Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

all he had to do was draw a line between the two groups of words

spog posted:

But it did make me wonder: are there any stupidly powerful portable water pumps in existence? For some niche use that I haven't heard of. Real big fuckers, like they are powered by an engine from a 747 and used to empty an oil well or drain lakes.

germany offered the us super duper portable pumps during katrina while dubya was thumbing his rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WHERE IS ELON MUSK! DO SOMETHING!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If the Thai kids die I'm blaming ol' Musky, personally.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

spog posted:

25 minutes to empty an Olympic sized swimming pool just won't cut the mustard for me.

I want something that can do it <60 seconds.

E: the first one

here is a fire boat that could empty an olympic-size swimming pool in ten minutes, that's pretty good

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Forty_Three

i also have some reference materials on how to get the boat into the jungle

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

DON'T LEFT
RIGHT INSIDE

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

PetraCore posted:

I've heard they're doing things other than pumping, like creating a dam to divert water flow into the caves. That's been helping more than the pumping. They're not dumb.

It's probably pourous limestone. It'll flow from everywhere.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh east bay MUD you are always such a delight

Touring their sewage treatment plant is the only time on an industrial site tour that I had the guide say "if you can, *dont* use the hand rails on the stairs" because sometimes the room flooded full of raw sewage. So that's OSHA af.

That plant once found a live puppy in the sewage intake and another time an entire 30 foot tree. One of the employees adopted the puppy.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I'll admit, when I first heard of this story, I was thinking more Carlsbad Caverns and less unexplored hole in the ground. Because who in their right mind takes a bunch of teenagers to some random cave without checking basic things like "can we get back out and go home if everything goes wrong?"

Basically I'm saying you take school trips to tourist attractions not legit caves, and yeah, if Carlsbad Caverns floods I expect cave divers to have everyone evacuated within twelve hours because everything that could have posed a trapping hazard should have been dynamited a century ago.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
it was probably "oh lets take a look just inside the entrance of this cave" and then something between them and the entrance flooded, and they had to continue further into the cave as the water continued rising

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I don't know the particulars of this case but if it's anything like the American Southwest you can have monsoon rains 100 miles away that cause flooding and death in canyons while the weather is hot and clear.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

There's a guy on Youtube who has a channel documenting those kinds of flash floods. It's pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yCnQuILmsM&t=190s

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

FCKGW posted:

I don't know the particulars of this case but if it's anything like the American Southwest you can have monsoon rains 100 miles away that cause flooding and death in canyons while the weather is hot and clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5I9CEPOOI4&t=190s

Also skip to 8:50 if you want to see something real cool (and scary)

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Sagebrush posted:

here is a fire boat that could empty an olympic-size swimming pool in ten minutes, that's pretty good

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Forty_Three

i also have some reference materials on how to get the boat into the jungle

So that's how this episode got its name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr50So-zu1M

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

FCKGW posted:

I know a guy who was working for a mineral exploration company where some of their contractors left around half a million worth of survey equipment in a dry creek bed. There had been torrential rains about 80km away that reached where they had left it as a flash flood about 2 hours later. Smashed the poo poo out of everything, nothing was recovered.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Memento posted:

I know a guy who was working for a mineral exploration company where some of their contractors left around half a million worth of survey equipment in a dry creek bed. There had been torrential rains about 80km away that reached where they had left it as a flash flood about 2 hours later. Smashed the poo poo out of everything, nothing was recovered.

Yeah, this is why if you find a nice flat spot sheltered from the wind you don't camp in it. It's a dry riverbed that'll flash-flood during the night and kill you.
Fake edit: also don't camp under the nice sheltering tree, it'll drop a limb during the night and kill you.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Yeah, this is why if you find a nice flat spot sheltered from the wind you don't camp in it. It's a dry riverbed that'll flash-flood during the night and kill you.

