Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Alternatively for sumida: arrive early and get smashed all day as is the local tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Richard M Nixon posted:

Well it's my girlfriend and I, so it's really two suitcases each. 18 days of clothes, climbing gear for fuji, a suit with a few pairs of dress clothes, and a bit of extra room for bringing home stupid poo poo I don't need.

Use a laundromat, and layer up on Fuji, dude.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

peanut posted:

Use a laundromat, and layer up on Fuji, dude.
I'm going with another couple and they made a face when they heard how much I'm bringing. Apparently they're doing laundry in the hotel sink...

I've never used a laundromat before and they kind of intimidate me. I considered having the hotel concierge send out our laundry but it's expensive enough that I may as well bring the clothes.

As long as I can easily transport stuff from place to place with takyubin, I don't mind spending a few hundred bucks or whatever to ship it around. The only time I'll have to deal with it all at once is going from the airport to my first hotel and the other way around when leaving.

At least, I've told myself it'll be that easy...I'm counting on not being that guy dragging two big rear end trunks behind me down the street. Please look for me and laugh.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I use a 40L pack for 2 weeks in Japan including rent, sleeping bag, poles, etc.

I think you can downsize from two suitcases. Just be smart about what you wear (avoid cotton, etc.)

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
Just buy any clothes you need at Uniqlo and throw them out when they get dirty.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Shemp the Stooge posted:

Just buy any clothes you need at Uniqlo and throw them out when they get dirty.

pro-tip also you don't have to pay tax as a tourist so its cheaper than ever

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

As a goon, uniqlo sizes are bullshit.
:goonsay:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'd skip the suit/dress clothes unless you have specific plans for them.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Please let your girlfriend do the packing and planning instead (and livepost when your friends snap and bail.)

vvv Godspeed, I hope you don't have a terrible trip.

peanut fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 5, 2018

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I've made a couple of dinner reservations that require semi formal dress, so that's an unfortunate burden on the luggage. Am I putting too much faith in the 'hands free travel' I keep reading about?

I definitely outsource the packing to her. I'm impressed at how organized our bags can get. She still insists on the carry on + checked bag each.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Which restaurants if you don't mind me asking?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Richard M Nixon posted:

I've made a couple of dinner reservations that require semi formal dress, so that's an unfortunate burden on the luggage. Am I putting too much faith in the 'hands free travel' I keep reading about?

I definitely outsource the packing to her. I'm impressed at how organized our bags can get. She still insists on the carry on + checked bag each.

You're most likely not going to need a suit for semi-formal. Don't show up in flip flops or tank tops.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Quick dry is your friend. Just get a couple of those travel quick dry shirts and wash them at night if you are so allergic to the laundry.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Stringent posted:

Which restaurants if you don't mind me asking?

Dens. Apparently my friend has been there enough that she can book anytime she wants by email.

Goonspeed dude.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Den really doesn't strike me as the kind of place you'd want to dress up for, but I've not been there.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Yeah collared shirt + not shorts would be fine.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

ntan1 posted:

Yeah collared shirt + not shorts would be fine.

Flipflops OK?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've never seen a Japanese restaurant enforce a dress code. I prefer to under dress, so I almost always go places in whatever I'm wearing at the moment. I've definitely been to Michelin places in tshirt/shorts/sandals and nobody's said anything. The only time I recall wearing a suit to go to a restaurant since my wedding was when we went to the upstairs Robuchon, but even then I don't think I wore a tie.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

800 dollar plain white tshirts are a thing now so I really wouldn't overthink dress code too much *spills wine on jorts*

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

ntan1 posted:

Dens. Apparently my friend has been there enough that she can book anytime she wants by email.

Goonspeed dude.

drat I called that place 50 times the other night and couldn’t get through

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

ntan1 posted:

Has anyone taken a vacation to Yamaguchi, Shimane, or Tottori and have any cool recommendations?

yeah...

There is plenty to do in Tottori!

You can go to the super-touristy Tottori Sand Dune and ride a camel or go sandboarding. This is the main thing Japanese people know about Tottori.

You can climb Mt. Mitoku, which has a cool temple that is built into the side of a cliff. You have to climb up tree roots and a chain to get to the top (a couple people fall off and die every year). Really nice views on the way.

You can join a researcher and crawl around in the river all night to look for the rare Japanese Giant Salamander.

You can go to a museum with 4,000 preserved fish. Highlights include a huge sunfish and the hall of pufferfish. Only 100 yen to get in if you are a foreigner.

You can hike/camp/cycle/ski on Mt. Daisen, the "Mt. Fuji of western Japan."

Of course there are tons of hot springs if that is your thing. The good ones are Misasa Onsen, Hawai Onsen, or Togo Onsen. Hawai & Togo sell clam flavored ice cream.

