy where playing through anything extra beyond the story makes the party massively overpowered. Also lots of cool systems that break the game, but why bother, because they can be a grind and trivialize the rest of the content.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If you upgrade your weapons, you get weapons with cooler names

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Fruits of the sea posted:

Playing through XII on pc, and really starting to wish there was a difficulty mod or something to decrease xp. Classic Final Fantasy where playing through anything extra beyond the story makes the party massively overpowered. Also lots of cool systems that break the game, but why bother, because they can be a grind and trivialize the rest of the content.

Found this difficulty mod on Nexus: https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy12/mods/59

I have not tried this myself however so I don't know how hard and/or tedious the game will be with it.

mirarant fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 6, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fruits of the sea posted:

there's an accessory that reduces xp to zero when you have it equipped.

Alternately, just mod the game to unlock new game- and play the whole thing at level 1 :v:

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

actually it says "experiment to find out what bonuses components offer, and have fun!"

They tell you specifically that some raise the EXP bonus and some lower it. Then you take 5 seconds to figure out that the ones that raise it are the bits from monsters with the fang markers, and the ones that lower it are the bits from machines with the screw markers. It's not that bad really.

EmmyOk posted:

e: However the componets with great exp to gil price still haven't appeared in the shops for me and I'm on chapter 11 so I did spend some time on chapter 9 or 10 upgrading my main crew's weapons even though it wasn't optimal use of components

If you were using superconductors then you're mostly fine. And you can get the shop with the Ultracompact Reactors pretty early on in Chapter 11 by doing missions so you're mostly set in getting the shops for components. There are a couple of other shops that open up much later but they don't have components so it's not relevant here.

EmmyOk posted:

So the best way to upgrade anything is to just buy 36 sturdy bones from Creature Comforts, apply them all, then buy a component from Lenora's garage in bulk that has a good exp payoff to gil cost and apply them all in bulk.

So in general, this approach is fine.

But to get technical about optimal stuff, there are some times where you don't need to use all the sturdy bones at once, or you don't need all 36 sturdy bones, or where sturdy bones/superconductors might not actually be the most cost efficient ones if you have other components around. It all depends on the specifics for each equipment.

And sadly, I don't think there's any current useful user-friendly way to share it. Probably the easiest thing is Etro's Gate weapons/accessories lists here which keeps it simple to sturdy bones/superconductors/reactors, but you need some internet archive to even be able to access it like I just did here. It still works but navigating the site is just slow now.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 6, 2018

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ventana posted:

They tell you specifically that some raise the EXP bonus and some lower it. Then you take 5 seconds to figure out that the ones that raise it are the bits from monsters with the fang markers, and the ones that lower it are the bits from machines with the screw markers. It's not that bad really.

If you were using superconductors then you're mostly fine. And you can get the shop with the Ultracompact Reactors pretty early on in Chapter 11 by doing missions so you're mostly set in getting the shops for components. There are a couple of other shops that open up much later but they don't have components so it's not relevant here.

Yeah I used some that had pretty good exp and I had lots of and found some inthe shop that had a cheap price and decent exp but there's on a bit later that's double the exp for the same price so I figured I'd hold off until then for more. The guide had like the top five items price:exp ration listed with some cheap ones and some expensive ones. It just seems a waste to use the great items I have when there's only a few and they'll boof the multiplier if I apply them so I'm better selling them to buy something else in bulk imo

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

9 is good but you're probably better off with the rose colored glasses for 7

I played 7 for the first time recently and I had fun with it, so I respectfully disagree with this post

I don't think it was amazing or anything but it was a good jrpg, even if I'm still not like 100% sure what was going on with sephiroth and jenova

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jenova was the protomolecule all along.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

7 aged ok I think. Not graphically, generally, but the game is good

Silk is worm hair

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
iirc Sturdy Bones and Superconductors are the best value-for-money upgrade ingredients until you get really late into the game and unlock a secret shop after lots of sidequesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015

The White Dragon posted:

FF15's story gets railroaded extremely hard starting in chapter 9, and some players were extra bitter because you literally get on a train for a few chapters. I didn't think it was bad at all, though*. If you're playing on PS4, you'll miss out on a lot of the new content if you don't buy DLCs.

That doesn't sound completely terrible. Is it a full on departure from combat too?