My favourite tenting memory was when the idiot in charge decided that the only bit of really flat and bare ground for miles around was the perfect spot to pitch our tent. It didn't take long for the ice to melt enough for him to realize it was a loving pond.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Potrzebie posted:

It's probably pourous limestone. It'll flow from everywhere.
Yeah, they've got like long pipes draining the dammed water to somewhere it won't go right in the caves.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

quite stretched out posted:

it was probably "oh lets take a look just inside the entrance of this cave" and then something between them and the entrance flooded, and they had to continue further into the cave as the water continued rising

I think it was more a case of "hey this neat thing is just around the corner, we will take a look at it and will be back in five minutes", and then rain happens.

I wonder why drilling the walls or to just widen the passages into the caves aren't an option yet.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

HardDiskD posted:

I think it was more a case of "hey this neat thing is just around the corner, we will take a look at it and will be back in five minutes", and then rain happens.

I wonder why drilling the walls or to just widen the passages into the caves aren't an option yet.

They got doctors and nurses to the boys, so instead of the passage being difficult it is the logistic of dragging out 13 malnourished and exhausted people along a passage, that takes 6 hours for healthy people, posing a problem.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Lone Badger posted:

Fake edit: also don't camp under the nice sheltering tree, it'll drop a limb during the night and kill you.

This lesson gets learned pretty hard in Australia once or twice a year. Usually along the lines of "child killed when tree branch falls on their tent" :(

HardDiskD posted:

Getting the equipment there is probably something with a lead time of several weeks to months. They might not have that kind of time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
We'll simply get the kids in a SCUBA and simply widen the passage and simply take the spoil to simply raise the bridge.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

HardDiskD posted:

How hard is it to use a jackhammer underwater anyways?

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

FCKGW posted:

How hard is it to use a jackhammer underwater anyways?

Just give the kids some picks and tell them to start digging up, it's not like they have anything else to do

So many simple solutions here, why can't these people see what is so clear to a bunch of internet nerds

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Did any of those kids every play Dwarf Fortress?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Tochiazuma posted:

Just give the kids some picks and tell them to start digging up, it's not like they have anything else to do

So many simple solutions here, why can't these people see what is so clear to a bunch of internet nerds
I think the term you are looking for is 'shut ins'

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Three-Phase posted:

Did any of those kids every play Dwarf Fortress?

Obviously not, or they'd be pumping magma up and making sweet obsidian statues on their way out.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.
One of the rescuers has died

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

God this sucks

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

It's hard to find an overview of this. News stories are all about rescuers moms and junk. Was the cave dry when the kids went in?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

fuuuuuuuuuuuck the other day I was wondering if/when a rescuer was gonna bite it, I'm really sad it happened. God this better not be a bad omen.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Memento posted:

This lesson gets learned pretty hard in Australia once or twice a year. Usually along the lines of "child killed when tree branch falls on their tent" :(
Maybe a dropbear ate your bay-bee.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
https://i.imgur.com/URm9Xep.gifv

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Bombadilillo posted:

It's hard to find an overview of this. News stories are all about rescuers moms and junk. Was the cave dry when the kids went in?

No. The water was already in there.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

RabbitWizard posted:

No. The water was already in there.

Not sure if you're joking but the cave was relatively dry when they went in and then monsoon rains began, flooding it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Why don't they put the kids in sacks made of shark skin, the smoothest thing in the natural world, I bet they'd slide right through the passages

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Throw a bunch of glycerin and cellulose into the water, turning it into Astroglide. Then put the kids in shark-skin sacks. Then increase the air pressure inside the cave, and fire those kids kids down the tunnel at Mach 2.3

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Throw a bunch of glycerin and cellulose into the water, turning it into Astroglide. Then put the kids in shark-skin sacks. Then increase the air pressure inside the cave, and fire those kids kids down the tunnel at Mach 2.3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShYsBiB7wlE

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCFvqbSfgqM

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Okay, you've got my attention. More info please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Weird. I was wondering where my Fleshlight had gone.