Ganguro King fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 5, 2018

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

peanut posted:

800 dollar plain white tshirts are a thing now so I really wouldn't overthink dress code too much *spills wine on jorts*

Or bright orange with smiley faces and reflective tape even :chanpop:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Richard M Nixon posted:

You said 4 suitcases, not 2 suitcases and 2 carry-ons. Unless you mean the little rolly carry-ons that barely fit in the overhead and make everyone else on the plane hate you

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

ALFbrot posted:

You said 4 suitcases, not 2 suitcases and 2 carry-ons. Unless you mean the little rolly carry-ons that barely fit in the overhead and make everyone else on the plane hate you

Oh yeah I'm considering carry ons as suitcases. It's this collection from Rimowa: https://www.rimowa.com/us/en/luggage/collection/original/

Two of the cabin sizes and two check in L. The carry ons are a bit large and sometimes I have to shove to fit the in the bins, but they almost always fit lengthwise. Only one airline (Alaska?) actually required turning them horizontally to make them fit. Looks like my seats on the plane don't have overhead storage since they're those little cabin things. I'm supposed to put the carry on under the front part of the cabin. I can't find measurements for that spot so we'll have to see... Right now we're the only two people in the cabin so maybe I can just tuck the bags in another seat if I have to...

For moving around the airport, I can stack the small ones atop the large ones and it feels like pulling one suitcase instead of two.

I did hear back from my Tokyo hotel that they'll send a porter to meet me in Tokyo station when I get off the Narita express so I can safely outsource the job to them.

On that note, I know tipping is frowned upon, but do you still tip porters? Every other country has them working for tips but...

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 5, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japan doesn't tip.

But it sounds like you're rich and inexperienced so just go hog wild :japan:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
good fellows, i intend to visit exotic foreign lands. i have chartered a private steamer to ferry myself and my spouse, along with all of our valuables. a coterie of stewards shall spirit away our countless bags, to be sure, but forsooth! i know not how much money to give them

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

:smith:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I like to visit Tokyo with so little money that I beg porters carrying my bags for change. Ask me about eating discarded fish market bones for essential protein

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Richard M Nixon posted:

I did hear back from my Tokyo hotel that they'll send a porter to meet me in Tokyo station when I get off the Narita express so I can safely outsource the job to them.

what the gently caress hahaha

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

LimburgLimbo posted:

what the gently caress hahaha

It's not like I'm being all dainty and having them send a chauffer. The hotel is connected to the station so they just sent me a message "hey you're checking in soon, send us your train and we'll meet you at the station".

It's my first international trip and I'm just an autist goon trying to plan out something unfamiliar by asking dumb questions on my dead gay forums.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ljOj6GVcnQ

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Richard M Nixon posted:

It's not like I'm being all dainty and having them send a chauffer. The hotel is connected to the station so they just sent me a message "hey you're checking in soon, send us your train and we'll meet you at the station".

It's my first international trip and I'm just an autist goon trying to plan out something unfamiliar by asking dumb questions on my dead gay forums.

Do you normally have a porter fetch your bags when you go stay at a fancy hotel in New York or Vegas?

I think the better way to redeem your self is to just travel more and tell us about your awesome Adventures.

Stay at the Anman in Tokyo and near Kyoto.

Even if you are clueless isn’t your wife /partner/ girlfriend /hug pillow traveling with you? How much experience does your partner have

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Japan is a perfectly fine place to be clueless, it's probably the simplest non-English speaking country to tourist. There's not really anything you need to think about. The most difficult task you'll encounter is a no pictures ticket machine outside a ramen place.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
And if you have internet and google translate it should be too bad to get around

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Richard M Nixon posted:

You're doing fine, don't sweat it. Everyone overpacks the first time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Richard M Nixon posted:

Looks like my seats on the plane don't have overhead storage since they're those little cabin things.

This means you’re flying at least business class. Which means I hate you. Unless you’re also over 6’4, in which case I fully understand.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have nowhere to put my bags because this full size bed and all these bottles of wine are in the way.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

harperdc posted:

This means you’re flying at least business class. Which means I hate you. Unless you’re also over 6’4, in which case I fully understand.

He said he’s on ANA, and ANA business class should have overhead bins as I recall. Could be some variation but should be there.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah business class still has overhead bins. Stuff you don't need during the flight goes up there. Stuff you will use during the flight stays under the seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Thanks, goons. It's my girlfriend's first int'l trip too. My job deals with strategy and risk management so I'm just naturally an anal planner to the extreme and I want to know every little detail I might encounter.

I'll post up my plans in a few days to get some feedback. They're probably a bit tame for an under-30 goon, but I'm hoping to do ok. I'll try to redeem myself as not being a basic dandy.

With hotels, yes, I'm used to pulling up to the valet and someone comes to grab the bags. I thought it was weird the first time but now I'm familiar with it. The platform meet and greet is just a normal thing the hotel does, apparently. I was just asking about having cash on hand because I didn't expect to have any small yen bills as soon as I got off the plane and I keep reading that it's low key insult to try an drip people.

Yes, I'm on ANA. At the risk of more lambasting, our seats are in first, which is why I was curious about bag sizes. The pictures I've seen of the cabin don't look like they have bins and indicate that the cubes have storage holes.